Menu

Help me pick a TV show (bonus newborn picture)

Annie

I need a TV show to watch during middle of the night nursing sessions, and I'm not sure what to start.  My little guy needs to be upright for 20 minutes or so after he finishes eating to avoid spitting it all up, and I need something to help keep me awake.  The challenge is that it can't be so interesting that I want to keep watching it instead of going back to sleep!   I'm just finishing up Hart of Dixie, which is a fairly silly CW show about a doctor from NYC who moves down to rural Alabama.  It's kind of like 7th Heaven or Secret Life of the American Teenager.  So, I need a kind of hokey TV show that will keep me awake when I need to be but not interested enough to keep watching when I should be sleeping.  I'm semi open to reality TV, but I think I would prefer something else.  I'm attaching a bonus baby picture for your time. :lol:

Shows I like but have seen (and are likely too entertaining ;) ):

Bones

Breaking Bad

Big Bang Theory

HIMYM

Mad Men

SVU

Good Eats

Project Runway

Top Chef

post-11246-0-77936000-1383170608_thumb.jpg

post-11246-0-77936000-1383170608_thumb.jpg

Fringe. Though this falls into the really good I'm obsessed kind of watching.

Numbers. Interesting enough but not gonna make you stay awake for the next.

My last two babies stunk at sleeping so I cannot even remember how many shows I completed during the combined 2 +years.

And you lucky young'uns these days...back in my baby days, I was at the mercy of whatever was on TV in the middle of the night.  

Yep. I think I saw every episode of Rhoda at least four times (in reruns; I'm old, but I'm not that old!).

I wonder if the kids remember the voices or music later on. We used to watch a soap opera during our lunch break in law school, and one guy could not figure out why the theme music made him so very sleepy. He asked his mom about it, and she told him she used to put him down for his nap every day in time for her to watch All My Children.

Topic?

Maybe Royal Pains? Fluffy, pretty people and scenery, not much to remember from one episode to the next.

From your list, I put in another vote for Parenthood, which is light and fluffy - like if all the drama of your real life could be wrapped up with a neat bow and you had three awesome adult siblings to rely on whenever anything went wrong.

Or try one of the various USA shows.  White Collar, Suits, and Royal Pains are all light but compelling.

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions!  My DH loves Psych, and I've only seen a few of them, so maybe I'll give that a try.  I had thought about watching The Office again because I saw it for the first time back when it aired.  I'm glad I'm not at the mercy of late night TV! 

The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, Star Trek TNG (my current favorite!), The West Wing, Castle (very hokey)

West Wing is on Netflix atm. It is very good.

I like Castle, it makes me laugh sometimes. I started watching it cause it has Nathan Fillion in it. :lol: It is light and hokey.

On that note, Firefly and the accompanying movie, Serenity are on netflix. It is very good if you haven't seen it.

I watched all 8 seasons of desperate housewives when I was nursing! I don't know if that would be tempting to watch the next episode or not. Switched at Birth is what I thought of when you said you liked Hart of Dixie and 7th Heaven. It's a sweet show about girls who were switched in the hospital and the families trying to deal with it when the information comes out when the girls are 16. One of the girls is deaf and there is a lot of ASL. I love that show!

I remember my mom loved The West Wing when it was on. Hmmmmm...

I had never heard of Firefly before, but it looks like it gets great reviews when I looked it up just now.

My sister thinks I should watch Grey's Anatomy, but I'm afraid it will be good enough to keep me up, lol,

Friday Night Lights was entertaining. Maybe because I grew up in small OK and TX towns and so much of it had notes that rang true. I am not into sports and really dislike football but loved the character stories that it was really about. Plus is that they are shorter episodes too.

Just want to say that moms in the age of Netflix and streaming are way luckier than those of us with ancient kiddos. I had to watch Dr. 90210 with my youngest, and Dharma and Greg with my oldest. Now I still have a soft spot for Jenna Elfman, but I can barely even read that a celeb has had a most job without cringing at the memory of seeing the plastic surgeons break a girl's nose. Permanently traumatized by that.

Carry on.

Just want to say that moms in the age of Netflix and streaming are way luckier than those of us with ancient kiddos. I had to watch Dr. 90210 with my youngest, and Dharma and Greg with my oldest. Now I still have a soft spot for Tea Leoni, but I can barely even read that a celeb has had a most job without cringing at the memory of seeing the plastic surgeons break a girl's nose. Permanently traumatized by that.

Carry on.

I am really glad we have Netflix! But I loved Dharma and Greg! I haven't seen that in ages.

Frasier has been my go to middle of the night show for awhile. It's funny enough to be interesting, but soothing enough that you can fall asleep quickly. And there are something like 11 seasons, so you can watch for months!

I recently watched Rules of Engagement on Netflix and liked it and I just started HIMYM. I can't remember if they have it on Netflix, but Bunheads was a great show. Gilmore Girls too. 

Beautiful baby!

Bunheads was a great show. Gilmore Girls too. 

Beautiful baby!

I was so bummed that Bunheads was cancelled!  Loved Gilmore Girls, and Buffy and Angel, as others have mentioned, as well.  Gilmore Girls would be a fun one to get into--it could last for a couple of months, 'til the little guy is sleeping through the night.

New Girl and The Mindy Project are both hilarious and only 22 minutes each.

If you're a history nerd, you can watch several old seasons of Antiques Roadshow on their website. I burned through a few of those while nursing my first!

I'm watching Ballykissangel now on Amazon. Folksy Irish humor. Give the cast time to grow on you. The episodes aren't cliff-hangy so it's easy to watch one show and move on. Being Human (BBC) was fun too, but I had trouble watching one at a time. If you're a Betty White fan try Hot in Cleveland. Those are 20 min episodes.