Menu

If you were doing a curriculum show for a secular group, what would you include?

Mostly in the main academic areas, K-12, with a lot of focus on K-6?

I'd like to get it down to a reasonable number of options. I suspect we could fill multiple rooms easily with so much different stuff to give everyone brain freeze.

I'm thinking:

Math-

Elementary-

Singapore

Saxon

Math Mammoth

Horizons

MUS

Miquon

Right Start

Secondary

LOF

Teaching Textbooks

Saxon

Jacob's

Lial's

AOPS

LA-Elementary

Shurley

Rod and Staff

FLL/ILL

MCT LA

Hake???

Secondary???

Literature based-

Sonlight IG

Ambleside Online

Jr. Great Books

Moving Beyond the page

Learning Language Arts through lIterature

Secondary-

Lightning literature

Writing-

WWE

IEW

Bravewriter

History

SOTW

Hakim

Sonlight IG

Various trade books

Science-

Real Science for Kids

Singapore Science

Apologia

Maybe some various kits and stuff like that (I have Thane and Kosmos physics, for example)

Box programs-

Oak Meadow

K-12 (State VA-I know we have a couple of families who use it, so I'm hoping they'll bring in some samples for me)

Teacher resource books-

Best picks for homeschool curriculum

Well trained Mind (multiple editions?)

Maybe John Holt?

Should I include any other subjects? I have a TON of stuff for Latin, for example (I am the sponsor for our group's Latin club/study group, and have collected copies of almost every curriculum out there)-but I'm not sure how many new homeschoolers do it, and I don't want to overwhelm them. What about art? Music?

We'll also have information about our group's classes and activities as well as what's available in the community for homeschoolers.

Neither Sonlight nor Apologia have struck me as particularly secular-friendly. Are you hoping to provide a broad survey of program options regardless of how secular they may or may not be?

For science, there's also BFSU that might prove appealing to some, particularly because it's so inexpensive.

Do you have Beast Academy? It might be interesting for new homeschoolers to take a peek at that one because it's visually so different.

And MEP might also be interesting because it's such an excellent program and is free.

Elementary Math - Math in Focus

Science - Mr. Q, the biology curriculum is a free download

Teacher books - maybe some E.D. Hirsch books, What Your ____ Needs to Know, Books to Build On, or The Knowledge Deficit. Or you could just print some lists from the Core Knowledge website.

Math - AOPS has elementary math now

History/Lit - History Odyssey from Pandia press, all ages

Art - Artistic Pursuits, all ages

Definitely include the Latin and the science kits. A lot of people wonder about labs and languages. Also, for high school, people are always curious about getting electives in, so if you have anything along those lines people would probably appreciate it. What Color is Your Parachute? for Teens is a good one for Career Exploration. Do you have Joy Hakim's The Story of Science books? Those are interesting & something public schools usually don't offer.

I really don't think you'd want to include Apologia if your target audience is secular. Some of the other non-secular items on your list can be used in a secular way, but you just can't do that with Apologia, IMO.

A few more ideas: Elemental Science, Wordly Wise Vocabulary, Garlic Press (grammar/diagramming, literature), Mark Kistler (drawing)

Elementary/middle school LA:

Voyages in English

Middle school LA:

WWS

Analytical Grammar

Vocabulary Workshop

Logic:

Blast Off With Logic series (Logic Liftoff, etc.)

Critical Thinking Company workbooks

Secondary math:

regular texts such as Foerster's Algebra 1, Dolciani, etc.

There are so many possibilities...

Not Apologia, not R&S.

National Writing Institute (Writing Strands, Reading Strands)

Educators Publishing Service, which does Wordly Wise, the Stewart English Program, Ridgewood English, Explode the Code, Spellwell, Mathematics Made Meaningful, and more.

I believe Modern Curriculum Press is secular.

It still makes me twitch to see Oak Meadow and others referred to as "box curriculum," lol. Couldn't you call it something like full-service publisher? Or distance learning? (You can enroll with Oak Meadow in addition to buying the materials.) "Box curriculum" is really not very descriptive.

Common Sense Press, publisher of Learning Language Arts Through Literature and Wordsmith

Noeo Science

I think finding good secfular science and history is the hardest. Having a wide selection of those would be essential. I also agree to leave out Apologia, Sonlight, and possibly Rod and Staff (I don't know much about it, but the title leads me to believe it's not secular). I haven't seen CTT included yet and he has courses in most topics except math I believe.

LoF isn't entirely secular, is it? I think there were some Bible references in there? We use it loosely to supplement Singapore, as my son finds it fun, but as a secular HSer there are things that stand out to me as not entirely secular.

Singapore, AoPS, Miquon, MCT, Mr. Q, Critical Thinking through Science, WWE, all come to mind.

Apologia, Sonlight, Rod and Staff, Life of Fred, and Real Science for Kids would not make a list of "secular" materials. No way!

And I'm not too sure about MUS, Ambelside, or IEW.

I would include: Beast Academy, MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), and Math-in-Focus.

For Middle School US History I would include The Drama of American History as an alternative to Hakim.

Bill

The reason I listed them is that I know we have multiple people in our group already using them and adapting them, so I can get samples easily-and I know that for high school, especially, a lot of people seem to go to Apologia because of a lack of options.

The reason I listed them is that I know we have multiple people in our group already using them and adapting them, so I can get samples easily-and I know that for high school, especially, a lot of people seem to go to Apologia because of a lack of options.

I get that. Homeschool-friendly secular science is hard to find. But as a secular homeschooler, I'd rather my high-schooler use good, introductory college textbooks for non-science majors than use Apologia in high school. Maybe something like that (a college text) could be included in your options as an alternative for them to see.

Moving Beyond the Page is popular amongst secular folks, I'd be sure to include that and BFSU.

And examples of lot of books that often are suggested as options, things like Horrible Science and Horrible History, One Small Square, things like that. At our local homeschooling curric night, those were things people were really happy to see in person.

I have BA, but I have a hard time recommending it right now because of the "third grade and no other" thing-it's more a supplement at this point than a true option as a math series. AOPS starting a Pre-Algebra, yes-and I'll bring my Pre-Algebra and Beginning Algebra books.

I can pretty easily get college chem and physics books-any recommendations? I

Oh...ACS chemistry in the community!

Echoing in the others to say absolutely not to Apologia. I'm a pretty conservative Christian and I won't use them. Rod and Staff may be worth including. I think they have a fair amount of inexpensive basics that aren't too obnoxiously religious. Their prices make them worth considering even though they are certainly not ideal for a secular audience.

What about Essentials in Writing, Calvert, All About Spelling/Reading, Handwriting Without Tears, Artistic Pursuits, or NOEO science? Is Nancy Larson Science secular? I'd include the activity books to go with SOTW. Is there a good secular elementary appropriate United States History?

You could add in Calvert as an all-in-one curriculum. How about CPO and Science Explorer for science? They're MS texts, but could work for 4th and 5th grades. The Harcourt Science textbooks that Kolbe uses could work, you can get those for a penny used on Amazon. Human Odyssey and the World in Ancient Times by OUP are both good, secular history options. You could also recommend Galore Park for 2nd grade and up.

Campbell's Biology is a classic.

Bill

I second Campbell. We used it in our 111 & 112 classes in college. I enjoyed reading it and still have my copy which I whip out to review things or to pull out more info from to supplement BFSU for the girls.

Also, for middle school level, there are the holt science books (I didn't see them linked, but only skimmed this thread, so apologies if someone's already linked them) I've never used them, maybe someone else can chime in with whether they're good or not:

http://forums.welltr...-workbooks-pdf/

:)

Edited to add: MUS is not secular, the songs from the CD reference bible stories.

Peace Hill Press & WTM

Educators Publishing Service

Evan Moor

Prufrock Press

Critical Thinking

all sorts of logic books

Cuisenaire rods, because they are one manipulative I don't see much in schools

Delta Science in a Nutshell kits

TOPS Science

AOPS

HITW -- but chooses a lapbook that is not religious, i.e. composers rather than American history, or use state maps and notebooking pages

Draw Write Now

HWT

Mapping the World by Heart -- is it secular??????

Holt Science & Technology

Science Fusion

Barton Reading

Visualizing & Verbalizing

SM, with the extra books on the SM website (like Visible Thinking)

Let's Read & Find Out

You Wouldn't Want to....

Rebecca Rupp's Complete Home Learning Sourcebook

No to Apologia, Sonlight, R&S

Dancing Bears. Apples & Pears (same company - Sound Foundations)

Konos (I'm planning to use this secularly, surprised Ellie didn't mention it!)

Fitzroy Readers (Australian Readers, but I've heard of a few US people using them)

Mott Media's stuff (another not completely secular, but more because of the time the stuff was written in, and a lot of people use their stuff Ray's Arithmetic, McGuffey Primers, etc)

Zaner Bloser. D'Nealian. Handwriting without Tears.

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. Nebel's Elementary Education.

TOPs Science

LivingMath.net?

Math on the Level. Kitchen Table Math.

Math-

Elementary-

Singapore

Prentice Hall

Miquon

Keys To

Horizons is iffy.

Secondary

Jacob's

McDougal-Littell (MIddle School Math 1,2,3, Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, etc.

LA-Elementary

Spelling Workout

Easy Grammar

Editor in Chief

Secondary

Saidler Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

History

Hakim

The World in Ancient Times

Not Sonlight.

Science-

Prentice Hall Science Explorer (late elementary, middle school)

Box programs-

Oak Meadow

Calvert

The curriculum lists here are pretty complete:

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/217-secular-homeschool-curriculum/

I agree with others that including Apologia would be just plain wrong. I know some people adapt it, but... I guess I think if it's an event specifically for secular homeschoolers, you should encourage them not to.

Definitely include RSO and History Odyssey. And BFSU.

I would say also include a couple of examples of logic books from Prufrock Press and Tin Man Press.

Biozone modular worktexts are great for alternative high school science classes. And they are VERY cheap as in under $15 per title. Each book is between 100 and 250 pages. http://www.biozone.co.nz/modular.php

Titles include:

Evolution

Human Evolution

Environmental Science

Ecology

Health and Disease

Anatomy and Physiology

Cell Biology and Biochemistry

Microbiology and Biotechnology

Genes and Inheritance

Although I've not used it and could be wrong (will use it this fall), IEW seems to put a special cross mark (+) next to things that have Christian content. But the initial reading books don't have that marking nor "most" of the actual writing instruction so I am assuming what I get will be secular. I am a Christian, actually, but don't think it needs to enter into writing instruction. I am also doctrinally conservative on the major doctrines (like in the Apostle' Creed) and pretty liberal on the other things, so I don't like Christian right influenced history, science, etc. Finally, I'm a pacifist so history that glorifies violence is not a good match period for me. So I would come to your curriculum show if I could! Also, I'm told that Spectrum Chemistry (high school) has a minimum of Christian stuff -- a couple of pages on evolution vs. creation at the end that it is easier to just skip (cuz, like, who could address all that in 2 pages anyway?) and a mention of God as creator one or two times. So, we are trying it this fall. It wouldn't be a good match for an atheist or free thinker who feels besieged by Christian culture but for the person who feels more comfortable saying "that's his opinion but the rest is science" it might be okay. I should be receiving it any day and will report. I also don't know how much Christian stuff is in their parent company's other science materials (for younger kids). I can't stand Apologia although I will say my respect went up a tiny bit for Wile when I heard he stood for Peter Enns against Ken Ham. For a variety of subjects, McDougal Littell has a particularly nice website for students and teachers in classzone.com and I have used some of their books. BTW, I almost decided to use Zumdahl (secular) for chemistry ala Let's Not Burn Down the House but I decided we needed a more relaxing year. You know, in the early days of homeschooling, a curriculum fair consisted of homeschoolers bringing copies of the curriculum they used for other people to look at. If you aren't into making money with a fair, you could have a little of each. Vendors and people bringing things Vendors don't bring that they like -- for example, we often use online reading guides for books and we just used the Sonnets Unit on Folger.edu. They also have guides for all of Shakespeare's stuff and what I've looked at is pretty good. Or, people could bring the less obviously Christian things they've used and give the pros and cons. As an aside, I often visit a forum of egalitarian Christians (egalitarian is Christianese for non-patriarchal/feminist) who have a high view of scripture (in Christenese, that means they believe it really is God's communication in narrative form and is useful in life). There has been much talk of what it would look like if we tried to crash a Christian curriculum fair with a egalitarian booth with items on family life from an egal point of view. We decided it wouldn't be pretty, esp. after the Peter Enns thing. Oh, well, I still may try it sometime. Sorry, I really do understand the use of paragraphs but for some reason, the computer is not allowing me to use them!

All subjects:

Galore Park

Intellego unit studies

Oak Meadow

Calvert

K12

Five in a Row (if you add your own phonics, math and handwriting)

What Your __ Grader Needs to Know (more a resource than curriculum)

Moving Beyond the Page

Science:

Ellen McHenry

GEMS (Great Explorations in Math and Science)

The Complete Book of Science

History/Geography:

Story of the World

The Complete Book of US History

The Complete Book of Maps and Geography

Mapping the World with Art

Calvert world history (uses CHOW)

The Human Odyssey (middle grades)

Phonics:

Bear Necessities

Dancing Bears

ABeCeDarian

Jolly Phonics

The Writing Road to Reading

OPGTR

AAR

Spelling:

AAS

Apples & Pears

Agreeing with others that SL and Apologia are not secular. Nor is AO.

Sorry, I really do understand the use of paragraphs but for some reason, the computer is not allowing me to use them!

As an aside, Lindi, for you & others having the same problem with not being able to use the "enter" key, if you're using Internet Explorer, try a different browser like Firefox or Chrome (both free). See thread below: Apparently there was an update recently so IE in conjunction with some forums has problems with the enter key. I switched to Firefox and now no problems!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/464401-any-special-reason-i-cant-use-the-enter-button-when-writing-a-post-or-message/

Rainbow Science for middle school has worked very well for us as a secular curriculum. It has to be slightly adapted regarding evolution, but the remainder is 100% secular and the tiny amount that is not is super easily worked with.

Nancy Larson Science is 100% secular and very good.

I've seen no one mention Starline Press work texts, which are inexpensive and well done.

For those who want the basics, and a lower reading level text I highly recommend Walch Education's Power Basics, which has history, science and a too basic language arts course, but the science and history are well done and fully secular for lower level high school learners.

For Elementary Lit - Mosdos Press is #1! Super texts!! Along with that, for high school I recommend TextWord's Implications of Literature series...much better than standard texts, with clearer presentation.

Geography - Trail Guide to US Geography and Trail Guide to World Geography

IXLMath as an online resource.

Time4Learning for another online resource for K-8 all subjects

Sex Ed - Our Whole Lives, a fully 100% secular curriculum published by the Unitarian Universalist Church and the United Church of Christ, very well done and in depth.

Apologia, Sonlight, Rod and Staff, Life of Fred, and Real Science for Kids would not make a list of "secular" materials. No way!

And I'm not too sure about MUS, Ambelside, or IEW.

I would include: Beast Academy, MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme), and Math-in-Focus.

For Middle School US History I would include The Drama of American History as an alternative to Hakim.

Bill

I agree very strongly with Bill's list. In fact, the inclusion of Apologia, Sonlight, Rod and and Staff and RSfK are downright offensive to secular sensibilities. (I've not ever seen LoF, so no comment there).

A secular option you are missing, though, is Calvert, but they are only K-8.

I twentieth no to Apologia. I have read the elementary anatomy book, and it has an entire chapter on why evolution is wrong. I believe it even has explanations like, "Why do you have red blood cells? Because God wants you to!" I cannot make that explanation secular.

Fred I could put in a secular show, at least the upper-level series. From Fractions on up, there is really nothing to fuss over unless you really are upset by the dedication page or an occasional passing reference-- if you never, ever read a fiction book where a character prays, for instance (say, "Game of Thrones", where there are multiple religions being practiced on nearly every page and people praying left and right)-- then you might be offended by it. But it certainly is not a book *about* religion; it remains a book about math. The elementary series I would agree tend to be a bit more preachy, and you could go either way.

The NOEO chemistry has nothing omitted from it that would mark it as non-secular. I have not evaluated physics. It is annoying that they ducked and covered on natural selection and evolution in bio.

For art-- we have been having a grand time with Meet the Masters. Previously we enjoyed Mark Kistler.

For young kids, the Beethoven's Wig CD series is a hit. My kids can identify a lot of classical pieces and composers thanks to that set, and even pick out some sound styles, from sheer repetition. A poster explaining the Classics for Kids podcast would be awesome, too. Those short, weekly podcasts are packed with information!

I second the Campbell bio text for high school, and suggest Strachan and Reade for anyone with an interest in genetics-- there are few better.

Yes, even though we don't use it, AoPS should be present for math, along with Math Mammoth, Singapore, Fred, Dolciani, Lial, Foerster, Hands on Equations, Tobey and Slater. Awareness poster for apps such as Dragonbox, HoE, whatever Rocketmath became, Marblemath, etc.

Memrise could be demonstrated if you have a PC available with an Internet connection. (Memrise.com)

Lively Latin, Minimus, Usborne Easy German could be added to the languages area.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to have the non-secular stuff at a secular-oriented show as long as it is absolutely clear that the material is non-secular, it has a large secular following/can be easily secularized, the people presenting the material are actual people that use it in a secular manner (ie. not vendors from the curriculum company), and secular material is well-represented overall.

If I'm going to a curriculum show, I want to see what is out there. I am highly unlikely to go to a show with a blatantly religious orientation. Therefore, I'd view being able to see things like LoF and the Sonlight IG, which are not secular but commonly used by secular homeschoolers, firsthand as a major plus. But if I come with the expectation that all resources are secular and accidentally bought a religious curriculum based on that (especially something like RS4K, where the religious bias is relatively subtle), I'd be upset.

Just making sure Hewitt's Conceptual Physics is on the list for late logic\early rhetoric science. Super excellent book that covers the material well with minimal math. It is widely used in brick and mortar schools, and is a complete program with a lab manual too.

Singapore science was mentioned? We've used their O-level biology and it's very good, though topically is light on genetics and biochem compared to many American hs bio programs-one reason I liked it.

Rosetta Stone and Mango languages. Cambridge and Galore Park latin programs.