Menu

A proper response

Scarlett

So sweet of you to offer but it just won't work out.

Or

Sorry, I can't afford that what with Joe Jr. needing braces/glasses/orthopedic shoes, etc.

Or

I've heard microwaves are really bad for you so we've decided to not risk it.

Or

Gosh, Susie, that's a bit steep for a 10 year old microwave, don't you think?? Good luck though!

I tried that ....then she offers $1200 with a payment plan!

Say "I'd prefer to keep the cost in a range that will allow me to pay in full.  Like around $300." (or whatever your budget is)

The thing is....she works for the manufacturer and I hope to get her employee price when I am ready for appliances.

Say "I'm not shopping for appliances yet, but would love your insight when I'm ready since you work for XYZ manufacturer.  Thanks for the offer though!"

I think that you have a decision to make.  Either you pay her her "fee" now to be able to use her discount later or you keep telling her no and take your chances later.  But a $1200 fee is mighty steep.  And if she was a friend would she be charging you full price for a decades old microwave?  Something, imo, just seems wrong here.

I think that you have a decision to make.  Either you pay her her "fee" now to be able to use her discount later or you keep telling her no and take your chances later.  But a $1200 fee is mighty steep.  And if she was a friend would she be charging you full price for a decades old microwave?  Something, imo, just seems wrong here.

Yes, and the price you will pay to use her employee discount will be much higher than the "fee".  Run from this.

Why does she think her combo is worth $1500? At that point I think I'd be giving it away. Is it a high end name? I'm just surprised she wants to sell it to you for that much. Who would pay that much for a 10 year old microwave/oven combo?

I agree with everyone else. No thank you. Is this an Advantium? I wouldn't pay $1500 for a 10 year old Wolf or Viking. And if she's trying to scam you now, she will scam you later with her "employee" price too. Ugh. That's crappy. Why does she think her friend is such a sucker? :(

Is there some reason she might think a 10 year old appliance is worth that much?  Was it some crazy $10k item new? 

Even if it was, I would still say no.  Just "No thank you".  Maybe add something about wanting to buy new if you feel you must offer an excuse.

I'd say I'm not in the market right now.  It sounds like she's trying to get what she paid for it 10 years ago.   do take brand and features into consideration.  if she wants that much, I'd expect it to be a top-of-the-line and in very good condition gaggenau or a thermador.  (and even then  . . . . )

If she's really your friend, she'll understand you simply cannot afford anything outside the range you've chosen. She either lowers her price or finds another buyer but she shouldn't be mad at you for not buying from her. Actually, you taking it would be a major convenience for her. She wouldn't have to list it and hold onto it to try to sell it. That could be part of her motivation. Just tell her it's way, way too much, but thanks for thinking of you for first shot at the deal.

I'm saving for a new one. Thanks for thinking of me.

This. And I wouldn't even consider asking to use her employee discount when the time comes. For one, you'd have to pay her and then she would have to pay for the items herself, she could charge you any price. She's using you now, and she'll use you later.

You can find good deals on new appliances through many stores that have annual sales events to clear out last year's models and get ready for new stock. Scratch and dent - Dh and I paid $400.00 less for our refrigerator than the new price because during shipping it had been scratched...on the side that butts up against the countertop so know one has ever seen the scratch. That $400.00 was well more than the employee discount at that store. My washing machine is also a scratch and dent special that we received a huge discount on because not only was it last year's model, but again, not perfect though nothing that affected the warranty. We paid half price. I know of no employee discount for any major appliance company that is 50%.

Run, do not walk, away from this.

Faith

I would not rely on using your friend's discount, as a pp mentioned above. Sounds like she might be trying to take advantage of your situation--like she's pushing a bit too hard. And she's not picking up on any vibes that you're uncomfortable with the situation. I would not trust that this person would be completely altruistic in another transaction.

Thanks everyone for confirming that it was way too much money. I was actually kind of shocked that she would think It worth that much. It is top of the line stuff for the manufacturer she works for but not top of the line overall..

And she did get me her price the last time I bought appliances.

Thanks everyone for confirming that it was way too much money. I was actually kind of shocked that she would think It worth that much. It is top of the line stuff for the manufacturer she works for but not top of the line overall..

And she did get me her price the last time I bought appliances.

Scratch and dent next time. We have a wonderful Bosch front loader that we got for a steal because of a scratched aside.

Then you get a great appliance (heck, maybe better then she can offer) for a great price and you two don't have to be playing these games with each other.

Scratch and dent next time. We have a wonderful Bosch front loader that we got for a steal because of a scratched aside.

Then you get a great appliance (heck, maybe better then she can offer) for a great price and you two don't have to be playing these games with each other.

Yep.  Well, she is not a bad friend...I just think she thinks it is worth more than it is.  She has helped me so much...she was my  neighbor when I was going through my divorce.  She literally brought me plates of food and got me to eat enough to keep me alive that first month or so. 

Yep. Well, she is not a bad friend...I just think she thinks it is worth more than it is. She has helped me so much...she was my neighbor when I was going through my divorce. She literally brought me plates of food and got me to eat enough to keep me alive that first month or so.

Actually, if you really do consider her to be a good friend, that's all the more reason not to buy her old appliances. What if something breaks almost as soon as you get it? This stuff is 10 years old, and could be on its last legs, even if it looks like new.

If you overpay her for her stuff and then it breaks down quickly, it could cause a problem in the friendship.

I have given things away to friends, but I would never sell anything to a friend, particularly not something like an appliance or a car. You just never know how long they're going to last before something goes wrong with them.

Actually, if you really do consider her to be a good friend, that's all the more reason not to buy her old appliances. What if something breaks almost as soon as you get it? This stuff is 10 years old, and could be on its last legs, even if it looks like new.

If you overpay her for her stuff and then it breaks down quickly, it could cause a problem in the friendship.

I have given things away to friends, but I would never sell anything to a friend, particularly not something like an appliance or a car. You just never know how long they're going to last before something goes wrong with them.

Right...Don't worry I'm not buying it!