Menu

today's chest x ray shows developing pneumonia.....

Joanne

DId they issue you a spirometer?  They should have, and you should be using it as directed. That will clear up your lungs.

Also, have them show you how to splint yourself in case you need to sneeze.

Heigh Ho, I thought a spirometer is what they use to measure airflow. It gives more specific information than a peak flow meter, but it is diagnostic. I would assume Joanne would still need something like a nebulizer to deliver medication, but then I don't know how they treat pneumonia and if it follows a similar protocol to asthma.

Joanne, <<<hugs>>> to you.

Is it pneumonia or a pneumothorax? Sometimes the later is called just "a pneumo". I think a pneumothorax is more common with broken ribs. It's where there is a small hole in the lung from a puncture or impact and air leaks out around the lungs. Small ones usually resolve themselves, but they need to be monitored.

Lots of prayers for you either way. Hope you make a steady and speedy recovery.

Ugh.  Not what you need right now.

I remember my spontaneous lung collapse.  Dumbest thing the doc said?  "Don't cough unless you really have to."  I said "OK.  No recreational coughing, got it."  He didn't seem to realize I was mocking him.

So, Joanne, don't cough unless you really have to, 'cus ya know, it's not going to help.

Joanne, I am so sorry you are going through this right now (or ever, for that matter!).  Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a huge insurance settlement to pay your doctor bills, your missed income, and some more after all that.

Continued prayers and good wishes sent your way. 

I am touched that you consider us boardies close enough to post updates when you are so poorly--thank you for inviting us to support you. I know that sounds a little weird, but I know there are a lot of people who don't realize how wonderful this board is, and how lovely the people are--you are proof that close ties can be formed N-IRL, and that people have a huge capacity to form bonds when they share common concerns, even if they are very different in some ways.

We are ALL pulling for you, Joanne. Tons of hugs. 

Is it pneumonia or a pneumothorax? Sometimes the later is called just "a pneumo". I think a pneumothorax is more common with broken ribs. It's where there is a small hole in the lung from a puncture or impact and air leaks out around the lungs. Small ones usually resolve themselves, but they need to be monitored.

Lots of prayers for you either way. Hope you make a steady and speedy recovery.

Yea, I hear ya. The 1st dr. Called it pneumonia, probably to use lay speak. The 2nd dr gave a version of what you said here.

To the incentive-breath-thing advocates, it is here in front of me and I am ~ slowly ~ able to breath more deeply.