Menu

Talk to Me About Kool-Aid

I was looking at Kool-Aid the other day for a party I will be hosting soon. Does anyone drink it?

We do (but with only 3/4 cup of sugar)

Do you mix the flavors?

No, but I do add real lemons to the lemonade.

Do you add anything to it? Does it freeze well into popsicles?

I didn't know there was any other way to make them :drool:

What about ice? Should I make some in advance and freeze it as ice so it does not water down the jug?

It usually doesn't last long enough for the ice to melt around here, but if you are worried, just add less water when you make it.

http://sceleratusclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/2012/11/best-kid-party-drink-ever.html

I got this idea off of Pinterest. We turned the kool aid into ice cubes (start doing this several days before hand) and use them to flavor and color sprite. We mixed different colors/flavors together to get different results. The adults loved it, too. My favorite combo was cherry and lemonade.

Homemade Lemonade: 1 part lemon juice, 1 part sugar, 6 1/2 parts water. Combine, stir, serve.

I tend to use the bottled lemon juice, as it's easy to keep on hand.

No food coloring, no artificial anything, no chemical aftertaste, easy to make for parties, cheap, everyone loves it.

Doesn't dye wool or hair or playdough though.

Some of my kids have had it maybe twice in their lives, and only as a "Look what Mom and Dad used to drink" kind of thing. It would not occur to me to serve it as a party drink, and definitely not if I could expect many little people to be running around my house with what is close to permanent dye!

Whatever you decide to serve here's a hint a friend shared with me. Maybe you already know this but I didn't. Use small cups and only fill them halfway. Kids at parties tend not to drink the whole cup of beverage and can always get more if they do. And if it spills there is less to clean up.

Enjoy your party!

Guest submarines

All jokes aside, so many people can't drink it because of the dyes and flavorings. Honestly, I'd just avoid it.

I don't know anyone in our homeschooling group who'd be okay with their kids drinking this stuff.