Menu

Mom's with girls who love their American Girl Dolls, you will understand this.

lynn

LOL - I have no dolls hidden but I do have a couple accessories stashed away! :)

I stashed a couple of accessories away so well that I didn't find them until last year!  Remember when they sold Kirsten's St. Lucia Day headpiece waaaay back years ago?  It's so darn cute that I'm thinking about wrapping it up and giving it as a gift this year -- so what if my dds are now 14 and 18!  They'll still like it!

My girls are taking an American Girl Dolls history class in co-op this year. They don't own an actual American Girl but Target's version. They are still fairly rough with them but getting better. At what age did y'all take the plunge for the real ones? I'm sure we will have real ones soon!

I gave dd a beautiful 18" doll I found on Amazon, I forgot who made her, to see how she would do with it.  She really took good care of her.   Christmas the year she turned 6 we got her a Just Like Me American Girl doll.  

Dd has a lot of 13's around her (born in room 213, 13th grand child, on the 13th) dd is also creative and artsy like Saige.    I thought she has got to have the 2013 Girl of the Year :D     DH claims I am buying her more for me, so maybe I am :rolleyes:

Wait!!! Marie Grace has been living in MY attic since the big sale last year. I'm so confused!!!

LOL. She's quite the hobo.

For the poster who asked at what age, DD picked out a JLY doll for her 5th bday and received Kit last year for Christmas after asking for a year straight. I got her an 18 inch Gotz doll when she was 3 and moved into her own bed, and she took really good care of it. I felt pretty confident she could handle it at age 5, and she did really well with her doll. I did steer her toward more easily maintained hair for her first doll, and Kit just happens to have easier to maintain hair as well. I think it is very much a YMMV situation.

She read all of the books last year in a co-op class when she was 5-6 yo.

Saige was purchased on January 1st at the Denver Store.  It was so cold standing outside waiting for the store to open but dd wanted to be there at the very beginning.  Dd paid for her.  I'm thinking of getting her the 2014 doll for this Christmas and then making the trip to the store on January 1st.  It may just become a tradition at our house.  

I am very jealous of you all. I have left countless AG catalogs around the house over the years, hoping DD would fall for the dolls. Once, before a birthday, I handed her a pen and told her to dog-ear and note anything she might want. I can't tell you how giddy I was when she brought the catalog back to me, so excited, and told me she had found something. At last!! Yeah, it was a microphone used as a prop in one of the spreads. They didn't even sell it! LOL She still shows no interest. Poor me. :nopity:

On the bright side, I am pretty stoked about her archery set and my boys' Lego Mindstorms EV3, which are both currently hidden away in my closet.

I need to to send Caroline to the doll hospital for dd, our stupid dog chewed her hand off. Dd had left Caroline on the couch, we were going to the gas station 3 miles down the road to get a Mt. Dew, thought the doll would be fine. Lets just say the dog is still on my Sh!t list and he's the only pet we have left.

I have horses stashed for Christmas! 

I am very jealous of you all. I have left countless AG catalogs around the house over the years, hoping DD would fall for the dolls. Once, before a birthday, I handed her a pen and told her to dog-ear and note anything she might want. I can't tell you how giddy I was when she brought the catalog back to me, so excited, and told me she had found something. At last!! Yeah, it was a microphone used as a prop in one of the spreads. They didn't even sell it! LOL She still shows no interest. Poor me. :nopity:

On the bright side, I am pretty stoked about her archery set and my boys' Lego Mindstorms EV3, which are both currently hidden away in my closet.

I didn't have AG dolls as a child (was too old for them, I think?) and found out about them when I was babysitting in high school and college.  I fell in LOVE!! And was determined for dd5 to love them.  She couldn't care less about the dolls, but she'll play with me if she has animals!  Pets and horses.  Those are the hooks that got her in the door.  She took the catalog and dogeared every page with pets and horses.  I can live with that. :D

We now have one doll of her own, Gracie (Marie-Grace from the sale, with her horrid pin curls snipped off and usually in modern clothing), two dolls of MINE, and an American-girl-turned-boy (with a haircut) that we both love and share.  The crafty part of me couldn't resist messing with a beat-up doll from Ebay and sewing him a bunch of clothes.  :lol:

My DD was desperate for Caroline...it was all she could talk about for months. So I had one shipped all the way from the USA and gave it to her for her birthday....she rarely plays with her and she is a doll loving girl :(. I thought it might be because of lack of accessories and clothes so my mum bought some for her and she still doesnt play with her. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I keep reminding her to be careful with her hair....it was probably a bad decsion to start her off with a long, curly haired doll. I was going to get her a friend but I don't know if it's worth the money. She still plays with her bald headed baby dolls a lot....so maybe she will like the AG dolls more when she is older and can handle the hair better.

My DD was desperate for Caroline...it was all she could talk about for months. So I had one shipped all the way from the USA and gave it to her for her birthday....she rarely plays with her and she is a doll loving girl :(. I thought it might be because of lack of accessories and clothes so my mum bought some for her and she still doesnt play with her. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I keep reminding her to be careful with her hair....it was probably a bad decsion to start her off with a long, curly haired doll. I was going to get her a friend but I don't know if it's worth the money. She still plays with her bald headed baby dolls a lot....so maybe she will like the AG dolls more when she is older and can handle the hair better.

I keep dd's Caroline's hair braided. This way I don't have to nag about hair :)

I have Emily stashed for Christmas. I also have Felicity hidden away. I have no idea how long she'll be hidden. I heard a rumor a while back that the 2014 girl of the year will be a ballerina. If that's the case she'll be coming home with us too.

Okay I hope it's  not a ballerina.  Then we'd have to get her to.  I told dh thatSaige was the last of the AG dolls I will get for dd.  We got her because she is the 2013 doll (see post above for my reasoning why I just had to get her...)   

Okay I hope it's  not a ballerina.  Then we'd have to get her to.  I told dh thatSaige was the last of the AG dolls I will get for dd.  We got her because she is the 2013 doll (see post above for my reasoning why I just had to get her...)   

she's almost certainly a ballerina.  :tongue_smilie: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/american-girl/articles/206112/title/universal-feature-film-american-girl-2014-seeking-tween-ballet-dancers

I don't have any American Girl dolls hidden, but I do have some Calico Critter things hidden. Anyone else addicted to those tiny little creatures?

I am! DD (once again, unfortunately) is not. There is a theme here, I'm sure. LOL She uses the Calico Critters car for her stuffed kittens. They look like giants driving around in that thing. DS7 uses her CC camper for his stuffed cat, dragging it around the house with a long string. Makes quite a racket on the tile. That cat can't drive! :tongue_smilie:

Sadly, the actual Calico Critters animals all died off when our labrador was a puppy and DD apparently couldn't care less whether they lived or died. :(