Menu

Explain this to me

Scarlett

Again. I know we have discussed it before....but i forgot how it works. I got a notification that I had been quoted.....when I clicked the link it took me to the atheist social page and told me I don't have access.....I just don't understand the technical,part that allows someone to move a quote to a different thread and forum than where I originally posted.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Again. I know we have discussed it before....but i forgot how it works. I got a notification that I had been quoted.....when I clicked the link it took me to the atheist social page and told me I don't have access.....I just don't understand the technical,part that allows someone to move a quote to a different thread and forum than where I originally posted.

When someone hits "Quote", they can copy and then paste the quote box (like the one above) anywhere on the forum.  

I just copied your quote and posted it over in Introductions & Test Posting. Did you get a notification? I tested it with my own quote but wasn't notified (maybe because the system didn't think I needed to be ;) ).

Yes I got the notification.....pretty cool. Thank you.

Um, fwiw, it would bother me if I got a notification that I had been quoted in a social group I didn't have access to. It seems kinda, I dunno; rude? I mean, lets be real, if someone's talking about me behind my back (or in a social group I'm not a member of), I'd honestly rather not know it. It's kinda like someone sending you a pm saying "Hey, just so you know, we're talking about you/what you said in ABC social group. Oh, and we're not inviting you to join the group or telling you what we said."  Well, okaaaay, that's certainly your right. But *why* exactly did I need to know?

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Perhaps they were just agreeing with something you said. I guess I'm skeptical of that because of the particular social group and knowing that you are very much NOT atheist? I don't like to think the worst of people; perhaps I'm growing more cynical. And I'm not trying to slander any members of the Atheist social group, so don't send me angry pm's, mmmkay?  :tongue_smilie: If Scarlett got a notification that someone quoted her in the, I dunno, "I adore my ex-husband" social group, I'd wonder why just as much.

Um, fwiw, it would bother me if I got a notification that I had been quoted in a social group I didn't have access to. It seems kinda, I dunno; rude? I mean, lets be real, if someone's talking about me behind my back (or in a social group I'm not a member of), I'd honestly rather not know it. It's kinda like someone sending you a pm saying "Hey, just so you know, we're talking about you/what you said in ABC social group. Oh, and we're not inviting you to join the group or telling you what we said." Well, okaaaay, that's certainly your right. But *why* exactly did I need to know?

Maybe I'm totally wrong. Perhaps they were just agreeing with something you said. I guess I'm skeptical of that because of the particular social group and knowing that you are very much NOT atheist? I don't like to think the worst of people; perhaps I'm growing more cynical. And I'm not trying to slander any members of the Atheist social group, so don't send me angry pm's, mmmkay? :tongue_smilie: If Scarlett got a notification that someone quoted her in the, I dunno, "I adore my ex-husband" social group, I'd wonder why just as much.

LOL!!!

Yes well I agree with you all and I imagine there is a fair amount of mocking going on of us cray cray Christians but whatever.....I mostly was trying to figure out how they did it. Dandelion helped me figure that out with our test last night.

I don't like the fact that quotes can be moves about. Some quotes taken out of context could bring a different meaning to the quote. If it is in a social group you cannot access how can you know your quote is being used correctly or not altered in any way? The more I think about it, I don't like this at all.

Ummm. The only way to stop people from miss quoting you online is to not writing anything online. I can just copy and paste what you said.

Ummm. The only way to stop people from miss quoting you online is to not writing anything online. I can just copy and paste what you said.

True but at least there wouldn't be an announcement that I was quoted in an exclusive club.

I understand that it's impossible to prevent anyone from copying/pasting a quote from one place into another, but it's a bit surprising to learn that people do it, particularly when it's in a social group the quoted person is not a member of.  Poor etiquette, isn't it?   

Who the f*** cares? Really, you could say something in the grocery store, someone hears you and they go on and talk about it to whomever. So what? Really, some of you here flatter yourselves too much. Trust me, you (general you who have their panties in a wad over this) are not the topic of conversation in that group.

I understand that it's impossible to prevent anyone from copying/pasting a quote from one place into another, but it's a bit surprising to learn that people do it, particularly when it's in a social group the quoted person is not a member of. Poor etiquette, isn't it?

Not any worse than a few moms sitting around sipping coffee discussing in more detail a topic from the last big group event, complete with, " I heard so-and-so say blah, blah, blaaah".

I frequently save diving into the nitty gritty of a topic until I am with one or two trusted people and I can speak more openly.

I think it IS disconcerting to know you/your words are being discussed, online or IRL does not make a difference to that feeling. I think if we are really honest in our assessment of social media, a very large percentage of it is driven by these sorts of conversations. Are some snarky and rude? Sure, people aren't suddenly sweet Mary sunshine online if they are a big meanie IRL. Are most probably benign? I would guess they are.

As long as you put yourself out there in the world you run a risk of being discussed.

Once you put something in writing on the web it may end up places you didn't intend.

Such are the risks in this modern age. :)

Who the f*** cares? Really, you could say something in the grocery store, someone hears you and they go on and talk about it to whomever. So what? Really, some of you here flatter yourselves too much. Trust me, you (general you who have their panties in a wad over this) are not the topic of conversation in that group.

Such a classy response reassures everyone that everything is just sunshine and roses.

Nice. Ftr, I don't really 'care' as in losing sleep over it. And yes we can all talk about whatever we want whenever we want. I was curious. And I don't like being notified I've been quoted in a forum I have no access to.

Am I the only one fascinated by this whole UltraSecret Facebook Group?

Who's in it?

What do you talk about?

Do you need a sponsor to get invited?

Is that were so many of the high-post count people have disappeared to? You know, the people who think the board has turned into a Jerry Springer show?

Why would that make more sense?

I feel like I am in the twilight zone, but I will try to explain in case this is a sincere question. A group with the title of atheists, agnostics and free thinkers would APPEAR to be discussing why they believe that way, why they don't agree with religions or believe in God. I would not think a head banging comment about gun cleaning would be of any relevance or interest to such a group.

I think you can turn that "feature" off Scarlett. I don't turn any of that on. Frankly, I'd rather just not know.

But I want to respond to or at least read posts that are in response to something of mine that has been quoted.

Huh. I have paid very little attention to the social groups.....just now looked at the Atheist group and you can see a list of members and who last posted...as well as the name of the thread. Most interesting.

I am a little clueless as to all the under currents here. I often can't remember who says what, what their beliefs are etc. I do remember once a very vocal atheist was having what appeared to be friendly banter with me....but later it seemed she was a tad mean toward me so I assume I missed some sort of sarcasm. I am kind of like Sheldon in that way, except you know without the genius

IQ.

Then there was the poster who said if she was my neighbor she would move too. That stung a bit, but whatever.

I find it difficult to navigate this stuff sometimes. There are some posters I really admire for their kindness and tact even when I know they don't agree with me. Then things like this happen and it leaves me feeling unsettled and jaded....wondering if everything is one big joke to some here. I have always shocked when I encounter someone who seems to dislike me so much. Shrug. Took me most of my 20s to figure out how others feel about me is really no reflection on my worth.

Interesting stuff to think on. It has helped me avoid cleaning out my car....but I can delay no longer.

I feel like I am in the twilight zone, but I will try to explain in case this is a sincere question. A group with the title of atheists, agnostics and free thinkers would APPEAR to be discussing why they believe that way, why they don't agree with religions or believe in God. I would not think a head banging comment about gun cleaning would be of any relevance or interest to such a group.

Wait a second - you commented about the gun cleaning comments on another thread that we all didn't know about?  Why not just comment right there on the gun cleaning thread, so the people you were talking about could see it?

I don't see a big difference between that and being quoted in a place you can't access.  Either way it's talking about other people behind their backs.  Either it's OK to do or it isn't.

I'm sure people talk about me behind my back, but I don't care, as long as it isn't extreme and untrue.  As my sister points out, what is that quote in Pride and Prejudice - something like "what are we here for but to make sport of our neighbors and provide them entertainment in our turn"?

Am I the only one fascinated by this whole UltraSecret Facebook Group?

I wouldn't say I'm fascinated by it, but I've wondered about it whenever the occasional obscure reference to it is made.  I guess if we have to ask about it, we're obviously not elite enough to be in it.   :p

I'm in some secret facebook groups, but everyone is respectful / supportive in those groups.  The reason they are secret is that we share sensitive info about our kids, to help each other out.

I wouldn't say I'm fascinated by it, but I've wondered about it whenever the occasional obscure reference to it is made.  I guess if we have to ask about it, we're obviously not elite enough to be in it.   :p

I don't know that I want to be in it.

But the allusions to it just fascinated me! So I want to know what goes on there.

It's almost like a country club...nope, don't want to join but I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

I am nosy by nature.

Wait a second - you commented about the gun cleaning comments on another thread that we all didn't know about? Why not just comment right there on the gun cleaning thread, so the people you were talking about could see it?

I don't see a big difference between that and being quoted in a place you can't access. Either way it's talking about other people behind their backs. Either it's OK to do or it isn't.

I'm sure people talk about me behind my back, but I don't care, as long as it isn't extreme and untrue. As my sister points out, what is that quote in Pride and Prejudice - something like "what are we here for but to make sport of our neighbors and provide them entertainment in our turn"?

Are you serious? The gun cleaning thread isn't a closed group. Anyone who wants to go to the trouble to go find it can do so. Heck if anyone asked I would link it. And the post I mentioned In the gun cleaning thread was MY post so I wasn't talking about anyone behind their back.

So no I see no comparison between that and someone taking MY quote and using it on a closed group.

I mean this as kindly as I can say it...people talk *period*. I would let it go because you have absolutely NO way of controlling it. Even people who get upset about people talking, talk. It is humanity.

I was curious about how it works.....I'm not holding on to some big resentment. It does sort of make me go hmm.....when I realize who all is in that group.

My aim is to never say anything I wouldn't repeat to everyone. I am sure I don't always succeed.....but I really do try.

I don't know that I want to be in it.

But the allusions to it just fascinated me! So I want to know what goes on there.

It's almost like a country club...nope, don't want to join but I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

I am nosy by nature.

I am nosy by nature too....my former co workers used to say I was curious as a cat...I just HAD to know stuff. It is another trait of mine that I've tried to tone down.....I realize ignorance sometimes is bliss.

LOL!!!

Well, *this* certainly isn't any LESS rude than them quoting you in their social group, Scarlett.  :tongue_smilie:

I get it, Ok? Some (many? a lot? I don't know) of the ladies on this board dislike me. Perhaps because of my faith, perhaps my personality. Or maybe they just don't care for the font in my signature. Whatever. Truly, I'm ok with that. Anyone IRL knows I can certainly handle not being liked; being hated, even. I've got the message; feel free to spend your time doing something more productive than trying to communicate that sentiment to me further. And if I may be so bold, I'm gonna go right ahead and guess Scarlett's heard you loud and clear as well.

And the "mysterious" facebook group is just another avenue for ladies, all (or almost all) of whom met on this forum to talk to one another.  And if I may; both {Edited out other member's name, because maybe she'd rather stay out of it, LOL} and I are in that facebook group. Anyone who has been here any length of time knows that she and I have very, very different world views. But somehow, we manage not only to get along, but actually enjoy one another's company. Imagine that!

Well, *this* certainly isn't any LESS rude than them quoting you in their social group, Scarlett. :tongue_smilie:

I get it, Ok? Some (many? a lot? I don't know) of the ladies on this board dislike me. Perhaps because of my faith, perhaps my personality. Or maybe they just don't care for the font in my signature. Whatever. Truly, I'm ok with that. Anyone IRL knows I can certainly handle not being liked; being hated, even. I've got the message; feel free to spend your time doing something more productive than trying to communicate that sentiment to me further. And if I may be so bold, I'm gonna go right ahead and guess Scarlett's heard you loud and clear as well.

And the "mysterious" facebook group is just another avenue for ladies, all (or almost all) of whom met on this forum to talk to one another. And if I may; both Rosie and I are in that facebook group. Anyone who has been here any length of time knows that she and I have very, very different world views. But somehow, we manage not only to get along, but actually enjoy one another's company. Imagine that!

Yep.

Wait. The facebook group is different than the social groups right? I belong to a well trained mind fb group...but I don't think it is the one you are taking about.

Are you serious? The gun cleaning thread isn't a closed group. Anyone who wants to go to the trouble to go find it can do so. Heck if anyone asked I would link it. And the post I mentioned In the gun cleaning thread was MY post so I wasn't talking about anyone behind their back.

So no I see no comparison between that and someone taking MY quote and using it on a closed group.

I wasn't seriously offended, but I was trying to make the point that we all talk behind others' backs.  To be honest, I went and complained on another site about some comments on that gun thread, not mentioning any identifying info of course.

But I've accidentally come across people talking about *me* online and it is not a pleasant feeling - whether they quote me or simply mention my screen name.  It is educational, I'll say that.  Hopefully it helps me to remember to not do that to others, behind their backs.

Well, *this* certainly isn't any LESS rude than them quoting you in their social group, Scarlett.  :tongue_smilie:

And the "mysterious" facebook group is just another avenue for ladies, all (or almost all) of whom met on this forum to talk to one another.  And if I may; both Rosie and I are in that facebook group. Anyone who has been here any length of time knows that she and I have very, very different world views. But somehow, we manage not only to get along, but actually enjoy one another's company. Imagine that!

Why does crazy stupid love keep saying it's a gossipfest, then?

I was curious about how it works.....I'm not holding on to some big resentment. It does sort of make me go hmm.....when I realize who all is in that group.

My aim is to never say anything I wouldn't repeat to everyone. I am sure I don't always succeed.....but I really do try.

I understood and I wasn't assuming anything about you or anyone else.  I was just making a general point.  :)  

Guest inoubliable

Also it would have made more since if they had quoted something to do with religion....but it was just a silly sentence or two about that gun cleaning thread where I was annoyed with the whole topic.

You're right - this has been discussed before. Some of it must not have stuck, though, so I'll help out. 

This is going to shock some here.... most atheists and agnostics consider religion and belief a non-issue. Meaning, we actually don't sit around discussing things we don't believe in or belong to. I'm not being a bitch here. I'm truly attempting to explain that the group is meant for discussing secular homeschooling resources and the challenges that come with living as a non-believer. It's not as malicious as it might seem. Is religion discussed there? Sure. Sometimes. Sometimes someone says something about their specific religion and, rather than seem offensive *here*, it gets moved to the other group where it gets discussed there. In a very clinical, "hey, look what I found on Wikipedia!", or "Yeah, I once had a neighbor who..." way. Curiosity. Sometimes disbelief. Offensive? Not intentional. Most of the time we talk about which science to use. *Yawn* Or exercise tips, fashion advice, and meal plans. Book lists, that's a big one. (We have Moira in there, can you blame us?)

Your specific quote? About guns? Nothing to do with religion. That thread was getting heated and some people felt uncomfortable in responding there in the thread, but wanted to get deeper into it with people they trust. The topic moved over to the group and you were quoted as a jumping off point. 

But I want to respond to or at least read posts that are in response to something of mine that has been quoted.

Have you tried the following feature for individual threads?

Yep.

Wait. The facebook group is different than the social groups right? I belong to a well trained mind fb group...but I don't think it is the one you are taking about.

Yes, it's different than the social groups. I know there is at least one other well trained mind fb group other than the "secret" one. (The one everyone's talking about truly is secret. That's a setting you can put a fb group at. Which means even if someone knew the name of the group and searched for it on fb, it wouldn't come up. It's the highest level of privacy. I suppose in that way, it's very similar to a private social group here on these forums.)

Why does crazy stupid love keep saying it's a gossipfest, then?

I have no idea. I'm sure any conversation we have there could be had here in PM's. Honestly (no snark), if you really want to know, I'd pm her directly. No way I'm speaking for her, ya know?

Your specific quote? About guns? Nothing to do with religion. That thread was getting heated and some people felt uncomfortable in responding there in the thread, but wanted to get deeper into it with people they trust. The topic moved over to the group and you were quoted as a jumping off point. 

Fair enough to want to move the discussion to a different venue, but in the future, given the fact that all members can be notified when they are quoted, I would avoid quoting a nonmember (of the secret group) in that context.

Edited for possible hope of being clear. :)

I consider this an unfair accusation towards Bethany.

Indeed it is.

I'm on FB. I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever referenced another group or board on it. Mostly I link to my blog, note whatever stupid funny to me or happy whatever and the occasional picture of the kids. And the few times I did mention this board or any other board/group, it was with someone else in the same board/group via PM.

I didn't think Scarlett was ticked off so much as

A. Curious how the quote to another website works. (I'm curious too bc I NEVER get notification of quotes from anywhere, including here and I would be curious to know.)

B. Curious why in the world an atheist group cares enough to quote some random gun cleaning comment a Christian made.

As to the first, I'm going to have to get on the computer instead of idevice to see if I can adjust my settings.

In the second, many ETA: (as in a subset of folks of which I've come across) atheist tend to lump "crazy", "guns" and "Christians" together, so I am not surprised they would quote Christians on guns. Especially if it is a group that tends to be mocking. ETA: like tends to congregate with like, thus it would not surprise me that afore mentioned subset of folks have a social outlet on FB or anywhere else. Just like there are many, as in a subset of folks, Christians who mock and and lump Catholic or nonbelievers with "idol worshiping" "whores" and "communist". None of which presumes this is the case for anyone of which I don't know to have done such, including the FB group referenced in this thread. Of which I have absolutely no idea who they are or what they talk about.

Guest inoubliable

Fair enough to want to move the discussion to a different venue, but in the future, given the fact that all members can be notified when they are quoted, I would avoid quoting a nonmember (of the secret group) in that context.

Oh aye. 

And now how much would it freak everyone out if I said that not using the quoting button does happen. That a lot more is quoted and discussed over there without using that feature? Would that make everyone feel better, or more aggravated, do you think? Would everyone be okay with now knowing that ANY of the secret, closed SGs here might have people copying and pasting them into their own discussions? Really, I think that people here need to understand that this is the internet. Whatever you say, ANYWHERE, can be copied and pasted ANYWHERE else. Like if you talked about a gun discussion from one forum on another forum based in, say, a country to the north of us on a thread about bikers scaring people in red SUVs. KWIM? And it's not always who you think that will be doing the copying and pasting. People need to keep that in mind and just not say anything on the internet that they don't want to show up somewhere else, out of context or not, and be discussed. 

A. Curious how the quote to another website works. (I'm curious too bc I NEVER get notification of quotes from anywhere, including here and I would be curious to know.)

In your user profile/control panel, go to:

- My Settings

- Notification Options

- Check the box next to "Notify me when someone quotes my posts"

I'll say this as someone who was quoted on the freethinkers' group last time this topic came up. I'm 99% certain if someone is quoted and discussed it isn't in a demeaning way. I contacted someone in that group when this happened before. We talked for days via email about the being quoted issue, our kids, our lives and stuff in general. There really is no malice there among that group toward the Hive as a whole.

I'm not singling anyone out when I say we need to put aside prejudices. Just because a person is a non-believer doesn't mean they are evil, mocking our beliefs or finding ways to do harm to a believer or his/her reputation. Our perceptions of what "they" may say about "us" just because it is the atheists is probably wrong. There shouldn't even be an Us and Them.

Yes, it is disconcerting to find someone is commenting on one or what on one has said in a manner such as a private social group. And gossiping really is rude. It is something I personally try to limit, but it happens occasionally. Some people are just a bit better at covering up the gossip than others. It would have been a non issue if the person who did the quoting had said:

Scarlet said,

Blah, blah, blah

Instead of quoting her directly.

In the second, many atheist tend to lump "crazy", "guns" and "Christians" together, so I am not surprised they would quote Christians on guns. Especially if it is a group that tends to be mocking.

Why would you say they are a group that tends to be mocking? Because of who the members are or because they are atheists?

Um...I'm an atheist, and a gun owner. Actually, many of us in the atheist group are gun owners. What does atheist or christian have to do with it? If you don't like stereotypes, best not to perpetuate them yourself.

As KK already explained, we have bigger things to do then go sit around and mock. For example, the last threads/posts I have made have been about trapping a skunk, exercise, and what to wear to a gay pride themed gay wedding. OH, wait a minute: I did recently post one earth-shattering revelation. Yes, it's true; I've never eaten bacon.

Guest inoubliable

OH, wait a minute: I did recently post one earth-shattering revelation. Yes, it's true; I've never eaten bacon.

Yes, it's true. She hasn't ever eaten bacon. 

As a vegan, I'm not sure if this means I lurve her even more, or if as an atheist I'm skeptical of this claim... =P