Menu

The doorbell just rang.

Lawana

Not the doorbell to my house, but the one used by MIL to signal she needed something. Only it wasn't MIL ringing, it was BIL, messing around. MIL is dying. She is unconscious and can't ring. Her other son and his adult daughter are here to be with her as she passes.

The flood of feeling associated with the sound of the bell was overwhelming. Instantly, all the times I had responded to her requests to be taken to the bathroom, to have fresh orange juice, cold ice packs, to reheat her coffee, to change her pajamas because she had drooled all over herself in her sleep, came rushing back into my memory, with as much, if not more, force than when they had originally happened.

I!m getting rid of that damn bell.

:grouphug:

I am so very, very sorry Lawana.

And tell your BIL to knock it off with the bell. :glare: I'm sure he didn't mean any harm and was probably just trying to lighten the mood, but you should definitely let him know it upsets you to hear it.

Oh no Lawana. I so understand what you are saying. My dad was in bed today. He is in his last days and it is so hard. Hoping that you and your family find peace and comfort during this time. It sounds like you have been a wonderful caretaker.

Thank you, Laurel. I wish you peace with your journey also.

I am so sorry. So much stress surrounding end of life. I can't imagine the visceral reaction to hearing that go off.

If it makes you feel any better, I totally thought it was going to be the meat truck.

Thank you. Yes, stress. And tomorrow is my mother and ds's birthday. No fooling. Please don't let her die on my son's birthday.

I don't have a gift for my mother yet. Where is the meat truck when you need it most!

Thank you. Yes, stress. And tomorrow is my mother and ds's birthday. No fooling. Please don't let her die on my son's birthday.

I don't have a gift for my mother yet. Where is the meat truck when you need it most!

This reminds me of a strange occurance we had in my family. About the same time my FIL, MIL, and DH's grandmother all ended up in a nursing home. FIL was in the worst shape and he died in May. We had to schedule his funeral for the day after DD's 5th birthday. His grandmother's funeral was the day before DD's 6th birthday. In April of the next year we knew MIL was dying. I felt like the worst DIL in the world but I prayed that God took her quickly because it was getting really close to DD's 7th birthday and the poor thing had mentioned that she really hoped there wouldn't be any funerals during her birthday anymore.

It's pretty morbid but DH and I laugh so much when we look back at those pictures and see DD with a stack of presents and birthday cake at the kitchen table and there are all these funeral flower arrangement behind her and her little friends. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

This reminds me of a strange occurance we had in my family. About the same time my FIL, MIL, and DH's grandmother all ended up in a nursing home. FIL was in the worst shape and he died in May. We had to schedule his funeral for the day after DD's 5th birthday. His grandmother's funeral was the day before DD's 6th birthday. In April of the next year we knew MIL was dying. I felt like the worst DIL in the world but I prayed that God took her quickly because it was getting really close to DD's 7th birthday and the poor thing had mentioned that she really hoped there wouldn't be any funerals during her birthday anymore.

It's pretty morbid but DH and I laugh so much when we look back at those pictures and see DD with a stack of presents and birthday cake at the kitchen table and there are all these funeral flower arrangement behind her and her little friends. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Your experience was quite interesting, because this is the second time it is happening to ds also. 3 years ago, my grandmother died on March 27. So dd, ds and myself flew to my hometown for the funeral. The viewing was on ds's and dm's birthday, with the funeral being the next day. We celebrated Easter Sunday the following day. There must be a special club for those kids who experience multiple deaths near their birthday.

Your experience was quite interesting, because this is the second time it is happening to ds also. 3 years ago, my grandmother died on March 27. So dd, ds and myself flew to my hometown for the funeral. The viewing was on ds's and dm's birthday, with the funeral being the next day. We celebrated Easter Sunday the following day. There must be a special club for those kids who experience multiple deaths near their birthday.

My son was born just hours before my dad passed on the same day. My dad, with his ironic sense of humor would have thought this hilarious. I recall once when I was a teen, we had come home from a funeral and he said. "When I die, just throw a big party. Don't have a funeral for me." We did have a nice memorial service, and every year on that day we have cake! He would have loved this.

Well, she is gone. 22 minutes before ds's birthday. RIP

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

So sorry for your loss.