Menu

Low priced grocery store coffee recommendations? Not having much luck on my own...

Sherri in MI

Cheap, as in under $5 per can.

Years ago I used to drink Folgers french roast & liked it. Folgers is no longer cheap. I haven't had coffee at home for a long time (used to drink tea) but the last couple of months I've been drinking coffee again every morning. Well I started with a giant thing of Maxwell House French Roast. Didn't like it. Used it all, but nasty. I thought I liked Maxwell House. Maybe the rgular. Then I tried Meijer store brand breakfast blend which is very weak in flavor, even when I used a lot. I can't even taste any coffee flavor. Yesterday I bought Great Value (Walmart brand) classic roast. Really great price. Haven't tried it yet, but judging by the smell, I'm not looking forward to it.

I'm not sure why I am having such a hard time finding a cheap coffee I like. I didn't think I was that "dicriminating". I know I like Dunkin Donuts, but can't afford it. As far as coffee out, I always thought Starbucks was too harsh, but I do like their blonde roast. I think I like Millstone, but again, pricey. I think I like Seattle's Best too.

I like a strong coffee flavor, but smooth, not bitey or slap you in the face. Smooth & yummy.

Any suggestions? Do you have a favorite cheap brand?

Eight O'Clock. It comes in a Starbucks-sized bag and is about $5 at Walmart. We began drinking it when it showed up as a Best Buy coffee in Consumer Reports several years ago.

We've been drinking Gevallia lately. We use online coupons and end up paying about $5 a bag, less when it's on sale at the regular grocery store.

I'm drinking Eight O'Clock coffee right now. Cost isn't a factor. I get it because I think it's so good. Of course coffee taste is subjective so ymmv. If someone gave me free Starbucks forever I wouldn't touch it. That's some nasty stuff IMO.

Posting simultaneously with Wendy... I had to walk back over to my cupboard twice to make sure my WalMart coffee was called Master Chef and not Master Blend. Obviously haven't had enough coffee yet today. (because I also typed Master Bland by mistake and I thought it was hilarious, so obviously didn't get enough sleep either!)

Seconding Aldi coffee. My dh is a bit of a coffee snob and he loves their whole bean coffees. The flavors/varieties change a bit in my area, sometimes a breakfast blend similar to Dunkin Donuts, other times internationally grown things like Venezuelan or Costa Rican coffees. I think they run about $4 per bag and they last quite well in the freezer for several months.

If you have a shoprite around I highly recommend shoprite brand coffee! Its 4.99/lb and in my opinion is on par with 8 o'clock coffee, which is my favorite for the price coffee. If no shoprite then go 8 o'clock. usually runs 8/lb I think but I just stock up when its on sale at at most 6/lb. Costco has good prices too for the coffee they carry,can't remember the brand it was but its not their kirkland brand that I think is the value there

If you have a Target near you, you can often get both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon for a bag of Starbucks. With those, you can get a bag of Starbucks for around five or six bucks.

Whatever brand you go with, if you can get whole beans and grind then at home, the flavor will be a million times better than the already ground stuff.

We do the Kirkland brand beans although the price went up recently. And we like the cheapest stuff at TJ's as well "Joe's" Brand or something. We prefer the medium to the dark, though, and we are all about lots of flavor in our coffee.

We like the Eight O'Clock too (I especially like the mocha blend), and our stores will fairly often have it on sale for Buy One, Get One Free, so I buy a bunch and put them in the freezer.

DH also likes Aldi's Donut Store coffee (I think that's the right name), and they also have a fair trade (IIRC) coffee that is inexpensive. I'm a little fuzzy on that, though, because I have only shopped at Aldi a few times, since it's not really convenient to us.