Menu

Which city would you choose for a week-long stay?

Liberty

The 2nd week of October, my work is sending me for a week long training that is held in my choice of city:  Boston, Washington D.C., Charleston, SC or St. Louis, MO.  I've only drove through St. Louis and have never been to the other cities.  My challenge is that the training lasts from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. every day.  Other than a few hours the day I arrive (Sunday) and the day I leave (Saturday), my sightseeing hours will be limited to after 5 p.m.  It appears to me that most things in Washington close around 5 p.m.  BUT, I've always wanted to go there.  Would it be a waste of time?  I've also always wanted to see Boston.  I've never really researched Charleston, so have no opinion about that city.

Also, I'd be alone, so don't want to travel at night to any areas that might be unsafe. 

If you were me, which city would you choose? 

Charleston is lovely in October. But be warned, the biting gnats come out around sunset. If you don't use perfume or hairspray, it is better, and bug spray with deet will keep them off. If you go downtown to the battery, you will love it. Also, tour Middleton and/or Magnolia Plantations.

Not St.louis, not by yourself for sure. I lived there and it's gone down since then.

I'd say Boston. There are a few areas you don't wnt to be alone...like around Fenway if I'm not mistaken. But I spent time by myself there as a teenager and took the public transportation alone.

Have fun!

I would choose D.C because it is the most expensive to visit, second would be Boston.  I just went to St. Louis.  I feel like it's probably a wonderful place to live, but was just okay for visiting.  Well, I love Charleston so much and this is a great time of year to visit with the humidity down. So many good restaurants there too. But, I could not imagine working and being in Charleston! 

Well, night time stuff is going to be limited everywhere during weekday evening hours.... I'd say Boston. DC really empties in the evening, but with Boston you can find a cool bookstore or something fun.

If you had daytime hours, then I would be all over DC. I've had/have family in both cities and love them both, but I think Boston might have more to do on a weeknight evening. And, personally, I think there are more good restaurants in Boston. I have had great meals in DC, don't get me wrong. I come from a big 'foodie' town so my sense of 'lots of good places' is a bit off. I just think there are more places in Boston to choose from.

I'd go to either Boston or Charleston.  Lots to do in either city after 5pm. 

Sounds like a great opportunity.  I miss my business travel days.  Have fun regardless of where you decide to go!  :)

I wonder if you could list some things I should check out in either city?  I've been googling and not coming up with much for that time of day.

Hm. When we've gone to DC we've stayed more in the outskirts where people live. There are bookstores and restaurants and all of that sort of thing. You can also go see a *lot* of the monuments at night. 

I think ghost walking tours are fun in any city. I know Charleston and DC both have good ones. 

I've been to all of the cities you mention except Boston and out of those (meaning, eliminating Boston because I would automatically choose that one because I haven't been there) I would choose DC...unless you've never been to the south...then, I might say Charleston. 

It would be an easy choice for me- I've never been to Boston in the Fall! (And now I have Veggie Tales running through my head)

DC wouldn't be quite as much fun after 5 PM because the museums and such are closed.  Charleston- would there be enough to do after 5? St. Louis just isn't my favorite city.  But Boston...sounds like fun and the weather would be lovely.   My second choice would be DC since monuments can be seen at night and there's fabulous stuff to do where the people actually live. 

St. Louis is fine, even after dark (born and raised there, and still visit frequently), but your options are more limited after 5:00.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend time in Charleston.  It's a lovely city, and a stroll on the beach or a ghost tour (if you're into that sort of thing) or a carriage ride are all interesting things to do, and you've have a nice variety of options.

Or, DC.  I've explored DC on my own at night.  The National Mall is beautiful and peaceful at night.  I love it there.

I also like Boston, but I haven't been there when my time was limited to after 5:00 pm.  

What a fun problem to have!

Can't say about St. Louis as I've never been there.

Love D.C., but as others have mentioned, there is maybe less sightseeing that can be done after five. You could definitely do monuments tours, plus sometimes (maybe summer only?) one of the Smithsonian museums is open later (say to 7 or 7:30). Probably lots to do in the Georgetown area after 5pm, including something like a nighttime Potomac tour.

Charleston is lovely & October is a fabulous time to be there, weather-wise. After 5pm, you could still do a carriage tour (I'm guessing), ghost tour (fun), harbor boat ride (also lovely), lots of nice restaurants. If you wanted to walk on the beach in the evening, you could also do that.

It has been ages since I've been to Boston, but I'm sure (w/ all the universities around) there's lots available after 5pm.

I think what you really need to do is take the training course four different times so you can go to each city! Enjoy!

I wonder if you could list some things I should check out in either city?  I've been googling and not coming up with much for that time of day.

All of the below can be done after 5pm.  While I've visited Boston and have gone to all the places listed, I have not visited Charleston myself (just recommending based on what I've heard from others). 

Boston:

- North End restaurants and historic sights. http://www.northendboston.com

- Museum of Fine Arts (open late Wed-Fri). http://www.mfa.org

- Fenway Park tours (some start at 5pm or even after 5pm). http://mlb.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

- Boston Common & Public Gardens. http://friendsofthepublicgarden.org

- For more ideas:  http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60745-Activities-Boston_Massachusetts.html

Charleston:

- Waterfront Park. http://www.charlestonparksconservancy.org/our_parks/view_park/waterfront_park/

- Charleston Water Taxi (ferry, sightseeing, dolphin watch). http://www.charlestonwatertaxi.com

- For more ideas: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g54171-Activities-Charleston_South_Carolina.html

I think I'll choose Boston.  Now, I just need to make my itinerary.  A tour of Fenway Park on the Sun before or Sat after is definately on the list (unfortunately, the park closes at 5 p.m. each day).  I'm also definately doing the Fine Arts Museum that is open late Wed-Fri.

Can anyone here give me restaurant recommendations as well?

Thanks so much everyone!

Depending on its distance from the hotel I stay in I think it'd be cool to walk a portion of the 2.5 mile freedom trail each evening of my stay and then eat in a restaurant along the way.  I'm going to definately go to Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives to see if any Boston spots were visited by Guy and which dish I should order.  I'm not used to going to historic cities (or even big cities for that matter).  So excited.....

Depending on its distance from the hotel I stay in I think it'd be cool to walk a portion of the 2.5 mile freedom trail each evening of my stay and then eat in a restaurant along the way. I'm going to definately go to Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives to see if any Boston spots were visited by Guy and which dish I should order. I'm not used to going to historic cities (or even big cities for that matter). So excited.....

Also check out man v food and see if Adam richman has been to Boston.

We use both shows as our culinary tour guides when we travel.