Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hsbeth

Class of 2014 college acceptances

This summer when I called and spoke with an admissions officer, I wasn't sure it was worth his applying since they required outside validation for a humanities course which he didn't have and wouldn't have had by Nov 1 which is when you had to apply in order to qualify for scholarships.

Right before the CA came online, I noticed that they were now posting what were requirements as recommendations. So, ds simply submitted the CA.

Here is what College Confidential is reporting as the stats (I don't know where they got them.)

EA admit rate: 40% (Avg. SAT= 1485/2193 w/ 9+ AP/IB/College courses by graduation). Defer 24%, Deny 32%. (5% closed/ incomplete) ‪#‎gojackets‬

These stats came from GA Tech itself.  They sent an email to their current students with the same info.  My daughter is doing DE there and gets the emails and was just reading this to me.  I was thinking, "Where did I see that before?"  So in case anyone cares, these are reliable numbers.  She also says that, historically, a big chunk of GA Tech's total admissions comes through EA.  I don't know where that comes from--her head, possibly.

These stats came from GA Tech itself. They sent an email to their current students with the same info. My daughter is doing DE there and gets the emails and was just reading this to me. I was thinking, "Where did I see that before?" So in case anyone cares, these are reliable numbers. She also says that, historically, a big chunk of GA Tech's total admissions comes through EA. I don't know where that comes from--her head, possibly.

Yes, I later learned that they had posted them on their Facebook page and that the avg ACT score was a 32. I think your dd is right re RD but I don't remember where I read it.

Ds got his acceptance letter from Belmont University today - I'm surprised it came so quicky after all the fuss of getting the supplemental materials in. Now he just has to finish preparing for his audition and get his composition portfolio together.

His teacher mentioned applying to the IU Jacobs School of Music again today. Ds was interested initially (months ago), then he wasn't really, now it's a "maybe - is it too late?" Technically he's missed the deadlines, but I told him he could still apply and see if they have space to consider him.

My son's going to college!  We got our first letter from our list of hopefuls.....and my son has been accepted to Ithaca College and to their Division III crew team!  Now I can breathe a sigh of relief and I can enjoy reading these posts again ....................now the fun of more (!) acceptances and then the await of the much needed, yet dreaded financial packages that will enable us to make the final college choice.  But for right now......... Imagine me grabbing my son and doing a happy dance all around the kitchen floor! 

Myra

Ds has an acceptance to CU, Boulder, in engineering, with some $$, Compared to Mines, CU will be more affordable, but ds still likes Mines better. He likes the smaller town and school. The BIG news is that he now has two nominations to Air Force Academy and one to USNA. So, we wait again.

I spoke to Navy girl the other day and we were remembering her year of academy stuff. She DOES remember how lucky she was to have 2 Appointments at Christmas time. Wish they gave out LOAs (early admit) now as many as they did back then. :laugh:

I haven't been around much for the last year (or two, I guess...) but thought I'd jump onto this.  My oldest 2 are both graduating this year & so far have 4 acceptances at rolling admissions schools with merit aid at all of them.  The first one to arrive was such a relief!   Now we're waiting on RD for 5 more,  Congratulations to all that have been accepted already! 

sidenote: Susan in Tn  - my oldest dd has applied to Belmont & has an audition scheduled for Feb 8., also for the composition major.  If your son happens to be there on the Feb 8th date maybe they'll meet!  Glad he got his acceptance.  She hasn't yet, although her audition is confirmed :confused1: .

sidenote: Susan in Tn - my oldest dd has applied to Belmont & has an audition scheduled for Feb 8., also for the composition major. If your son happens to be there on the Feb 8th date maybe they'll meet! Glad he got his acceptance. She hasn't yet, although her audition is confirmed :confused1: .

Well rats - ds's audition is January 25th. What is your dd's instrument/voice? Ds is auditioning on double bass. I was a bit worried about getting an acceptance notice (or not) since his only available audition date is the 25th, but he finally got his letter last week. I think it can take quite a while - bah.

Ds received his acceptance today to Florida Institute of Technology.  He applied 9/19.  They have rolling admissions.  They downloaded his common app 12/18.  It took FOREVER.

Last week, we received notice from them that all but 3 of his CC classes would transfer.  I was like :confused1: he hasn't even been accepted yet.

Please don't quote the rest of this message.  I will probably be embarrassed by it and remove it in the morning.

To admit what kind of a cranky peri-menopausal woman I am, on the attendance confirmation form, where they ask why you will not be attending FIT, I'm considering writing "The basketball coach never expressed an interest even though ds contacted him multiple times.  CO..Mines is better both academically and athletically."  Mines is ranked #11 for NCAA D2 basketball.  FIT is not in the top 25.  Na na na na boo boo.

ETA:

Okay, "terrific academic and athletic fit" instead.  Na na na na boo boo.

I don't know why I am grouchy.  That's 3 for 3.  100% positive.  Easier than I thought.  No angst in the decision.  Happy Dance.

You could always phrase it more positively: "He's headed to Mines because it was a better academic fit. He felt very welcomed by the bb coach there and is excited to be a part of their program." Na na na na boo boo...

According to CC, GT has released its OOS Provost scholarship info. Since ds didn't receive an email, it looks like another option has been eliminated amg his options unless he wins one of the outside scholarships he applied for.

The decision may end being made for him vs his ever making a decision.

According to CC, GT has released its OOS Provost scholarship info. Since ds didn't receive an email, it looks like another option has been eliminated amg his options unless he wins one of the outside scholarships he applied for.

I'm sorry the finances are getting in the way of his options. I'm very worried about the same kind of thing happening to my son. I'm sure it's hard on both of you.

Wishing him better luck from here on!

youngest has been accepted at 
West Chester in PA

George Mason in VA
and Queens in Charlotte, NC 

we have a scholarship weekend for Queens coming up.  should be fun.

he is also hoping to swim in college

Sorry to hear that!

However, I'm also a firm believer that things happen for a reason... and, if I'm recalling correctly, his safety is UA (?) which is definitely NOT a bad safety to have.  Then too, the vast majority of students who head off to school end up liking where they go (as long as they judged fit correctly and don't have high debt), even if it wasn't originally their top choice (BTDT myself).

Even so... :grouphug:  as it's still a bummer when these things happen.

Thanks for the kind words.   Really, ds is absolutely fine with everything.    He is perfectly ready to attend UA if that is how things end up.   He really liked the dean of the physics dept a lot.   He still has more scholarship info from a couple of other schools that he doesn't know about, as well as some independent scholarships.    The stressed person really is me.

My oldest got her acceptance to Belmont yesterday!  Now we wait to see about the aid....and audition....

My dd17 received her acceptance to the University of Arizona Honors College with a nice scholarship, so I think her decision is made.

I'm very happy to have this over with. I had to go through the process 2 years in a row. Now, I get a 3 year break.

Congratulations to everyone on all of the acceptances!

Thought I'd add a few acceptances to the list:

Concordia University Irvine-Merit aid $12,500 per year; still waiting on forensics scholarship.

Pacific University Oregon-Merit aid $19,000 per year; still waiting on forensics scholarship.

Patrick Henry College-Merit aid $8,000 per year; still waiting on forensics scholarship.

The rest we won't know until late March/early April. She has about 10 other apps out.

We've got:

U of Evansville

U of Illinois

Purdue

U of Kansas

TCU

Audition for Evansville this weekend.  I should be packing instead of messing around here, but I'm all about procrastination.

We're having a hard time pinning U of Illinois down about auditions -- she's been accepted to their school of engineering, and they're having a hard time comprehending that she also wants to audition.  She talked to the dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts about this months ago, but they keep dropping the ball.  That makes Evansville look better by contrast -- they're much more laid back about the double major.  

DS has heard from 4 of his 6 schools, all that are on rolling admissions. The schools he's been accepted to are University of Kentucky, West Virginia University, Murray State U and Jacksonville State U and he's waiting to hear from Ohio State University. He still needs to fill out the application for University of Memphis. :blink:  The common thread running through these schools is that they each have a rifle team and each has expressed interest in DS joining their team. This entire college recruiting process still seems surreal to me since this wasn't even on our radar 15 months ago.

Besides visiting schools, meeting rifle team members and talking with coaches we're hunting scholarship money too, oh, and trying to stay current on school work. :lol:  

DS was supposed to hear from Ohio State U by December 15th however they informed him that they were having difficulty downloading information from the Common AP so decisions were being delayed until the end of January. What a sad day that was especially since DS heard from 2 of his friends that they received acceptance emails.

Finally tonight we heard from Ohio State University and DS was accepted!!  :party:

We are doing a huge happy dance here. It is his #1 choice. He really enjoyed being with the rifle team, the coach, likes the campus and the business college, and he said it felt like the right place to him. I noticed on our visit in November that he really seemed relaxed and quite at peace while we walked the campus. I'm a graduate of OSU and with family in the area it is a good fit for him. Now for the National Buckeye Merit Scholarship to come through for him too.

BTW, after looking closer at U of Memphis DS decided not to apply to the school. I've schooled two boys, we've sent out 14 college applications and received 14 college acceptances. :thumbup1:  

My son got his official acceptance notice from Oklahoma City University today, along with a smallish merit scholarship. As with many other schools on his list, this is just the first step. He still has to audition for acceptance to the program of his choice. But, still, it's nice to see those big envelopes with their glossy brochures and letters that begin with "Congratulations."

He also received an e-mail inviting him to audition for the theatre program at Wagner College, which may or may not mean anything. Their official notification date isn't until early February, and the audition date is in March. So, the process seems a little odd.

DD just found out that she got accepted to University of Virginia.

You have NO IDEA how difficult it was for me to hit the "Like" button on that one considering both hubby and I graduated from their rival... ;)

But nonetheless, congratulations... I think... ;)

You have NO IDEA how difficult it was for me to hit the "Like" button on that one considering both hubby and I graduated from their rival..

Which school is that?

(And thanks)

Which school is that?

(And thanks)

Virginia Tech... a pretty big engineering powerhouse, but the rivalry, of course, is mainly sports related.

Which school is UA? Sorry...

Depending upon context, the two schools I know about can be University of Alabama or University of Arizona.  When I used it not long ago I was referring to Alabama - a school that is well known for really working at improving their rankings and "prestige" by improving programs and offering great merit aid to high stat students regardless of whether they are in state or not.

We're still waiting.....

But I got a strange email from one school that she applied to saying "Welcome to the ***** family. We look forward to seeing your son or daughter on campus in August." Huh?

It must have been sent by accident -- it looks like the letter the college would send to the parents of accepted ED applicants, but she didn't apply ED to the school, and ED applicants would have heard about a month ago. (This school does NOT have rolling admission.)

And so we wait.....and wait.....and wait.

We're still waiting.....

But I got a strange email from one school that she applied to saying "Welcome to the ***** family. We look forward to seeing your son or daughter on campus in August." Huh?

It must have been sent by accident -- it looks like the letter the college would send to the parents of accepted ED applicants, but she didn't apply ED to the school, and ED applicants would have heard about a month ago. (This school does NOT have rolling admission.)

I'd contact the college, if I were you.

L

Okay Blue Hen, just to show you how friendly and tolerant Michigan State fans can be, I am extending my congratulations to you and your son concerning the acceptance to OSU! :D  ;)

Okay Blue Hen, just to show you how friendly and tolerant Michigan State fans can be, I am extending my congratulations to you and your son concerning the acceptance to OSU! :D  ;)

Ahhhhh, thank you FaithManor. I know how difficult that is to do.  I will admit that I rooted for MSU in the Rose Bowl. 

OSU is the only Big 10 School with a rifle team that DS could join.

Ahhhhh, thank you FaithManor. I know how difficult that is to do.  I will admit that I rooted for MSU in the Rose Bowl. 

OSU is the only Big 10 School with a rifle team that DS could join.

We will gladly give you a pass for extenuating circumstances! :biggrinjester:

So far dd has been accepted to:

Georgia Gwinnett College (attending as a dual enrolled student since Jr. Year and will become an advanced freshman)

Oglethorpe U

Roanoke College (so far offered 1/2 tuition, and invited back for Scholars Weekend)

Drexel U

Penn State

Berry College

Georgia Southern

Waiting to hear from:

Hampton U

I'd appreciate any info about these colleges.  She's visited a few, but not all.  We'd like to hear about experiences, alumni or anything else someone may know about these schools.

Thanks,

Ava

Drexel U

Waiting to hear from:

Penn State

Berry College

Georgia Southern

Hampton U

I'd appreciate any info about these colleges.  She's visited a few, but not all.  We'd like to hear about experiences, alumni or anything else someone may know about these schools.

Thanks,

Ava

Couple of things:

Is your daughter a NMF?  Drexel offers a bunch of automatic merit aid for that.

Penn State is notoriously stingy with merit aid (think "$2,000/year for top OOS," which is nothing compared to the price tag.

Berry is lovely!  Shocking, I know.  So glad I could be of help. 

She's not a NMF; that would certainly help open some doors. 

I've heard that about Penn State.  It's dh alma mater and her top choice (particularly the marching band), but she'll need to seek other sources for scholarships.

I like Berry too! We are planning a visit soon.  I think once she talks to some students and tours the campus, she's gonna love it.

Thank you for the imput. :001_smile:

Calvin has a conditional offer (conditional on his grades in his high school exams) from the final university that he applied to, so that's an offer from each one.  Unfortunately, the latest offer is almost as high as Oxford's so no use as a safety.  The final tally is: Oxford (demanding); Durham (almost as demanding); York, Exeter and Warwick (equal offers - still fairly high).

He starts his mock (practice) exams tomorrow.  He then has two months more of classes, followed by a month of pure revision (review) and into the final exams in May.

L

Dd applied to ten schools.

She was accepted to Kettering University, a financial safety that doesn't offer what she wants exactly (she has scholarships there.)

She was invited to Olin's Candidates' Weekend today.

That's all the news we have so far.

We're still waiting.....

We got one like that from Cornell College, which my daughter did not even apply to. Later, they sent an "opps! sorry" letter.

My youngest son pushed the "ACCEPT" button at Ohio State University yesterday morning. Exciting.  We don't know if he has any merit aid from there yet but we're going forward.  He will also be signing his National Letter of Intent in April with OSU to join their Division 1 Rifle team. He'll have an athletic scholarship which will cover a little bit. :hurray:

My oldest son called me this morning--he's graduating this spring and applied to 6 grad schools in mid-December to mid-January---and shared that he received an email from a professor at UC Davis, one of his 2 stretch grad schools. The email stated that the prof was quite impressed with DS' accomplishments and would be recommending that Admissions accept him! He plans to pursue a PhD in Computer Science.  WAHOO!!!   Waiting to hear from the other 5. :hurray:

Carole

This thread really is inspiring and should be a "must read" to anyone considering homeschooling and wondering what potential academic outcomes it could lead to.

Just my two cents in the morning.

Congrats to all who have received acceptances!  I love the variety of niches our youngsters are choosing...

And Kudos to all who helped get them there!

Ditto to what Creekland said!  And for all the students and their supporters ...

:hurray:  :party: :hurray: :party: :hurray:  :party: :hurray: