Menu

Grain Brain

Woodhaven

If you have read this, what do you think of it.  I am just beginning it and finding it interesting.

I haven't yet looked a the studies he keeps referencing, but mean to at some point.

My dh thinks it is just another "fad" diet and that he has something to sell.  What do you think?  Is this here to stay or just passing?

Edited to add: I have just reached the place where he advocates low carbs/high fat. 

He says he has cured all sorts of problems by having his patient go gluten free - from diagnoses such as migraines to involuntary body movements to mental illness.  Interesting.

I have this book, but haven't started reading it yet.  I went GF/more or less Paleo in July of this year. I do believe that fewer grains and lower carbs are very beneficial for my system. Whether or not that extends to everyone, it does seem to be true for me.

P.S. I came to my dietary concepts through Gary Taubes' books. I bought the book "Grain Brain," but don't know yet how much it has in common with Taubes. 

I have this book, but haven't started reading it yet.  I went GF/more or less Paleo in July of this year. I do believe that fewer grains and lower carbs are very beneficial for my system. Whether or not that extends to everyone, it does seem to be true for me.

P.S. I came to my dietary concepts through Gary Taubes' books. I bought the book "Grain Brain," but don't know yet how much it has in common with Taubes. 

I'm not familiar with Gary Taubes so I can't say what they have in common.  But Dr. Perlmutter says that gluten is bad for everyone.  He also states that what most people think of as "bad" cholesterol is not really bad.  The more you have the greater the decrease in mortality.  But he says that carbs are very, very bad for you and that they harm the cholesterol and it's function. 

He links low cholesterol to dementia. He also sites studies (I haven't looked at the actual studies myself) that show there is no correlation between cholesterol and heart attacks.   There is SO much more in this book and I am only a very little of the way through.  It seems to agree with what so many others are saying these days.  I just don't know  yet if the studies he sites are conclusive as he believes they are.

I have tried LC/HF diet, but got very dizzy.  Dr. Perimutter says that is because of "addiction" and withdrawal.  I think he said that the brain responds to carbs the way it does to drugs.

I'm finding this very interesting. I want to get my dh to read this book, but I'm not sure he will make the time.

Having recently been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, I have wondered about the link between my B12 deficiency and possible celiac disease.  I know I have a wheat sensitivity, but have never been diagnosed as having celiac disease.  B12 deficiency can cause all sorts of symptoms (migraines, restless leg syndrome, numbness, mental issues, etc).  One has to wonder if you can take away the cause of the inflammation (gluten), you would be better able to absorb the nutrients and in the process you would eliminate the negative symptoms.  I don't know what's going on with the food suppy and what changes have happened to wheat these days vs how it was grown years ago.  I have way more questions than firm answers/opinions.  I do think that these new diets are onto something.  Gluten free is a tough existence, though.                   

I have tried LC/HF diet, but got very dizzy.  Dr. Perimutter says that is because of "addiction" and withdrawal.  I think he said that the brain responds to carbs the way it does to drugs.

While there certainly seems to be something to carb additiction, my bet would be that the dizziness was either (1) from insufficient carbs while waiting for your body (and brain) to switch over to fat-burning, or more likely, (2) depeleted electrolytes, or both.

My dh thinks it is just another "fad" diet and that he has something to sell.  What do you think?  Is this here to stay or just passing?

. . .

He says he has cured all sorts of problems by having his patient go gluten free - from diagnoses such as migraines to involuntary body movements to mental illness.  Interesting.

I agree with your DH.  It's a total fad, just as the (many) other "x food is pure evil/pure perfection" episodes I've witnessed in my lifetime have been.  Live long enough and you figure out that foods are like fashions . . . what's in or out comes and goes and comes again.  Eventually I think most people figure out that moderation is the real answer.  It's not sexy or likely to be a bestseller if you write a book about it.  Preaching modereration isn't likely to make anyone a bunch of money in any way.  So it doesn't get much attention in a world that seems to be obsessed with all-or-nothing, everything has to be labeled as "good" or "bad," no middle ground way of thinking.

As far as what the author claims to have cured . . . well, the placebo effect is a very real thing.  If someone truly believes that removing a particular food or food group from their diet is going to be wonderfully helpful for whatever ailment(s) they have, no doubt it will be.  The human brain is a powerful thing.

I have requested it from the library after listening to a lecture by the author. I believe that people can react to different foods differently and I love to learn more.  I am very interested in the mental connection with gluten because I notice direct results on mood and behavior far more than a physical result.

I don't think everyone needs to be gluten free but that most people could benefit from less gluten in their diets (which really could just translate into more veggies and variety). I think fads do come and go, but being gluten free isn't brand new, many people have dealt with it for decades though perhaps with less commentary about it all (or at least less social media for people to network for support).

I have a child who does seem to react negatively to gluten, her behavior is much more stable when she is on a gluten free diet. I'm not sure about the claim that everyone would be better off eating gluten free or grain free, but I do believe it is not just those with celiac disease who have problems with gluten.

I'm not familiar with Gary Taubes so I can't say what they have in common. But Dr. Perlmutter says that gluten is bad for everyone. He also states that what most people think of as "bad" cholesterol is not really bad. The more you have the greater the decrease in mortality. But he says that carbs are very, very bad for you and that they harm the cholesterol and it's function.

He links low cholesterol to dementia. He also sites studies (I haven't looked at the actual studies myself) that show there is no correlation between cholesterol and heart attacks. There is SO much more in this book and I am only a very little of the way through. It seems to agree with what so many others are saying these days. I just don't know yet if the studies he sites are conclusive as he believes they are.

I have tried LC/HF diet, but got very dizzy. Dr. Perimutter says that is because of "addiction" and withdrawal. I think he said that the brain responds to carbs the way it does to drugs.

I'm finding this very interesting. I want to get my dh to read this book, but I'm not sure he will make the time.

I haven't read that book but I agree with all of that.

I like Gary Taubes, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" is a great (but long) read.

Humm... he does say that gluten is now hidden in everything - hand soap, seasonings, hand cream, make up, as well as food. He says it is bad for everyone. I understand and buy into LC/HF, but he says the gluten component is also important.

We have been GF for over a year and have had no trouble eliminating gluten from our house. I got rid of one hairspray (bummer because it was a great hairspray) and I started making more seasoning mixes (Italian dressing mix, taco and chili seasoning mix, etc).

I think it was easier for us because DH and I were already LCHF so we didn't have a lot of grains coming into the house.

Well, I've never heard of Grain Brain. But because we had to go gluten-free anyway and I have zero desire to read labels I stumbled across marksdailyapple.com, home of Primal Blueprint. For the last couple weeks, we have been grain free primal/paleo, with an occasional bump in the road. I just finished reading Primal Blueprint today, bought it on Friday.

DH was already high fat/low carb leaning during the day but eating what I cooked at home. but yesterday, he was absolutely on fire with his energy levels. Cleaning garage, packing his stuff up for a trip later this week, rearranging storage room, etc. he's still going strong today - working on laundry at the moment. :) he usually only does laundry when I'm away and he's out of underwear. LOL

DD's acne, headaches, dizziness, stomach aches -GONE.

DS's stomach aches. GONE.

My nausea after every meal. Gone. I also wake up earlier and am awake, not groggy for another two hours.

As far as I'm concerned, aside from an occasional treat now and then (cake at a birthday or similar) we will remain grain free.

Please excuse crappy formatting. On phone and editting is tough!

I think the idea that everyone needs to go completely gluten/grain free is a fad, just like the low fat thing was.  It seems like once or twice a decade, we pick one food group to demonize, and then a few years later the studies come out showing that, oops, people shouldn't have completely quit eating it after all.  I think people who eat a lot of processed food probably eat way too many carbs and for them there's likely some benefit in cutting back, but for those of us who eat a good balance of whole foods with lots of fruits and vegetables, I don't think there's much point in cutting out all grains and/or gluten.

Not familiar with it, but going whole30 and losing that 50 lbs has absolutely made me healthier in every way. So I'm sticking to it even if it hadn't made me feel tremendously better. Only wish I'd sucked it up and done it earlier. I've got multiple drs around me today verifying that they don't care what I call it, but how I'm eating is how they wish everyone would.

And I still have the occasional decadent meal. But they are far far fewer. Like maybe once every 5 weeks or so. And in moderation.

My husband and mother in law have IBS and get "brain fog" with more than small (very small) amounts of wheat in their diets.  I assume this books is about that? I don't think it's an issue for most people.  But if you've been living with it your whole life and then go GF, it's probably an amazing difference.

My husband is doing FODMAPS and it's made a huge difference.  I've seen some good data about FODMAPs, a diet that  lowers some specific carbs (for people who need it -- again, not everyone).

My larger neighbor went on the Whole 30 diet and lost 40 lbs. This has been life changing for her,  but I don't believe the no/low carb. diet is for all. It sound a lot like Dr. Atkins diet from the 1970's. Probably most helpful is eliminating all processed foods and sugar from ones diet and eating with moderation. Beyond what one consumes for energy is how one uses that energy i.e., moving and being physically active.

Scientific American  article on the paleo diet. 

A critical look at "Brain fog" or "Grain Brain" from AlterNet:

Not surprisingly, the many dramatic dietary changes Perlmutter advocates are drawing their share of criticism on multiple fronts. Some skeptics have acknowledged that the studies Perlmutter cites are compelling, and raise important questions. But the conclusion that carbs and gluten will team up to glycate your brain into dementia, they say, is premature.

The examples Perlmutter provides from his private practice, they complain, are anecdotal, and used inappropriately in support of his thesis. There are also concerns about negative health consequences of a high-fat, low-carb diet, both in healthy people and for those with specific conditions, like adrenal or thyroid issues. The specific recommendation of 60 or fewer grams of carbohydrate per day has drawn a lot of blowback, including from active people who say it simply isn't enough to sustain their lifestyles.

...Not surprisingly, the many dramatic dietary changes Perlmutter advocates are drawing their share of criticism on multiple fronts. Some skeptics have acknowledged that the studies Perlmutter cites are compelling, and raise important questions. But the conclusion that carbs and gluten will team up to glycate your brain into dementia, they say, is premature.

The examples Perlmutter provides from his private practice, they complain, are anecdotal, and used inappropriately in support of his thesis. There are also concerns about negative health consequences of a high-fat, low-carb diet, both in healthy people and for those with specific conditions, like adrenal or thyroid issues. The specific recommendation of 60 or fewer grams of carbohydrate per day has drawn a lot of blowback, including from active people who say it simply isn't enough to sustain their lifestyles.

I think the everyone should stay away from the evil gluten is a fad. I absolutely believe gluten is an issue for a lot of people. I have friends who experienced the elimination of many of their health problems-IBS, migraines, and the like by going gluten free.

I know from my own experience that I did not receive amazing life benefits when I went gluten free.  I felt the same when I follow a low carb diet as I did when I tried gluten free. So I try to limit my carbs.  Which is challenging because I love carbs.  My ds is also a carb lover.  My dd can take them or leave them (like my dh)

I get 'brain fog' when I'm full no matter what I eat.  I think I need to move to one of those countries where an afternoon nap is socially acceptable past the age of 5.  

We really enjoy bread at my house, but my family has never eaten very much of it.  The whole reason I started making homemade bread was that they couldn't seem to finish a loaf before it molded or got stale.  If I had to toss bread, I'd rather 'waste' a 25 cent loaf than a $3.00 loaf even if I had to bake now and then.  I live in a middle class suburb and everyone seems to be GF these days.  I only know one kid who actually gets sick from gluten.  The rest are people who are giving this GF thing a go for various physical and behavioral reasons.  In my area, it IS getting easier and easier to eat GF on the go.  GF signs are everywhere.

I have tried numerous diets for health reasons (not weight loss reasons) and I feel best when I give up most red meat ( eating it once a week at the most), dairy, processed grains, and processed food in general.  Probably no surprise.  The emptier the calorie, the more of a waste it is...to take in calories, causes that metabolic oxidative damage, and get no nutritional value for it.  Doing that (tons of empty calories) as MOST of the diet/or in excess as a percentage of course will cause long term damage and health issues along the way.

As for grain and dairy, I started having problems with:  arthritis, skin irritation, *constant* coughing (asthma variant cough), migraines, Meniere's (diagnosed through extensive testing), and random inflammation issues with my eyes, chest muscles, etc.  Ie, I was falling apart for no reason I could see. (Not overweight, don't drink, don't smoke, relatively happy/healthy lifestyle...).  My doctor said, "You are having autoimmune cascades, but we haven't yet figured out the underlying reason."

It was very frustrating.  I gave up dairy and wheat, the one, then the other, then both again, and ALL of my symptoms went away.  And stayed away.  When I would add one or the other for a small cheat, symptoms would start to come back.  Made a believer out of me.  I have been tested for all of these foods as actual allergies, and I am NOT allergic to them. 

It was honestly kind of fascinating, like turning a light switch on and off.

I have never been overweight, but I was getting a middle age "gut."  When I went off dairy and wheat, I started losing weight in my stomach, hips and thighs, even though I hadn't lost a large amount of weight overall.   When I've lost that SAME amount of weight just by eating less (but not changing WHAT I ate), I could lose a few pounds but never from those problem areas. 

It is really kind of remarkable. 

My thinking cleared up.  I wasn't constantly tired. I feel so much better and I'm wearing my pre-baby clothes. For the record I am 43.

It probably varies by person.  For me, dairy and gluten/grains are the devil. 

Oh, but the brain fog issue?  I haven't seen that myself.  I don't feel foggier on low carb or high carb or any version in between (except if my blood sugar drops very low).

Me, too. I feel much better in several respects without gluten and dairy in my diet, but I never experienced "brain fog" with grains or without. Most of my problems with gluten and dairy are digestive.  I just had hamburger buns yesterday against my better judgement (I was at a relative's house and didn't want to offend). It felt like I had a 10-lb. rock in my gut. I didn't feel better until I was relieved of my intestinal contents after coffee.  :tongue_smilie:

Tonight, I made dressing substitute (quinoa) and sweet potato casserole equivalent (butternut squash). We had those with steamed green beans, mushrooms, panchetta, onion. And a small amount of turkey and gravy. The only grain what what was in the gravy. I can't believe how different I feel. I'm satisfied, but not uncomfortably full and bloated. No indigestion either. Definitely worth investigating.

My larger neighbor went on the Whole 30 diet and lost 40 lbs. This has been life changing for her,  but I don't believe the no/low carb. diet is for all.

I just want to correct this. And I'm on morphine so forgive me if I'm not as coherent as I try to be.

Whole30 is not no carb or low carb.

It is nutrient dense carbs.

If people follow the templates, there's often many carbs.

For example my favorite breakfast is:

4-5 eggs scrambled in a 1/2TB ghee (#depends on if I've had a morning workout or not.)

Thinly sliced large sweet potato brushed w/olive oil and roasted sometimes I add 1/2 a honey crisp apple sliced to it

1/2-1 avocado

At least 1/2 my plate should be carbs.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with your DH.  It's a total fad, just as the (many) other "x food is pure evil/pure perfection" episodes I've witnessed in my lifetime have been.  Live long enough and you figure out that foods are like fashions . . . what's in or out comes and goes and comes again.  Eventually I think most people figure out that moderation is the real answer.  It's not sexy or likely to be a bestseller if you write a book about it.  Preaching modereration isn't likely to make anyone a bunch of money in any way.  So it doesn't get much attention in a world that seems to be obsessed with all-or-nothing, everything has to be labeled as "good" or "bad," no middle ground way of thinking.

As far as what the author claims to have cured . . . well, the placebo effect is a very real thing.  If someone truly believes that removing a particular food or food group from their diet is going to be wonderfully helpful for whatever ailment(s) they have, no doubt it will be.  The human brain is a powerful thing.

Have you read the book?

I just finished. I don't see it as a fad at all. And I can't identify a sales - other than the book - mechanism associated with it. He's not making shakes, bars, chocolate, fake bread. Or, at least, it's not in the book if he is.

I think the book is great research, evidence based, well documented for the first 2/3. After that it nosedives from a quality perspective.

FWIW, he allows non gluten carbs in moderation such as rice.

And "moderation" is a nightmare for my body and milions of others. I tried it. A very, very "healthy" moderation made me gain weight, irritable, sleep poorly.

I think the idea that everyone needs to go completely gluten/grain free is a fad, just like the low fat thing was.  It seems like once or twice a decade, we pick one food group to demonize, and then a few years later the studies come out showing that, oops, people shouldn't have completely quit eating it after all.  I think people who eat a lot of processed food probably eat way too many carbs and for them there's likely some benefit in cutting back, but for those of us who eat a good balance of whole foods with lots of fruits and vegetables, I don't think there's much point in cutting out all grains and/or gluten.

Totally agree. I actually have had major gut issues and have done elimination diets. Minimizing sugar consumption and processed foods, and moving to a more whole foods diet have been a HUGE improvement for me. Healthy stress management and regular exercise are important too. I never saw any big difference with gluten containing items or grains in particular for me. I was vegetarian for a while and I did not feel healthy as a vegetarian.

I don't doubt there are people that do better off of gluten. But I do wonder if some subset people who jump to eliminate gluten would have seen the same kind of improvement off of processed foods and lower carb in general?

I haven't read the book, but I've been hearing a lot about it. I am accidentally gluten free and will not go back to it, even for testing. I think for many people it is the latest thing to try, but on the flip side, I wish more doctors would be open-minded about leaky gut, generational effects of poor nutrition or inherited nutrient deficiencies, the effects from a lack of breastfeeding on gut health (not getting good bugs from mom, particularly over two or three generations), underlying causes of inflammation, etc. The sheer number of people that experience good results from going gluten free makes me totally irritated that many doctors dismiss it or not encourage patients with some of the most common issues to give it a real try.

I think some people have underlying problems that make gluten a lot worse for them than others and that those people can experience potentially permanent changes to metabolism, gut health, endocrine system, etc. as a result of that. I feel this is the case with me, and I definitely feel like my body will never be quite the same again, no matter how careful I am. One side of my family has major inflammatory diseases that are widespread--they have generations of people who died as children (or almost died, including my mom) and many have severe problems with chronic inflammatory conditions (both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis are ubiquitous) that start young and affect several generations. I think that as food has changed and my sickly family members started living longer, it's been a ticking time bomb for underlying health issues.

Well I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I've been grain-free for years, long before the Paleo craze went mainstream. And that's thanks to my very progressive nutritionist as well as my own interest and research. However I am finding that I have developed a certain kind of fogginess that I didn't have when eating grains plus I find it very difficult to keep weight on. The kinds of things I would generally snack on are carby, bready things but since those things are off-limits I decide, well I'm not actually hungry and don't end up eating anything. Also I find I get very full now, very easily because my system has become so used to not having to digest grains.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I've been visiting the King Arthur flour site recently and am entertaining the idea of beginning to eat fermented breads again. Loving all the gadgets and equipment that go with baking :D We'll see. I definitely have an issue with wheat (bloating, cramps etc) but I think other grains are likely fine.