Menu

Big explosions at finish of Boston marathon...

Stacia

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's not the New York Times. Isn't the New York Post basically a tabloid? And yes, I did go to the link so I knew exactly what the source was.

I don't live on the east coast. I just know the NYtimes isn't what is used to be.

Mommymilkies-one concern that was out there isthe combo of a date linked to other domestic events, and then there were people brought in from Newtown and seated in the viewing stands.

ABC is reporting ATF is at Brigham questioning one *possible* suspect:

ATF agents have descended on Brigham and Women's where they’re questioning 1 POTENTIAL person of interest #wcvb

This is truly a horrible tragedy. I just want to say that if there does turn out to be any truth to the Saudi national story that I am a practicing Muslim and I consider myself a more conservative one and I absolutely loathe that there is anyone who claims to ascribe to my faith who would do such a thing and believe it to be something that would be worthy of a reward in our religion. We are all so sick of having such atrocities committed by sick individuals and of them hijacking our religion to do so. My condolences to everyone whose families have been affected by such acts. Truly, truly disturbing.

I don't want this to turn political, but what in the world do you mean?

I don't really understand what you're asking? Some people where I am are wondering if it's a coincidence that the last mile was dedicated to the Newtown victims, and that the terrorists chose that exact location to create chaos and death. Nobody really knows what's going on right now, but there is all sorts of conjecture all over the place.

I don't really understand what you're asking? Some people where I am are wondering if it's a coincidence that the last mile was dedicated to the Newtown victims, and that the terrorists chose that exact location to create chaos and death. Nobody really knows what's going on right now, but there is all sorts of conjecture all over the place.

I think speculating at this point would be a mistake. When the OKC Bombing occurred people were expecting it to be Islamic extremists. That wasn't the case. One trash newspaper has already reported that it was a Saudi national. I don't think assigning blame before more information is gathered is appropriate.

I think speculating at this point would be a mistake. When the OKC Bombing occurred people were expecting it to be Islamic extremists. That wasn't the case. One trash newspaper has already reported that it was a Saudi national. I don't think assigning blame before more information is gathered is appropriate.

What I love about this one is that Twitter is awash with people attacking Fox news as being the one that reported it was a Saudi national - and they hadn't even done it.

I think assigning politics and trash to someone without facts is pretty bad too.

This is horrifying WHOEVER did it. I don't care if it was from one side of the spectrum, to the other side of the world. Whoever did it is sick, twisted, and I hope they pay for what they've done.

I have NO TOLERANCE for violence on innocents.

What I love about this one is that Twitter is awash with people attacking Fox news as being the one that reported it was a Saudi national - and they hadn't even done it.

From CBS News twitter feed

CBS News â€@CBSNews48m

JUST IN: @JohnMillerCBS reports that individual is in custody after Boston blast, a Saudi national. Reported cooperative/denies involvement.

Mommymilkies-one concern that was out there isthe combo of a date linked to other domestic events, and then there were people brought in from Newtown and seated in the viewing stands.

ABC is reporting ATF is at Brigham questioning one *possible* suspect:

ATF agents have descended on Brigham and Women's where they’re questioning 1 POTENTIAL person of interest #wcvb

I was referring to the comment that this was done to prove something about gun control. I can't see either side bombing innocent people to prove a point about gun control and I have absolutely no idea what was meant by that. Did the poster mean that pro-gun control people did this to prove something or the pro-gun freedom people do it to prove something? My brain just can't wrap itself around either theory.

My niece is an elite runner who finished long before the explosions. Nonetheless I freaked out thinking about her little boy cheering his Mom on at the finish line.

Ugh...a friend' s daughter was at the finish with fellow students about 30 minutes before the explosions, cheering on their friend. This group of students is particularly upset at the moment. I think they need some prayers and good thoughts if anyone has extra to spare.

From CBS News twitter feed

CBS News â€@CBSNews48m

JUST IN: @JohnMillerCBS reports that individual is in custody after Boston blast, a Saudi national. Reported cooperative/denies involvement.

That makes my point, doesn't it? Someone tried to use a false report and tie it to Fox News to slam Fox news, yet it was untrue. Fox news did not report it first.

Ugh...a friend' s daughter was at the finish with fellow students about 30 minutes before the explosions, cheering on their friend. This group of students is particularly upset at the moment. I think they need some prayers and good thoughts if anyone has extra to spare.

This is the most important thing right now - and you've got it. I am praying for them and anyone else affected by this tragedy.

I wasn't rebutting?

I was just stating that CBS is reporting that a Saudi National is in custody.

We're talking around each other then. All Good.

Oh - except that I was trying to post on another thread and got booted as a security threat to WTM!!! I think it was because I said a$$hole. I'm not going to try that one again! LOL

Ok hang on. Erik Rush a Fox News Contributor is tweeting that all Muslims should be killed.

No, he was saying "Hey, the radical muslims want us all to die. How about if WE say all Muslims should be killed"...Totally taken out of context. There was more to that tweet before and after. I went to his twitter feed and read it.

I can tell you this; I can't believe the absolutely disgusting nature of some of the tweets. I'll take the calmness of FB any day.

He's a radical and I don't espouse much if any of what he says, but this is not the totality of what he said.

Not that this is any better, but I am all for truth in reporting. He said this:

"Hypothesis proven: Libs responding to "kill them all" sarcasm neglect fact that their precious Islamists say the same about us EVERY DAY."

That makes my point, doesn't it? Someone tried to use a false report and tie it to Fox News to slam Fox news, yet it was untrue. Fox news did not report it first.

I clicked on the NY Post link a pp had up. The NY Post article said that according to Fox News... I went to the Fox News site, and it did say that a Saudi National was a person of interest. It looks like they have taken that down now.

I would like to think that the media has learned it's lesson after Newtown not to speculate or to run stories with "inside sources" that haven't been confirmed. I'm afraid that some of them haven't.

No, he was saying "Hey, the radical muslims want us all to die. How about if WE say all Muslims should be killed"...Totally taken out of context. There was more to that tweet before and after. I went to his twitter feed and read it.

I can tell you this; I can't believe the absolutely disgusting nature of some of the tweets. I'll take the calmness of FB any day.

He's a radical and I don't espouse much if any of what he says, but this is not the totality of what he said.

No.

I just took this screenshot of his twitter. I wrote on a little bit of it since I thought some may object to the F word.

https://twitter.com/erikrush

I clicked on the NY Post link a pp had up. The NY Post article said that according to Fox News... I went to the Fox News site, and it did say that a Saudi National was a person of interest. It looks like they have taken that down now.

I would like to think that the media has learned it's lesson after Newtown not to speculate or to run stories with "inside sources" that haven't been confirmed. I'm afraid that some of them haven't.

And Fox News said they got it from another source. They did not break it. That was all I was saying. I don't condone ANYONE jumping the gun.

I wasn't rebutting?

I was just stating that CBS is reporting that a Saudi National is in custody.

I think people should be cautious about accepting news reports of anyone in custody even if they turn out to be true. Remember Richard Jewell and the Olympic Park bombing in Atlanta. He was innocent and the media was all over him for being named a person of interest.

Situations such as these, I've learned not to listen to the newscasters speculations or erroneous reports. The news blurs too much these days. I'll wait to find out what happened when law enforcement does their conference.

Right now, my thoughts are towards those that were injured and their families and on everyone there getting home safely.

Yes, that's why I have the news OFF right now. I only went on to social media to check the Eric jerk's twitter feed...

I will wait until the dust settles and we have more information. I can't sit and watch the same news loop over and over with pundits guessing what's going on...

Honestly I think it would be implausible to pick up a suspect at the scene of the blast. If it was a suicide bomber, that person would be very dead. And if the bomb was triggered remotely, they would not be near the scene, and certainly not in the purview of police attending to victims. I hope this wasn't just a victim who just happened to be saudi, who is automatically being considered a "suspect."

As far as my armchair detective opinion, I think a domestic terrorist would want to hit a target with more symbolic value, like a government building or event, and not participants in a "pleasure" event.

Of course the location of boston could be symbolic in terms of the American Revolution.

"BOSTON (AP) — Authorities say bombs that exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon have killed two people and injured more than 120.

Eight hospitals report that they are treating at least 124 people. Of those, at least 15 are in critical condition." (link, updated 5pm PST)

Lets just hope all the injured recover.

I hope this wasn't just a victim who just happened to be saudi, who is automatically being considered a "suspect."

CBS has more - apparently some yahoo thought the 20 yro was acting suspicious, with no specifics, (after the blast? was he running away? like almost everyone else?) and ran him down and tackled him until police came.

It was the one thing I found inconsistent - if these bombs were cell phone remote detonated that authorities shut down cell service in boston - you'd think the perp would be well clear of the area.

there is also dispute as to whether the fire at the JFK library was part or simply coincidence. One report said it was an electrical fire.

I watched CNN International for about one hour tonight (Directv Colombia dropped Fox News one year ago). They have a "suspect of interest". He is in a hospital, badly burned. They have no idea if this is a result of foreign terrorism or domestic terrorism at this time. It is possible that the devices were IED's. The surgeons have been pulling ball bearings out of victims. This was a horrible event and we are praying for the victims and their families. I hope and pray those responsible will be identified and then captured or killed.

Just heard the police commissioner on the Ch. 5 news in Boston. He said that there is no suspect. He said that a lot of stations have been reporting that there's a suspect at Brigham and Women's Hospital, but that's false. The police wouldn't comment on specifics, but said that it's an active, ongoing investigation.

Sue

Just heard the police commissioner on the Ch. 5 news in Boston. He said that there is no suspect. He said that a lot of stations have been reporting that there's a suspect at Brigham and Women's Hospital, but that's false. The police wouldn't comment on specifics, but said that it's an active, ongoing investigation.

Sue

That's why I always try to wait for the Police report of the incident.

I don't live on the east coast. I just know the NYtimes isn't what is used to be.

Oh. So maybe if you don't know the difference between a tabloid and one of the most reputable newspapers in the world, don't accuse people of not even clicking on links before responding to posts?

It is just a sore spot for me when people cite "facts" that, once they are out there, are almost impossible to take back.