Menu

Stocking stuffer ideas?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Since many of us are probably in the thick of holiday planning right now, it seems like a good time to post this link:

http://www.jennablogs.com/2011/10/150-stocking-stuffer-ideas.html

If anyone else has any awesome ideas, I'm all ears. I'd love it if people have ideas for DH's stocking too. Every year I get stuck on this!

ETA: Oh my goodness, I just saw that she linked a new blog post with 450 ideas!

http://www.jennablogs.com/2013/11/450-stocking-stuffer-ideas.html

I guess I should be able to fill a few stockings with these ideas. 

One thing I've been doing since July is visiting our really nice GoodWill store. I'm picking up little odds and ends that I think would be cute in their stocking.

Just a thought.

Another really cute idea is to order holiday library books -- wrap them beautifully -- and then open one each evening in December to read. Of course the books end up back at the library but it's all in fun. (Lot of work: all that wrapping.)

Alley

Since many of us are probably in the thick of holiday planning right now, it seems like a good time to post this link:

http://www.jennablogs.com/2011/10/150-stocking-stuffer-ideas.html

If anyone else has any awesome ideas, I'm all ears. I'd love it if people have ideas for DH's stocking too. Every year I get stuck on this!

ETA: Oh my goodness, I just saw that she linked a new blog post with 450 ideas!

http://www.jennablogs.com/2013/11/450-stocking-stuffer-ideas.html

I guess I should be able to fill a few stockings with these ideas. 

Looks like a fun list--I'll have to go through it later when I have more time. I thought it was funny that on the big list #10 is a baby sling. Would that really fit in a stocking? Or maybe she meant a doll-sized one? But then she didn't say doll-sized so I'm thinking she meant full-sized. That's the only one that seemed odd in the first 50 that I've looked at so far. Hopefully I'll get some new ideas from her lists. Thanks!

My kids are 5 & 3....things I'm thinking of for the stockings: flashlight, small book, spot it game, play jewelry (girl), little cars (boy)...(we leave their stockings in their bed for them to wake up and find,so all our stuffers are left unwrapped and need no supervision or assistance. Still trying to think of shows topper stuffers to add to my list. (:

Re: tape--colored painter's tape (masking tape with light tack) is nice if your dc like to stick things to walls. And blue or green tape is much more fun than normal masking tape. Duct tape is fun too and there are lots of great patterns now, as well as craft ideas to go with it.

For the 3 year old:

Binoculars
Small Wooden Puzzle
Toob--Transportation
Bendable Q-Man Magnets
Sling shot flying high Santa
colored Duck Tape
Candy

For the 16 year old:

A nose pencil sharpner
Dr Freud's Therapy Ball--like an 8 ball--he is into Psychology this year
Dr Who socks
DVD
Colored Duck Tape
Candy
Gift card or cash

I've decided to make stockings for my parents this year and I'm having a difficult time coming up with ideas for my father. His hobby is genealogy which doesn't lend itself well to small goodies but he does travel quite a bit so, even though I don't know his travel habits well, I'm trying to think of unique items that might make traveling more fun. Any ideas?

Every couple years I buy a box of astronaut ice cream (much cheaper than buying individually), put three in each stocking and save the rest for next year. The kids love that stuff, and it's only for Christmas.

Thinking putty

Satsumas

Little puzzles

Call me a complete moron, but for at least a minute there, I was trying to picture in my mind exactly what a "nose pencil" was. :blush:

They don't come any more clueless than me. :D

lol I wouldn't be surprised if such a thing existed!

Most of my examples have been a hit with someone in the family or are frequently requested. Warning: we are practical folks, so some ideas may be boring to those looking for pizazz. One or two are untried but planned for this year.

I second the tape and bandaids--our kids like having their "own" supplies. Other ideas might be particular pencils, pens, markers, etc. that they've complained they don't have enough of or that everyone uses up before they get to. I asked for my own box of "happy" blue pens last year much to everyone's amusement. Freebie pens are almost always black, and we're too cheap to buy others because we get quite the steady supply of free ones. My DH loves gel pens.

Spice mixes--we got rave reviews for the homemade taco seasoning mix we gave out last year (no sugar, gluten, etc.). I think this is basically what we used, though we leave out the red pepper: http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/05/diy-homemade-taco-seasoning.html

DH likes Starbuck's Doubleshots, and he likes "Hot Can" self-heating beverages to take with him when he is outside in the cold.

Ladies in our family like knitted or crocheted dishcloths. I put them on my list every year and prefer them over store bought cloths.

If you have "green" folks in the family, real handkerchiefs are nice as well as microfiber cleaning cloths. Cloth napkins may be appreciated too--it takes quite a stash if you don't use paper products.

If I get the chance, I want to make homemade lotion for stockings.

Real soap made with vegetable oils or goat milk, etc. Since we've switched to these types of soaps, we have a lot less itchy, dry skin in the winter. My SIL has soaps on her list every year.

Mini tools--We found mini utility knives one year, and everyone in my family got one. They were a huge hit. I heard all about how everyone used them later. http://www.lowes.com/pd_234940-16878-54099_0__?productId=3339788 Lowe's has a lot of this kind of stuff near holidays.

Little kitchen stuff that people won't always buy for themselves--that extra nice tool you have that your SIL raves about. My best peeler and my nicest paring knives were gifts like this.

Regional candies or foods, particularly if the recipient now lives "away" from where that item is easily available.

Gardening stuff for people who like to garden (gloves, hand cleaner, etc.). It's a great way to share seeds that no one needs in large quantities (like herbs) or to share seeds from your own plants that gardening friends have admired. I found some "seed bombs" that can be a fun way for kids to try planting things. http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/dunecraft/seed_bombs_butterfly_and_bird_mixture.cfm?source=google_pla&kwid=DC086&gclid=CMmA54Wb3roCFWrNOgodpEoAgA

If you have an herb garden, you can dry your fresh herbs and give them to the cooks in the family.

Loose-leaf tea, favorite coffees.

Craft kits (or knitting needles, notions, etc.) for the crafty folks or kids in the family. You can preassemble them from stuff you have or buy them (paracord bracelets, rainbow loom, embroidery floss for friendship bracelets, etc.)

My kids like small, self-contained science experiments like these: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/six-test-tube-experiments-in-a-rack.html Sometimes you can find them individually.

Car stuff--air fresheners, rain-x packets, nice chamois, stuff to get bugs off the grill.

Gourmet jam

If you have a food dehydrator, dried fruit (apple rings, etc.) is nice. So nice, in fact, that the rest of the family may purchase dehydrators, lol!

If you know folks well, gag gifts are fun as long as they aren't mean, over-the-top, or a replacement for a real gift. My mom always pulls something off with my brother. One time, he ranted and raved about how stupid and useless snack-sized baggies are. So of course, my mom remembered at Christmas and wrapped up a box for him. His reaction was priceless. It's a running joke between them that my mom will find something irritating for him pretty much every year, and he will provide an entertaining reaction--I think he looks forward to putting on a show of irritation because she always finds or remembers the most ordinary and unexpected things that bug him.

I've decided to make stockings for my parents this year and I'm having a difficult time coming up with ideas for my father. His hobby is genealogy which doesn't lend itself well to small goodies but he does travel quite a bit so, even though I don't know his travel habits well, I'm trying to think of unique items that might make traveling more fun. Any ideas?

If he has a bigger camera, a nice camera strap.  A little first aid kit.  A photo album or frame for his favorite pictures from his trips.  If he uses any pay type sites for the genealogy stuff maybe you could gift him a membership.  A roll of quarters - I never manage to have enough quarters for parking meters when I go someplace new.

• 3 weeks later...

I just linked this thread on one I started, and thought of a great idea (but it's junk food): a can of Pringles or Lay's Stacks. My dc would like them and the Lay's Stax are about $1, I think. Plus it would fill out a stocking nicely if that were needed. 

Stax potato chips

pic removed 9-11-14

Now that I think they are about done...

Duck tape in both sizes

Cars

Candy

Pedicure set

Flashlight/glowstick combo

Ornaments

Socks

Crayons

Activity packs from the Dollar spot

Toothbrushes

Bracelets

Wall color Roll

Sticky notepads in their initials

Trains

Silly Putty

Magic Pen book

Chopsticks

Pot Holders

Stop Watch

Water bottle

Personalized Pencils

List pad

Funnel Cake Mix

That's everybody, not just one stocking.  Though I think DH's is a little light so ideas are very welcome!

Great ideas, everyone!

That's everybody, not just one stocking.  Though I think DH's is a little light so ideas are very welcome!

DH always gets some scratch-off lottery tickets, a small bottle of some good liquor (usually one of the more expensive Johnny Walker types, but that one is pricy, and he doesn't usually get a main gift too), and white chocolate truffles (the Lindt kind you can buy at the grocery store). Does any of that help? Maybe we need a separate thread for DH stocking stuffers...

Great ideas, everyone!

DH always gets some scratch-off lottery tickets, a small bottle of some good liquor (usually one of the more expensive Johnny Walker types, but that one is pricy, and he doesn't usually get a main gift too), and white chocolate truffles (the Lindt kind you can buy at the grocery store). Does any of that help? Maybe we need a separate thread for DH stocking stuffers...

Yes, a DH stocking stuffer thread would be good!  DH's stocking has a set of massage oils (with a promise that they'll be used); tickets to a family event he'll like; iphone accessories (some camera lenses and other things) and some other items.  I thought I'd finished but now think I'll need a few more items.

Kids are easier.  :)  We've got lots of the above ideas included, too!