Menu

If you live out in the country, and your husband travels a fair bit...

madteaparty

What do you do to feel safe? We just moved here (from living in an apartment in the city), and it is so so quiet. No full-time neighbors that we can see or can see our house. House is old and all windows and doors (many!) need replaced. So even if we install an alarm, the cost would be prohibitive and not sure how well it would work.

I do have a dog, a boxer, but she is still a puppy and only barks when she want to play. She jumps up on strangers so as to play with them, but has no fear at all and never barks for warning.

Any tips for me? I've been anti-gun my entire life but there is a ridiculous amount of guns in the county I am in. Ridiculous. But that is a long ways away because I want to train properly, and I am not fully convinced I want to take that huge step. On the other hand, I feel like a bit of sitting duck here. Emergency response does not seem the best, either. To clarify, I only care about life and limb. I do not care at this juncture about property theft, etc.

I've looked at the stats but it is not clear to me what they mean. 900 violent crimes in 10 years? I've no idea what that means in practice. It is a generally poor area, sparsely populated, but most crimes seem to get reported in the local paper. There was a day-time break reported in local paper in the past month or so...

I have a big dog who is very territorial, very protective, and has a vicious bark (Anatolian Shepherd mix).  He is a very loving, sweet dog with our family and friends, but gives off a very fierce impression with strangers. 

We have a long driveway, but he'll start barking as soon as someone even appears to be heading towards our house (and he'll often bark at people just passing by). Our dog is an amazing guard dog and I feel completely safe with him around.   :)

You need to purchase a 12 gauge Pump shotgun (with a very short barrel, buy the shortest barrel that is legal, I think that is 18 inches, but I can't remember...),  and you and your DH need to learn how to use it properly, how to clean it properly, and you need a place to keep it safe from your DC. This is a "defense" gun and you may see these in the patrol cars of your local police or sheriff department, and in the cars of your state highway patrol (in Texas, in the cars of the Dept. of Public Safety). With a shotgun with a short barrel, you just need to point it in the general direction...

Having a gun will not guarantee that you will not be the victim of crime, but not having a gun increases the possibility that you will be a victim of crime. You are sitting ducks.

You need to go to a local gun shop or gun club and talk with the owner, about training

And, join the NRA (National Rifle Association) and take their training and safety courses.

Always, after you  practice with your guns, clean them. I was taught that as a boy. We would go to the police pistol range, or to the gun club to shoot Trap, and, immediately, after getting home, we would clean the guns, before putting them away. So, you need to buy the appropriate Cleaning Kit(s)for your gun(s).

You may also want to purchase some Chickens. They make a lot of noise, if someone comes around. And, you might get some eggs from them...

GL

If you go the gun route, you have to be knowledgeable and smart enough to know when to use it.  A coward with a gun is a terrible combination; enough of that has happened lately.

And as Laura said, is burglary a problem in the area, or is it the number of gun nuts( you know what I mean, people) you're worried about.

Exactly, I don't think I have any business owning a gun because I think it will end up backfiring on me.

On the other hand, just stats on gun ownership in the area virtually assure that whoever shows up at my door will probably have a gun. I do have a phone on me at all times (and now I even make sure it's charged :))

I live in a small, rural area that sounds similar. There aren't many violent crimes, but I've often joked (dark humor) that I could be stabbed and staked in my front yard and nobody would notice until I failed to show up somewhere. We are just that far out in the woods.

Law enforcement is friendly and prompt, but if you need them, at their fastest, it's still a good 20 minutes to get to my home.

All of us are being trained in firearms this fall, not just for safety but we occasionally have a wild animal wander up (or slither) and there is also no animal control where we live.

If you are concerned, ask your sheriff's department for advice. They might also help you train with a gun (ours will). If you live in a hard to locate area, it's also good to make sure that 911 knows how to find you. The sheriff's department can help you contact someone to have directions put on file with 911. Also, keep in mind that ambulance services are also slow. Update your first aid cabinet to have supplies (ice packs, eye flush, whatever is good for your region), especially if your kids have significant allergies.

It's hard to adjust, but we love small town living.

I have a big dog who is very territorial, very protective, and has a vicious bark (Anatolian Shepherd mix).  He is a very loving, sweet dog with our family and friends, but gives off a very fierce impression with strangers. 

We have a long driveway, but he'll start barking as soon as someone even appears to be heading towards our house (and he'll often bark at people just passing by).  The FedEx and UPS guys usually won't get out of their trucks when our dog is around.  I'll never forget the time a guy from our electric utility stopped by to read our meter.  Our dog ran out and the guy jumped into the back of his pick-up truck because he was so freaked out.  

Our dog is an amazing guard dog and I feel completely safe with him around.   :)

Well, I have dog-envy. I got this puppy for my guard dog ambitions and alas. I wonder if it is possible to train a dog to be a better guard dog. That would solve my problems!

What are the crime statistics where you are? Husband is away from Monday to Friday and the nearest house is not in hailing distance. I don't worry. I only lock the doors when I go to bed, don't set the alarm and don't own a gun.

L

I think it will get easier for you, assuming there is not actually a lot violent crime in your area. I would work toward having secure doors and windows and being careful about what you put on social media about your dh being out of town. Normal precautions.

Also I plan to get a screamer....makes a lot of noise in a break in, but not monitored by a service so no monthly fee. Would be assailants don't know that though and intruders are often frightened off by the noise.

I have five dogs, two inside that bark loud and three outside that also bark loud.  One of the outside dogs is a German Shepherd and most people are wary of him (as they should be).  We also own a 20 gauge shotgun that sits next to my bed.  All doors and windows are locked, you can get motion sensor lights for your home as well.  I am Pro-Gun.  My kids know how to use one, we have one and I will be getting a small handgun to take when I'm out riding.  Get yourself to a shooting range and start shooting.  Practice practice practice. 

Kids should be involved in understanding gun safety though.  I think that it's very important.  When my father bought his shotgun I was 12/13 yrs old.  I remember him taking my siblings and I to the back fence near the woods.  Set up three milk jugs full of water.  Lined us up with the shotgun and had each of us shoot a jug.  Watching those explode was intense.  So was the bruise left behind from the kickback.  He then sat us down and we talked about how neat it was to watch them blow up, but then he got serious and agreed that though it was neat to watch those fly into bits, it would do the same thing to a human.  That we should NEVER pick it up unless he is with us, NEVER point it at people, and always presume that it was loaded.  Lesson learned.  We never had the desire to mess with it and understood it's power.

Hopefully you will never have to use a gun, but being prepared is better than not :)

I've looked at the stats but it is not clear to me what they mean. 900 violent crimes in 10 years? I've no idea what that means in practice. It is a generally poor area, sparsely populated, but most crimes seem to get reported in the local paper. There was a day-time break reported in local paper in the past month or so...

I would talk to the local police and get an idea for how those crimes are distributed.  Then you'll know what to do.  If I look at our local crime statistics there's a fair bit of violence, but it's mostly fights outside pubs in the nearby town.

We had some burglaries in this village last year, but it was only the garages/sheds that were targeted.

L

I live rural, and DH is away for 3-4 weeks at a time during the summer.  1 neighbor, police/fire about 20-30 min away.  Oddly, I feel safer here than I did living in the suburbs.  I'm an 'odds' kind of girl, and I guess I figure that it's not very likely for someone to drive all the way out here in the middle of nowhere and pick my house.  I do worry more about wild animals, but I am aware of my surroundings during the day, and don't go outside at night.  From car to house we have motion lights and make alot of noise getting out of the car.

Many around here have guns, but we have still chosen not to.  Oh, I do have one of those shrieking alarms Scarlett mentioned I can pull the plug on.  I only got that because my bed is upstairs and DD is downstairs, and I was kind of worried about hearing something downstairs and her being down there.

Well, I have dog-envy. I got this puppy for my guard dog ambitions and alas. I wonder if it is possible to train a dog to be a better guard dog. That would solve my problems!

While I think dogs can be trained to be guard dogs, temperament and natural guarding instincts are key.  If a dog doesn't have the right disposition to be a guard dog, no amount of training is going to accomplish that IMO.

Our previous two dogs were purebred Golden Retrievers (they passed away from old age a few years ago, which is when we got the dog we have now).  While they were wonderful dogs, they were not guard dogs.  They would run up to everyone who came to our house, wagging their tails and wanting to play.  Breed and temperament make a big difference. 

While I think dogs can be trained to be guard dogs, temperament and natural guarding instincts are key.  If a dog doesn't have the right disposition to be a guard dog, no amount of training is going to accomplish that IMO.

Our previous two dogs were purebred Golden Retrievers (they passed away from old age a few years ago, which is when we got the dog we have now).  While they were wonderful dogs, they were not guard dogs.  They would run up to everyone who came to our house, wagging their tails and wanting to play.  Breed and temperament make a big difference. 

She is a purebred boxer from show-dog parents, and I thought boxers were good guard dogs, but all she wants is play play play all day long, and is indiscriminate in her needs :) Perhaps as she gets older--she is only 6 months old.

I'm an 'odds' kind of girl, and I guess I figure that it's not very likely for someone to drive all the way out here in the middle of nowhere and pick my house. 

They could walk here, for example, there is a trailer park within half hour walk of my house I just passed the other day. I worry about the irrational criminal, like a meth head or whatever.

She is a purebred boxer from show-dog parents, and I thought boxers were good guard dogs, but all she wants is play play play all day long, and is indiscriminate in her needs :) Perhaps as she gets older--she is only 6 months old.

Sounds like a sweet dog. :)  

Maybe you could start a new thread on how to train a dog to be a guard dog.  There are quite a few dog training experts on these boards.  My dog training knowledge is limited to basic commands.  We just got lucky with this dog, and can't take any credit for his awesomeness.  :p

I know in the city where I live most home invasions are drug related--usually person X going after person Y over drugs and drug money. So if you don't deal drugs or rip off a drug dealer, your chances of having your home broken into are much, much lower than the overall statistics suggest. Another large category of violent crimes are domestic violence between family members, etc. So if you screen out DV and the drug-related stuff, how many crimes have happened in  your area in the last year?

It sounds like you have the right idea about being responsible if you go the gun ownership route--though if I lived rural I'd probably keep guns so I could go hunting. (Mmm...rabbit, venison, squirrel, duck, etc. etc.)

Another thing is, know your neighbors. Not so much for fear of random strangers, but if there's a storm or whatever, that can be important. I can remember when we lived in rural Idaho, after a Thanksgiving blizzard we had neighbors come use our gas oven because their electric was out, and another time a neighbor brought a few groceries from town for us by snowmobile because the roads were expected to be snowed in in our neck of the woods for a few days. Even if the neighbor is half a mile away, that's likely still closer help in an emergency or disaster than emergency services, and they might be the second call you make in an emergency--or the first in a semi-emergency (car won't start, snowed in or a tree down in your driveway, etc.).

I advise thinking very long and very hard before getting a dog with guarding instincts.  It's much more responsibility, training and liability than most people realistically want or are able to handle.  The greater propensity for harm, the greater the responsibility is on the owner for proper training and management.  Unfortunately, way too many people think they can just go get XYZ breed from any old breeder and the dog will magically protect them from harm, while not getting himself into any trouble and being the perfect, loveable mooch with the family.  It hardly ever works that way.

If you do get a guardian dog, please don't let it run up to delivery people or any other innocent, unsuspecting person.  That's just asking for the dog to be euthanized if he bites or even jumps on and inadvertently scratches someone.  "Dangerous dog" laws abound nowadays.  Also, some insurance companies will no longer insure homes where certain breeds are owned.  Which is a shame, but unfortunately it's bound to get worse as more people who aren't prepared to properly manage guardian-type dogs continue to get them.

Give your boxer time to mature.  Work on basic obedience skills.  Teach her tricks.  Treat her like the loved pet that I'm sure she is.  And she will very likely become exactly the kind of watch dog (not guard dog) that most people really want.

I know in the city where I live most home invasions are drug related--usually person X going after person Y over drugs and drug money. So if you don't deal drugs or rip off a drug dealer, your chances of having your home broken into are much, much lower than the overall statistics suggest. Another large category of violent crimes are domestic violence between family members, etc. So if you screen out DV and the drug-related stuff, how many crimes have happened in  your area in the last year?

Yes, and a lot of burglary type crimes are people breaking into the homes of people they know looking for things to sell for drug money.  Relatives and acquaintances are more likely targets because someone already knows what they want to steal and sell from the house. 

I get being worried though.  I found out after we moved in here that the cluster of trailers down near the main road used to contain some pretty rough characters, but they were arrested or evicted a couple years ago.

Like many others suggested, I had a mastiff when I lived way "out there." I still have one now that I am closer to town.

I have not had any problems with the dog being overly protective; this breed seems to know what is going on and they protect their people without harming others when it's not necessary.

We put both dogs through basic obedience and they lived inside.

My experience is that most random burglars don't want to mess with a dog when they can break into a house with no dog. Does not really matter if the dog would harm them or not. Many people were afraid of our dog when they first met her but those who knew her, knew they needn't fear her unless they were threatening us.

If dogs are not your cuppa, I'd get lessons in small weapon use, specifically those small handguns for women.

If you don't like that either, I'd have deadbolts on every door - inside and leading to the outside and special glass on all windows that does not shatter into pieces but breaks like a big piece and still hangs together. We had that on the French Doors.

Meet your neighbors even if they live a distance away. Get their phone numbers. Chances are they will be faster at your place than a patrol car.

I live 10 miles from pavement, fifteen miles from the nearest town and my DH works 700 miles away for 6 weeks at a time.

What do you do to feel safe?

We own several guns, but not a "ridiculous amount."  Just enough to arm every member of the family with a couple extras.  :D

(BTW, I wouldn't bother with a handgun for home protection.  Nothing beats a good, old shotgun.  99% of any intruders would be scared off by nothing more than the mere sight of a 12 gauge looking them in the eye.  Intimidation is half the power of a gun.)

We also own a multitude of dogs.  None of them is particularly fierce, protective or even large, but they sure are noisy.  ;)

Exactly, I don't think I have any business owning a gun because I think it will end up backfiring on me.

On the other hand, just stats on gun ownership in the area virtually assure that whoever shows up at my door will probably have a gun. I do have a phone on me at all times (and now I even make sure it's charged :))

It seems to me as though you are afraid of others in your area who do have guns. It is likely that the vast majority of the people reflected in those stats are decent, law abiding people. Otherwise, their guns would not be registered and they would not be part of the statistics. OTOH, many criminals who own guns do so illegally. They don't register them (many are stolen) and are therefore not reflected in the statistics.

Please don't worry that everyone who owns a gun in your area is a criminal waiting to harm you. My family owns many guns and we have absolutely no intention of using them to commit crimes. My mother owns guns and she has no interest in conducting home invasions. My grandmother has a gun and she certainly isn't going around knocking down doors, using her gun to commit crimes. Although we all show up on the statistical charts, none of us would be a threat to you.

As others have mentioned, the big issue is to determine whether there are many crimes in your area and what type. Then you can base your decision regarding what steps would be most prudent for you to take on the specific need for your area.

IMO, guns are a very bad idea for anyone not comfortable with being properly trained in their use and willing to go to the range periodically to maintain their skills. Dogs are good for alarms and deterrents, but it would be unwise for most families to keep attack dogs in the home. Local law enforcement works primarily as a deterrent and to apprehend criminals after the crime has been committed. But they are usually spread pretty thin in rural areas.

I guess the bottom line is to live only in areas where you are able to provide defensive measures commensurate with the risks common to the area. The alternative is to be constantly worried and fearful, and that's no way to live life. For me and my family, we have a combination of guns, hard core self defense training, and dogs. And we live in a low crime area. I have almost no fear out here. I walk the dog every evening along a secluded wooded trail, by myself, armed only with a small flashlight and a baggie of dog treats (and a pug who would ignore my distress should there be trouble, and focus only on the dropped bag of treats). I have never had a problem.

We live at the end of a dead-end, dirt road, with approximately 35,000 acres of undeveloped forest adjacent to us. I was much more frightened when we lived in the city than I have been living here. While the stats show that there are many times more gun owners here than in the city, there is much less crime. We are much safer here than we were there. HTH

As a reminder, gun registration really has nothing to do with whether one is or isn't law-abiding.  

Of our half dozen or so guns, only two are registered because they're the two that we actually purchased.  The others are antiques, or hand-me-downs, or gifts.

They could walk here, for example, there is a trailer park within half hour walk of my house I just passed the other day. I worry about the irrational criminal, like a meth head or whatever.

Drug dealers/peddlers usually have plenty of illegal firearms. I grew up with them for neighbors in the city. Some are in and out of jail for drug trafficking. However none had harm a resident and the only ones they injure/harm are drug gang warfare.

Trailer park does not equal crime. I would check the statistics and crime reports for your surrounding area. I use this website and it is quite accurate https://www.crimereports.com/

What I do is avoid the higher crime area of my neighborhood or other neighborhoods that I go to if possible especially if it is assault.  If it is car theft, I am not as worried walking along the streets compared to theft with assault of passersby.  I have only one aunt who stayed in a rural dirt road area.  Her family is all well trained in first aid including CPR.  Her home is hard to locate even for police and ambulance. She had a few guard dogs.

OTOH, many criminals who own guns do so illegally. They don't register them (many are stolen) and are therefore not reflected in the statistics.

As others have mentioned, the big issue is to determine whether there are many crimes in your area and what type. Then you can base your decision regarding what steps would be most prudent for you to take on the specific need for your area.

:iagree:

Dogs- inside and out. They raise hell if anything is out of the ordinary outside. Usually its a wild deer or fox, but if there was a person they would go nuts. Our inside dog is a lab and the sweetest thing you'll ever meet, but she barks and growls like an attack dog if she hears someone outside and doesn't know who it is. 

Motion lights. 

Guns. Lots of guns.

Our inside dog is a lab and the sweetest thing you'll ever meet, but she barks and growls like an attack dog if she hears someone outside and doesn't know who it is. 

We just got a lab and he is an excellent watchdog. My husband says he's a "watch" dog but not a "guard" dog. He wouldn't hurt a fly (hypothetically), but his bark is scary.