Menu

s/o Share your TSA stories

msjones

I fly a lot and with kids. I have not had a bad TSA experience anywhere. In fact, quite the opposite. They have always been kind and helpful to me. I've carried on liquids (baby formula in bottles), medicines, no problem. The only thing ever taken from me was a large can of hairspray...which is my fault. I knew better, I just forgot. I have never been scanned and the few times I've been patted down were quick, professional, and no big deal.

I've had much worse problems with flight attendants than TSA agents!

Bringing food through security is not allowed. You can try to put in checked baggage, but normally, you have to buy it after you go through security.

Even before the towers, food was an issue.

They let us keep all the other lunch food. Only the hummus was tossed.

I think I've packed food for every flight I've ever taken.

Hand to God, I would get arrested if anyone tried to pat down my infant. I would not deal with that well, to say the least.

They would have to tranquilize me to strip search my baby--and he's 9. Even more so actually since he's old enough to know what's going on and be completely freaked out about it. It would not be pretty.

A good story...Charlotte airport...DC and I had just gotten in a long security line when a TSA official called us out. I was concerned, of course, but he simply asked if we would like to go down to the (empty) family line, where the boys didn't have to take off anything and the person running the Xray machine asked if they would like to come around and see how it worked. We were through in minutes.

I haven't flown within the US since I was 14 (waaay pre-9/11), and would prefer not to based on a lot of a anecdotal TSA horror stories, not to mention the invasive scanners!

I am as pale as they come, but I do dress modestly, with a headscarf. All of my adult travel has been out of Canada, and I have never had any issues.

I try so hard not to beep going through the metal detector, removing jewelry, etc., but sometimes it still happens. Once it was a metal barrette I was wearing under my scarf. I was sure I would have to go in a back room and remove my scarf so they could take a look, but nope. The female agent asked my permission to touch the back of my head, felt through the cloth that it was a barrette, and let me go. Another time it was a large decorative button on my dress that I had assumed was plastic. Again, I just let the female agent see the button and I was on my way.

None of us have ever had to remove our shoes; in fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone remove their shoes at security. I have always been able to carry a baby or toddler through with no issues.

Last summer, we were traveling in Ramadan, and we were going to have to break our fast in the airport. Not finding airport food particularly appetizing after fasting all day, we bought food locally and brought it with us. Our plan was to check in, get through security (with the food), and then relax and enjoy our meal while awaiting our boarding call. We brought multiple pre-made salads with dressing (tabbouleh, Greek salad, avocado salad, etc.), fruit cups, even a whole BBQd chicken! and no one at security even batted an eyelash. It was a great meal.

My only incident with security was my own stupid fault, and while upsetting, taught me to be very careful planning my carry-ons. About 10 years ago, I prepared for my overseas trip by stocking my purse with items that would be useful upon my arrival, completely forgetting about security. One of the items was a miniature pair of folding scissors that had belonged to my grandmother, who had passed a year or two earlier. I thought they would be helpful for removing lose strings on clothing, tags from purchases, etc. When the agent found them in my purse, my heart sank. I asked if there was any way to bring them, to allow a family member to pick them up, to get them upon my return, but no. I had no choice but to leave my grandmother's scissors and run to my gate. Stupid, stupid. Now, I minimize everything and don't even carry Chapstick.

After reading many of the stories here, I plan to continue to fly out of Canada and stick to car travel in the US.

TSA practically opens up a line for you when you fly with 9 children so our security experiences have been pretty easy. :)

I will post my dd's story from last summer. I have posted it before. She was 15 at the time. I got permission to walk her to the gate and wait until the plane left. When we got to security they announced they were going to max out the body scanner for the day and filtered all lines into one. This was in OKC, btw. I had Pre-prepped my daughter and told her that if she was offered a body scanner it was up to her to decide what to do. She could choose the scanner or a pat down. She chose the scanner. It was one of those gingerbread men type where you see an outline, but no physical features. It registered her back pocket. She had a hair elastic in it. She tried to remove it to show them and they would not allow it. They patted her down. They followed protocol, no creepy pat down, just back of the hand. They explained each step before proceeding. Then they had her take out the hair tie. She did, then they chemical tested her hands. It was all a bit absurd! My daughter merely rolled her eyes privately at me and we went on our merry way.

Dh's step-sister and step-mother have had intrusive pat downs. They wear long skirts all of the time and don't cut their hair. Dh's step-mom also often puts hers up on her head. They have been groped and had comments about their dress. The step-mom has had to take her hair down to be searched.

Thankfully we have never had any like that!

You *can* fly with peanut butter, yogurt, etc., so long as you put it in your liquids bag and it follows the 3-1-1 rules. I will often put all of our toiletries into one liquids bag, and food in the other. I flew last week with those individual tubs of peanut butter. They go nicely with sliced apples.

My Cpap machine has caused some TSA agents to comb thru my luggage early on after 9/11. Most didn't know what it was back then. Smaller airports were the worst.

THe summer after 9/11 DH flew with just carry - on luggage. On the way home it was a Sunday. TSA pulled him aside and went thru his bag with a fine tooth comb. They pulled out his bible, looked thru it and saw his notes and then asked what kind of a book it was. DH replied it was his bible. The guy then asked him why he wasn't in church! DH said, he was going home. TSA then went thru his entired wallet pulling out every credit card, every picture, etc. Thankfully we have never had an incident quite like that since.

Last summer, my son flew to Germany and then to Italy. He had absolutely no issues and said that everyone going and coming was friendly and chatty. He was 12, so he didn't have to remove his shoes or go through the scanner.

The spring before that, my dh flew to Chicago and then on to Milwaukee. The first flight was late landing and he had to run though the airport. When he arrived at security the line was really long. He told the nearest agent that he would miss his flight if he waited, so the guy walked him through the employee scanner and sent him on his way.

One thing TSA agents look for when pulling someone for random screening is someone who will likely comply.

This generally includes cops/firemen/military, older men and women, parents with young children, etc.

It can also include people who physically fit the profile du jour but who give off the vibe they'll comply. The agents also know that these people are accustomed to the extra screening and can be willing to suffer through it in order to make their flight.

I spent a few years working in San Jose, CA where there is a huge Asian Indian population - including the third of the TSA agents. Most reasonable people realize that Asian Indians share dark skin and hair with their Middle Eastern cousins, but are very different groups entirely. And yet, there are those who don't who think Good for them for doing extra screening on those shady looking brown people. Even the Asian Indian TSA agents seemed to favor screening the Asian Indian passengers. I actually spent months at the airport in the restaurant across from security. I was hired to study the behaviors of everyone involved in the process. Not my most exciting gig, but the garlic fries were to-die-for and billable so it was a no-brainer ;)

I had nothing but great experiences with the SJC TSA agents. It should be noted that I am dark brown, with black hair and I'm often mistaken for every ethnic group in the Bay Area - including the various Asian groups, some Mediterrean groups, and most Latin groups. I may have good luck because of how I present myself to security (I toe the line between compliant but not willing to comply further and the jerk they're going to make an example of). TSA agents are regular Joes, take advantage of that. They're humans first, and will behave predictably 99% of the time - regardless of who you are and what you look like.

We've never really had any problems. Nothing that has stood out as great or bad. Just regular go through the line stuff. This has been anytime, whether it was me traveling alone, w/ my kids, or w/ other adults.

Once, my sis & her dh had a very, very early morning flight. It was cold out & she had just grabbed a couple of (unmatched) knit gloves on the way out her door. (She has bazillions of the things.) She was also dressed in very comfy pants & ugg type boots, planning to sleep once she got on the plane. The TSA agent asked her if she got dressed in the dark. :lol: We still kid her about that one.

I have a funny story from a very, very long time ago (pre-TSA). Sis did a summer study in Spain. A pal & I went over for a few weeks while she was there. My sis is a notorious over-buyer & had already bought tons of souvenirs & goodies for herself & friends. So, when my friend & I were coming back, she asked us to go ahead & bring quite a few things w/ us. One of the items was a real sword. Of course, that's what everyone buys in Spain, right? So, we assume that once we get to the airport, we'll be able to get one of those boxes from the airlines that they used to put hanging bags in if you were checking them. (Am I dating myself here by remembering when they did those things?) We get to the airport & our airline didn't have any of those boxes. We went to every airline in the terminal & not one had a box. So, my friend, who actually had a hanging bag w/ her just put the sword in there. They watched us do it, let us check it, & tossed it on the conveyer belt. Of course, by the time it came out on the other end, it was a completely shredded hanging bag w/ a big sword hanging out of it. :tongue_smilie: I felt kind-of sorry for the baggage handlers on that one! And that doesn't even take into account all the bottles of wine we had in a different bag -- a couple of the bottles had broken in-flight & were leaking. I kept thinking I was standing too close to someone who had had waaaay too much to drink on the flight when I realized it was our luggage dripping wine everywhere. D'oh! Oh well. Spain was still entirely awesome & we had a great trip. :laugh:

I wear long skirts a lot (they're comfy - especially when sitting on a plane for hours) and frequently get pulled aside for screenings. When I'm with the kids, it's only ever been the quick wand thing or the super quick leg patdown. I flew without my kids for the first time last December, as usual got flagged (this is always at SEA by the way) and got the full patdown. I requested a private room and there was the agent doing the patdown and another in there observing to make sure she didn't do anything innappropriate. She was very nice and explained everything. But I do think it's funny they choose the more expedient route when the kids are in tow!

We have had many TSA agents be super helfpul with the kids too, especially when they were younger. Things like helping us get our stuff on/off the scanner. Even opening the stroller and having it waiting for us on the other side of the scanner.

The first time I flew alone with my daughter she was almost 2. It was early in the morning and I had done everything right beforehand to limit the stress. I had both of our shoes off ready to go. Then the TSA agent decided my daughter couldn't go through the metal detector holding her little blankie and ripped it out of her hands. If he had just asked nicely I would have been able to take it from her but when he grabbed it she started screaming. I was so furious I couldn't see straight but didn't have the presence of mind to do anything but look at him like he was an idiot.

Once around 2004 I had gone through security and was waiting at my gate. I had a view of the security line from where I was sitting. I saw a woman wearing a hijab getting patted down. I noticed that they had their hands under some of her clothing. When she turned around to walk down the concourse she was sobbing. It broke my heart, so I walked over and asked her if she would like to sit down for a few minutes. She cried for a while then said that no person besides her husband had ever touched her that way. She said she had travelled between the US and Lebanon for years and this was the first time she had ever experienced a pat down. She said she always expected it and tried to prepare but said there was no way she could prepare for being touched like that. She wasn't angry or bitter, she just felt violated. I appreciated her perspective. We ended up visiting for so long she almost missed her flight.

What kind of food are you talking about? You can't bring most food through security.; maybe peanuts, some dry packaged items, formula. You can pack some it in your checked luggage. The food thrown away by TSA is legendary. Try traveling with fruit internationally. lol

Once you are through security, you can have your tuna sub, and even bring it on the plane to eat. :)

Fruit is a different issue - it's to do with pests travelling from one country to another.

L

I'm amazed at the good experiences here. I'm happy that's the case.

I don't know how I got so many bad experiences though.

Maybe the agents are more severe coming from Asia to America?

Also, I've lived in Japan almost 18 years. The Japanese are ultra mannerly. I think I'm more Japanese now than American. Perhaps that has colored my perspective. But, it also is an indicator that internationals may feel more vulnerable.

About the food issue:

The sandwich I had came off the plane I had flown from Tokyo to America on. At that time, about 8 years ago, I thought that "airline" food was still okay to bring in because it was on the plane. The sandwich was wrapped (not opened) just like the cookies. So, my mistake. But, still, I didn't need a scolding. I mean the guy acted as if I had a weapon. Way, way over the top.

Also, I travel alot, internationally, 2 or 3 times a year brining small groups from Asia to America too. So, I have more of a chance at the bad TSA experiences. Chicago is the worst by far. Seatlle, was not that great either. Hawaii was great. San Francisco great. Washington, DC not bad, but the lines are terrible and the passengers get upset there while waiting in lines, because the lines are so confusing.

You know, I wasn't so upset about the other stuff, but when I brought the mother-daughter into the states, the guy really frightened this poor lady who really couldn't speak English. That really, really, made me upset because she was so upset, she was crying. Not a great way to enter the country.

And yes, she did have a "note" from her husband (we were prepared). But the guy continued.

We were also trying to catch a flight as our flight had been delayed. We missed our flight. Not a great memory.

We travel a lot and I am always pulled aside for the pat down. Always. This recent trip I stood for a while after the scanner waiting for a female agent to come do the pat down, the male agent kept shouting that I hadn't set off the scanner but he wanted me searched anyway. I have not had many negative experiences, though, the people have been generally professional -- some more friendly than others, but I've never had anyone be mean.

Our worst experience, we were transferring between flights, we had gotten off the first flight and the gate for the next one was right across the hallway -- we literally walked twenty steps to the next gate area where most of the passengers were already sitting waiting to board. The agents at the desk saw us come over and called for TSA, and in front of the whole group of passengers these two agents call us out loudly to come with them -- they took us into the boarding tunnel (the door was closed -- they weren't ready to board yet -- but everyone's attention was already focused there, kwim?). The search itself wasn't a big deal, they patted down everyone (small kids included), but I felt the whole thing could have been handled better.. It was disturbing enough to the other passengers that we had people come up to us during the flight and make comments.

My only incident with security was my own stupid fault, and while upsetting, taught me to be very careful planning my carry-ons. About 10 years ago, I prepared for my overseas trip by stocking my purse with items that would be useful upon my arrival, completely forgetting about security. One of the items was a miniature pair of folding scissors that had belonged to my grandmother, who had passed a year or two earlier. I thought they would be helpful for removing lose strings on clothing, tags from purchases, etc. When the agent found them in my purse, my heart sank. I asked if there was any way to bring them, to allow a family member to pick them up, to get them upon my return, but no. I had no choice but to leave my grandmother's scissors and run to my gate. Stupid, stupid. Now, I minimize everything and don't even carry Chapstick.

After reading many of the stories here, I plan to continue to fly out of Canada and stick to car travel in the US.

I am surprised they didn't give you any options. I am a ditz and have forgotten to take sharp objects out of my purse in several different countries. Security has always offered to mail them home for me, both pre and post 9/11. Honestly, paying international shipping for a pair of nail scissors or a pocket knife is silly, so I've never taken them up on the offer, but I'm sure that other people do. They even have special envelopes available at some airports for the goofballs like me.

I am so sorry that you lost such a sentimental treasure.

I fly every 3 or 4 months to visit my family (just me and the kids) and I have never had a bad experience. I've never had a child seperated from me or anything. It is always the same two airports though, so it's not like I have a variety of experience. One time, they did search my carry on, I think it was because of a softball that was in there. It was a gift that I had picked up on the trip. But everyone was courteous and professional. I used to get nervous when I first started flying with my son (when he was an infant) because I assumed that people would be annoyed with a baby on the plane. Then I was nervous again when my dd was born and they outnumbered me! But every time, everyone I've encountered from TSA to airline employees to fellow travelers have been very kind, even over the top accommodating.

I did have a trip one time where the baby had a blowout diaper......that was an experience I don't care to repeat!

Back before 9/11, in some airports they had the x-ray screen turned so you could see what the screener was seeing. I put Great Girl's diaper bag through the x-ray and was stunned to see the clear silhouette of a pistol in the bag! The security people freaked - in a professional sort of way - whisked it off the belt and hand-searched the bag to find a contraband Tyrannosaurus Rex that Great Girl had added on her own initiative. Somehow it had angled in just the right way to look exactly like a gun. The security guy laughed, held it by the tail and pointed it at the other security guy. Oh, the old days, when airport security could be funny.

I just finished reading an article about how the new DSM (Diagnostic Manual of Mental Disorders) allows the diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as a result of cumulative, chronic discrimination. Previously, there had to be a clearly identifiable traumatic event. What you describe certainly makes me see why.

I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through this.

Thank you. You know, honestly, we're not too sensitive about this stuff for the most part. Except for the one notable experience, we really are used to the additional searches. I am curious to know, statistically speaking, whether profiling is actually effective. It seems to me the people to worry about are often the ones who don't look the part.

The worst experience I ever had in terms of this actually wasn't flying or with TSA agents, surprisingly, it was driving cross-country. When I think of that incident, it really terrifies me. I personally tend to take the view of 'I have nothing to hide' and I don't really mind the extra searching, I'll just get through it and go. The fear really comes from the situation being abused to the extreme..

My Airport story - we had to fly thru Houston right after 9/11. This was before they even had the permanent security set up - they sort of herded you thru these areas separated off with plastic as you went thru security. No scanners except for the old ones so everyone got a pat down. Military folks with guns everywhere.

I had my youngest two with me and was carrying DD while holding tight to DS. I set DD down so they could do the pat down, but accidentally let go of DS's hand. DS was a runner. As soon as I let go, he shot off like a rocket down the terminal, through the security folks and headed for the hills. I looked at the security guy and said "one of us is going to have to catch him. You or me?" He laughed and got on his radio and in a flash the military folks had DS cornered and returned to the gate. no harm done and DS thought it was great meeting the soldiers.

We fly lots and have had excellent experiences with security. I agree that it helps to be well prepared when you travel.

I'm amazed at the good experiences here. I'm happy that's the case.

I don't know how I got so many bad experiences though.

Maybe the agents are more severe coming from Asia to America?

Also, I've lived in Japan almost 18 years. The Japanese are ultra mannerly. I think I'm more Japanese now than American. Perhaps that has colored my perspective. But, it also is an indicator that internationals may feel more vulnerable.

About the food issue:

The sandwich I had came off the plane I had flown from Tokyo to America on. At that time, about 8 years ago, I thought that "airline" food was still okay to bring in because it was on the plane. The sandwich was wrapped (not opened) just like the cookies. So, my mistake. But, still, I didn't need a scolding. I mean the guy acted as if I had a weapon. Way, way over the top.

Also, I travel alot, internationally, 2 or 3 times a year brining small groups from Asia to America too. So, I have more of a chance at the bad TSA experiences. Chicago is the worst by far. Seatlle, was not that great either. Hawaii was great. San Francisco great. Washington, DC not bad, but the lines are terrible and the passengers get upset there while waiting in lines, because the lines are so confusing.

You know, I wasn't so upset about the other stuff, but when I brought the mother-daughter into the states, the guy really frightened this poor lady who really couldn't speak English. That really, really, made me upset because she was so upset, she was crying. Not a great way to enter the country.

And yes, she did have a "note" from her husband (we were prepared). But the guy continued.

We were also trying to catch a flight as our flight had been delayed. We missed our flight. Not a great memory.

That's not TSA, though, that's immigration. They are different. And yes, immigration can be very strict. We had to throw out beef jerky we bought in Japan (not a huge issue) and the flight attendants on the plane told us in flight that we could not take any food that was provided by the airline off of the plane (both directions from here to Japan and from Japan back to the US).

I had a pair of nail clippers confiscated in a tiny airport in Zimbabwe. The guy told me they were a dangerous item. Oh the irony of being told that by an employee of the government of Zimbabwe! We still joke about how long it would take to kill someone with nail clippers. "Hold still, would you? Got a cramp from nipping you to death."

Back before 9/11, in some airports they had the x-ray screen turned so you could see what the screener was seeing. I put Great Girl's diaper bag through the x-ray and was stunned to see the clear silhouette of a pistol in the bag! The security people freaked - in a professional sort of way - whisked it off the belt and hand-searched the bag to find a contraband Tyrannosaurus Rex that Great Girl had added on her own initiative. Somehow it had angled in just the right way to look exactly like a gun. The security guy laughed, held it by the tail and pointed it at the other security guy. Oh, the old days, when airport security could be funny.

Good thing he wasn't in school or he would have gotten suspended!

We fly quite a bit and never really have any problems. My most recent funny encounter, though, has to be this:

My DH went through the first agent with his ID, then our 4 kids went through. I went through last, keeping them between us like always. When I handed the man my ID, he said, "And here's the beautiful Italian!" I said, "Excuse me?" He said, "Well, 4 gorgeous kids with names like those, I figure there had to be a beautiful Italian somewhere...and your husband's already been through..." :lol:

I've only flown once recently and I was pulled out both coming and going. I was not personally searched or groped, but my bags were. It was kind of funny and they were VERY nice about it, but it was still annoying. Being a raw vegan, I typically carry food with me all the time. I figured a safe bet going through security would be bananas and packaged raw bars. These particular bars are bigger than a normal granola bar and, in all honesty, could look a little like an explosive on the scanner. So, on the way to our destination, security dug through to find them all and read the ingredients on each label. :001_rolleyes: I'm glad they didn't take them because they're expensive and I had almost $70 worth in my bag. Then, on the way home, I was pulled out of line AGAIN. There was a man digging through the bag, clearly looking for something specific, while the female next to him kept saying, "look at the scanner, it is CLEARLY a banana" and it was. :D

We fly quite a bit and never really have any problems. My most recent funny encounter, though, has to be this:

My DH went through the first agent with his ID, then our 4 kids went through. I went through last, keeping them between us like always. When I handed the man my ID, he said, "And here's the beautiful Italian!" I said, "Excuse me?" He said, "Well, 4 gorgeous kids with names like those, I figure there had to be a beautiful Italian somewhere...and your husband's already been through..." :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good sense of humor!

dh and I just got back from a trip to Denver.

Dh forgot that his pocketknife that he ALWAYS carries was nnot allowed on the plane, so as he was emptying his pockets at the xray machine he asked the scary security lady (whose voice was lower than my dh's) if that size knife was allowed. She very sternly informed him that NO knives were acceptable under any circumstances, so we tucked it into my backpack and I ran back to check it. As I headed back through the maze, I asked the other male TSA guards if it was okay to go through this backwards to get to the back check in place. They said fine. Cheerfully, they informed me that they would not yell at me. Except if it was Wednesday...then I could expect to be yelled at. :)

Then when I came back and went through the x ray machine, I guess my jeans rivets set off the machine, so a little old innocuous lady patted down my hips and we went on our way.

Coming back, I got patted down in my clavicle area, since my necklace pendant set off the machine.

Over all, no problems at all.

Flew in April. Ds has Aspergers. They were sending him to the scanner. I told them to be sure to tell him each step, and explained the issue. I was NOT trying to get him out of the scanner as he needs to live in the world as it is, and expect exceptions but they just sent him back to the regular metal detector with me instead of the scanner. He's done the scanner before and did fine with it............. They were VERY nice about it..

ah. I thought immigration was an arm of the TSA.

My bad then, though I still had my jewlry stolen in Raleigh, Durham Airport by the TSA.

So watch out, no traveling with jewlry ladies.

If it was checked luggage, it could have been TSA inspecting the bags or it could have been the baggage handlers. I never pack anything of value in checked luggage, as a rule of thumb. Most airlines will tell you not to check valuables as well.

If it was checked luggage, it could have been TSA inspecting the bags or it could have been the baggage handlers. I never pack anything of value in checked luggage, as a rule of thumb. Most airlines will tell you not to check valuables as well.

It was in carry-on luggage. They had "flagged" me to check my carry on, I was going through the body scanner too, and during that time, they must have taken the jewlry out of my carry on while I was being scanned, while I was distracted. It was proven later that this had been happening at this particular airport. I didn't realize it till I was all the way home in Japan. I had to carry the valuables because I needed to take them to Japan with me as they were family heirlooms and I was not going to have another chance at receiveing them. So, sometimes, people do need to carry valuables overseas. You are supposed to be able to trust these security people. But, just a warning, to watch your bags if being scanned. Or, yes, don't ever carry valuables. I guess it would have been safer in retrospect to mail them.