Menu

Quirky regional driving habits (s/o)

Greta

The other thread about the strange use of a turn signal made me think about some of the weird local driving habits that I've witnessed in the three different regions of the country where I've lived, ranging from confusing to outright dangerous.

I grew up in a small town in OK, and for reasons I still don't understand, people do not go immediately when the light turns green.  They sit and contemplate it for a few moments.  Not dangerous at all, but a little frustrating if you're in a hurry! 

I then moved to upstate NY, Duchess county, and I've never been so scared of driving.  People there seemed to think of turn lanes as mere suggestions.  Every time that I made the three mile drive from my apartment to my job, I would see someone go straight out of a turn lane, turn out of a straight lane, or my personal favorite:  make a right turn out of the left-turn lane!!!  No one in that county ever seemed to use a turn signal, which is one thing, but to not use the turn lanes?!?  It was very frightening, because you never knew what the other drivers were going to do.

When I moved here to New Mexico, the first weird thing I noticed was that if people are planning to turn right a few miles down the road, even if it's a six lane road, everyone lines up in the right lane (yes, literally miles in advance of where they want to turn).  It's a common sight here that two lanes will be completely empty, but the third one backed up for miles.  Again, not dangerous but weird!

Another thing I've noticed a lot more of lately is people stopping 20 - 30 feet short of the intersection itself, or stopping 30 - 50 feet behind the car in front of them at an intersection.  WHY?  :confused:   Again, not dangerous, but confusing.  What's the point in doing this?

So, what funny inexplicable driving habits do people have where you live?

Here people drive like lemmings. Like how your people line up for miles to get off the freeway. I just scoot around everyone or take a parallel road and get there faster.

There is one particular left turn in town that makes me nuts. It is a four lane road. If people are not making the left at the particular intersection they will not change lanes. They potentially get stuck in that lane for up to 3 minutes when traffic is heavy. Yet traffic is slipping by them on the right hand lane as people who learned to move over before getting there drive by.

It is like they get in a lane and refuse to move come hell or high water.

People here get on to the freeway without getting up to speed. Then, while still driving 15 miles under the speed limit, they slide all the way over to the fast lane, cutting off/slowing down all lanes of traffic.  It drives me absolutely crazy. 

Yeah, that would drive me pretty crazy too, and is potentially dangerous, not merely confusing/annoying. 

Here people drive like lemmings.

:lol:   That sums it up nicely!

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia.  It can be very hard to make a left turn at some intersections, because there is no left turn lane (no room for one on some of the narrow roads here) and there's a lot of traffic.

So I've discovered that sometimes as I'm waiting to make a left turn someone will just stop to let me go.  It can be either the car in the lane opposing, just stopping at a green light in the intersection to let me make my turn, or, if I'm at a T-intersection and the traffic is moving "across" my lane, stopping to let me go.  And then the person gets mad when I have NO IDEA why they stopped and can't turn anyway because the people in the lanes next to them aren't stopping. 

I doubt I explained that well.

But then there are the people who pass on the right to get through an intersection when a car in front of them is waiting to make a left turn, making left turns not just confusing but also treacherous.

I doubt I explained that well either.

Let me just say I feel badly for my kids learning to drive around here.  Or, maybe because it's so weird, every place else will be easier.

When we lived in PA everyone drove like maniacs--and this was 25 years ago! The big thing there was to drive on the shoulder. So at a red light when cars are lined up someone would drive up to the front in the shoulder lane. When the light turned green they'd speed ahead so they could be at the front of the line. I seriously thought we'd be in a horrible car accident while we lived there.

MS--people turn their blinker on if the person in front of them is turning. *They* aren't turning, they just wanted to let you know that *someone* is turning. So it really throws you off when the person in front of you has their blinker on and they end up going straight.

Here in GA--at least in our area--there is a Yield sign at nearly every corner. So right on green must yield to left on green (no arrows) according to the patrolman dh asked about this. Which means that even at intersections where there is no Yield sign people making a left on green think they have the right of way and don't bother to see if an oncoming car is turning right; they just go. I'm surprised there aren't a lot more accidents around here.

You did explain it well.  At least I think I understood it, I was able to visualize what you meant.  And I know what you mean - if another driver does something unexpected, even if it was intended well, it can end up creating problems rather than solving them.

In your situation I might be tempted to plan my route in order to avoid left turns, even if it meant having to drive farther and less directly!

Let me just say I feel badly for my kids learning to drive around here.  Or, maybe because it's so weird, every place else will be easier.

I think that there actually are advantages to learning to drive in crowded, hectic situations.  Like I said, I grew up in small town OK, so compared to that, practically everything feels like heavy traffic, and practically everyone seems like an aggressive driver to me. 

When we lived in PA everyone drove like maniacs--and this was 25 years ago! The big thing there was to drive on the shoulder. So at a red light when cars are lined up someone would drive up to the front in the shoulder lane. When the light turned green they'd speed ahead so they could be at the front of the line. I seriously thought we'd be in a horrible car accident while we lived there.

This is scary.

MS--people turn their blinker on if the person in front of them is turning. *They* aren't turning, they just wanted to let you know that *someone* is turning. So it really throws you off when the person in front of you has their blinker on and they end up going straight.

This is funny.

Here in GA--at least in our area--there is a Yield sign at nearly every corner. So right on green must yield to left on green (no arrows) according to the patrolman dh asked about this. Which means that even at intersections where there is no Yield sign people making a left on green think they have the right of way and don't bother to see if an oncoming car is turning right; they just go. I'm surprised there aren't a lot more accidents around here.

This is confusing.  I would think that would be really dangerous for people new to that area, and for people who move from that area to others where that is not the convention (which is pretty much everywhere else, right?  I've never heard of this, and I think my risk of getting into an accident would be pretty high there.)

I always pause when the light turns green to be sure no one is running a red light. In the next town over, almost without fail, someone (or multiple cars) run the red light. 

Oh, yes, I can definitely understand that if there's a high risk of someone running the red light.  Where I grew up that was not the case, so it just seemed pointless.

People here go crazy to get into the median to make a left turn across several lanes. At least once a week I end up having someone follow me to the median and then they block my view so they end up going ahead of me. About once a month you get the crazy driver who passes the one or two in the median and zooms around all the cars and in front of traffic.

I don't think anyone actually stops at the stop signs in our neighborhood (except us) - not even the police. It drives me crazy!

I also get honked at a lot when lights turn green. I just ignore them. We have a very large intersection near our home and there have been so many accidents (one a fatality) because it is so large and people run through the yellow at the last minute or run a red. I always wait and check.

Everyone just seems to be in such a hurry.

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia.  It can be very hard to make a left turn at some intersections, because there is no left turn lane (no room for one on some of the narrow roads here) and there's a lot of traffic.

So I've discovered that sometimes as I'm waiting to make a left turn someone will just stop to let me go.  It can be either the car in the lane opposing, just stopping at a green light in the intersection to let me make my turn, or, if I'm at a T-intersection and the traffic is moving "across" my lane, stopping to let me go.  And then the person gets mad when I have NO IDEA why they stopped and can't turn anyway because the people in the lanes next to them aren't stopping. 

When people do this near me (northwestern suburbs of Philly) they usually will flash their high beams to let me know that I can go.

When we lived in PA everyone drove like maniacs--and this was 25 years ago!

Huh. I don't feel like people drive like maniacs here. Maybe I'm one of them?  :ohmy:  Or maybe it's because I learned to drive here.

Huh. I don't feel like people drive like maniacs here. Maybe I'm one of them?  :ohmy:  Or maybe it's because I learned to drive here.

We were in the Levittown area. Maybe it was particular to that area for that time--late 80's. During the short time we lived there a kid got killed riding his bike at night (going home from work) down the turning lane of a 5-lane road. He was hit by a car going 80 as it tried to pass the cars in the main two lanes by driving in the turning lane. It was horrible. :crying:

Another thing I've noticed a lot more of lately is people stopping 20 - 30 feet short of the intersection itself, or stopping 30 - 50 feet behind the car in front of them at an intersection.  WHY?  :confused:   Again, not dangerous, but confusing.  What's the point in doing this?

Here, too--what the heck is that about? and doing that can actually keep someone who's behind the car that has left space for the phantom vehicle from making it through the light, so it isn't as if it's a quirk that doesn't affect anyone, KWIM?

We were in the Levittown area. Maybe it was particular to that area for that time--late 80's. During the short time we lived there a kid got killed riding his bike at night (going home from work) down the turning lane of a 5-lane road. He was hit by a car going 80 as it tried to pass the cars in the main two lanes by driving in the turning lane. It was horrible. :crying:

Oh, that's so sad. Eighty? Wow.  I grew up in Bucks County, but I think Levittown has its own specialness.

Maybe driving down the Boulevard in NE Philly to see my grandparents inured me to rotten traffic patterns and crazy drivers.

I know exactly what you mean. Here, at a crossroads with a stop sign, people often think if they are turning left and got there first, they have the right of way (which is basically what is being offered to you). Then they get mad and honk at me for driving across as soon as traffic clears!! Like it's the same as a 4 way stop or something. It's not.

Traffic crossing or turning right has the right of way no matter how long the person turning left has been sitting there. If someone offers me the right of way when it isn't mine, I refuse to turn. Just follow the *&mn rules of the road. It's not that complicated. Left turns NEVER have the right of way unless they are at an intersection with a green left arrow or it's their turn at a 4 way stop.

I'm in OR, and my mother (lives half the year in VA) and my dear friend from CA have both remarked on how polite drivers are here. For example, they've both mentioned how nice it is that if we notice a car signaling to change into our lane, we'll slow down a touch and wave them over. Or drivers who are familiar with the area will slow down or switch lanes at a few challenging rush hour spots to allow waiting traffic to enter the road. We figure we know what it's like to wait at that spot, so we try to help the drivers who get backed up there. :)

Most of our exchange students have mentioned this too, that drivers here are very orderly and friendly. (Of course I'm usually the only one they actually get in a car with, but I don't think I'm an unusually polite driver.)

Cat

I'm in OR, and my mother (lives half the year in VA) and my dear friend from CA have both remarked on how polite drivers are here. For example, they've both mentioned how nice it is that if we notice a car signaling to change into our lane, we'll slow down a touch and wave them over. Or drivers who are familiar with the area will slow down or switch lanes at a few challenging rush hour spots to allow waiting traffic to enter the road. We figure we know what it's like to wait at that spot, so we try to help the drivers who get backed up there. :)

I lived in Oregon for 9 years and love that state dearly.  I mostly agree about the drivers.

I do remember feeling that during the first few weeks we lived there and still had California plates on our cars, people seemed a little... not polite.  I think I noticed it and then noticed after we got new plates how nice drivers there were.  Of course it's an old cliche about Oregonians disliking transplants from their southern neighbor.  It did have a bit of truth in it. 

I live in Atlanta, and the worst problem here, in my opinion, is that people drive two speeds:  Snail, or Bat Out of Hell.  The two don't mix well.

When I lived in Miami, there was no concept of merging onto a highway.  People would just come up the ramp and go directly onto the highway.  They don't look.  They don't try to see if there are cars already there.  They just go into the lane as if they own it.  It's like reverse merging, where if you're already in the lane of traffic you better get the hell out of it or  you're going to get hit.  

The other thing they did there, more than any other place I've ever seen, is park in the fire lane at, say, the grocery store for example.  It didn't matter if the very first primo spot was open at the front, they would still just park in the first lane as if it belonged to them.  I swear this was the straw that broke this camel's back and why I finally left that town.

So, what funny inexplicable driving habits do people have where you live?

Here in my small town, people leave that much space at the intersection because there is only one light and no turn lanes, just one going in each direction, and semis, farm trucks hauling trailers, road equipment all need to turn and there is not enough room. If you pull up too close to the intersection and a semi is trying to turn right onto your street, then you have to back up, and so do all of the cars behind you to make enough room for them to make a turn.

Not exactly regional, but here in Jerusalem, the green lights blink three times before turning red. When the light is red and about to turn, it actually turns yellow to warn it's going to turn green. You better have your foot off the brake when it's yellow, or you get a Beeeep!! even before it's green!

No one EVER seems to run red lights, tho--prob b/c they know the other person is all revved up to cross the intersection AS SOON AS the lighht turns green!

They are maniacs when it comes to passing, too, even on curves.

Prayer life has never been better...:-)

Here in my small town, people leave that much space at the intersection because there is only one light and no turn lanes, just one going in each direction, and semis, farm trucks hauling trailers, road equipment all need to turn and there is not enough room. If you pull up too close to the intersection and a semi is trying to turn right onto your street, then you have to back up, and so do all of the cars behind you to make enough room for them to make a turn.

Ah, well, I certainly never would have thought to do that, but explained that way, it does make sense.  It doesn't really apply to the city traffic that I'm thinking of, though (at most of the intersections here there are four lanes, including the left turn lane, in each direction, and the intersections are quite large).  But maybe those who do it are from rural areas and the habit is just ingrained.

Although your explanation makes sense if you are the *first* one to the intersection, I see a lot of people who are further back leaving 40 feet between them and the car stopped in front of them.  That certainly accomplishes nothing. 

No one EVER seems to run red lights, tho--prob b/c they know the other person is all revved up to cross the intersection AS SOON AS the lighht turns green!

You know, I was thinking about this (well, the reverse of this) when others mentioned hesitating at green lights because of so many people running the red lights.  It seems like this could be a vicious cycle:  so many people run red lights that people hesitate to pull out when it turns green.  Therefore people know that they've got some leeway with the newly-turned-red lights, and are more likely to run them.  Therefore people get more hesitant about green lights.  Therefore....

People drive very fast here. I find it amusing & a bit disturbing that the highway traffic signs that give status updates often will say things like 'Exit such & such, 8 miles, travel time 5-6 minutes'. Going 8 miles in 5-6 minutes means you'd have to go higher than the posted speed limits to get there. And those are the DOT signs! I spent many years commuting on the highways here & have seen about everything on the road, I think. I've seen people pass cops (inch up, assess whether he looks like he's/she's out to stop speeders or not; if not, inch on by & then floor it -- all this taking place at very high speeds as I routinely saw cops driving about 80mph or so on the highways). People don't want to miss exits & will cross 4 to 7 lanes of traffic from the far left by making an immediate right. People who have missed an exit & pull off in the emergency lane & then drive about 60mph backward :svengo:  to get back to the exit. People pass on the left, the right, the middle, the emergency lanes, anywhere they can, just so long as not to slow down. It makes changing lanes a bit tricky because you need to look every direction before changing. 

YES!  I can't believe I forgot about the bolded.  This is not even uncommon.  Happens all the time.  All. The. Time. Insane.

I have to admit I'm one of the Bat Out of Hell drivers I referenced in my own post.  I have to be one or the other, so I'm that. But at least I know enough to just go to the next exit and turn around if I miss an exit.  These people make my life pass before my eyes on a regular basis.  

When I lived in Miami, there was no concept of merging onto a highway.  People would just come up the ramp and go directly onto the highway.  They don't look.  They don't try to see if there are cars already there.  They just go into the lane as if they own it.  It's like reverse merging, where if you're already in the lane of traffic you better get the hell out of it or  you're going to get hit.  

I've noticed this problem here as well, but actually not on the highway so much.  In an even WORSE place to do it.

There is this major street that's kind of on the eastern edge (residential area) of town where the speed limit is a little bit higher.  So a lot of people use it to commute to work.  But, being on the edge of town, it's also near some recreational areas, and there is an exercise trail that goes along it.  When you're turning right onto this street from one of the side streets, you just have a yield sign, (you get to bypass the stoplight) and you have a bit of a merging lane before you're into the traffic.  So people seem to take this to mean that when they're turning right onto this street, they basically own the street and don't have to slow down, look, merge, or anything.  And what makes this shocking to me is, like I said, there's an exercise trail that goes right along this street, and it is always quite busy with people walking their dogs, families with little kids out for a stroll, people running, cycling, etc..  The right-turning people are supposed to yield, not only to the cars, but to the pedestrians and cyclists.  But they don't.  They take that turn at top speed, and make everyone else, cars and pedestrians alike, get out of their way.  It is truly frightening.  We've seen more than one "car versus bicycle" accident on that street, and I really wish that the city would do something about it.  Changing those yield signs to stop signs, for example, might help at least some.  People seem to confuse "yield" for " you have the right of way!"  :scared:

YES!  I can't believe I forgot about the bolded.  This is not even uncommon.  Happens all the time.  All. The. Time. Insane.

I have to admit I'm one of the Bat Out of Hell drivers I referenced in my own post.  I have to be one or the other, so I'm that. But at least I know enough to just go to the next exit and turn around if I miss an exit.  These people make my life pass before my eyes on a regular basis.  

ani_tsk.gif Hey, I think I saw you blow by me yesterday! ;) :lol:

(Of course, I noticed you only because I was busy flying through the 'warm' color stoplight because the car in front of me made it through.... :tongue_smilie: )

The right-turning people are supposed to yield, not only to the cars, but to the pedestrians and cyclists.  But they don't.

That's a really good point. Here, drivers seem to have no concept of pedestrians or cyclists (except as impediments to traffic).

Another regional thing I've noticed -- in the metro Washington D.C. area, lane designations seem to be mere suggestions. People seem to 'float' among/between lanes constantly -- sort-of in one lane, sort-of in another, sort-of driving on the line between lanes.... It's strange (and makes me wish for concrete-reinforced doors while there).

Here, too--what the heck is that about? and doing that can actually keep someone who's behind the car that has left space for the phantom vehicle from making it through the light, so it isn't as if it's a quirk that doesn't affect anyone, KWIM?

Good point.  I had noticed that if someone is in the left-most of the going-straight lanes when they do this, they can actually block people from getting into the left turn lane.  (Did that make sense?)  And since the left turn lane gets the green light *first*, they could end up making them wait through two cycles of the light.

:blush:  Yeah, we definitely did that once.

Most of our exchange students have mentioned this too, that drivers here are very orderly and friendly. (Of course I'm usually the only one they actually get in a car with, but I don't think I'm an unusually polite driver.)

Cat

In Washington we're so polite we sometimes cause accidents!  You will stop at a 4 way stop and everyone is waving "You first"  "No you!"  "No you!"  And then everyone gives up and tries going at once.  Or I will be driving on a main arterial and someone ahead of me will stop to let someone turn onto the road from a side road, making all of us behind him slam on the brakes.  I'm exaggerating a tiny bit in that this doesn't happen all the time but enough to warrant some press on it!  http://newtoseattle.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/seattle-drivers-are-very-very-polite-but-are-they-any-good/

I live in TX and people here do the weirdest thing, if you come up behind someone, not even very fast or close, they fly off the road to let you pass. It is crazy! Usually no blinker or anything. You will often see people driving slowly on the shoulder as if it were a separate lane. It is kind of nice to not get stuck behind slow drivers though.

I live in TX and people here do the weirdest thing, if you come up behind someone, not even very fast or close, they fly off the road to let you pass. It is crazy! Usually no blinker or anything. You will often see people driving slowly on the shoulder as if it were a separate lane. It is kind of nice to not get stuck behind slow drivers though.

I do see this in rural TX and OK - mostly farmers driving big trucks/equipment that can't move that fast.  I do think it's polite of them, assuming it's safe to be on the shoulder at that particular time and place.  I've never seen drivers of regular cars and trucks do that, though.  Interesting.

Dallas traffic is another story, though.  Scary!

:blush:  Yeah, we definitely did that once.

Ah, well, I certainly never would have thought to do that, but explained that way, it does make sense.  It doesn't really apply to the city traffic that I'm thinking of, though (at most of the intersections here there are four lanes, including the left turn lane, in each direction, and the intersections are quite large).  But maybe those who do it are from rural areas and the habit is just ingrained.

Although your explanation makes sense if you are the *first* one to the intersection, I see a lot of people who are further back leaving 40 feet between them and the car stopped in front of them.  That certainly accomplishes nothing.

I understand how this doesn't apply to your area, but the reason we do it here is because we get behind Beaners and know what is going to happen next. ;-)

I have stopped short at intersections, but only if I could see a large vehicle about to turn - our roads are often narrow and articulated lorries have to turn wide.

L

That's a really good point. Here, drivers seem to have no concept of pedestrians or cyclists (except as impediments to traffic).

Unfortunately, the authorities here seem to see it that way as well. Drivers who are horrendously aggressive and negligent and kill cyclists (and I'm not just talking about accidents here, but entirely preventable incidents where the driver was breaking numerous laws) get nothing but a slap on the wrist. It's almost as if it's perfectly legal to kill someone, as long as you use your car to do it. :'-(

I moved from CT to upstate NY. The people in NY drive 100,000 times more pleasantly and sanely than those from CT.

Hard to believe I know! I find I'm not constantly on edge when I drive here. I was in CT.

No way!

Which part of upstate NY are you in? Oh, you may not want to give specifics on a public board, and I understand of course. I was in the East Fishkill and Poughkeepsie area, and it was just awful. I noticed that Albany and north didn't seem nearly as bad. Those are the only parts of the state where I have any driving experience.

I live in northern Colorado.  People here constantly run red lights.  People constantly tail gate or follow too close to the car in front of them and then seem confused when the car in front of them has to stop suddenly and they end up running into the rear of the car in front of them.  Something else people have taken to doing here lately is running into someone else's car and then taking off.  We even know someone who was hit while riding her bicycle and the driver didn't even stick around. 

Wow, that is not my experience at all, Wendy!  I mean, unless you're driving on 95 of course.  But then, my experience has been that driving on 95 anywhere from Boston to DC you will find no shortage of crazy drivers.  But just driving around our small towns... generally that is fine. 

And as further proof that this is likely not in my head, when I moved from CT to NY my car insurance went down $400 a year with the same company and same coverage. It's that much more in CT!

Wow, that is very interesting. We went to CT a few times for weekend trips, but my husband always drove, and we were just going to small towns and/or good hiking areas, so I never had to deal with what you experienced.

Some intersections actually have a delay between one light's turning red and the other light's turning green for exactly this reason.  I still look very carefully before going once the light has changed.  Why does everyone seem to think they can "make it" before the red?

I assumed that was universal. You mean there are places where if the light turns red, it's instantly green in the other direction?

I've noticed a delay here (Michigan) of about 5-6 full seconds of red light in all four directions.

It took me a while to get used to the custom that on a 2-lane road, if someone in front of you is turning left, you should fly past at 50mph on the very narrow shoulder instead of slowing down and waiting for them to turn.

I also hate when someone is trying to "be nice" with traffic and giving gaps or hoping I will turn in front of them when I can't see the entire roadway - no way. I just want everyone to follow traffic rules, I'm patient and will wait until it is properly my turn.

And when people leave gaps at lights (and heavy traffic) for people leaving parking lots/cross roads to cross over and go the opposite direction. I had a car totaled because someone left such a gap and I was coming along and entering the left turn lane; I got t-boned because the driver either didn't see me or assumed that the car that stopped for him mean everyone else was going to stop too. I didn't even know the person had left a gap and was totally caught off guard by that accident.