Menu

neighbor lady stole my new kittens

Flowing Brook

I have a standard poodle that lives inside. He is not used to kittens. So when I brought two new kittens home early last week instead of bringing them in the house I put them in the shed. I was going to slowly  get them used to each other before leaving them in the house. I made sure or so I thought that they could not get out of the shed.  The next morning they were gone.  I had to go to work so I waited until that evening to go looking for them. I found them that evening or rather I found one that evening in the neighbors arms.  I told her I was looking for my kittens and and see that she had found one and had she seen the other.  Well she said someone dumped these two kittens off. She gave one to her brother and the other she was going to keep.  I said these are my kittens. I explained to her how they had gotten lose from my shed. She stated that it was her kitten.  I tried to take it from her. She would not let me.   I told her how I was going to take my kittens  and have them neutered and give them their shots. She very emphatically stated that this kitten was not going anywhere.

During the course of the conversation she never acted as though she heard me when I told her they were my kittens. How do you reason with someone that acts as though they don't hear you? So anyways I left without my kitten. Short of grabbing it out of her arms I had no way of getting it back.  I went back the next day to try again.  Again she acted as though she could not hear me when I told her they were my kittens.  When I say acted like she did not hear me I mean in a it is not registering sort of way.  So now my cute little kittens belongs to my neighbor and her brother that lives who knows where.

Update in #43

well, since you have no bill of sale etc, I think the next step depends on how far you want to take this. Are you willing to involve the police?

I would get friend to come over and positively ID the kitten that is at your neighbor's is the one she gave you. Then tell the neighbor one more time, you want both kittens back by xxx (preferably with a 3rd party there) and if she doesn't, contact local police. They may not be able to do anything other than suggest you go to small claims court (to sue for property back), depends since the kittens "escaped" and she found it. I mean do you think she "broke in" when she heard them meowing or something?

Yup, crazy. Could she be a crazy kitten lady? I am sorry, but I do not what you can do with a crazy person.

She is a cray cat lady. At one point she had probably a dozen cats in her yard. There have been fewer and fewer lately. I think they got sick and died.  Many of them had runny eyes and noses.  I do not think she came in my shed as she has a hard time walking and I found a hole in the bottom of it that I did not know was there.

Oh no!

She sounds sort of crazy. The ignoring you is...odd. As is possible cat hoarding. I'm a big animal revue type, so if they had a good home I'd be inclined to leave them and just get new kittens (no shortage of kittens in this world) but she seems like not such a good spot for them.

Can you get the person you got them from to come with you, as proof? But if she ignores you- yikes! I don't really know, animal control?

That's just pretty crazy, for a neighbor. I'm sorry, what a mess!

If you do plan on doing anything to get them back, I suggest you do it quickly. We had a cat literally walk into our front door while we were coming in one day. I tried locating its owners, and spoke with the SPCA. They told me that after 3 days I could legally claim the cat as my own. (We keep looking for 3 weeks, with no response, so we kept him and love him to pieces!). I don't know if it would be the same where you live, but its something that I thought you should know.

I hope you get your kitties back from crazy cat lady!!

I would see if there were pictures of my kittens in existence some where, get a written statement/affadavit or something from my friend stating that they could identify the kittens and then I go with my friend to the neighbors house and demand the kittens back. Show her the pictures and if she doesn't budge then I'd get some form of authorities involved.

Does she have adult children? Perhaps you could talk to them and they could take steps to get you your cats back--presumably they aren't crazy kitten people also...

I'd head back over there with my husband (or a male friend if husband isn't around) and have him state very clearly that unless she returns the kittens to you immediately, you will be calling the police. Then I'd call the friend who gave you the kittens and the police.

I would take the kittens to the vet as soon as I got them back to have them vaxed for feline leukemia and feline aids and anything else they might have been exposed to if the neighbors cats are unhealthy. I normally am not a major proponent of vaccinations but in this case you know the kittens have been around unhealthy cats.

From the neighbor's perspective, she's probably "saved" the kittens.  It isn't safe for young kittens to be running free by themselves.  Your explanation that you had them shut in a shed doesn't make you look like a good pet owner, either.  I wouldn't bring pets home if I couldn't care for them properly.

Kittens are a dime a dozen, and she saved them from an unpleasant shed, or wherever they escaped to.

You can get some new kittens at the SPCA or a vet's office, there are plenty available.

At least these kittens are wanted by someone and will be cared for, fed, and interacted with. I wouldn't want to stay in a shed all day either!

From the neighbor's perspective, she's probably "saved" the kittens.  It isn't safe for young kittens to be running free by themselves.  Your explanation that you had them shut in a shed doesn't make you look like a good pet owner, either.  I wouldn't bring pets home if I couldn't care for them properly.

Kittens are a dime a dozen, and she saved them from an unpleasant shed, or wherever they escaped to.

You can get some new kittens at the SPCA or a vet's office, there are plenty available.

At least these kittens are wanted by someone and will be cared for, fed, and interacted with. I wouldn't want to stay in a shed all day either!

Um all of her cats have been dying lately. They live outside all year round even in the dead of winter where it gets down to freezing for weeks at a time.  I vaccinate my kittens. They were going to live in the house I had them there for what was supposed to one or two partial days. Just long enough that I could get the dogs used to them. I give my kittens plenty of attention every day. They get tuna and goats milk on a regular basis.  Our shed is not a dungeon!

My word some people are ridiculous! We have outdoor cats, they are barn cats, we don't get them fixed or vaccinated because they wander off and city people tend to drop off cats here because we have a barn and live in the country (while we're out, it's hapenned several times). But we do care for them, we feed them and play with them, but they do not come inside, we have allergies and I'm not willing to have cats in the house. We have a mutual agreement, they hunt mice on our property and I'll give them shelter in the barn, some food and love. The most we've had at a time is 3, tomcats tend to wander off if there are more than 1, we've lost at least 1 to coyotes, a few on the road, etc. I'm not a heartless person, I love animals and treat them well. Just because the cats are not allowed in the house doesn't mean it's ok for some random person to walk off with my animals! WTH?! My word, the woman left them assumingly with food and water and the companionship of each other in a sheltered place in her property for a few hours and you're calling her a bad pet owner?! They're certainly better off there than rotting in an overcrowded animal shelter. Pets get out. Sometimes the gate is left open or they bolt out the door, it happens to many pet owners. Does that mean whoever finds them (and even knows who owns them) can keep them and just assume that whoever lost them didn't care about them? The neighbour obviously has a screw loose, she knows who the kittens belong to and has no right to keep them. Her cats got out by accident! My senior neighbours have a friendly farm dog, he sometimes wanders over here to see my kids, that doesn't mean I get to keep him.

Police. On general principle, I would get my kittens back. Please teach her not to trifle with you. Or who knows what other crazy you will have to deal with in the future. If I was feeling particularly serious I would call adult protective services with concern for her odd behavior.

I thought I would attach some photos of my pets for those of you that think I am a bad pet owner. The first picture is of my miniature poodle that I take to the lake with me all the time. The second is of Rowan my Standard poodle pup. The third is London my sisters German Shepherd that I was watching for her while she was out of state. Please tell me these animals look neglected or lacking affection.

Don't worry about the people here. I see no issue with what you did, you had them in the shed for an adjustment period, they accidentally got out, not an issue.

I would call the police, but you need to do it soon. Especially if she's that crazy... 

Don't feel the need to defend yourself.   :grouphug:   What she did was awful, and I agree that you should get photos, a bill of sale, and call the local authorities.  Along with the kittens safety and well-being, and getting back your stolen property, another concern is her future actions.  She needs to know that these actions are not tolerated.  I would be afraid of what her next actions would be if she thinks she can take your items and not have to face consequences. 

Is this your shed? Would the neighbor had to take the kittens out of your shed or did they wander onto her property? If you had them in your shed and she had to take them out of the shed to get them, call the police and say your kittens were stolen out of your shed. I'm sorry she took your kittens, but it seems the police may be your only option.

My word some people are ridiculous! We have outdoor cats, they are barn cats, we don't get them fixed or vaccinated because they wander off and city people tend to drop off cats here because we have a barn and live in the country (while we're out, it's hapenned several times). But we do care for them, we feed them and play with them, but they do not come inside, we have allergies and I'm not willing to have cats in the house. We have a mutual agreement, they hunt mice on our property and I'll give them shelter in the barn, some food and love. The most we've had at a time is 3, tomcats tend to wander off if there are more than 1, we've lost at least 1 to coyotes, a few on the road, etc.

my sil had a farm - and had a notice with her vet she would take unwanted cats. their job was to keep down the mouse population. they lived outside year round - she provided food and vaccinations (vaccinating cats isn't much different than vaccinating livestock.)  she'd easily have a dozen+ at a time.  between coyotes, large birds of prey, farm machinery, etc., they didn't live long lives, but they were healthy while they were alive.  

I once went to our local animal rescue to enquire about a cat - they will ONLY allow cats to go to people who will keep it indoors 24/7.  umm - I expect it to work and keep down the mole population.  (I loved the neighbors cat - but they took it when they moved.)

OP - I agree with the others.  get your friend to ID the kitten, make a definitive "give the cat or I'm calling the police" and demand she hand over the kitten in her possession right then. 

it is a principle of the thing, you don't know what she'll do next.  her cats aren't healthy either.  which makes it more likely they've passed something on to her to make her a crazy cat lady.  (there is a study out suggesting that is the case with crazy cat people.)

her cats aren't healthy either. which makes it more likely they've passed something on to her to make her a crazy cat lady. (there is a study out suggesting that is the case with crazy cat people.)

Crazy Cat Lady syndrome. The theory is that there's a link between toxoplasmosis and mental issues, including schizophrenia.

Puddles, your neighbor "not seeming to register" parts of the conversation could be selective hearing (ie, she just wants to keep your cats!) or something more.

Hope this all works out for you. Such an unusual and difficult situation!

I understand op. lots of people don't understand country living.

Except that I live in the country on a 10 acre farm and I don't have cats in sheds.

I get that the OP did this but I do think it was a bad idea. I had two kittens dumped on me this spring and I brought them inside and took them to a vet immediately. They're getting spayed this week. :)

I am one of those who wish the, "disposable cat" idea would just die. Cats are actually marvelous critters. The lifespan of an outdoor cat verses an indoor pet is horrific. We wouldn't have so darn many stray cats outside if humans hadn't dumped them there to begin with. I happen to think it's time to pull our big girl panties up, look at the problem and then fix it (through spaying and neutering).

I have a farm and I don't have mice and rats primarily because I keep my farm clean. I have five cats and two do go outside during the day but they always know their warm bed and meal are waiting. I get really tired of the argument that you cannot manage ALL the livestock on your farm ethically because you can - even the dang cats. It does cost more, yes. But it can be done. I'm at my limit with five cats. If neither neighbors want more cats, then off to the county shelter we will go! Yep, that cat may end up dead and that's terribly sad. But at least she won't breed 300 more cats who will face the same fate and then die at the age of three. :(

I do it. My farming neighbors on both sides do it. The neighbor across the street traps and takes to the shelter. Someone else created the problem but we are cleaning up the mess. That's what you do as a grownup sometimes.

Except that I live in the country on a 10 acre farm and I don't have cats in sheds.

I get that the OP did this but I do think it was a bad idea. I had two kittens dumped on me this spring and I brought them inside and took them to a vet immediately. They're getting spayed this week. :)

I am one of those who wish the, "disposable cat" idea would just die. Cats are actually marvelous critters. The lifespan of an outdoor cat verses an indoor pet is horrific. We wouldn't have so darn many stray cats outside if humans hadn't dumped them there to begin with. I happen to think it's time to pull our big girl panties up, look at the problem and then fix it (through spaying and neutering).

I have a farm and I don't have mice and rats primarily because I keep my farm clean. I have five cats and two do go outside during the day but they always know their warm bed and meal are waiting. I get really tired of the argument that you cannot manage ALL the livestock on your farm ethically because you can - even the dang cats. It does cost more, yes. But it can be done. I'm at my limit with five cats. If neither neighbors want more cats, then off to the county shelter we will go! Yep, that cat may end up dead and that's terribly sad. But at least she won't breed 300 more cats who will face the same fate and then die at the age of three. :(

I do it. My farming neighbors on both sides do it. The neighbor across the street traps and takes to the shelter. Someone else created the problem but we are cleaning up the mess. That's what you do as a grownup sometimes.

Sorry, but none of this has anything to do with the OP keeping cats in her shed for a night.

Edited to say this is in defense of OP

I have the same situation as you at my house. My aging cat stays outside about 1/2 the day. But comes in to food and a warm bed. But, there are things that roam outside that you have no control over; coyotes, hawks, fast moving cars. Since cats aren't contained by fences as other farm animals usually are, bad things occasionally happen. Like an outdoor dog who protects the farm, cats can be used as productive farm helpers. Unfortunately, their curiosity and gymnastic ability can also bring on their demise. There is nothing saying a hawk couldn't scoop up your indoor/outdoor cat while it is outside.

Um all of her cats have been dying lately. They live outside all year round even in the dead of winter where it gets down to freezing for weeks at a time.  I vaccinate my kittens. They were going to live in the house I had them there for what was supposed to one or two partial days. Just long enough that I could get the dogs used to them. I give my kittens plenty of attention every day. They get tuna and goats milk on a regular basis.  Our shed is not a dungeon!

Sounds like you will soon get an opportunity to "borrow them back," then!

But I'm sure it would be relatively easy to come by a couple more kitties who need a home rather than go mano a mano with the Crazy Neighbor Lady.

The life span of wild animals usually increases in zoos too but nobody argues that all wild animals should be kept in captivity. I have inside cats. They may have been happier outside but I wanted them inside for my own well being as losing pets to outdoor dangers is painful to me. I think crazy cat lady sounds like a nutjob. I'd call the police non emergency line and ask for advice. I wouldn't want to confront the nut without advice.

I don't think it is a big deal that the kittens were living in a shed for a few days while everyone was being acclimated to each other. I'm assuming that the weather is relatively decent where the OP is--no extreme heat or cold--and obviously, they had shelter from the elements. That seems reasonable. Yes, I would use a bathroom, but the OP explained that wasn't the best option.

Not to do with the OP's situation, but it's absolutely ignorant to not spay or neuter cats just because they are outdoor cats and are going to "run off" and die anyway. Firstly, they would be much less likely to run off if they were altered, and secondly, there's no reason to treat an animal as disposable. Not spaying and neutering just a few cats quickly results in hundreds more cats. More cats that don't receive even proper basic care (feeding them is not caring for them) and breed even more cats that get hit by cars, die of disease, or get carried off by predatory animals.  It's disgusting. There are lots of organizations that will help with low-cost spay/neuter and often they'll even help you trap. If you don't care about the animals themselves, at least think about the mess you are creating for others. Many of those cats that run off are running off and breeding tons more cats elsewhere. If you can't spay or neuter them, trap them and drop them at a shelter. Euthanizing them is kinder. FYI, I live "in the country" on a large farm and yes, I have barn cats. They are all vaccinated and spayed/neutered. Several of them came as part of a large trap--and-release program in the town where I work that was trying to fix the mess created by people not spaying and neutering their cats. It's been a costly and time-consuming, not to mention sometimes heartbreaking (watching kittens die of disease before they can be trapped and brought to a vet, seeing cats run over, etc.) endeavor.

ETA: OP, sorry I got sidetracked--I hope you got your kittens back! Any word? This woman sounds like a nutjob. I'd probably call the police if I had any way to prove they were my kittens (e.g., the friend you got them from? photos?).

The neighbor does sound crazy. The only possibly mitigating factor is that she didn't like you saying they were in the shed.  When you explained the situation here, that sounds reasonable and not at all negligent.  But honestly, if someone just told me off-hand "I was keeping them in the shed" I would be a little taken aback if I didn't have more information.  Of course, that would not give me the right to keep your kitten!

Sorry, but none of this has anything to do with the OP keeping cats in her shed for a night.

It does. I would not keep any baby animal in a shed from which it could escape. Baby animals aren't the brighest. They are BABIES. All babies belong safe and warm and secured. The OP failed in that. That doesn't mean she's a horrible cat owner. It means she failed in keeping the kittens secure in this situation. Aside from neighbor lady, any number of things can happen to small kittens outside. Meeting crazy cat neighbor was the least painful of those...

And yes, I am aware that anything could attack my two guys that go outside but they were orginally stray barn cats. I simply trapped them, had them neutered and vet checked and maintained like house cats. They do go outside and do their jobs though. The eldest turned 15 this past July and his six month checkup was perfect so something's going right for him! :)

Come winter, none of them will even LOOK outside. :lol:

We do their dental care. We bathe them. They consume the organic raw food diet, just like their three only indoor cat buddies. Once a day or so they wander outside and check the barn for me. My kids think it's hysterical that they go to work for a bit in the afternoons.

The neighbor to the north heats his barn and doesn't allow his barn cats in during winter. The neighbor to the south is a softy like me and does.

You can treat any animal ethically and you can tame almost any domesticated animal with patience and love.

As far as crazy cat lady goes, I'd call my county if she got out of control with stray cats again. Just because something thinks they are a rescuer doesn't make them so. She sounds more like a collector and animal collectors are terrible for the health of EVERYONE involved.

But not Jinnah! She never argues on the board!

It's been a few days--have you decided what you are going to do?

I don't go around to random threads and start arguments, actually.  I will respond when someone seeks me out to start something, like here.

I beg to differ on the outside cats lives being so short...I have 6. We've had up to 9. All outdoors, as my son is allergic and I hate to burst anyones country bubble, but a farm is a farm. Mice/rats live all over no matter how 'clean' you keep your farm. They eat grass seeds, berries, bugs, nuts, leftovers, whatever they can find really...unless you live in a bubble, you have them on your property.

That said, I've had our cats mostly die old. I am not one to drag their lives out either when they are struggling from old age. I love them, but there is no point to keep them here because I want to. Some have wandered off to pass on before we could do anything. All have been over 12 yrs or more old. None have ever been hit by a car or attacked. They have safe places to go.

OP, I hope you get your kittens back...let us know :)

As far as keeping my kittens in the shed is terrible. I am not sure what you all's shed looks like but mine is very nice. I did not realize that there was a hole in the back. The temperature was the same as if they would have been inside.  They had food, water, a blanket, straw and toys.  It was quieter for them than had they  gotten barked at by the dogs. I did not realize I had a hole in the back of my shed.  I live in a quiet neighborhood I am not worried about hawks or foxes because I am too far in town for that.  They escaped, saw the neighbors cats and decided to go investigate.

I decided to let her have the kitten. It is not the best situation for the kitten as her cats eat cheap cat food and never go to the vet. It will not be spayed or vaccinated.  The reason I made this decision is this is a very small town.  The police station is full of police that have known each other for years.  The neighbor has lived here her whole life. Her sil is the city worker.  There is a burn ban that does not apply to her husband. There is a rule that there is to be no unregistered vehicles sitting in driveways that does not apply to them. Their yard is full junk.  There is a rule in town about that.  None of the rules applies to this family.  I do not want to stir up a lot of trouble. This is a town that everyone knows everyone. I had surgery three weeks ago.  I had people I don't even know ask me how my surgery went and how I am feeling. I do not have the energy to track down my other kitten.  If I take this any further I know I will be the bad buy. I have a business in town and do not want to get a bad reputation. So while I miss my kittens it is just a battle that is not worth fighting in the long run. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the suggestions. It is much appreciated :001_smile:

I beg to differ on the outside cats lives being so short...I have 6. We've had up to 9. All outdoors, as my son is allergic and I hate to burst anyones country bubble, but a farm is a farm. Mice/rats live all over no matter how 'clean' you keep your farm. They eat grass seeds, berries, bugs, nuts, leftovers, whatever they can find really...unless you live in a bubble, you have them on your property.

That said, I've had our cats mostly die old. I am not one to drag their lives out either when they are struggling from old age. I love them, but there is no point to keep them here because I want to. Some have wandered off to pass on before we could do anything. All have been over 12 yrs or more old. None have ever been hit by a car or attacked. They have safe places to go.

OP, I hope you get your kittens back...let us know :)

Of course they are on my property. But they aren't in my barn or my feed or my hay. I don't actually care if a field mouse lives in well... my FIELD.

Statistically, an outdoor cat's lifespan is around two years. You may be taking better than average care of your outdoor cats but on average, others are not.

The illusion that living in the country enables one to be less responsible for the lives on that country land is one that I and many other farming minded people are trying to shatter. Saying you're from the country and therefore it's ok that you provide your cats a less than optimal life doesn't cut it for more and more people.

Statistically, an outdoor cat's lifespan is around two years. You may be taking better than average care of your outdoor cats but on average, others are not.

I'm sorry, MAYBE if that figure includes strays and feral cats and all the kittens who die shortly after birth it might be accurate.

But if we are talking about outdoor cats which are pets? I absolutely don't believe that is true. Growing up, all my friends had outdoor cats. My cat reached the age of 19! My friends cats were certainly not under the age of 2. That statistic has been biased by the kittens who are killed while helpless and little, and the strays/ferals. Find a statistic on actual outdoor pets, not every cat who lives outdoors.

My cats are indoor cats because we live next to a highway. But if we lived on a farm, they would be outdoor cats. I also believe they would be a lot happier as outdoor cats.

What makes an outdoor cat less safe than your outdoor/indoor cats?

And finally. No one said anything about not spaying/neutering. I get mine done, most people I know get theirs done, and the ones who don't get theirs done DO care for and sell the kittens, most of which will be spayed or neutered by their new owners, so there are certainly not 'hundreds' of cats coming from them. Again, you are not separating stray and feral cats from the pet cat population. 

We have cats. They are 'fixed', but they love being outside. Our cats are excellent mousers...which is important if you live in the country. My first cat lived until she was nearly 20. She was an inside cat for 2 years when we lived in the city. Even if she managed to make it out the door, she could never make all the way down the hallway and down the stairs. Ime, it's much more difficult to keep a country cat indoors.