Menu

Completely unnecessary school supplies that you bought anyway

If you're setting up a reptile-themed room, I found snake-skin print bulletin board borders at the local teacher's store, along with various lizard, alligator, and turtle note pads and the like. Some of the rainforest sets have snakes and crocodiles, too. I was surprised at how many reptiles appeared when I started looking for them.

My favorite thing is this reset button, which was linked on a thread a while back. Before when we all got grumpy and things started to go downhill, I would sit us all down and read Voyage to the Bunny Planet to get us back on track. I see the reset button as a more expedient version of that. :tongue_smilie:

A reset button!!! Ohhhh, I could really use a reset button. Great idea.

Our van de Graaf generator.  I couldn't help it, though.  I think it's cool to have one in the house.  We have actually used it for science in 8th and 9th grades, but certainly not enough to justify the cost.  LOL.

Oh, that is just fabulous! I want one too, but it will have to wait. My college job was at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, and I used one there all the time!

For those thinking about Lego pencil holders:

http://www.handmadecharlotte.com/diy-lego-pencil-holder/

It would be really wrong of me to buy baby food just to make these..... wouldn't it?

I bought Dr. Suess pencils, lego pencil sharpeners (Michaels, with a coupon!), two of those plastic sliding pencil boxes in prints from Dollar Tree.

I took some stuff back i'd bought... like the Cat in the Hat socks :(

I could buy more..... i'm a sucker!

It would be really wrong of me to buy baby food just to make these..... wouldn't it?

Nope.  It would be totally right.  Buy baby applesauce and you can stick it in some brownies. :D  This made me realize how weird it is that baby food jars look just like minifig heads.

Nope.  It would be totally right.  Buy baby applesauce and you can stick it in some brownies. :D  This made me realize how weird it is that baby food jars look just like minifig heads.

Ohhhh, perfect - and I get chocolate out of the deal too!!!!

I sent it to DD - and apparently the HS art teacher wants to make them in art class one day!

A turquoise stapler (heavy duty)

Lots of pencils (we each have a fav brand)

Sharpies and dry erase markers in fun colors

Lego star wars notebooks

Bento like lunch boxes for all 6 of us

Post-its: each of us have our own color

I bought three boxes of red pens :)

Each of us got a new pair of scissors that feel better to use than out old ones

Usb drives just because we like the colors

Pretty notepad paper from the. $1 section of target

Crazy rulers and erasers

Well, I bought more wide rule paper than we could use in 5 years, a ton of spiral notebooks because 1 cent, and 3 more rulers (for 2 kids, and we already had 3) because 1 cent.

In my defense, I am starting to use spiral notebooks in school more, so they will get used eventually.  I have no explanation for wide ruled paper.  Oh yes, and 2 vinyl pencil bags.  You guessed it, 1 cent.

Well, I bought more wide rule paper than we could use in 5 years, a ton of spiral notebooks because 1 cent, and 3 more rulers (for 2 kids, and we already had 3) because 1 cent.

In my defense, I am starting to use spiral notebooks in school more, so they will get used eventually.  I have no explanation for wide ruled paper.  Oh yes, and 2 vinyl pencil bags.  You guessed it, 1 cent.

Actually, wide ruled paper is really good for Math. 

I may have visited wal-mart today and there were some shinny things on clearance...like metallic pencils....etc...etc...and $40 later we were out the door. I did get a big fraction pizza to use for math. and 2 crayola dry erase boards with crayons for $4@ for the littles to put in workbox drawers.

I mentioned in the other school supplies thread that I always buy at least a couple of frivolous school supplies.  This year's items are erasers shaped like hats that fit onto a pencil allowing it to have a stack of hats, and post-it notes shaped like mustaches.  I mean, we'll use them.  But...  no one *needs* this silly stuff.

But I know I'm not the only one who buys it!  What are your completely absurd school supply purchases?  Tape with cute characters?  Erasers shaped like odd items?  Hole punches that punch funny shapes?  Adorable lunch boxes even though your children lunch at the dining room table?

LOL, I bought the same mustache post-its!

Lego star wars notebooks

Crazy rulers and erasers

Lol...And this I bought too! 

Lego star wars notebooks

Crazy rulers and erasers

Lol...And this I bought too! 

Alright, today I saw these and couldn't resist for my Lego lovers. Hopefully they will fit DD's Friends too. It could be like Elf on the Shelf for school days. I'm already thinking of the clever and fabulous things they could say. :lol:

Ooh, that's really cool!  Forget the school supplies - that's a perfect small birthday giftie!

Now we're just onto random stuff, but that makes me think of Brick Stix, which are also really awesome.

Books are never frivolous, right? Therefore, my answer is "none."

Despite all the books I bought "just to look at" (e.g., Lial's Pre-A, even though we are using Dolciani) and all the fiction books (which may or may not be at the library, but I wanted dour own copy) and the cool art and history supplements (that will be strewn around for people to look at if they want).

This might be my favorite theme for a thread ever! :D

I bought the kids new library totes, which doesn't sound frivolous except that they already have perfectly serviceable backpacks. I couldn't resist the cute ones at Barnes and Noble. DD got the Jane Austen "Nine Lives" bag (scenes from her novels illustrated with cats; DD lives for cats), DS10 got The Hobbit, and DS7 got Harry Potter.

I bought cute post-its too (thought bubbles, exclamation marks, and thumbs-up...although now that I think of it, if I wanted to be a real wench, I could make those thumbs-down :lol:). I can't resist any kind of post-it! I bought the kids their own post-its for their supply caddies. And gum, because we can!

I also bought new mugs for each of us to use during school. DS10's is my favorite. It says "Dear Math, I am not a therapist. Solve your own problems." He and math have a history, so we both find this very funny.

My favorite thing is this reset button, which was linked on a thread a while back. Before when we all got grumpy and things started to go downhill, I would sit us all down and read Voyage to the Bunny Planet to get us back on track. I see the reset button as a more expedient version of that. :tongue_smilie: Last but not least, I bought the multi-color star LED light strand from IKEA to decorate our HS room.

Love these! I got a Nancy Drew one.  Not for the kids. Just for me.  Just because.

Oh my word, I totally want the Jane Austen tote!  And I love that math mug -- where'd you get it?

And where are you guys getting all these cute post-its!?  All I ever see is plain ol' square.... maybe I'm just not looking properly... 

This might be my favorite theme for a thread ever! :D

I bought the kids new library totes, which doesn't sound frivolous except that they already have perfectly serviceable backpacks. I couldn't resist the cute ones at Barnes and Noble. DD got the Jane Austen "Nine Lives" bag (scenes from her novels illustrated with cats; DD lives for cats), DS10 got The Hobbit, and DS7 got Harry Potter.

I bought cute post-its too (thought bubbles, exclamation marks, and thumbs-up...although now that I think of it, if I wanted to be a real wench, I could make those thumbs-down :lol:). I can't resist any kind of post-it! I bought the kids their own post-its for their supply caddies. And gum, because we can!

I also bought new mugs for each of us to use during school. DS10's is my favorite. It says "Dear Math, I am not a therapist. Solve your own problems." He and math have a history, so we both find this very funny.

My favorite thing is this reset button, which was linked on a thread a while back. Before when we all got grumpy and things started to go downhill, I would sit us all down and read Voyage to the Bunny Planet to get us back on track. I see the reset button as a more expedient version of that. :tongue_smilie: Last but not least, I bought the multi-color star LED light strand from IKEA to decorate our HS room.

Oh my word, I totally want the Jane Austen tote!  And I love that math mug -- where'd you get it?

And where are you guys getting all these cute post-its!?  All I ever see is plain ol' square.... maybe I'm just not looking properly... 

Well, phooey. Turns out I misremembered about the tote. It is this one and has different famous authors depicted as cats, including Jane Austen. I don't know why I remembered it with all Jane Austen. Maybe because she is my favorite author and cats are DD's favorite animal. Cute either way...

I got the mug on eBay. I first stumbled upon it on Amazon but thought it was overpriced there. Cafe Press has lots too. Some of the fonts are boring though.

Well, phooey. Turns out I misremembered about the tote. It is this one and has different famous authors depicted as cats, including Jane Austen. I don't know why I remembered it with all Jane Austen. Maybe because she is my favorite author and cats are DD's favorite animal. Cute either way...

Ah well... I needed a new tote like I need a hole in the head... :D

I got the mug on eBay. I first stumbled upon it on Amazon but thought it was overpriced there. Cafe Press has lots too. Some of the fonts are boring though.

Well, I certainly never buy things with boring fonts. ;) (Actually, this is true.  I won't even buy a *curriculum* with a font I don't like.)

Now I want a new library tote!  Ours broke from crazy overuse so it wouldn't even have to be frivolous...

Just a few more thoughts from around the web about silly school supplies...

From the Pioneer Woman's blog:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2013/07/absolutely-unnecessary-school-supplies-part-ii/

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/2012/07/absolute-unnecessary-school-supplies/

From Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/inspirefutures/unusual-school-supplies/ (there's cool pencil fidgets linked on this one)

The main thing I have learned from this thread is that the world is full of weird tape dispensers.  I personally really like this one:

$(KGrHqJHJDQFBojWl1MWBQipQYLYy!~~60_12.J

It's punny.  Get it?  A tape dispenser?  Get it?  Ha.

I love that so many people also got the mustache post-its!  We just read Fake Mustache so I know the kids are going to love them.

Here's the terrible part for me...  I now have all the next year's stuff - the books, the games, the new wall posters, the silly and serious school supplies - but we follow an odd schedule so we can't open them yet!!!  Boo!  They're all hidden in my closet waiting for "Box Day" which isn't for a few more weeks.