Menu

Amazon has a $60 off coupon for Kindles --

Guest dalia22

Guest dalia22

Hi,

I don't know if it is ok to post, but Amazon has a $60 off coupon for Kindles that means that the Kindle, 6" E Ink Display , Wi-Fi Including Special Offers is $9 right now...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_385446762_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1001426231&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=195B6CGHKTVF8CX8P8KA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1638623042&pf_rd_i=507846

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dalia22

Mmh, that's weird... I just got the cheapest one with the $60 off coupon for $9...

Maybe it's $60 off for Prime Members only? I'm sorry about that... 

A Google search turned up the following message, apparently from Amazon's customer service:

Customers who are heavy book purchasers will only be given a discount on any brand-new Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 2nd Generation, Kindle Fire HD, or Kindle Fire HDX model. This promotion is running through 11:59 p.m. PST, October 29, 2013.

If you are eligible, you will receive the offer via e-mail with a link to the website to redeem the offer. No promotion code is required--all you have to do is sign into your account, add the eligible Kindle to your cart, and purchase the device.

Please note that, if you receive the offer link either through a deals website or from an eligible customer, you will not be able to redeem this offer. If you visit the website, you will be told that you aren't eligible for the offer, and will be directed to other great deals we're offering for Kindle content and accessories.

I wonder if they mean heavy hard copy book purchasers, to encourage a switch to an e-reader. BUT... I am not eligible either and I spend every spare dime I have on books, so that just ticks me off big time. There is a Kindle registered to my account though (was a gift from my mom, so I didn't buy it), and I (angrily) wonder if that is why I am not eligible. Hey Amazon, it is broken!

DS10 wants a Paperwhite for Christmas. This would have been awesome.

Guest dalia22

Weird. I have maybe 20 kindle books and my ipad app... I do have Amazon Prime. I didn't receive an email from Amazon ... I just went on Amazon to rent a movie for the kids and I saw the offer. I had to click a coupon button to get the offer. We don't have any Kindles but I do buy a lot of hard copy books :)

I'm sorry about the confusion. I saw that and thought that this would be for everybody. 

Weird. I have maybe 20 kindle books and my ipad app... I do have Amazon Prime. I didn't receive an email from Amazon ... I just went on Amazon to rent a movie for the kids and I saw the offer. I had to click a coupon button to get the offer. We don't have any Kindles but I do buy a lot of hard copy books :)

I'm sorry about the confusion. I saw that and thought that this would be for everybody. 

Oh, don't feel bad! This is wonderful for some people! It's Amazon who should apologize...and send me an e-mail. ;)

I saw this and was so irritated w/ Amazon because of it. We have multiple kindles and read a lot of books on them. One of ours broke a few weeks ago and we are just past the warranty/replacement period. I spoke with the customer service people to see if they could help me figure out why it suddenly died. They basically said that it is completely dead and they can't help. They have offered me a little off of the cost of a refurbished kindle if I want to replace it. So- they are offering new ones for less to random people? I think whoever was in charge of this promotion is going to be in trouble because I see more people irritated by it than people who are happy about it. Did they think people wouldn't talk? I think they are getting more negative press than happy customers.

I saw this and was so irritated w/ Amazon because of it. We have multiple kindles and read a lot of books on them. One of ours broke a few weeks ago and we are just past the warranty/replacement period. I spoke with the customer service people to see if they could help me figure out why it suddenly died. They basically said that it is completely dead and they can't help. They have offered me a little off of the cost of a refurbished kindle if I want to replace it. So- they are offering new ones for less to random people? I think whoever was in charge of this promotion is going to be in trouble because I see more people irritated by it than people who are happy about it. Did they think people wouldn't talk? I think they are getting more negative press than happy customers.

I had the same thing happen with a Kindle Fire HD just last month. I am livid.

I got so excited for a minute! My original kindle died a few months ago and this would have been a great replacement. I use my Fire HD for most stuff now, but it's nice having one exclusively for books. I'm a pretty heavy Amazon (and Prime!) user too....we don't have too many stores near us, so most of my non-grocery shopping is on Amazon.

Have you tried putting in a new battery?  You can get a new one from places like Batteries Plus, and there are tutorials online that show you how to do it.

Have you tried putting in a new battery?  You can get a new one from places like Batteries Plus, and there are tutorials online that show you how to do it.

The screen is broken and they said there's nothing that will fix that. Their tech support talked me through everything. The battery will charge and it will turn on but the screen is pixelated and frozen. It's weird, because the screen is actually not physically cracked at all but they said it was definitely a broken screen.

The screen is broken and they said there's nothing that will fix that. Their tech support talked me through everything. The battery will charge and it will turn on but the screen is pixelated and frozen. It's weird, because the screen is actually not physically cracked at all but they said it was definitely a broken screen.

Ah.  That sucks. :(   There's a sort of bubble layer under the visible screen from what I've read, and if that gets damaged, there's no way to fix it.  I'm amazed it hasn't happened to mine yet, with all the times I've dropped it.  :o

A Google search turned up the following message, apparently from Amazon's customer service:

I wonder if they mean heavy hard copy book purchasers, to encourage a switch to an e-reader. BUT... I am not eligible either and I spend every spare dime I have on books, so that just ticks me off big time. There is a Kindle registered to my account though (was a gift from my mom, so I didn't buy it), and I (angrily) wonder if that is why I am not eligible. Hey Amazon, it is broken!

DS10 wants a Paperwhite for Christmas. This would have been awesome.

I don't know what it is but we have a heavily used prime account and buy books at least monthly, some ebooks, but mostly paper books and we got nothing and it says we aren't eligible.

Which sucks big time because I'm in the market to buy 8 kindles for Christmas if there's any way we can finagle the expense. :(

That's weird. I'm on student prime, buy a lot of books usually (although not recently), have an Kindle app, and it gave me the offer. Between the discount and the a gift card balance, I paid 2.70 for the cheapest Kindle. That will work out great for school.

Argh!!! I'm happy for you. Argh!

*really wants promotion too*

Hmmmm, I got the $40 off offer.  I have Prime, buy a lot of Kindle books(5 or more per month) and spend a lot of money on paper books and other stuff.  I think I deserved the $60.  I bought the regular fire for $99 (Christmas present for my nephew).  Maybe I should call them to complain?

I wonder if this deal is randomly generated. I've got Prime - spend a couple hundred minimum a month on Amazon and buy at least 5 books a month, sometimes lots more than that and I got the "sorry you get nothing" coupon.

Hm, I'm eligible for the $20 off. Would have loved more, but at least I have that much. Now, should I get it or not? Cuz I really don't need one. And I love having a real book in my hands.

... But I do have lots of those e-books on my kindle-for-computer app...  :confused1:

Dear Amazon,

I just wanted to let you know that I was tempted by your $20-off-Kindles offer and I put the new Kindle Paperwhite in my cart last night. However, after sleeping on the idea, I realized that I really love the feel of a real book in my hand and $20 off isn't enough for me to buy an e-reader. Should the Kindle Paperwhite be discounted $40, I'll think again about buying one. I'm pretty sure I would have the Paperwhite in a box and on the way to my house right now (with one of those fancy leather covers included in the order) if it would have been a $60 off coupon instead of a $20 off coupon. Sorry I couldn't press the Buy button this time like I usually do with those glorious hardback and paper books you send me so often. 

Much love & kisses,

RootAnn

Ha! Just for fun, I clicked on the link at the top of this thread. It said "$20 off".

First, I am not even in the market for a kindle. I like my real books.

Second, I spend A LOT on real books at Amazon each year. Why would I not get a $60 off coupon? It makes no sense. (And yes, even though I don't want one!)

Third, this really makes me want to shop more at Barnes and Noble brick and mortar stores, with my 20% off educator's discount card. For some reason, this whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. For those who really want to buy a kindle, it's really unfair that some get a big discount while others get a small one or none at all. Really unappealing.

My current Kindle works fine, but if Amazon offered me a decent discount I'd probably bite and get a paperwhite.  But so far I don't seem to merit any discount at all.  Which is a huge bummer considering I've been a Kindle user for years and have bought many, many books. Sigh.

Ha! Just for fun, I clicked on the link at the top of this thread. It said "$20 off".

First, I am not even in the market for a kindle. I like my real books.

Second, I spend A LOT on real books at Amazon each year. Why would I not get a $60 off coupon? It makes no sense. (And yes, even though I don't want one!)

Third, this really makes me want to shop more at Barnes and Noble brick and mortar stores, with my 20% off educator's discount card. For some reason, this whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. For those who really want to buy a kindle, it's really unfair that some get a big discount while others get a small one or none at all. Really unappealing.

Yep. I spend a fortune on Amazon every year. Forgetting the sheer quantity of book purchases I have made as a book addict turned homeschooler... My baby registry was on Amazon, and my family's wish lists have been on Amazon for at least a decade. Family and friends have bought from those wish lists for birthdays and Christmas for years. So 5 people x 2 (at minimum) birthdays/holidays x 7-10 years + the times my mom just sends us something from our wish lists to spoil us... I have had Prime since it was first offered, and Amazon is my go-to site for almost all purchases. I can't even begin to estimate the amount of business we have brought the company!

It might be unreasonable, but I am getting irate over this. Not for a second do I believe this is random. No way. They are calculating odds. Who knows what factors go into the calculation but honestly, if I had to guess, I would guess that I have actually been too loyal of a customer for the offer.

Because I was so frustrated by this situation (again, even though I haven't any desire to buy a kindle, it's just the whole *point* of it all), I emailed them and complained saying that it was ridiculous. I even said "I don't even want a kindle" and they just replied apologizing profusely and saying yes, I am eligible for $60 off.

So if you don't like it and you do WANT to buy a Kindle, just email them a complaint. Most likely you'll get what you want.

Because I was so frustrated by this situation (again, even though I haven't any desire to buy a kindle, it's just the whole *point* of it all), I emailed them and complained saying that it was ridiculous. I even said "I don't even want a kindle" and they just replied apologizing profusely and saying yes, I am eligible for $60 off.

So if you don't like it and you do WANT to buy a Kindle, just email them a complaint. Most likely you'll get what you want.

Honestly, that just annoys me more. I've read other places where people have called and complained and they still won't budge and offer anything and other times they do. It must depend on who you talk to, how high up they are, or what kind of mood they are in. I want the $60 off and I think everyone should get it if they're going to offer it. I bet there will be a lot for sale on craigslist and ebay in about....2 weeks. But now, I'm not so sure I want a kindle anymore at all because I'm so annoyed.

I might do this, but I am annoyed to have to.

ETA: OK, I did it. I am still perturbed, but DS put it at the top of his list, so I know I will be buying one anyway, and $60 is a lot of money.

Honestly, that just annoys me more. I've read other places where people have called and complained and they still won't budge and offer anything and other times they do. It must depend on who you talk to, how high up they are, or what kind of mood they are in. I want the $60 off and I think everyone should get it if they're going to offer it. I bet there will be a lot for sale on craigslist and ebay in about....2 weeks. But now, I'm not so sure I want a kindle anymore at all because I'm so annoyed.

I agree. I don't even like e-readers! The only problem is that DS10 really wants a Paperwhite for Christmas, even more than he wants more LEGO. I bet giving the discount to everyone would not have been feasible from a financial standpoint, but something about this should have been thought through better.