Menu

Explain this to me

Scarlett

Since this thread has gone in so many unforeseen directions, it seems like the perfect place to ask a question that has been plaguing me:

How does one get warning points?

Let's just say if you tell someone that her name sounds like her mom was spending too much time on a baby-naming website, you could get warning points.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this thread has gone in so many unforeseen directions, it seems like the perfect place to ask a question that has been plaguing me:

I dunno.  (See... I didn't say "I do not know" nor "I have no idea").  I even asked for warning points, but they wouldn't give me any AND they wouldn't tell me how to get any either.  :sneaky2:

Oh, I know. I have 10 of those little suckers. I did something and got banned. Along with the banning came the warning points. In the moderators defense I was very rude about it. Not my best moment by far. I did apologize for my mistake.

You know, I'm starting to develop a complex about all those with high post counts missing. What am I? Chopped liver?

And as I'm not in a secret club, as it were, I'm thinking someone needs to make a social group for the uncool kids.

Yes, it has to be a social group b/c I don't do facebook anymore.  I'm not cool enough and I don't want to post photos of awesome looking cupcakes I made that are so loaded with frosting I'd never eat them.  

Oh, I'm not outing anyone any more. I got in some deep do-do last time I tried that.

Oh, good!  Something new to wonder about.  How am I going to sleep?   I think I need a cheat sheet listing all the WTM scandals.

Guest inoubliable

Let's just say if you tell someone that her name sounds like her mom was spending too much time on a baby-naming website, you could get warning points.

Strangely, you also can't blurt out that you find someone's world-view a non-issue in a heated thread. Or maybe it's that you aren't supposed to use the word "shit"?

Guest inoubliable

I dunno.  (See... I didn't say "I do not know" nor "I have no idea").  I even asked for warning points, but they wouldn't give me any AND they wouldn't tell me how to get any either.  :sneaky2:

<insert witty comment about not having a Canadian WP system>

It occurs to me that if someone wants to know why someone else quoted them that they could perhaps PM that person rather than starting a public thread on the chat board. Maybe I am just a direct broad but if this happened to me and I was curious, I would ask the person who quoted me directly what was up through private channels.

I could say this whole thread is triangulation to pull others into it but there are really too many angles for the tri prefix to be vaguely accurate.

I know I said I was leaving, but...I couldn't resist. And then I had to quote you to see if you would really be notified.

Maybe I should figure out how to turn on this notification thing. Perhaps more people on here notice me than I think.

Nah, probably not. :tongue_smilie:

Just wanted you know........

I noticed.

:P

I'm on with this. Read the whole thing and it still didn't get any clearer. I thought Scarlett was referring to a social group within WTM. Happily joining the uncool-drama-free-club!

ETA, although this thread did lead me to look up the word "pastafarian" to see if it was a real word or a typo of Rastafarian...new word for the day!

I AM talking about a social group here. Atheist, agnostics and freethinkers.

Strangely, you also can't blurt out that you find someone's world-view a non-issue in a heated thread. Or maybe it's that you aren't supposed to use the word "shit"?

You can talk about pussy pussy tho.'

Adding: This refers to a cat with pus-filled wounds, to keep down the Jerry Springer accusations.

Sorry to disappoint, but it's really not.  Someone here keeps trying to make it so, but it really isn't.

I hate to tell you this, but I *actually* got an email about the super-secret group and the person (who I will not 'out' and who, I think, was in the facebook group--does that make me too close to being 'cool', I wonder?) asked me what was going on with all the people leaveing WTM boards and if I knew any of the details.  Since I never even heard of the facebook group, she knew more about it than me.   It has taken on an aura of mystery for me ever since.

It occurs to me that if someone wants to know why someone else quoted them that they could perhaps PM that person rather than starting a public thread on the chat board. Maybe I am just a direct broad but if this happened to me and I was curious, I would ask the person who quoted me directly what was up through private channels.

I could say this whole thread is triangulation to pull others into it but there are really too many angles for the tri prefix to be vaguely accurate.

Although it grew a lot of legs, I do think it was a worthwhile topic.  A relevant discussion on quoting etiquette IMO.

I AM talking about a social group here. Atheist, agnostics and freethinkers.

I got it from the start and I don't see why you can't ask about it in a thread.  

I've just been having fun with this thread.  I get that way when I'm tired ........and I got really excited when I saw the mystery facebook group mentioned---it's been a slow day here.

What have you tried so far?  

Oh my stars!

I am sick and laid up on the couch with nothin' to do...........

Let's see if we can find creative ways to earn points!

No, bad Lu. Take your meds, sip your water, and let the delirium settle over you.

Yes I could have done that....but my REAL question, if anyone would take the time to read my first post was how does one do that? And a lesser follow up,question, mild curiosity, was WHY would that dumb comment of mine on gun cleaning thread be quoted by the private atheist group. I could have asked her via pm, but I couldn't remember if this particular person has been kind or unkind to me and didn't want to risk seeming like I was trying to provoke her.

I hate to tell you this, but I *actually* got an email about the super-secret group and the person (who I will not 'out' and who, I think, was in the facebook group--does that make me too close to being 'cool', I wonder?) asked me what was going on with all the people leaveing WTM boards and if I knew any of the details.  Since I never even heard of the facebook group, she knew more about it than me.   It has taken on an aura of mystery for me ever since.

Right now our numbers are less than 150.  *Many* of those are lurkers.  There are many more who've never spoken more than 5 times.  Then there are many who used to frequent quite often but haven't in awhile.  The number of people who post frequently is maybe about 50? (that's a completely random guess based on nothing)  So if people are leaving WTM, I don't think most are going to the FB group.

If you'd like, I could play you some Haunted Mansion music to keep the aura of mystery alive.  Maybe some Ghostbusters? Thriller?  Justin Bieber?  Just let me know :tongue_smilie:

The thread is officially cool.  5 Stars.  Being quoted, secret facebook groups, warning points, getting banned, whoring out 'likes', social group spies, 'outing' online personalities, how to sign up for every notification so you can feel cool....what more can you ask for?

The thread is officially cool. 5 Stars. Being quoted, secret facebook groups, warning points, getting banned, whoring out 'likes', social group spies, 'outing' online personalities, how to sign up for every notification so you can feel cool....what more can you ask for?

Jell-O shots and someone to wash my dishes.

Yes I could have done that....but my REAL question, if anyone would take the time to read my first post was how does one do that? And a lesser follow up,question, mild curiosity, was WHY would that dumb comment of mine on gun cleaning thread be quoted by the private atheist group. I could have asked her via pm, but I couldn't remember if this particular person has been kind or unkind to me and didn't want to risk seeming like I was trying to provoke her.

Scarlett, seriously not jabbing at you. But you didn't think starting a public thread would be more provoking than a private message? 

And I'm so tired that when I first read your post I saw "gum cleaning" and I wonder if you're talking about dental hygiene or getting something off your shoe.  :lol:

That, actually didn't apply to you specifically. I'm sorry that wasn't clear for you. Refreshing to know that you don't care if you were quoted yet you started a thread on it. LOL.

Good to know you weren't talking about me specifically.

Btw, this post is also rude and condescending IMO.....being curious as to how and why I was quoted does not equal caring in the way you were going on about.

My guesses about why...

...there were dishes in the sink that needed to be done.

...someone didn't get enough sleep last night and decided to have fun.

...they are not cool enough to be in the secret facebook group that is not really secret and really only consists of 50 active posters

...the poster was trying to up his/her post count (though the bee levels don't change anymore, so why? Oh, maybe to join the other super-secret facebook group that even meggie doesn't know about!  :tongue_smilie:

I would note that this thread did not call anyone out personally - at least, the OP did not.  So no, I do not think she should have expected it to be very provocative.  Though you never know around here.

Scarlett, seriously not jabbing at you. But you didn't think starting a public thread would be more provoking than a private message?

And I'm so tired that when I first read your post I saw "gum cleaning" and I wonder if you're talking about dental hygiene or getting something off your shoe. :lol:

No I do not. I have yet to even mention her name. How am I provoking?

I started a thread because I was CURIOUS how you can post from one thread to another and CURIOUS why that particular post was even quoted.

Wait...apparently I'm thinking of another secret group? I have no idea what's going on. One of these days I'll be in the cool clique and know wtf is happening.

Lol, and how do you get invited to join one of these super secret FB groups? Do you get an invitation if you're deemed worthy? Do you have to know someone? Fascinating . . .

Beck

I use actually *all.the.time* my kids used the word actually as toddlers. It wasn't until people started commenting on a toddler saying "actually" that I noticed how much I say it.

I think it's strange to use something as nebulous as "statement analysis" to imply that Bethany is lying. But, I tend to be fairly direct.

I was going to say the same thing.  Nothing like an 18 month old prefacing everything they say with "actually" to drive home how often I use it.

I started a thread because I was CURIOUS how you can post from one thread to another and CURIOUS why that particular post was even quoted.

I swear there was a similar conversation a few months ago. I don't even know WHO started it, but you know these things never end well. 

I don't think you're purposely provoking, but when specific names or groups or mentioned it removes the anonymity of the whole question. Then people make assumptions, then people accuse, then people get defensive, then the cupcakes come out, then there are bannings, and warning points, and locked threads, etc, etc.  

I set mine to notify me for everything just so when I log in I have 50 notifications. It makes me feel cool. :coolgleamA:

Just kidding.....sort of. :p

This is how I know I've been posting too much.  More than a couple likes or quotes means I've probably been avoiding some necessary housework.

I would note that this thread did not call anyone out personally - at least, the OP did not.  So no, I do not think she should have expected it to be very provocative.  Though you never know around here.

Truthfully, I've seen very few posts about the atheist group that haven't been charged.  I'm not laying blame on anyone, just pointing it out.

Gah, and now I can't type anything without wondering if I sound sincere or not.  I use too many modifiers in my regular speech, and now I'm certain everyone thinks I'm lying all the time.

I swear there was a similar conversation a few months ago. I don't even know WHO started it, but you know these things never end well.

I don't think you're purposely provoking, but when specific names or groups or mentioned it removes the anonymity of the whole question. Then people make assumptions, then people accuse, then people get defensive, then the cupcakes come out, then there are bannings, and warning points, and locked threads, etc, etc.

I do remember the thread....if I wasn't so 'search' impaired I could probably have found it and avoided the whole mess....but just like many other topics they come around again and again. After 10 years on the board there really isn't much new.

I am jaded though. Shrug.

I will say Sinks comments about words that reveal more than we think is interesting.

I know a body and language analyst expert on another board and it is fascinating stuff. She has analyzed an apology letter I received from a relative of mine....and she was dead on about so many things.

You're provoking because you named the group by name. If you were sincerely CURIOUS about how the quote feature worked you would have asked about that. You wouldn't have said "Look! The atheists are talking about me again!"

A question on board mechanics via a thread seems fine. I don't think anyone but the person who quoted you could have the answer as to why your post was chosen. That's what appears as if you are trying to call them out publicly.

I am beginning to think it is almost impossible not to be provoking here.  I've done the provoking (unintentionally) and I've been provoked --have no idea if it was intentional or the posters just can't READ.

I once posted about whether or not you would be wary of a seller who asked for personal paypal.  I purposely left out the seller's name b/c I realized she could just be uninformed about paypal.  People were jumping to all kinds of conclusions and making all kinds of horrible statements.  The seller posted on the thread and 'outed' herself.   :confused1:   Still can't figure that one out.

Guest inoubliable

Well,there you go. Thanks for using your mad search skillz.

LOL. I had time to kill while I waited for my pizza to finish in the oven. 

I finished the thread! And now I'm sad that I'm not cool enough for a secret Facebook group or to be quoted in a secret group that I'm not a member of :(

Okay, I'm over it.

Impressive that you finished the whole thread!

Really, since I read the whole thing too (instead of cleaning bathrooms) I almost feel the need to write it on my to-do list and cross it off.

*dies laughing*

Oh look, missing members are arriving in droves to announce that the uber secret FB group is a perfect, non-gossip, sunshine and butterflies filled place.

I'm a liar apparently.

I guess that means everyone can ask to join the super secret FB group now!!

You'll just have to wait a month for the incriminating threads and posts to be deleted before the front door will be opened to you :D