Menu

If you had very limited money and no way to reliably use the Internet to HS.....

ezrabean2005

I had downloaded freebies for language arts, math and science in pdf format at McDonalds, Starbucks, libraries using their free wi-fi and use those as a spine offline. Then supplement with library books.

A few reams of college ruled paper cost about 20 cents each at back to school sales for the child to make notes. Binders during back to school sales for about $1 each for each subject.

For science and history I would get used copies of encyclopedias (probably Kingfisher, but I do like Usborne for science) and supplement with any library books available. Do you have the Internet available to print anything? There after some free LA workbooks on the Internet. Let me think for a bit about the other subjects...

Wow, the easiest way to homeschool cheaply is to use the internet. If you can't use that at all, then I would purchase used textbooks. I think I would feel comfortable not having an instructor's edition at the grade 5 level. I would purchase used copies of Saxon (hardback), Exercises in English Level E( this was designed to coordinate with Voyages in English, but you do not need VIE to use the workbook), Spelling Workout (student workbook only), and Glencoe Level Red Science. I would print off the guides from Classical House of Learning for literature/ history/ composition and use books from the library or inter- library loan for the literature and purchase SOTW vol1 and The Usborne Internet-Linked History Encyclopedia that are scheduled.

Saxon 65 2nd ed used on amazon in very good condition $5 +$3.99 shipping $9

Exercises in English Level E student worktext Rainbow $18.95

Spelling Workout Level E student Edition Rainbow $9.95

Glencoe Level Red Science amazon like new $20 + $3.99 shipping $24

Story of the World vol 1 new from amazon $13.22

Usborne Encyclopedia of World History $17.09

This comes to $92.21 + the cost of shipping from Rainbow. You could cut the Science text and instead print off the table of contents and have your son read books from the library on the topics covered. The would bring you back down to $68.21 + the cost of shipping from Rainbow.

HTH-

Mandy

I have a few more. For language arts if you could print them off at the beginning of the year you could use these http://www.mhschool.com/reading/treasure_workbooks/national.html.

If that is too much to print my other suggestions would be the Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation (it has quizzes in it as well as thorough explanations and samples), and for spelling (if you still need it) either the 4th edition of Writing Road to Reading or Natural Speller. All of these can be used for multiple grades and are cheap to purchase used.

Do you have internet long enough to download some things? If so I would download some of the free textbooks out there such as this:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/472872-mcgraw-hill-science-textbook-workbook-lab-book-free-grade-1-6/

Or Mr.G has a free science program as well.

I would download free MEP math. http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

McGuffy Eclectic Reader fifth grade for spelling, LA - you can get this used on Amazon for under $2

Holt Math Grade 5 - $5 used from Amazon

McGraw Hill Science grade 5 (with the Tiger on the front) - $5 used from Amazon

Story of the World - Amazon has new for $15 and you want this so you can get free shipping :)

Total about $40-$50 if you include a couple of large packages of lined paper and some pencils.

I would also check out some library books to add in for extra reading for history, science and language arts.

Dear ezrabean,

Here are some ideas:

-Math: Strayer-Upton Brown (covers grades 5 and 6) ($15 at Rainbow Resource)

-Literature: Harold Bloom, Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children ($13 on Amazon). Use this for literature, vocabulary, to generate your own spelling lists, for copywork, narration, dictation, etc......

-Foreign Language: Getting Started with Latin (or Getting Started with Spanish) ($20 on Amazon); you could also look at Latin for Dummies (sorry, hate the name! for $15). Use this also for grammar.

-Then you could buy a nature guide (trees, birds, wildflowers, fish, insects, whatever) to your own area, and call that good for science with nature notebooks, sketching, rock collection, leaf collection, observing when trees bud out, when birds begin to fly, keeping track of the weather, etc.

I'm assuming even a not-great library would have a decent dictionary, atlas, encyclopedia, other reference books you could use.

For social studies, could your child interview some elderly people, perhaps, and do an oral history project? Or do you have local museums, historic sites and so on?

I think sometimes less is more, and that a perfectly fantastic learning year can be had without too much stuff. You can do it!

Good luck to you, my dear--

ES

I'd buy a math book of some kind.

I'd use the library for everything else. Copywork from books we check out of the library, spelling and vocabulary from them, as well. Writing letters to friends, book reviews (not necessarily book reports), reports on history based on library books, timelines using characters we read about in books (fiction as well as non-fiction), science activities from library books...pretty much everything based on library books. Even if they're bad books, lol. If there are encyclopedias, there's a wealth of information in those.

Write with the Best is a solid basic option for writing and a bit of grammar. You can buy it scratch and dent for $10! Cheaper than the paper it's printed on! http://www.diagnosticprescriptive.com/scratch_and_dent_sale.html

Modern Curriculum press math workbooks are very inexpensive even new. Under $20. Grade 5 would be level E.

Harp & Laurel Wreath is a great source for memory work, copy work, and so forth. It's cheap used.

Otherwise I'd use the library for history and science.

Back in the mid 90s I started homeschooling a 5th grader with just $100.00 for the year. No printer, internet, and just a small library without interlibrary loan.

Here is a free planning method, that uses just a large piece of folded paper.

Strayer-Upton book 2 is just $15.00 for both grades 5-6, but I'd try and buy Saxon used at ebay or Amazon. I've seen some good buys on older editions. Saxon is time consuming, but that is good when you don't have much else. I really liked using Saxon when I was severely cash strapped and teaching a 5th grader, with little more than a library card.

Writer's Express writing handbook, combined with the free teacher's manual and 2 free lessons from Write On! by Karen Newell. If money is that tight, I'd skip the full Write On! curriculum, and wing it with just the handbook.

I like the handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th, but if you cannot get that at the library to photocopy those few pages, Don Potter's free handwriting curriculum is excellent. More here.

If you are Christian, the Bible is a great piece of literature. I used the KJV as our main literature and reading book for years. You can download free audios. Reading, listening, discussing, writing about the Bible is an amazing education, especially the KJV.

I collected broken but overlapping sets of encyclopedias and used them as our textbooks. Now a days though you can get used textbooks for a penny each at Amazon. You don't need teacher's manuals to use them. Just read them aloud, journal and use other methods that are generally applied to living/trade books.

Biographies, biographies, biographies. You cannot read too many of them.

I like the ORIGINAL Doubleday hardback What Your _ Grader Needs to Know series grades 1-6 and How is My _ Grader Doing in School? series grades 1-6. But I don't know if I'd spend the money for just one year of either series, if I was that cash strapped, and wasn't going to use the series from start to finish. I'd just use what the library had that looked worthy of reading.

Is there anything your child particularly struggles with? Is there anything you REALLY want to cover this year?

Honestly, I know I could homeschool 5th grade all year with just Saxon, Writer's Express, the KJV with audio, WRTR 6th handwriting, and a tiny library. No printer. No internet.

My Dearest Hive,

I woke up to find the kindest, most amazing responses and notes today from the hive. I am literally in tears because I am so overwhelmed with the amount of kindness that has been shown to me and my family.

Thank you all for all of your advice, well wishes, and offers of items. My biggest fear was having to send him to PS only because I couldn't come up with the resources to give him the education he deserves at home.

This fear has been completely smothered by the love and kindness I have experienced through each of you. Taking time to help and offer advice has meant the world to me, and I know how precious time can be.

I can say that we are going to be alright and with the resources and ideas, we are going to have a great year. I promise to pay it forward in anyway that I can.

Sincerely yours,

Angela

ezrabean, what has been on your wishlist?

There are recovering hoarders here that are just looking for an excuse to reduce really good things, just so they can reduce what they have. You never know whether the thing you are coveting most, might be in one of our piles that we are struggling to get rid of, and we just need a good reason to put us over the edge. You are actually doing some of us a favor, by helping us make the final decision to box and mail some things.

So please, just tell us what you want most. You never know. Dream big. BIG, okay?

ezrabean, what has been on your wishlist?

There are recovering hoarders here that are just looking for an excuse to reduce really good things, just so they can reduce what they have. You never know whether the thing you are coveting most, might be in one of our piles that we are struggling to get rid of, and we just need a good reason to put us over the edge. You are actually doing some of us a favor, by helping us make the final decision to box and mail some things.

So please, just tell us what you want most. You never know. Dream big. BIG, okay?

Yes!!

I have other stuff!!!

I have MUS stuff and writing stuff and history stuff---

I had downloaded freebies for language arts, math and science in pdf format at McDonalds, Starbucks, libraries using their free wi-fi and use those as a spine offline. Then supplement with library books.

A few reams of college ruled paper cost about 20 cents each at back to school sales for the child to make notes. Binders during back to school sales for about $1 each for each subject.

The best free resources are downloads. You do not need on-going internet access!

My picks:

MEP Math http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/

Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl (Available as a download on google play or www.archive.org)

Or SF Grammar and composition at http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

MacMillan/McGraw-Hill Interactive Science text, workbook, and lab activities http://www.mhschool.com/instructional_materials/ca/fwo.html

This Country of Ours is a free download at www.archive.org or google play for American history, or you might check out Project Gutenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org/ for some other history and literature books to download. They also have some fun reading books there for kids as well as some classic children's lit too.

The Story of Mankind by Van Loon is a great history book too and it is on www.gutenberg.org for download.

Honestly I am not sure. My dream was having curriculum for the year, LOL. I am also piecing together things for our older ones: 7th, 9th, and 10th grades. The youngest was the one I had the least for.

I am still lacking in higher math, science, and literature/English. I was hoping to get more from the library on these topics. My dream would be to have these in an organized program rather than having a different library book for each skill that needs addressing.

Honestly, beyond that I haven't researched a whole lot of programs to know what to ask for. Most cost too much to consider especially when multiplied by four. I would love anything that we could get that could be used multiple times. My children all love to read and would thrive with any program like that. Books in our house are read until they fall apart.

Read alouds work well as downloads, if a mom has a ebook reader, but otherwise, downloads aren't always so good for lower income families. Printing is expensive unless you have an expensive printer. :lol:

Low income keeps things eventful. There are always breakdowns and changes and adaptions and all sorts of unexpected problems. And everything gets backed up needing to be attended to all at once. And one thing cannot be fixed or attended to, until three other things are taken care of first.

Whenever possible, I recommend hardcopies for lower income.

I have stuff for higher and middle grades that we are not going to use. Awhile back I was in a very similar situation and several people from here sent boxes of stuff to my home. I would love to pay that forward. Can you PM me with a list of what subjects you still need books for? Just list them all!! I have boxes of stuff sitting in my storage building I would be glad to send you.

lol, this is how i HSled for almost 2 decades. 50-75 a yr. sometimes that was all for the 3 kids, not per kid...just wait till high skl levels--impossible just about, to HS on a budget. i just knew that they were getting better eds than institutional skl, regardless. and wat they werent getting was priceless. it made me rly work hard, true. but theyve all gone to college so i guess they were ok :)

I've graduated 2 boys. Some years we had money, but most we didn't. I did NOT do a better job when we had more money. In fact it was the other way around.

When money was tight and I didn't have that traditionally expected curricula, I used to PANIC though, thinking that curricula would fix every problem and open every door.

When we had money and the traditionally expected curricula, I felt guilty and worried for other reasons. The boys were passive resistant and surly and not getting all that door opening stuff done. We battled more. I might not have had the moments of panic, but the low level worry was relentless.

I felt like a failure when we had stuff. I felt like a failure when we didn't.

I know little about direct entry into a selective 4 year college, but I've seen a lot of junior college and transfer to 4 year colleges with the people I know. As long as a student starts off at a junior college, homeschooling on a low income is NOT the problem people MAKE it to be. There are no hoops to run through. No tricks. No tests to prep for. Just the 3Rs and good books. Easy Peasy, and plenty of time to attend to the basic survival issues of living on a low income.

Despite the fact that upward mobility is decreasing, homeschooling parents have it in their heads that upward mobility is the default goal, and anything less than that is failure and child neglect. Preparation for a selective 4 year college using traditional classroom methods has become the default for a whole bunch of kids that will not be pursuing that option. It makes no sense.

The years I was a strong Christian, I didn't worry so much. I believed as long as I used what I was given, God would take care of the big picture, making sure my boys had what they needed. Looking back, they got what they needed, and all that worry was for NOTHING, and did us all a lot of harm and was of no benefit. The gifts that people gave me didn't help me homeschool better, BUT they were gifts of love, and that love shown to me was priceless. And it taught me that money wouldn't help my boys, but I needed to find that out for myself first hand.

Here are some things to think about for those of you who are Christians.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matt 11:30.

Hebrew vs Greek Education

12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12. Words spoken by the supposedly wisest man ever.

So ladies, DO gift each other, spread the love, and "pay it forward", but rest that money doesn't make for a better education in the LONG run. And sometimes it can hamper things. Too many gifts makes for clutter. Educational clutter and clutter in the home. But, it can initially be a fun problem to experience, especially on those first glorious box days. :hurray: And then the receiver can start paying it forward. :lol:

• 1 month later...

our library system charges a *DOLLAR* P.E.R. bk! even for libraries within our system. so this is quickly unaffordable.

Ha! Ours is $5/book, whether they find it or not  :huh: ! Hence it is cheaper to buy used on Amazon :glare:

Oh, thank you so much for your wonderful ideas!! I know you don't know our family, but this feels like so much support that I need right now. I will look into all of the suggestions posted. Thank you SO much, truly, from the bottom of my heart.

In many states the virtual schools will send you a computer and help pay your Internet costs.