Menu

I am so upset - DD, BSF, and allergies

I signed up for Bible Study Fellowship for this year and signed DD up for the youth program. I just know that she was going to absolutely love this. The coordinator just called and asked about DD's food allergies. When I told her that DD has an epi-pen, she told me that BSF's policy is not to enroll any child that has an epi-pen. They do not want to put that responsibility on the volunteer teachers.

I kind of understand, but DD has NEVER had an anaphylactic reaction. And, they will not be serving any food at BSF.

I am so upset. I actually started crying on the phone while talking to the coordinator.

This just STINKS! Really, really stinks.

I love BSF, but sometimes their rigid rules make me want to scream.

Didn't they start a policy where you could bring home study sheets for your dc if you were in the program?

It's been a few years since I have participated, but I thought I heard they were going to do that.

I don't blame you for being upset - it's not right. (Policies like that also tend to encourage people to 'hide' their medical issues and that's not good) ....I'm not sure what this program is (well, obviously it's a bible study program and they have a kids' group - but beyond that, I mean) ....is there someone at another level that you could contact? Or can you get with other parents and address it as a group? I think I'd be a bit dog-with-the-bone with this... it's not fair, it's not right ----- AND, there are people walking around out there, children included, who have severe (as in possibility of death) allergies and don't even know it because they've never eaten/drank/taken the thing they're allergic to...yet.

(Besides -- are they having all the children go through physical exams first to make sure nobody has a heart condition? epilepsy? diabetic? other type of potentially dangerous/fatal medical issue? No, I doubt they are. They're excluding ONE health issue/disability and it's just not right.)

:grouphug: I understand completely but from a different pov. I don't expect them to change their rules but it stinks. I've talked to so many people who've really gotten a lot out of their studies. I've wanted to attend for quite some time but because of their age rules, I've either had one dd too young or too old to go at their designated times.

That is quite simply wrong, and very discriminatory. I would take it to the next level up and do some serious fighting.

My little girl also carries an Epi-Pen for her allergies, and has never had to use it. We've been very fortunate that people have been so accommodating, and the VBS she has attended for 3 years is always wonderful about her meds and the snacks.

So I can really imagine that this might happen to us someday too. I would not be inclined to let someone leave my kid (or any kid, or me) out of an entire program for this. The fact is that allergies are becoming more common and everyone is having to learn to deal with them: schools, churches, everyone. We find out what kind of people we are by how we treat the ones who are different and who don't fit--the handicapped, the ill, and even the allergic. Some people have to be dragged into the times we live in, but it's not fair to exclude on the basis of physical problems.

Grr.

I love BSF, but sometimes their rigid rules make me want to scream.

Didn't they start a policy where you could bring home study sheets for your dc if you were in the program?

It's been a few years since I have participated, but I thought I heard they were going to do that.

The sheets are "talk about this" type of things, not the in-depth you get from the actual study. Plus, one of the big draws for me was that DD would be discussing things with other kids, which is something she craves.

I don't blame you for being upset - it's not right. (Policies like that also tend to encourage people to 'hide' their medical issues and that's not good) ....I'm not sure what this program is (well, obviously it's a bible study program and they have a kids' group - but beyond that, I mean) ....is there someone at another level that you could contact? Or can you get with other parents and address it as a group? I think I'd be a bit dog-with-the-bone with this... it's not fair, it's not right ----- AND, there are people walking around out there, children included, who have severe (as in possibility of death) allergies and don't even know it because they've never eaten/drank/taken the thing they're allergic to...yet.

(Besides -- are they having all the children go through physical exams first to make sure nobody has a heart condition? epilepsy? diabetic? other type of potentially dangerous/fatal medical issue? No, I doubt they are. They're excluding ONE health issue/disability and it's just not right.)

This rule comes from headquarters, not our local group, so there's not much I can do at this level. They are very serious about following headquarter's rules.

I'm betting they are excluding all children that have known medical issues (epilepsy, diabetes, etc.), but you are right that there are many people walking around undiagnosed. DD herself was diagnosed less than a year ago, after mentioning that eating fruit made her face itch.

My DS has Asperger's and I am just so tired of having my children excluded from things because of something they can't control.

That's pretty rotten. I've never heard of this organization before, I've been looking it up. I didn't realize that Bible study classes were so often co-ordinated like that.

I really think that someone could probably do some suing there, but that's an awfully big job to take on. I must say it seems a remarkably un-Christian thing for such an organization to do. I mean like, blatantly slap-in-the-face un-Christian. Telling people with health issues that they can't join? :eek:

Is it possible for you to offer to sit in the classroom, or on a chair in the hallway in case of a reaction? Or could you help them recruit a volunteer with this specific duty in mind? If the classrooms are close, one volunteer in the hallway could cover them all.

I can understand how much it stinks that she can't participate, especially because she was looking forward to it. But I can also see where a lot of volunteers would be leery of this situation - - it's one thing to offer to lead a group of kids in discussion, and another thing to be told, "If this kid stops breathing, just use this Epi-pen!"

In a school or paid camp situation, there are usually provisions in place for certain people to be trained and ready to deal with these situations. Volunteer situations are just really hard to deal with, and people are always afraid of the unknown. I think it would help tremendously to have someone 'in the know' work on a policy and recruiting trained volunteers.

My DS has Asperger's and I am just so tired of having my children excluded from things because of something they can't control.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. My son was kicked out of BSF back in 2nd grade because he has Tourette Syndrome. It's a very mild case but they didn't want to deal with it at all. They really made me feel like only "perfect" children were allowed in BSF.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but it's just discrimination. It is so UNChristian.

It would be one thing if they said you had to stay onsite while your dd was in class, maybe sign a waiver acknowledging the danger, but complete barring of her participation.... I'm flabbergasted.

Do they discriminate against other groups too? Who else is unworthy to benefit.

I've never heard of this program before, but I now thinks it's worthless in it's mission and possibly harmful.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. My son was kicked out of BSF back in 2nd grade because he has Tourette Syndrome. It's a very mild case but they didn't want to deal with it at all. They really made me feel like only "perfect" children were allowed in BSF.

I am now getting a totally different opinion of BSF.

Is it possible for you to offer to sit in the classroom, or on a chair in the hallway in case of a reaction? Or could you help them recruit a volunteer with this specific duty in mind? If the classrooms are close, one volunteer in the hallway could cover them all.

I can understand how much it stinks that she can't participate, especially because she was looking forward to it. But I can also see where a lot of volunteers would be leery of this situation - - it's one thing to offer to lead a group of kids in discussion, and another thing to be told, "If this kid stops breathing, just use this Epi-pen!"

In a school or paid camp situation, there are usually provisions in place for certain people to be trained and ready to deal with these situations. Volunteer situations are just really hard to deal with, and people are always afraid of the unknown. I think it would help tremendously to have someone 'in the know' work on a policy and recruiting trained volunteers.

I had signed up for myself, as well, but I'm obviously not going to go now.

The thing that gets me is that churches are regularly "staffed" by volunteers - children and adult classes, nursery, youth group events, etc. How would it come across if a church said, "I'm sorry. We can't accept your child into our program because they have a food allergy. We can't ask our volunteer teachers to accept that kind of responsibility." Would that be okay?

And, as no food is offered in BSF (that is another one of their rules), her allergies are a total non-issue.

as a teacher or helper?

I think it stinks. Sorry!

The adult program is going on at the same time as the kids'. The only children allowed in the program are those that belong to the adults taking the Bible study.

This is something I signed up for me, as something I desperately need in my spiritual life right now. I signed DD up when I found out they also offered a children's program. I also wanted DD to have the experience of independence from me.

I had the opposite experience at BSF. We had a 2 year old foster child that had a lot of problems hitting, bitting and getting along with children. His BSF childrens' leaders were amazing. They worked with him one-on-one and kept encouraging me to come back. BSF and our church were two of the few places I could take him without being judged.

I am so sorry about their policy regarding your dd. I think you should write a letter to their corporate office because that is just not right.

The adult program is going on at the same time as the kids'. The only children allowed in the program are those that belong to the adults taking the Bible study.

This is something I signed up for me, as something I desperately need in my spiritual life right now. I signed DD up when I found out they also offered a children's program. I also wanted DD to have the experience of independence from me.

You might try CBS (Community Bible Study). I used to be a children's leader and we had a student who had an epi-pen. We never needed to use it - thank goodness! - but we both (the other teacher and I) knew how to use it just in case.

:grouphug:I'm sorry this happened to you.

My daughter carries an epi-pen as well. She's never been kept from an activity because of it. I thought epi-pens were designed so the average person could use them with no medical training or for that matter much training at all. They're really easy / simple to use although of course the situation requiring their use is potentially life threatening. But there are so many conditions that are potentially life threatening. How many people are to be eliminated from bible study because of medical conditions. How sad that a Christian organization would keep a child from participating for such a reason.

You might try CBS (Community Bible Study). I used to be a children's leader and we had a student who had an epi-pen. We never needed to use it - thank goodness! - but we both (the other teacher and I) knew how to use it just in case.

I'll repeat this suggestion. I know CBS is more welcoming in some ways compared with BFS. I have a friend who was really drawn to BFS, but because they do not allow nursing babies to remain with mothers, she opted for CBS and has really enjoyed it.

I had the opposite experience at BSF. We had a 2 year old foster child that had a lot of problems hitting, bitting and getting along with children. His BSF childrens' leaders were amazing. They worked with him one-on-one and kept encouraging me to come back. BSF and our church were two of the few places I could take him without being judged.

I am so sorry about their policy regarding your dd. I think you should write a letter to their corporate office because that is just not right.

I had a similar experience with my twin DSs in BSF. Actually, if you include my third DS, I had three kids with special needs in BSF. My oldest DS has a medical condition that required special monitoring...he was allowed to stay. My twin DSs (who had prenatal drug exposure) had behavior problems in class...once, I thought they were asking for me to pull them out so I did so. When the teaching leader caught wind of this, I've never seen so much freaking out in my life! Apparently, there had been a misunderstanding...they really wanted to work with them. So, back we went and they just worked it out. My kids were loved on and carefully dealt with for all the years we attended.

I say all this because I really think that you should pursue this further. I don't think that the intent of BSF is to exclude children such as yours. Yes, they probably do have an epi-pen rule. However, if your situation is as mild as you say, I'm betting they will bend and let her come. I'm sure they would have in my group, at least. Have you talked to the teaching leader, or just the children's leader? When you say "coordinator," I'm betting that you mean the children's leader. The children's leader does not have the authority to make a change to the rules, but the teaching leader may be able to do something. Contact her through the website if you don't know her name. If she can't help, inform her that you'll call headquarters and ask them to help you. You may get somewhere that way.

I was in BSF for 11 years...I know their intent is not to exclude children who are "different." They do have a pretty big set of rules, since they are a worldwide group. I would, however, give them another chance to bend if you can. They might just do it with enough information about your child.

:grouphug: and prayers that this will work out.

Wow. In the beginning of this thread, I made a comment about how they likely didn't screen all the kids for other medical issues -- but now I'm reading that this same organisation has done things like kick out a kid with tourettes? What's going on with this group?

I scanned through the link that Betty gave earlier ..... and in it, I see this (among other things):

But most importantly, BSF will not allow their lesson materials to be given to anyone for scrutiny or examination unless they are a class participant. "BSF notes are provided for the personal use of class members during their active participation and must not be loaned or given to nonmembers."

They keep their materials a secret? What's up with that?

That is quite simply wrong, and very discriminatory. I would take it to the next level up and do some serious fighting.

My little girl also carries an Epi-Pen for her allergies, and has never had to use it. We've been very fortunate that people have been so accommodating, and the VBS she has attended for 3 years is always wonderful about her meds and the snacks.

So I can really imagine that this might happen to us someday too. I would not be inclined to let someone leave my kid (or any kid, or me) out of an entire program for this. The fact is that allergies are becoming more common and everyone is having to learn to deal with them: schools, churches, everyone. We find out what kind of people we are by how we treat the ones who are different and who don't fit--the handicapped, the ill, and even the allergic. Some people have to be dragged into the times we live in, but it's not fair to exclude on the basis of physical problems.

Grr.

:iagree::iagree:

I couldn't find the policy, but I found this

www.watch.pair.com/bsf.html

I did look over the bsf website too. I'll do my Bible Study elsewhere. This rigidity is not something that would promote my faith in any way. Add in discriminatory practices and it just makes me angry.

Um, wow. That article did not impress me. Actually, it did make an impression on me and not a good one! If it weren't for the issues of the fellowship being discussed in this thread, the linked article made me want to attend out of spite. (Yea, I'm mature).

Now these studies are written by the Board of Directors along with various BSF staffers, some of which presumably are women. Writing a Bible study is the most basic form of teaching, and BSF women write Bible studies. I Tim. 2:12 states, But I suffer not a woman to teach.... It does not say that a woman cannot teach unless she has a covering by men in some way. It also does not say that a woman cannot teach unless she is writing women's Bible studies. Women are clearly not to engage in the public exposition of Biblical doctrine under any circumstances.

To be certain of the correct interpretation of I Tim. 2:12, I checked with one Greek scholar, Dr. William BeVier, a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary. He stated that the Greek indicates that the woman is not to teach men. He said that the two infinitives "to teach" and "to usurp" both have "man" as their object. Its meaning is like a neither-nor clause. However, verses 11 and 12 both say that the woman is to be silent (as does I Cor. 14:34-35), and these verses speak of women being under obedience, adorning themselves with shamefacedness (I Tim. 2:9) and learning with all subjection. I think that all of these instructions must be kept in mind as general codes of conduct and relate to the role of women as teachers of Biblical doctrine.

Many of BSFĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Teaching Leaders are women. Although they only teach other women and not men, that is irrelevant; they are still engaged in teaching doctrine. Titus 2:3-5 says,

The above indicates an interpretation of doctrine I do not agree with.

Another questionable Shepherding/Discipleship practice of BSF is its adherence to a vast quantity of complex rules which are designed to promote orderliness within the organization, but which actually promote legalism. I sensed that any resistance to rules by participants results in their being labeled as rebellious or not in submission to their higher authority in the hierarchy,

I love examples of selective legalism! :lol:

I have to say that I read the article as well and I do not find it representative of the BSF that I was involved in for 11+ years (as well as my family members across several different groups, so I think we're a pretty good sample!). It sounds far more rigid and inflammatory than any BSF class I've known...and I think their complaints come from a legalistic standpoint that BSF would not support.

Not addressing the legitimate complaints of the OP but rather addressing the article, there are many who bash BSF without cause, IMO. Having been there for 11 years, I can say that it is a wonderful, caring, life-changing organization that is large and well-known, which of course makes it a "target" for articles such as these! Any human organization makes mistakes (and I believe they did in the case of the OP!), but I know their heart and their rules come out of a desire to see people grow in Christ in the best way they know how. They ain't perfect, but they aren't awful either. I've never once seen someone addressed as rebellious or not submissive for questioning the rules. In fact, our teaching leader used to jokingly add a little "TWWDT" (The Way We Do Things) of the day to her lessons to explain some of the rules that people questioned so that we'd understand better. It was always the funniest part of the morning. She supported headquarters wholeheartedly, but also understood that some of the rules seem a little silly to those "on the ground." She was really great about it, IMO.

All that said, I really hope that the OP will talk to her teaching leader and/or the headquarters about this. In my experience, I think they will bend on this one...and I am certain that the children's leader is heartbroken that the OP and her child are hurt and that she will want to help if she's able to do so.

I'm sorry, but it's just discrimination. It is so UNChristian.

It would be one thing if they said you had to stay onsite while your dd was in class, maybe sign a waiver acknowledging the danger, but complete barring of her participation.... I'm flabbergasted.

Do they discriminate against other groups too? Who else is unworthy to benefit.

I've never heard of this program before, but I now thinks it's worthless in it's mission and possibly harmful.

I agree - these folks are not sounding like the kind of people you with which would want to associate. Look at the message they are sending your dd - she is not physically perfect enough to be in bible school????

The above indicates an interpretation of doctrine I do not agree with. :lol:

I attended a BSF study a number of years ago, and left because I didn't agree with some of their doctrine, either. I *so* wish I'd kept the lessons so I could remember exactly what it was and "prove" it, KWIM? But I didn't so I'm stuck. I don't usually say much because so many women love it, including women I respect, but I won't ever go back, and would gently nudge someone who asked my opinion to look elsewhere for a Bible study.:leaving:

I have to say that I read the article as well and I do not find it representative of the BSF that I was involved in for 11+ years (as well as my family members across several different groups, so I think we're a pretty good sample!). It sounds far more rigid and inflammatory than any BSF class I've known...and I think their complaints come from a legalistic standpoint that BSF would not support.

I'm just curious as to whether or not you were in leadership?:)

I was asked, at one point, to be a discussion leader. I ended up needing to decline because of the requirement to sign off on a list of beliefs. One of those was regarding eschatology and I held a totally different view so could not sign the document.

One of the big surpises to me was that the "application" (for lack of a better word) asked for the prospective leader's weight. I just couldn't get over that.

Another thing it asked was whether or not the applicant had ever been divorced. If you had, you could not be a leader in the organization.

I mention these because I think they are relevant to the OP. When I was in BSF (which, I admit, was several years ago) a lot of their policies were unbending and on the rigid side.

I fully admit that their policies could have changed in the last 9 years but that was definitely my experience while there. My group did have an amazing teaching leader and my faith did grow while under her teaching.:)

Not addressing the legitimate complaints of the OP but rather addressing the article, there are many who bash BSF without cause, IMO. Having been there for 11 years, I can say that it is a wonderful, caring, life-changing organization that is large and well-known, which of course makes it a "target" for articles such as these! Any human organization makes mistakes (and I believe they did in the case of the OP!), but I know their heart and their rules come out of a desire to see people grow in Christ in the best way they know how. They ain't perfect, but they aren't awful either. I've never once seen someone addressed as rebellious or not submissive for questioning the rules. In fact, our teaching leader used to jokingly add a little "TWWDT" (The Way We Do Things) of the day to her lessons to explain some of the rules that people questioned so that we'd understand better. It was always the funniest part of the morning. She supported headquarters wholeheartedly, but also understood that some of the rules seem a little silly to those "on the ground." She was really great about it, IMO.

All that said, I really hope that the OP will talk to her teaching leader and/or the headquarters about this. In my experience, I think they will bend on this one...and I am certain that the children's leader is heartbroken that the OP and her child are hurt and that she will want to help if she's able to do so.

I've been a part of BSF of in the past and love the Bible study. I've never had a problem with their rules, until this one. I'm hoping to talk to the coordinator today and pursue this further. I don't have much hope, but I have to make sure I have the full story.

Unfortunately, they don't have an evening class near me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'm just curious as to whether or not you were in leadership?:)

Nope. I was asked but could not serve due to the needs of my kids. I assume you are asking whether I knew of the policies required of a leader...I did know that. More than likely, had I gone ahead with it, there would have been one or two that they wouldn't have "liked" about me...one would have possibly eliminated me. However, as I mentioned, my groups were both full of grace and would have handled it lovingly whether they'd chosen to have me serve or not. More than likely, they'd have moved me into an admin role instead of a group leader role instead of saying no...

I've been a part of BSF of in the past and love the Bible study. I've never had a problem with their rules, until this one. I'm hoping to talk to the coordinator today and pursue this further. I don't have much hope, but I have to make sure I have the full story.

Oh, I am SO glad that you are going to look into this further, and I'm glad you've had good experiences with BSF on other fronts. Please let us know how it goes...I am praying for you. At the very least, I hope that pursuing it brings you some peace and that there is healing.

Oh yes, that's always been their policy. They want to protect their study materials from outsiders and are extremely exclusive. In class you may not refer to any authors or other sources of commentary/study. Outside of class you may not discuss study materials with non-members. (Their insight into God's word is a secret, dontcha know! LOL)

Lots of rules--they want their classes to be committed and focused, which I do understand, but it just comes across in a negative way. Combined with what I've read here, that knowledge keeps me from ever joining.

Oh yes, that's always been their policy. They want to protect their study materials from outsiders and are extremely exclusive. In class you may not refer to any authors or other sources of commentary/study. Outside of class you may not discuss study materials with non-members. (Their insight into God's word is a secret, dontcha know! LOL)

Lots of rules--they want their classes to be committed and focused, which I do understand, but it just comes across in a negative way. Combined with what I've read here, that knowledge keeps me from ever joining.

So, if a wife discusses that day's study with her husband (who isn't in the class), she's breaking some kind of rule? That's nutty.

Actually - it strikes me as more than just 'nutty' .....religious organisations that tell their members to keep things a secret from others who are not members.... what's that expression I see 'round here about red flags? Yeah.

What are they hiding, and why are they hiding it? Can't help but wonder.

She was unwavering in both the policy and her (apparent) support of the policy. She suggested I take my concerns to headquarters, which I intend to do. I plan on writing a letter, to make sure I have all my thought together. I also asked that I be removed from the adult class enrollment.

I asked about policies considering children with other medical conditions (such as diabetes and epilepsy). I don't feel that I ever got a cut-and-dried answer from her, but I definitely got the feeling that they don't exist. Of course, she also admitted that the epi-pen policy is not made public, but rather on a need-to-know basis.

I have been lurking here since the board changed. I would occasionally post on the old board, but haven't registered here until today. I haven't figured out how this whole thing works, don't have an avatar, don't know about the emoticons, etc, but just felt I have to reply quickly to what I feel is a mischaracterization of BSF that disturbs me very much.

First, I TOTALLY understand the OP's position and can understand why she is upset. But the overall characterization of BSF based on an article found on the internet is the total opposite of what I have seen in 11 years in BSF. I believe Rhonda in TX would agree with me. My husband and I have each attended BSF for 11 years, each of us in two different classes. He has also attended classes in other cities when he travelled for work. We have also both been Discussion Leaders at different times. Our two daughters have also attended the Children's Program, our oldest just completed her ninth year and graduated this year. My husband and I both believe the Lord has used this Bible study to grow our entire family spiritually in a wonderful way. I could go on and on addressing the issues raised, but I found this article which covers everything I would want to address in the "watch.pair" article linked by Betty. http://www.jade.net.nz/blog/archive/2005_04_01_archive.html#111418717029288055

Rhonda, I hope you receive an answer that helps you from BSF Headquarters:grouphug: and will pray this for you. I am just concerned that BSF has been portrayed as a rigid, rule driven, cold, and secretive organization. It is the total opposite. Their goal it to teach people all over the world to study God's Word for themselves. I would be willing to bet the epi-pen rule was put into place because of something that happened in one of the almost 1,000 classes world-wide.

I just don't want any one who is looking for a Bible study to not check BSF out for themselves because of something they read here.

Mary in VA

I'm a Precept leader, and I *much* prefer Precept studies over BSF.

In fact, I even took the training classes many years ago. I really like Precept studies, but was looking for something I could do with my DD. As far as I know, Precept doesn't offer a children's program like BSF does. I know you can purchase a Bible study program from them for kids/teens, but I want DD to have a group study.

You're not the only one. Truly, I'm just *sickened* by this.

Ds has had an epi-pen for five years now. He has *never* be excluded from any activity because he has an Epi-Pen.

:iagree: My ds has had an epi-pen for six years and has participated in plenty of activities run largely by volunteers and has always been welcomed.

And I just have to add, when no food is involved, the risk of a reaction is minuscule. It makes absolutely no sense to exclude a child with food allergies when no food will be present. And, since you will be on site at the same time, in the very unlikely event of a reaction, they could have you administer the epi-pen to your daughter.

Epi-pens are designed to be used by laypersons with no medical training. It really is no different than administering the Heimlich maneuver to a child who is choking. Is BFS willing to allow its volunteers to administer the Heimlich maneuver, or would that also be asking too much of them???

My dd is 11 1/2 and just got her epi-pen this summer. She is very allergic to wasps. We let her go to events without us. She was a volunteer at the library this summer. She even gets to go to the library (a few blocks) by herself. She carries the epi-pen with her and know how to use it.

We had several kids in VBS with epi-pens. They just made sure they got older teens or adults to be their group leaders.

I guess I really should be astonished by this but unfortunately I have heard several similar type problems with other medical conditions in Christian organizations and groups that it isn't really surprising. Very disturbing is more like it. It certainly isn't very like Jesus, is it?