Menu

Class of 2014 college acceptances

hsbeth

Hmmm. I can't see the emoticon symbol on my iPad. That's pretty much all I ever use these days. So, thanks, Laura in CA for posting the party people for me!!

If I click on the "more reply options" the "enable emoticons" box is checked???

Ha ha! I am such a techno-goob!

I'm pretty clueless, too ... I was so excited when I finally figured out the party people!

And I can't do emoticons on my iPad, either ... I had to go to the big computer to reply. Perhaps someone knows how? Or maybe it's not possible, or my iPad is too old ...

Anyway, congrats again!!!!!

:party:

ETA: Oooh! Oooh! I just figured it out! Just type

: party :

on your iPad (without the spaces between the colons & the word 'party') and the party people appear and start dancing!!! Cynthia, I want to see some people partying in your posts now. I know you can do it!!! :)

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMGoodness!! Ds was just accepted to Rice University with Trustee Scholarship of $21,500 per year!!!!

I don't know how to make those party people dancing around! Someone teach me quick!!

Woo-hoo!

Completely unexpected!!

Joining your party!!

Congratulations!

And, BTW, you can type : party : without the spaces between the colons and letters to get the party people! 

That's interesting that you have degrees from CMC & Pomona! Way back when, I turned down offers from both Pomona and Harvey Mudd. I wish there was some way to "grandfather" my acceptances :D -- it's a different, more competitive process now, it seems.

That is for sure. I doubt I would have been admitted applying today.

This thread is so inspiring as a homeschooling newb. Congrats to all on the acceptances!

ETA for clarification: my degree is only from CMC, but one of the majors (Russian) was only offered by Pomona. Double majors are common at the Claremont Colleges.

I love this thread and the List one.  It is so inspirational to see the number and variety of acceptances.

I, too, love watching these threads. I remember back when I was first considering full-time homeschooling for my daughter who was a rising 10th grader back in 2000. We were returning from overseas and trying to figure out what to do. At that time, homeschooling parents still had major worries about whether or not students could get accepted into colleges, especially highly selective schools, with a homeschool diploma. It's nice to see the wide variety of acceptances our kids today are receiving.

OMGoodness!! Ds was just accepted to Rice University with Trustee Scholarship of $21,500 per year!!!!

I don't know how to make those party people dancing around! Someone teach me quick!!

Woo-hoo!

Completely unexpected!!

Definitely joining your party!  :party: 

Congrats!  Is Rice now a top contender?

Definitely joining your party! :party:

Congrats! Is Rice now a top contender?

Well, if it were solely up to dh and me, YES!! Rice is more affordable than WashU anyway, but with this unexpected twist, I would absolutely put it at the top! However, it isn't solely up to dh and me (we're not the ones going to college, ya' know?). Trying not to act *too* excited about any one place. I don't want to drive ds away because *I* think it's a super idea, kwim? We have asked him to think about whether or not he wants to go down to Owl Days. I just KNOW if he would go down there and do the overnight thing he would love it!! BUT, it would mean he would have to miss three days of school! That is a LOT with APs just around the corner. He is also in the hunt for val/sal, but can't let even one grade slide if he wants to get it. We plan to talk about it at dinner tonight.

ETA: We have visited, but it was in October of ds's junior year, so it has been awhile. Additionally, he was considering music performance at the time, so he wasn't looking at Rice through an IR lens.

We have three more decisions to go. I hope the boards don't stay down for too long! What a time to have maintenance going on! ha ha! If he were to get into one of those three, that might also necessitate a visit because we have NEVER been there. It is an ultra reach, so he won't likely get in anyway.

Cynthia, if you are sure he would love Rice if he went for an overnight and really considered it, then I would really encourage him to go look, despite the missed school.  I think the future is more important than the past, but then I was never very involved with my high school experience, anyway, so I guess I'm not really in a position to judge.  I guess it depends whether you think Rice is a better fit than his other choices and can keep from being swayed by the name alone.  Good luck!  Nan

Thanks, Nan.

Our family had a good discussion at dinner. I think he is starting to narrow things down. I think Rice is definitely in the top 3 of his current choices. He spent a lot of time researching course offerings, majors, etc. on their site today. At this point, he thinks he does not need to visit any schools again. He feels like he does not need to go back down there since we *have* visited. His current top three (out of existing options) are all quite different from each other. I think two of them would be great fits for him - kind of for different reasons. The third is not my favorite, but I can see its appeal.

Of the three remaining decisions, he seems to have preemptively eliminated one, even if he gets in. The other two are both ultra-reaches anyway. I don't think he would be swayed by name alone. He may be completely finished with choices anyway! His remaining three are super tough!

All that to say, I don't think he wants to forgo three of his class days to revisit Rice. His schools is on a true block schedule, so it is a lot of material to miss. He is primarily concerned about AP Bio. He has five AP exams in May. April contains two weekends of state quiz bowl as well as his Eagle Court of Honor. Wish Easter had fallen in March!

I can't believe how leisurely this spring is feeling, despite extended family graduations, extra-kid honour society inductions, new jobs, masses of governmental paperwork, elder care events, camping trips, and all the normal waterfront stuff.  And all because youngest is STUCK in college until May lol and then my father gets him until he flies to Colorado in July.  We aren't trying to arrange for him to fly someplace on the other side of the world.  We aren't trying to graduate him, with all the events and paperwork involved with that.  He has no tests.  We aren't waiting anxiously for the mail or trying to deal with a long list of things like doctors appointments and housing forms and financial aid.  Last year was wild.  Maybe Easter will turn out to be a welcome family-time break rather than one more thing you have to deal with.  May I suggest croissant sandwiches for Easter dinner lol?  Or perhaps an obliging relative could invite you to dinner?

Nan

We know a girl who is a freshman at Rice this year. She said she knew the moment she stepped on the campus (for admitted student days) that it was the place for her and she finally found her people.

She is thrilled to be there. Admitted student days are nice, because you actually get to see your potential classmates. For her, that made her decision.

I can't believe how leisurely this spring is feeling, despite extended family graduations, extra-kid honour society inductions, new jobs, masses of governmental paperwork, elder care events, camping trips, and all the normal waterfront stuff.  And all because youngest is STUCK in college until May lol and then my father gets him until he flies to Colorado in July.  We aren't trying to arrange for him to fly someplace on the other side of the world.  We aren't trying to graduate him, with all the events and paperwork involved with that.  He has no tests.  We aren't waiting anxiously for the mail or trying to deal with a long list of things like doctors appointments and housing forms and financial aid.  Last year was wild.  Maybe Easter will turn out to be a welcome family-time break rather than one more thing you have to deal with.  May I suggest croissant sandwiches for Easter dinner lol?  Or perhaps an obliging relative could invite you to dinner?

Nan

I assume this is a test for the jealousy gene?  ;)

FTR, I passed... I have the gene.  :D

Enjoy your time!

We have all but one random data point now, so decision time is near.....

Dd received a good merit aid award from Eastman!  :hurray:

And she got into the Dual Degree Program -- if she goes to the snowy north, she will be a math major at U. Rochester and an organ performance major at Eastman. :001_smile:

Oddly enough, U of R and Eastman give different merit aid, so she is still waiting to hear from U of R. (No, unfortunately, they don't stack -- she will need to choose either the U of R one or the Eastman one.)

We have all but one random data point now, so decision time is near.....

Dd received a good merit aid award from Eastman!  :hurray:

And she got into the Dual Degree Program -- if she goes to the snowy north, she will be a math major at U. Rochester and an organ performance major at Eastman. :001_smile:

Oddly enough, U of R and Eastman give different merit aid, so she is still waiting to hear from U of R. (No, unfortunately, they don't stack -- she will need to choose either the U of R one or the Eastman one.)

I'm biased again, but :party:

Congratulations!!!

This was a rough rejection week.

Dd got rejected from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Hopkins, William and Mary, and Amherst. :mellow:

She seems to have bounced back and has decided she'll go to Patrick Henry.

Dd got rejected from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Hopkins, William and Mary, and Amherst. :mellow:

I'm glad she's regrouped quickly.

I was just thinking last week that it would be so much better if the more selective/competitive colleges notified first so that students could get the nasty rejections out of the way and then still look forward to hearing from the more accessible colleges.

((Hugs)) I'm impressed that she applied to so many tough schools!

Hugs to you and your DD, and glad that she took it well.

Not that it is any comfort, but she's in good company. My DD has been rejected from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Hopkins as well. Plus Stanford and Northwestern.

She treated herself to some retail therapy and bought herself a different color red lipstick for each of yesterday's schools.

Not that it is any comfort, but she's in good company. My DD has been rejected from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Hopkins as well. Plus Stanford and Northwestern.

She treated herself to some retail therapy and bought herself a different color red lipstick for each of yesterday's schools.

Consolations, and I'm impressed with your kids' resilience.

My son found out today he's waitlisted at Stanford. (Their admit rate was an insane 5.07%  :huh: ) He has decided to accept a spot on the waitlist, even though his odds of coming off it are vanishingly small. 

And it's not like he'll be in limbo for months ... he's very excited about his other choices, especially UC Berkeley. He hasn't yet decided for sure where he will attend, but he's been making big plans :) -- for example, he's looking into taking a CC class this summer that will knock off one of his gen-ed requirements at UC; he'd like to talk to an advisor at Cal Day about possibly double-majoring (math/CS) and double-minoring (classics & German), plus going overseas; etc.  We (and my parents) are ecstatic that my second son might end up so close to home -- less than an hour away by easy public transportation. None of the long drive or plane tickets/hotel rooms that make visiting our older son so complicated. My husband is eager to buy the dad t-shirt (isn't it cute?). (Oops -- couldn't upload an image, so I linked to it.)

I may update my list of acceptances on the other thread with my son's merit aid that has come in for various other schools, just as an FYI for homeschoolers coming behind ...

And can I just say I'm soooo glad we're (almost) done! This has been a long, long process, and we're not where I thought we'd be right now, but in some ways it's better. And I could not have done it without the wise, helpful, funny parents on this board!   :thumbup1:

Consolations, and I'm impressed with your kids' resilience.

I may update my list of acceptances on the other thread with my son's merit aid that has come in for various other schools, just as an FYI for homeschoolers coming behind ...

And can I just say I'm glad we're (almost) done! This has been a long, long process, and we're not where I thought we'd be right now, but in some ways it's better.

I agree, Laura. The kids on this forum applied to an amazing list of schools and the rejections are not a negative reflection on what wasn't achieved bc the reality is that they weren't long shots as in "no way." They faced the same reality as the other 80-95% of students that weren't accepted.......qualified but not that perfect "match." But, that they were competitive in the first place says a tremendous amt about them and their efforts!!, The list of acceptances is pretty dang impressive, too!

We also are not where we thought we would be, but it is certainly a far better financial picture than what we had hoped for! He has had a few minor twinges when he has been reading where his friends from SSP are going. But, he is also super happy to have some of the unique opportunities he will get to have. And, we found out tonight that it is about 95% certain that our oldest ds and his family will be moving here in June!! I know our 18yos will be glad not to be on the other side of the country and within easy holiday commuting distance.

I should also add some of the merit stuff I left off. Since ds outright rejected Auburn, I didn't bother including their scholarship offer when I listed it.

:grouphug: We were rooting for her, so our hearts go out to her. 

Knowing how incredibly gifted and talented she is, we know she will be a mover and shaker at PHC!

My son found out today he's waitlisted at Stanford. (Their admit rate was an insane 5.07%  :huh: ) He has decided to accept a spot on the waitlist, even though his odds of coming off it are vanishingly small. 

Considering that Stanford is an ultra-reach school, it is quite an honor to even be offered a spot on the waitlist!

DS was rejected by Duke, which we expected but still stung just a wee bit (even though DS had already decided it wouldn't be a good fit for him).

The letter said they had 32,000 applications for 1,700 spots.  Which if my simple math works means they had an admit rate of 5.3%.  So I told DS he was in good company in rejection land. ;)

Regentrude, I love your DD's retail therapy!

Many :grouphug:  to all those with rejections - and I'm glad to hear that there are great backups!

It's also a great reason to have great backups... The really competitive schools seem to get far more competitive each year.

The vast majority of students end up loving where they go, even if it wasn't their #1 choice at the beginning.

I'm glad she's regrouped quickly.

I was just thinking last week that it would be so much better if the more selective/competitive colleges notified first so that students could get the nasty rejections out of the way and then still look forward to hearing from the more accessible colleges.

Yes - that's how it is in the UK - Oxford and Cambridge hand out (conditional) offers just after Christmas, but other offers may come in any time up to May.

L

Good gravy, with admit rates getting so low, I hate to think what the admissions cycle will be like for dd in four years!

Remember, the admit rate is different than just acceptances and freshmen slots.  They accept more knowing not all students will attend even if admitted.  A student can only attend one school.  Top schools will have a higher "yield" than non-top, but no school gets 100% of those who are admitted attending.  This is why many offer waitlists - just to fill a class if their yield is lower than expected.

HOWEVER, acceptance rates at higher level schools (and those great with need-based aid) tend to be going down, so it's worth it to be as well-prepared as possible - and to have good back up schools.

Remember, the admit rate is different than just acceptances and freshmen slots.  They accept more knowing not all students will attend even if admitted.  A student can only attend one school.  Top schools will have a higher "yield" than non-top, but no school gets 100% of those who are admitted attending.  This is why many offer waitlists - just to fill a class if their yield is lower than expected.

HOWEVER, acceptance rates at higher level schools (and those great with need-based aid) tend to be going down, so it's worth it to be as well-prepared as possible - and to have good back up schools.

Remember, too, that it's not just about getting into the college sometimes. My son didn't apply to any super-selective colleges. However, he has been auditioning for musical theatre programs. Even the good-but-not-nationally-known program that is currently his tentative top choice offers places to about 100 of the 1200 or so students who apply/audition each year. I think that works out to a program admission rate of about 8%? Some other, better-known programs are, of course, even more competitive.

So, if you have a kid looking at a selective program even on a fairly accessible campus, it's best to plan ahead and have more than one iron in the fire.

DS was rejected by Duke, which we expected but still stung just a wee bit (even though DS had already decided it wouldn't be a good fit for him).

The letter said they had 32,000 applications for 1,700 spots.  Which if my simple math works means they had an admit rate of 5.3%.  So I told DS he was in good company in rejection land. ;)

Regentrude, I love your DD's retail therapy!

As Creekland pointed out, it's only 5.3% if they have 100% yield .. but whatever their yield, Duke's admit rate IS low!

And yes, it wouldn't work for my son :) but I love Regentrude's daughter's therapy too! It made me wonder if my son would want Lego minifigures for each disappointment -- hmmm ... :)

Many :grouphug:  to all those with rejections - and I'm glad to hear that there are great backups!

It's also a great reason to have great backups... The really competitive schools seem to get far more competitive each year.

The vast majority of students end up loving where they go, even if it wasn't their #1 choice at the beginning.

Everything I've always said to students/parents was absolutely true for us, as it turns out :) -- have a safety; have a financial safety; make sure your safety is a school you'd actually want to attend; and have at least two safeties so you are assured of having a choice.

Good gravy, with admit rates getting so low, I hate to think what the admissions cycle will be like for dd in four years!

The joke (I've seen it in Stanford's and maybe Harvard's humor columns) is that with the way admit rates for those schools are going -- from 7% to 6% to 5% -- soon it will be 1% or even zero LOL.

Stanford's yield is something approaching 80%, so they admit far fewer students (in absolute numbers) than they did 30 years ago, when their yield was 60%. Add to that a shrinking globe and lower fuel costs -- meaning way more applicants from across the US and many, many foreign countries -- and the admit rate just keeps plummeting.

By the way ... there will be some happy, happy news posted here soon!!! I won't say anything more :)

Sigh, yet another reason to love the UK.

But remember - these are just conditional offers.  Calvin still has to sweat through revision and exams for the IB in order to see if any of these offers will stand.  Those results don't come out until July.  So it's not all rosy.

L

Ds was accepted to Stanford yesterday!!!

I'll add a :party: .  Stanford had the lowest acceptance rate of academic colleges last year.  Definite congratulations from here regardless of whether he chooses to attend there or not.  He has some great choices - best wishes for the decision making!