Menu

Weird baby name question...

Our oldest is the oldest of all the grandkids. Since he's been born there have been about 30 cousins, step-cousins, etc. added to the family. All our favorite names are taken.

We have a one-syllable last name that is very similar sounding to the last syllable of a few of our new favorite boy names (don't know if the new babe will be a boy or girl). Would that be too weird? Not only would there be a repetition in the syllable sound when his full name was spoken, but if he went with a shortened version of his name with his last name, it would sound just like his first name.

For instance, assume our last name is Yum (it isn't), and we wished to name a son William. He would be called William Yum or Will Yum. :D

OK...am I over-analyzing this? Would he be destined to life as a homeschooler due to the teasing he would receive in the real world? :tongue_smilie:

We are NOT doing well in the baby name department right now. DH and I both have personal favorites that the other dislikes profusely. DH thinks we should just use some of the other names we liked even though they've since been "taken" by other family members. I want my child to have his/her "own" name. Hopefully we'll get it figured out sometime during the next 13 weeks.

So, what do you think?

:bigear:

Our oldest is the oldest of all the grandkids. Since he's been born there have been about 30 cousins, step-cousins, etc. added to the family. All our favorite names are taken.

We have a one-syllable last name that is very similar sounding to the last syllable of a few of our new favorite boy names (don't know if the new babe will be a boy or girl). Would that be too weird? Not only would there be a repetition in the syllable sound when his full name was spoken, but if he went with a shortened version of his name with his last name, it would sound just like his first name.

For instance, assume our last name is Yum (it isn't), and we wished to name a son William. He would be called William Yum or Will Yum. :D

OK...am I over-analyzing this? Would he be destined to life as a homeschooler due to the teasing he would receive in the real world? :tongue_smilie:

We are NOT doing well in the baby name department right now. DH and I both have personal favorites that the other dislikes profusely. DH thinks we should just use some of the other names we liked even though they've since been "taken" by other family members. I want my child to have his/her "own" name. Hopefully we'll get it figured out sometime during the next 13 weeks.

So, what do you think?

:bigear:

Well, if you go that route, you'll be the subject of a "What were they THINKING??" thread on some message board years hence. :D

I wouldn't call a kid "Jason Sun," for example. It's just... not nice. IMO.

Can you pick a name that has already been used, but go with a different nickname? For instance, if her name is Elizabeth and there is already a Besty, you could call your daughter Bess, Liz, Beth, etc.

I think if the name you are thinking of is anything like William Yum, I'd skip it. Too much room for torture involved.

I have a second cousin Kathleen and we both go by Kathleen. It has never been a problem because she is 10 years older than I am.

Could you use one of the already 'taken' names, but with a slightly different spelling? (Lucas vs. Lukas, Mary vs. Mari, Katherine vs. Catherine, etc...). Or, perhaps take the name you like & pronounce it differently (the English pronunciation of Michael vs. the French version)?

I think the similar sounding first & last name might make it a bit of a tongue twister (or tongue tripper). Kwim? We have some friends & I swear they must not have tried saying their dd's name w/ their last name beforehand because it's a tongue-twister (at least for me). LOL. So, I'm not sure I recommend that route. ;)

I would rather see a duplicate name in the family circle than something like Will Yum. Care to share some of your choices? I love discussing baby names.

Names are tough and boys names even tougher! We just had our seventh baby -- fourth boy -- four months ago and we had quite a time coming up with something we agreed on. Like you, we each had a fave (mine was Jack, his Ezra) that the other didn't like. We settled on Axel (!) which we both now really like.

My daughter's name and my niece's daughter's name are the same. But my niece's daughter goes by both her first and middle name. (So it would be something like "Sally" and "Sally May". Could you use one of the in-use names that you like and call your son by his middle name too? (I know of a John-Samuel in real life.) Or you could make a unique nick-name (that isn't silly or demeaning).

The 4th "William" was just born into our family. Two go by "Bill", one goes by his middle name, and the newest one is called "Will". We also have three "Roberts" and two "Marys". I'd go with a name you love, and choose a different nickname. Or, just have two in your family with the same name. Would it really be that confusing?

Can you pick a name that has already been used, but go with a different nickname? For instance, if her name is Elizabeth and there is already a Besty, you could call your daughter Bess, Liz, Beth, etc.

I think if the name you are thinking of is anything like William Yum, I'd skip it. Too much room for torture involved.

:iagree: My niece's name is very similar to my sister's, and it has caused a lot of confusion. If she had a nickname that were very different, it would have alieviated the problem.

Definitely, don't give your dc a name that could lead to teasing! If you've already thought if it, you know some mean kid will, too!

Dh and I had a really hard time coming up with a boy's name for this baby, our fifth son, who is due any day. We basically finally decided last week!

At least we don't have the added complication of lots of family members taking names, since we basically have no family!

I'm sure you will come up with something you both like in the next 13 weeks!

Now I'm trying to figure out what it could be, but no, I wouldn't do it. The syllables should be a good combination of hard and soft, nothing repeating.

I was very concerned that my girls' full names had the right rhythm. Dd#1 is 2/1/2, dd#2 is 2/4/2, and dd#3 is 2/3/2. Our last name ends in -en, so for example, I automatically ruled out all names ending in that, such as Lauren. I also didn't give any of them two-syllable middle names. It messed with the flow.

The 4th "William" was just born into our family. Two go by "Bill", one goes by his middle name, and the newest one is called "Will". We also have three "Roberts" and two "Marys". I'd go with a name you love, and choose a different nickname. Or, just have two in your family with the same name. Would it really be that confusing?

We have a lot of this going on, too. No one gets dibs on a name!

Definitely, don't give your dc a name that could lead to teasing! If you've already thought if it, you know some mean kid will, too!

I've never heard a name that couldn't be used to torment a kid by some other rotten kid. My brother was Nicholas, which has been in the top 15 baby names for most of our lives, and everyone used to tickle him, crooning, "Ticklish Nicholas!" Kids are very creative.

I would not use the same name a family member holds. I have four cousins named Thomas. Conversations require constant clarification.

This thread reminds me of George Foreman, who named all his boys George. I guess no matter what you do, it won't be worse than that!

I think baby naming is funny. When I was pregnant with my last baby, I announced his name on a baby board I was on. Another lady on that board announced a couple days later that she was using the same name, because she "heard it somewhere". A part of me was peeved... but whatever. My son doesn't have to be the only one with a great name! To this day, she doesn't realize that I'm the one she heard it from. I guess she's dense. I laugh when she says her son's name now!

I don't think people really have dibs on a name. If you like a name, use it.

My brother has "claimed" Katherine for a girl name. He and his wife aren't even pregnant. Katherine has been our alternate name every time we've had a boy. If we get our girl first... she's going to be Katherine.

When I go to family reunions and everyone is there, there are 3 Mikes. For that matter, my brother is one of them and for a year he rented a house with 2 other Mikes - mom made a sign saying "Mikes' Place". (Notice where the apostrophe is?) Another side of the family has 2 Toms.

I like the other ideas of your own nickname or spelling.

I have a huge extended family, and none of them have paid any attention that I can see to what anyone else names their child. In one year, first cousins both named their sons Joseph. At least one of them had the opportunity to avoid that, LOL, but they did it anyway.

It really doesn't matter what other cousins are named, as long as YOU like your son's name. They will come in contact with the "other one" so infrequently, most likely, that it won't even be a blip on their radar.

I would avoid the rhyming syllables. We have our pets' names rhyme, because it's silly. I wouldn't do that to a child. (Dog - Tobias Mathias, Cats - Pandora Fedora and Miranda Panda, that kind of thing; they don't rhyme with our last name though.)

Now I'm trying to figure out what it could be, but no, I wouldn't do it. The syllables should be a good combination of hard and soft, nothing repeating.

I was very concerned that my girls' full names had the right rhythm. Dd#1 is 2/1/2, dd#2 is 2/4/2, and dd#3 is 2/3/2. Our last name ends in -en, so for example, I automatically ruled out all names ending in that, such as Lauren. I also didn't give any of them two-syllable middle names. It messed with the flow.

I'm a flow kind a girl too. :) My ds is 2/1/2. My friend who has 3 girls (1 set of twins) has 2/1/2 also.

I have another friend who as the opposite of William Yum....more like Yum William. And the first name is a GREAT classic name, but when you say his name all together it is a real, 'what were they thinking' moment.

I think if you have a simple one syllable last name you need a 3 syllable first name. And unless you are raising your children next door or very close to their cousins I wouldn't worry about using the same name. Nor would I alter the spelling---but I don't like weird spellings. You just make it hard on the rest of the family trying to remember, 'now does OP's son spell his name with an ie or a y?'

Thanks for your input! I was beginning to think I was just being totally contrary and needed to get over myself and just give this unborn child a name. Now I see that I'm not completely crazy!

I've already seen the results of duplicate/similar names, and I simply don't want to go there. Oldest DS's name happens to be the same as one of my adopted siblings. The boy was 5 when he came to live with my parents as a foster child and it was 3 yrs before the adoption happened. They both go by the same name, and it is confusing. Oh, and DS is named after DH, but DH now goes by a nickname. It is also the same name shared by DH's step-brother and his oldest son (although they "joined" the family after DS was born). Fortunately they both go by their middle names, so we don't have that confusion.

My uncle married a lady whose name rhymes with mine (I was in the family first). Due to my grandma's poor handwriting, many of her Christmas gifts over the years were accidentally given to me (and later given to her when the mistake was realized).

With all the millions of names, I see it as my duty :001_smile: to circumvent the confusion.

Other naming obstacles we have: All of our kids' first names are Biblical. Their middle names are "royal" names. They all have different first initials.

We didn't set out to have all those, but it sort of just happened. Now we are at the point of deciding whether to continue with each of those, or break free from one or more. Can you imagine the Duggars deciding to give #18 a name beginning with a B?

When we introduce the kids, folks notice that they are all Biblical, so the 5th being non-Biblical would stand out. The middle name thing is not a big deal, we just think it is sort of neat, but no one else notices. The initial thing is nice when I'm labeling things, but I'm definitely flexible on that.

I did present DH with a girl's name this morning that is "Biblical" but not a person's name. He didn't immediately shoot it down, so we may be on to something...

We do have a boy's middle name picked out...it will be after DH's grandfather. That much we have decided. Oh, and I think we've pretty much decided on a last name.

After reading all the posts, I crossed another boy name off my list. The common nickname + our last name = sounds like a common girl name. I won't go there either.

At least we aren't considering Talula Does the Hula!

I did present DH with a girl's name this morning that is "Biblical" but not a person's name. He didn't immediately shoot it down, so we may be on to something...

I was thinking along these lines. Not all our kids have "Bible names" but they all have names with Biblical associations. For example, we have a son named "Will" and say it's because he's God's will for our lives. Another son has the middle name "True" because God is faithful and true. A daughter's middle name is Evangeline, from the word evangelist, another's is Joy, etc. Even our latest edition, a son named Axel, fits this category -- Axel is from a Hebrew word that means "My Father is peace". All Bible-related names if not Bible names.

I'm dying to know your last name and the options we can work with in figuring out a name for your baby! :001_smile: (But understand that you probably don't want to share!) When I'm pregnant the baby-naming board at i-village is on my daily visit list ... people sitting around discussing possible names for their little ones.

You've gotta be careful using family names. Otherwise people are going to think you are naming your baby after them! Anyway, we named our daughter "Raziya" and there isn't any more of them around here. Hopefully this time we'll get a Marek, otherwise I'll have to think of another girls name. I also have a one syllable surname, and we (sibs and I) all have at least two or three syllable first names, which are still have at least two when shorted into a nickname. I think that's a good rule to follow. I also try to pick names that don't look ugly when fingerspelled. That's just an us thing, I think.

:)

Rosie

I love your idea of a "Biblical" name that isn't a person's name. Like Grace, Faith, Joy, Hope. Also Jordan, Zion (I have a friend who named their child this!) or Roman.

Lately I have been leaning toward non-Bible classy old-fashioned names. Like Lena, Martin, Charles, or Anne. (not that I have any reason to be leaning toward names at all).

• 1 month later...

as some one who's parents named to have a first name almost the same as the last name do not go there (Brandy-Lee Bradley, what were they thinking?). It is horrid, the teasing happens a lot. You could name your child the same as one of the "taken" names but call them by their middle name. My uncle/cousin do this. They both have a hideous first name that is passed down generation after generation, however none of them actually likes it to be used so they use their middle names (note never name a child glenwood).

Also, if you do have a one-syllable last name, I'd go with something other than one syllables for the first and middle names.

Definitely! The one-syllable last name is really nice because you can go with a cool, long first name (which can give you plenty of nickname options, too) without sounding pretentious.

And I agree with everyone else: DON'T go with the repeating sound. Think YEARS of therapy, dahling--YEARS. :D

ETA: Oh! Almost forgot why I posted. I recently ran across a Mrs. (so this was a CHOICE!) Holly Jolly. Seriously. All I could think of was Burl Ives. So wrong.

The 4th "William" was just born into our family. Two go by "Bill", one goes by his middle name, and the newest one is called "Will". We also have three "Roberts"

Sounds like my family.

My son William III has a father and two grandfathers named William.

And I have a Grandfather, uncle, male cousin, mother, and wife named Carroll, Carol, or Carole :lol:

I also fight an un-winnable battle that "William" is Will + Liam, not Will + Yum, but I know it's a lost cause :tongue_smilie:

Bill (William)

Other naming obstacles we have: All of our kids' first names are Biblical. Their middle names are "royal" names. They all have different first initials.

In looking at Biblical names, be sure to look at the context in which the name is used in the Biblical stories. I have a friend who was looking for boy Biblical names beginning with "O" specifically and shared the list she had found online. I warned her that "Onan", which came up on the list, was probably *not* a good choice. Imagine a 13 year old boy sitting in Sunday school among his friends and learning the story associated with that name (assuming he didn't find out earlier)!

In my experience, it's kindest to the child to avoid:

• "cute" names (like Bambi, which I almost was given and I am the polar opposite of the stereotypical "Bambi"--my childhood as the smart fat kid named Bambi would have been even worse),

• names that give odd initials--a friend's initials are "ME" and he was constantly having to explain in the military when a superior officer wanted to know who the cut-up was that was signing the duty roster "me"; another option I avoided would have given me the initials IIT; another couple we know just named their child so that the initials would spell "WoW" for World of Warcraft (*and* picked a very unusual first name to boot) ---this is probably less of an issue than the others, though.

• common sounding names with odd spellings or commonly spelled names with unusual pronunciations---it will lead to a lifetime of constantly explaining how to either spell or pronounce one's name. My husband is Erik, which is not even an uncommon variant of Eric, but his name is constantly misspelled. I can't imagine what it would have been like if his mom had done something like Eriq! Besides, an odd spelling of a name won't help avoid confusion in conversation if they sound alike.

Well, if you go that route, you'll be the subject of a "What were they THINKING??" thread on some message board years hence. :D

I wouldn't call a kid "Jason Sun," for example. It's just... not nice. IMO.

Agreed! I dated a guy with a name like that in high school - it was just strange. I always wondered what his parents were thinking because there are *so* many other names to choose from - did he have to rhyme with his last name? :D So no, I am in the "no" camp. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: It was more than rhyming - his name was Jay Jay---.

LOL - I'm cracking up at the specific example you gave. While I could see this possibly working with a different name, this one is hilarious. What if, instead of going with Will as the nickname, you went with "iam" (yum).....then you could call him Yum Yum! :lol:

Sorry - I had to sneak away for a board break because my mind was fried. Strange things are going to make me giggle right now.

In all honesty, I think it is fine. Because, if he goes by a nickname, that will be his "name" as far as everyone else is concerned. Will Yum is a perfectly fine full name. (snicker, snicker, yum-yum) Rarely will his entire name be used.

Good luck. We just had to come up with our 5th boy's name to go with a single-syllable last name that starts with N. I swore, no first name ending with N, again...yet our newborn is our 3rd son to have a name ending in N. We're doomed if we have a 6th son. The next boy's name idea we've come up with is Saxon, again, an N.:glare:

Killian Nicole (almost named DD that!)

Are people naming their daughters Killian now? I swear, we have no luck. We have a Kit, no not Kittridge, he's a boy. We have a Haden, not Hayden since that's now a girl's name and he's a boy. We have a Killian, also a boy...which we swore no one would ever use for a girl's name. Now if girls start getting named Brodin, we'll be at a loss.