Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hsbeth

Class of 2014 college acceptances

I assumed you raised pigs.

That makes two of us. Or at least that she liked pigs.

I do not understand the relation to sports, can anybody spell it out clearly for this ignorant foreigner?

Um, excuse me, but I think MY son is the only one who chose a college on the beach, no?  ;)  Sue in St Pete happens to live in the same city (and my guy also lived in that city for his first 6 months of life), but unless she has a waterfront house... and if she DOES have a waterfront house, where's our invitation to be staying with her???

:bigear: Dh likes to say that we live on the "mountain" of St Petersburg - 40ft above sea level.  That's a good thing if you have heard any of the news about flood insurance lately.  No waterfront property, but there will be a brand new guest bedroom come August... ;)

Hmmm ...  how about a WTM pool/beach party at Sue's?   January or February sounds good!

We do have a pool, but the heater is busted...

That makes two of us. Or at least that she liked pigs.

I do not understand the relation to sports, can anybody spell it out clearly for this ignorant foreigner?

My in-laws live a stone's throw away from U of Arkansas.  The school mascot is a razorback pig.  That may remind you of another mom on the boards...

I think the pig has to do with Tyson who is a big employer in AR.  But, maybe that's just a rumor.

My in-laws live a stone's throw away from U of Arkansas. The school mascot is a razorback pig. That may remind you of another mom on the boards...

I think the pig has to do with Tyson who is a big employer in AR. But, maybe that's just a rumor.

Ha ha! No, it has nothing to do with Tyson! Razorbacks have been around much longer than Tyson.

The mascot for the University of Arkansas is the Razorback, which is a wild hog. The main cheer that Hog fans do, is to "call the Hogs." A very long "Woooooooooooooo," followed by "Pig, Sooie!" You do it three times and then yell, "Razorbacks!"

I am not smart enough to link - you should google it!

Another thing that makes following the U of A sports teams so popular is that we have no professional teams in our state to compete with them. They are THE state team.

ETA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Razorbacks

The beginning part of the article explains the mascot.

Today I am definitely feeling bitter. Ds had his lesson today, and I mentioned that he would be participating in a Jazz workshop at his likely University. His teacher immediately went on to discuss why that school really isn't a good fit for ds because of X, Y, and Z. Gee, thanks. I know that already. But we don't have an extra $25K to fork over for his other choices. And we really can't justify taking out loans when he will have close to a full ride and be able to graduate without any debt, which is particularly useful when you want to continue on to graduate school and pursue a career with fairly low job and income potential.

I need to bury myself in chocolate and another zombie apocalypse novel.

So sorry Susan. Your music teacher was out of line. How is your ds taking it? It would probably be harder on me if my ds cared. He is perfectly happy. He spent hours upon hours in prayer during the yr. He would literally ask me if he could go to Adoration (prayer in front of the Holy Eucharist) a couple of times per week. He feels like he has ended up where he was meant to go and has complete peace with it.

Nan has given you great advice. I hope you are able to find positives that bring you some peace.

Awww, Susan.  Go back and read the thread about attending the not-so-great music school and remember that there will be other wonderful and creative musicians and instructors at your son's school.  There will also be many great professional opportunities in the community around campus, too, which your ds will start to learn about once he is on campus.  And Nan's advice about looking at the other opportunities on campus is excellent. I know she was suggesting that you look at them so you feel better, but you know it is a good thing for music majors to have a life outside music and a well-rounded campus will offer a variety of activities.

Musicians, including music teachers, can be a very insular, myopic lot, who have only one way of thinking. They can be totally undiplomatic when talking with parents and students.  Your son's teacher clearly wasn't thinking about practical reasons why college x is off the table, and he probably can't even wrap his head around the good points of the affordable school.  In fact, he likely doesn't know that much about the school!  I'm sure he wants the best for your ds, just didn't stop to think that it might be a sore subject at the moment!

He spent hours upon hours in prayer during the yr. He would literally ask me if he could go to Adoration (prayer in front of the Holy Eucharist) a couple of times per week. He feels like he has ended up where he was meant to go and has complete peace with it.

Love this! My son also spent a lot of time in Adoration this past year, and it has had a wonderful, calming effect on him. He started the year very agitated about the upcoming changes, and now he seems to be at peace, and even a bit excited about the future. God is good....

Brenda

Love this! My son also spent a lot of time in Adoration this past year, and it has had a wonderful, calming effect on him. He started the year very agitated about the upcoming changes, and now he seems to be at peace, and even a bit excited about the future. God is good....

Brenda

Isn't it amazing! My prayer now is that he can find a great group of Catholics on campus.

So sorry Susan. Your music teacher was out of line. How is your ds taking it? It would probably be harder on me if my ds cared. He is perfectly happy. He spent hours upon hours in prayer during the yr. He would literally ask me if he could go to Adoration (prayer in front of the Holy Eucharist) a couple of times per week. He feels like he has ended up where he was meant to go and has complete peace with it.

Nan has given you great advice. I hope you are able to find positives that bring you some peace.

It is sometimes hard to read ds - he is fairly quiet, but overall I think he is doing OK.  He mentioned the other day that he knows that how he uses his time in college is far more important than where he goes.  And talking through some things today, we realized a few aspects of this school that we found at the beginning of this whole process (a couple of the professors, networking, and the extensive travel abroad program) really do make it a decent choice, particularly when you consider how affordable it will be for us and ds.

His teacher immediately went on to discuss why that school really isn't a good fit for ds because of X, Y, and Z.  

Hang in there, Susan!  My violin dd went through this, and it really stunk!  DePaul wasn't the school of her dreams at the time, and she was really struggling with it.  The teacher comments were so out of line.

Our story has a happy ending, and hopefully yours will too!  Dd is graduating in June, and she is continuing on at DePaul for grad school in violin performance.  She said, "I don't feel done with classical music yet, and I still have a lot more I can learn from my teacher."  

Haters gonna hate!  Pooh on them!

Hang in there, Susan!  My violin dd went through this, and it really stunk!  DePaul wasn't the school of her dreams at the time, and she was really struggling with it.  The teacher comments were so out of line.

Our story has a happy ending, and hopefully yours will too!  Dd is graduating in June, and she is continuing on at DePaul for grad school in violin performance.  She said, "I don't feel done with classical music yet, and I still have a lot more I can learn from my teacher."  

Haters gonna hate!  Pooh on them!

Beth, let me congratulate your daughter! I feel like our kids grew up together on these boards.

My ds definitely will not be attending his first choice school. It is hard to say no due to finances, but he understands. He has a two visits this coming week. Hopefully, he will have a strong feeling one way or another. They are complete polar opposites.

I assumed you raised pigs.  That it was associated with football or a university would NEVER EVER have occurred to me lol.

Nan

I must be one of the few people who got it from the start...

But then my MiL's custom lullaby for DW is based on the Arkansas fight song and the one for my SiL on the Iowa fight song.

So, DS also has a further derived Arkansas inspired lullaby among many others. With a shorter name you just get to add in more letter repetitions.

All very ironic since I don't follow college football and have never lived near either state and my MiL probably hasn't watch any sporting event since her college days. Ain't pop culture grand ;)

My ds definitely will not be attending his first choice school. It is hard to say no due to finances, but he understands. He has a two visits this coming week. Hopefully, he will have a strong feeling one way or another. They are complete polar opposites.

Running the Race -- I hope that your son is okay with not attending his first choice school and that he can make a decision between the other two quickly. It'll be nice when he can move on to celebrating where he is going rather than pondering his options and not-options.

:bigear: Dh likes to say that we live on the "mountain" of St Petersburg - 40ft above sea level.  That's a good thing if you have heard any of the news about flood insurance lately.  No waterfront property, but there will be a brand new guest bedroom come August... ;)

We do have a pool, but the heater is busted...

You live VERY near where friends of ours lived when we were here (18 - 23 years ago now!).  They knew they were our (and many of their other friends) evacuation place to go should a severe storm or hurricane threaten.  We all would have brought stuff and had a BIG party... fortunately, we never had to put the plan in motion.  Our house was a whopping 6 or 9 (can't remember) feet above sea level... not waterfront, just close to it in elevation!

I almost feel guilty posting this next part... For our Eckerd visit I booked a hotel in St Pete Beach since we love the water, but I booked a parking lot view to save $$ - esp since we'll be at the college for the bulk of the daylight hours today and will be checking out tomorrow (flying home right after their "day" concludes).  However, we got here yesterday and at check in found the hotel had upgraded us to one of their Penthouse Suites at no extra charge.  We gave up a balcony over the parking lot for floor to ceiling views of both the gulf and bay (on the other side of the spit of land, not Tampa Bay).  Yesterday we spent hours IN the room just enjoying looking out at it all - and we bought dinner from Publix to eat in too (WHY pay for an expensive restaurant - or fast food - with a view like this for free?).  I told youngest we just might drop him off at Eckerd and come back to our view... (he knows we're kidding).  I'm watching sunrise as we type feeling really lucky and thankful.

Oh, and we'll be tipping the maid... it's difficult to remove ALL the sand no matter how hard we try.  ;)

As a smaller perk... driving to the airport yesterday I passed a policeman in town and checked my speed.  Not speeding.  Good.  I then looked back up at the road to find the light ahead of me had just changed, but I was too close to it to stop, so ran it just after it turned red.  AND, he didn't even budge.  He must not have been looking as the police in this town are notorious for ANY infraction.

TWO blessings on one trip.  May our college visit be the third!

To those who can't financially afford their top choice(s)... I'll add my reminder that I couldn't either (back in the day when college was "cheap.")  I LOVED where I went and met hubby there.  In hindsight, I'd have changed NOTHING.  In the meantime for all of you... :grouphug:

the hotel had upgraded us to one of their Penthouse Suites at no extra charge. 

Awesome!  That's the intercoastal waterway you are facing.  Enjoy the view.

Creekland, PM me and let me know what hotel you booked. We may visit Eckerd for middle ds next year because we need to ask some specifics before he even applies. I wouldn't mind making a little mini-vacation out of it.

Awesome!  That's the intercoastal waterway you are facing.  Enjoy the view.

Actually, we're facing north.  This "room" is just big enough that it has great views of both the Gulf of Mexico (and beach) and the Intercoastal at a wide section.  I'm thinking Boca Ciego Bay?  But that's just off memory, so could be totally wrong.  I could look it up later, but we're soon to head to the college - thus ending our view (since we're back after dark).

Creekland, PM me and let me know what hotel you booked. We may visit Eckerd for middle ds next year because we need to ask some specifics before he even applies. I wouldn't mind making a little mini-vacation out of it.

I don't think it needs to be a PM since I don't mind advertising for this place considering the awesome upgrade they gave us for free.

We're staying at the Grand Plaza Hotel here:

http://www.grandplazaflorida.com/

We've also stayed at the Tradewinds before and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  The Tradewinds offers more in things to do for kids (water slide, paddle boats, etc), but they also charge an extra resort fee for it, so be sure to calculate it in to the total cost if comparing.  Both have great beachfront locations and we had a true beachfront room there when we stayed.

ps I just asked youngest if he preferred the Tradewinds or Grand and he said Grand, but remember, they gave us an awesome view + upgrade to the room...  There's only 100 yards (or so) of beachfront between the two properties.  Either would easily suffice for a nice mini-vacation.

I'll do a trip report of Eckerd overall after we get home (probably a day after we get home as we'll be getting home late at night).

Calvin has made his choice of preferred and fall-back universities - under the British UCAS common application system, you can apply to up to five universities, but before May you need to narrow down any offers you have received to two.  Depending on your final exam results, you will automatically go to one or the other.  

So if Calvin gets very good results in his IB exams, he will go to Oxford; if he gets good results, he will go to Warwick.  In both cases, he will be studying English and Classics.

Now he just needs to apply for government loans to cover fees and accommodation.  He'll do that after he finishes his exams at the end of May.

We will finally know his destination when he gets his exam results on July 5th.

L

Creekland I've missed your visit reports!  I wish I could give you a list of colleges to visit and report back on.  lol 

Your penthouse sounds wonderful!  

Creekland I've missed your visit reports!  I wish I could give you a list of colleges to visit and report back on.  lol 

Your penthouse sounds wonderful!  

If there were a way to make college visit reports actually pay for a living, it would be tempting to do them in retirement.  I've found I actually enjoy visiting the vast majority of schools - even if my guys don't end up applying due to fit reasons.  There are many colleges out there doing so many great things it give me hope for our future.

And the penthouse sure is nice enough to spoil a person...

Their choosing us to "upgrade" was a smart choice on their part.  We're now talking about returning here in August when we drop youngest off... though I looked at the penthouse prices... :svengo:  and we will likely select a "lesser," but still quite nice, room.  They have a "Grand Plaza Beach Club" we can join (for free) that will give us discounts on all future stays (not the first stay).  This is likely to end up being our hotel of choice for visits...

I just had a "business discussion" with youngest talking about how sometimes it can pay off for a business to give perks for free.  ;)

Ds has made his decision and will be attending Stanford University this fall!

Congrats! Pull up a chair and join those of us lounging on the beach chillin in our shades. :)

Sue -- sorry, yes, it's Cal (UC Berkeley)!

I was just thinking I should post in that new decisions thread.

He did accept a spot on Stanford's wait list a day or two ago, following Kathy's excellent advice, but we're not holding our breath (especially after Cynthia's son did not free up a spot :glare:  <-- haha! just kidding! I'm thrilled we'll be able to meet sometime soon and have a WTM party with Kathy and anyone else who wants to come!). And my son says that in the unlikely event that he is offered a spot, he would probably stick with Cal. :)

Go Bears! :)

What do y'all think about bolding the final decision in the second part of the list thread? Where we are listed by user names and then have a string of schools after those? I always think this sort of information is helpful for the future.

I am going to start this (might be later tonight - got dinner and choir now...).  I may update a few names beside my own if I know where they are going.  I think I know 3 others...

Fantastic!!!

Our sons can see each other at Big Game, heehee ...

attachicon.gifbeat cal.GIF

photo source here, with other cool pictures

These are great! Just forwarded the link to my ds!

Congratulations to Hoggirl and ds! Awesome.

Party, party...the final decisions are rolling in! :hurray:  :hurray: :hurray:  

*LC, on 04 Apr 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:snapback.png

I have had a number of friends who have had children die before college or were "damaged" along the way so severely that they will never go to college, so, I have a different perspective here also.

This is understandable, but I think it's important to note that not everyone who has experienced the above walks away with the same perspective.  A wide range of emotions can still be felt in a vast array of circumstances. Losing a child to death or experiencing a child's life-changing illness or accident does not lead to one way of thinking or feeling. College decisions can still cause angst. For some people the decisions are all the more difficult because of the past.

I never would try to speak for my friends’ who went through these tragedies with their children. I was saying watching these losses happen to my close friends changed MY perspective on life and what was important to ME in MY life and for MY kids, who were preschool/toddler age at the time MY perspective changed.

I can also say I appreciate the perspective that these friends have, and over the years, I have sought out their unique perspective when making big decisions. When we were thinking about homeschooling our oldest, a six-year-old who absolutely loved her school, I talked to a lot of people to gather input about homeschooling and the changes it would mean for our family. With my friend whose child was permanently mentally & physically disabled as a preschooler, I talked about was it right to take away something my kid loved and that would be fine academically. For this friend’s child school would never be about academics, so I wanted to hear her thoughts on depriving my daughter of what made her happy. Years later, when my husband was declining rapidly when he was hospitalized, I called another friend to ask advice on how to know "when is it time to stop the medical intervention and say goodbye†since she had had to make a similar decision with her child.

I don't think any experience leads to one way of thinking/acting. While I definitely don’t believe that time heals all wounds, I have seen time change the way of thinking of my my friends. In one case, my friend was out of state when her child died in an accident. She said that she would never be able to leave her kids again, but after a few years, she changed her mind about that. It was not easy to change from something she felt so strongly about after the accident, but she felt it was the right thing to do at the later time.

*LC, on 04 Apr 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:snapback.png

I never would try to speak for my friends’ who went through these tragedies with their children. I was saying watching these losses happen to my close friends changed MY perspective on life and what was important to ME in MY life and for MY kids, who were preschool/toddler age at the time MY perspective changed.

I can also say I appreciate the perspective that these friends have, and over the years, I have sought out their unique perspective when making big decisions. When we were thinking about homeschooling our oldest, a six-year-old who absolutely loved her school, I talked to a lot of people to gather input about homeschooling and the changes it would mean for our family. With my friend whose child was permanently mentally & physically disabled as a preschooler, I talked about was it right to take away something my kid loved and that would be fine academically. For this friend’s child school would never be about academics, so I wanted to hear her thoughts on depriving my daughter of what made her happy. Years later, when my husband was declining rapidly when he was hospitalized, I called another friend to ask advice on how to know "when is it time to stop the medical intervention and say goodbye†since she had had to make a similar decision with her child.

I don't think any experience leads to one way of thinking/acting. While I definitely don’t believe that time heals all wounds, I have seen time change the way of thinking of my my friends. In one case, my friend was out of state when her child died in an accident. She said that she would never be able to leave her kids again, but after a few years, she changed her mind about that. It was not easy to change from something she felt so strongly about after the accident, but she felt it was the right thing to do at the later time.

Thank you for clarifying that it was your perspective that changed, and your post was describing how those circumstances changed you. From both a personal and professional perspective, I was concerned with the impression I had when I first read your post. My post was just to clarify that others have been in the same circumstances and felt differently, so no one should feel guilty or uncomfortable with her own concerns or difficulties with college decisions.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I did want to acknowledge your post and share my perspective.