Menu

Class of 2014 college acceptances

hsbeth

I just posted in the other thread (the list), but I'll post here, too ... my son just heard he's in the running for a Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship at UC Berkeley! Later in the email it confirms that this means that he's ... accepted!!! Whew! He'll get the official admissions offer in *late March* (March 28th), but it's SO nice to know now. Yay!

(my parents met at Cal, and my brother got his PhD there, etc. Not sure my son will end up there, but it's definitely a wonderful option! Yay! SOOOO excited here! and my dad has been subtly and not-so-subtly pressuring my son to apply, so my dad is, as he puts it, "tickled pink" :D)

ETA: GO BEARS! LOL

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just posted in the other thread (the list), but I'll post here, too ... my son just heard he's in the running for a Regents' and Chancellor's Scholarship at UC Berkeley! Later in the email it confirms that this means that he's ... accepted!!! Whew! He'll get the official admissions offer in *late March* (March 28th), but it's SO nice to know now. Yay!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:  Wonderful, Laura & son!! SO excited to hear this!!

ETA: GO BEARS! LOL

You mean: Give them the axe! :tongue_smilie: :laugh: :lol:

Thank you, Laura Corin and Handmaiden! :seeya:  I'm so glad -- and relieved -- my son has choices now   :)

What's a bit weird (now that the shock of Berkeley acceptance has worn off, haha) is that he hasn't heard from UCLA Regents or UCI honors. I know UCLA has become more selective than Berkeley lately (100,000 applications last year (!) for freshman/transfer admission, according to NYT), but I would have thought UCI would offer him honors ... ??? We just heard that UCI wants IDOC-type stuff ASAP, so I guess that means acceptance to Irvine ... That reminds me, I am totally wasting time here -- I need to mail the IDOC stuff *today* ... we had some problems with our taxes getting submitted, and then I somehow thought the IDOC paperwork would all be done online -- but no, it has to be mailed  :eek:  :willy_nilly:    :auto:

oh, and then do the UCI stuff ... and I assume, being UC, they don't use IDOC ...  :glare:

Seriously, I (naïvely) thought I'd be "done" Jan. 1st and be eating bonbons now ...  :coolgleamA:

• 3 weeks later...

Ds received an e-mail accepting him to the University of Denver this afternoon! The e-mail indicated that admit packages, which will contain any merit scholarships, will be mailed at the end of the week.

When I update the list, am I suppoed to quote? I think that's how I get the bold to remain as I carry it forward???

Ds received an e-mail accepting him to the University of Denver this afternoon! The e-mail indicated that admit packages, which will contain any merit scholarships, will be mailed at the end of the week.

When I update the list, am I suppoed to quote? I think that's how I get the bold to remain as I carry it forward???

I just did a copy-and-paste to update the list.

And, congratulations! :hurray:

Hoggirl, this is great news! I remember that our kids were both looking at similar schools with good IR programs. DU was one of dd's choices/acceptances. She would have LOVED to have gone there, as we are from Denver, and it would have been like going home for her. 

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to hearing what his final choice will be. 

(My dd is in her first year of college, but I have kept up with this thread because it's always so exciting to read!)

Well I was starting to panic a bit because dd drug feet to the last possible moment but has acceptance at 2:3 applied. Not sure if one is financially possible at all but I think it would be a good fit for her if some aid comes with it. But realizing her delay in applying also means she is pretty late with lots of scholarship applications too. There is a pretty good chance she will end up doing comm college for 2 years first but still bolstering confidence to get in at Guilford and Frostburg.

Heard from another school today -- dd2 was accepted to William & Mary as a Monroe Scholar! Two nice acceptances so far...

Now we are just waiting to hear from one last school!

Gwen!!!!  That is really remarkable and says so very much about your dd and your homeschooling efforts!!!  Congratulations!!!  I know this isn't a thread about being impressed, but I *am* really impressed! 

I didn't know exactly what a "Monroe Scholar" is, so I googled.  That's the top 7% of undergrads at what is arguably the top public school in Virginia.

Oldest daughter was accepted to Rensselaer as well.  She applied before she visited, then had an awful visit, so it's off her list  (it would probably have been off due to the financials anyway).   Still nice to have another acceptance! The fight song was a cute touch, I thought.

Oldest daughter was accepted to Rensselaer as well.  She applied before she visited, then had an awful visit, so it's off her list  (it would probably have been off due to the financials anyway).   Still nice to have another acceptance! The fight song was a cute touch, I thought.

My son was at the youth group winter camp this weekend, but he just checked and he's also accepted at RPI! No merit scholarship (yet?), I think b/c we had made a mistake on the CSS/Profile (which luckily RPI asked us about a week ago, and we quickly told all the other schools), making it look like we had $800,000 (!) in dividend interest last year.

ETA: I suppose this wouldn't affect *merit* scholarships, so either his stats didn't impress them, or they are waiting for our correction to go through before making their whole aid package.

ETA (again): he did get a nice merit scholarship, so I guess it was the latter scenario :)

Jen, we're curious why your daughter had an awful visit. If you wouldn't mind sharing, we'd love to hear.

My son is probably not going to RPI either, but more because of distance, $$$, etc. He just grew up hearing about it (I was born in Troy; my dad was in grad school at RPI then), and was intrigued, but we haven't visited.

Congratulations to everyone so far!

Laura - no I don't mind.  Here's what happened:  Daughter was interested in a specific program related to music for video games, etc. that she had researched & seemed like it might be a good fit.  When we got there, the girl from admissions knew nothing about it & didn't offer to find anyone who did.  She then went on a 45 minute spiel about their engineering program, which my daughter had specificallly said she was not interested in. The admissions girl also hadn't gone to RPI herself- she had just graduated from another school in Troy (can't remember which one).

We then went on the tour, given by an awkward grad student who just started walking away from us without talking until we got into the first dorm.  He also knew nothing about the program she was interested in ( I believe he actually said :Do we even have that here?"). 

As we were on the tour, none of the students were smiling.  I mean, not one!  And then in the cafeteria, one of the students walking by leaned over and said "Don't come here!" to us. :ohmy:

All of this happened the day after a visit to Cornell that couldn't have been more different, so she was really disappointed in RPI.  She also wasn't particularly fond of the campus.

She had no contact with them after the visit, which was in November.  They gave her a $14,000 merit scholarship, but no grant aid or anything b/c we never added them to our FAFSA/Profile list. 

Overall, just not a fit for her.  For someone just looking for engineering, it would probably be fine.

About RPI - Living in Mass., we know something various people who have gone there.  We have a friend who just graduated and loved it.  His father was very pleased with the academic support offered.  The financial aid is good.  (They offered youngest a nice scholarship.)  I believe that non-coding video game major is brand new, so I am not surprised nobody knew about it.  There is a nice gaming group there.  The general opinion seems to be that the campus is fine, up on its hill with everything one needs and all, but down in Troy is much less fine.  I wouldn't really be surprised if a techie school is less out-going and friendly-seeming than a school with a more mixed student population, but it sounds like a dreadful visit!  Maybe Jen's daughter caught them on a particularly dreary winter day with exams coming, but yikes!

Nan

Thanks, Jen and Nan, for your opinions. Jen, what a terrible visit! It's worse than what I was imagining ...

My son only applied for sentimental reasons (family association), and I think b/c he thought the name "Rensselaer" (and the other Dutch influences) was cool and different :D

I think they just aren't there yet with the sound design concentration in their EMAC department.  The thing that made it worse to me was that they knew we were coming - it wasn't just a random spur of the moment kind of drop-in.  Everything I've heard about it supports the idea that it is a really good school, though.

My husband bought one of their hats (with the mathematical formulas for R P I).

Gwen, I have to say that I'm also impressed with the Mary & Williams acceptance.  My youngest son's physics professor received his degree from W&M.  In the course of the semester, ds has talked with this professor a bit.  The physics course is considered one of the very hardest at this school, in fact, the Honors students, according to my son, avoid it and try to take physics at the CC in the nearby town.  My son got curious about this professor and spent some time researching W & M.  He was mightily impressed!  In fact, he cannot figure out why this professor is here in OK lol.  Ds and professor had a good chat a while back when ds was one of 2 students to show up to class (weather related).  The professor told him all about W & M and the interviews for admission, etc.  Anyway my ds thinks this professor is the most amazing guy :)

Ds finally got a letter from Belmont's School of Music - he has been accepted into their composition program with double bass as his primary instrument.  :)   He wants to visit again and meet the bass and composition professors and maybe attend a class or two.  

Well rats.  We may just have to forget about this.  He got another letter from the school of music today saying they are not offering him a music scholarship.  We still have to see what the financial aid office comes up with, but we are not expecting anything that would make attendance possible.

Well rats.  We may just have to forget about this.  He got another letter from the school of music today saying they are not offering him a music scholarship.  We still have to see what the financial aid office comes up with, but we are not expecting anything that would make attendance possible.

How very frustrating for your son.  I hope for a favorable outcome if not at Belmont then elsewhere.

Regards,

Kareni

That's frustrating.  Hopefully something will work out financially.  Best wishes!

Thanks everyone!!   I am so glad that the holding of breath is over!!   Now I feel like I can move on to my regularly scheduled life w/o feeling distracted all the time.   I feel like this yr I have developed my own version of ADD (or a most horrid version of parental senior-worry-itis!!)

Regentrude, tell your dd congrats!   I know that you all must be feeling the same sense of relief!!  :)  

Major celebrations here!!   Ds was just notified that he was one of the 40 students selected into the research honors program!!  

Can you tell us more about the program? I can guess the idea from your post, but do have any details? Do the students have assigned research mentors and extra opportunities? Is this a subset of the honors program he got into? Or something additional?

Sorry, just curious.  :o

And congrats!

Can you tell us more about the program? I can guess the idea from your post, but do have any details? Do the students have assigned research mentors and extra opportunities? Is this a subset of the honors program he got into? Or something additional?

Sorry, just curious. :o

And congrats!

Sure!

It is a separate program within the honors college. The selected students are each paired directly with leading research professors in the field of study that the student selects. The program funds the students' research, provides them access to what they need to conduct it, and teaches them them the computer skills required for compiling, analyzing, and publishing their research.

This select honors group has a separate "school" within the university with its own study areas, student computers, and lounge. The program also provides a minor and covers all the credit hrs required to graduate from the honors college.

In 2013, students participating in this program were selected as Hollings Scholars, Goldwater Scholars, a Mitchell Scholar, a Truman Scholar and a Rhodes Scholar finalist.

Eta: Ds just came in and I asked him if I had given an accurate description. He said not good enough. He said the program has the entire 1st floor of the honors college, its own lecture hall, its own 3d printer with scanner (he loves that!) He said that the researchers that the students pair up with individually are top researchers in their field......let's just say ds is very enthusiastic! :)

Eta: Ds just came in and I asked him if I had given an accurate description. He said not good enough. He said the program has the entire 1st floor of the honors college, its own lecture hall, its own 3d printer with scanner (he loves that!) He said that the researchers that the students pair up with individually are top researchers in their field......let's just say ds is very enthusiastic! :)

I'm glad I asked...this just sounds so fantastic!  :hurray:

Forgive me, if this is a duplicate post. My computer is misbehaving. :)

So far, we've been accepted to:

Morehouse College (GA) monies pending

Nova Southeastern University (FL) - Dean's Scholarship

Florida International University

Stetson University (FL) Dean's Scholarship

Hofstra University (NY) Dean's Scholarship

Villanova

We're still waiting on:

UCONN

St. John's