Menu

Ugh (Amazon books)!!!

kagmypts

I am so bummed. I had a huge Wish List with all of the books that I planned to buy for next year, and when I went to place them in my cart this evening, I noticed that the 4-for-3 promotion was not listed on the product web page. I caontacted Amazon, and they said that the 4-for-3 promotion was canceled on January 28! Ugh, Amazon used to make all of my book shopping so easy - it was so fast (I have Prime) and cheap. I guess that I will be getting all of our books elsewhere! It's such a bummer because I love Amazon.

I know! It is disappointing. I'm going to start buying from Barnes and Noble instead (using my educator discount) from now on. It was just so easy buying from Amazon though. :(

How did you get your educator discount from B&N? :001_smile:

I just loved with Amazon that I never had to price shop. Plus, with Prime, I could order books as birthday gifts, and they would be at my door two days later! I did provide feedback to Amazon that I would like to see the 4-for-3 promotion return.

That is disappointing. I love Amazon and buy almost everything from them because of their shipping and prices, but I fear that as they get larger and take more of the market, that's all going to shift the other way eventually. :sad: I've noticed a real change in their shipping over the last year or two and that 4-for-3 promotion is something I've used heavily.

I had heard it was hard to get a B&N educator card, but this sounds easy! Maybe I'll try it...hmm... I guess I need to concoct a homeschool name? I don't have one!

Homeschooling parents are eligible by providing a photo ID and a letter with the following information:

• Family name and address
  • Name of homeschooling parent(s)
  • Grade level of each child being homeschooled

Just be prepared to show proof that you are a home educator. Even though it just lists the above, information is all that is needed, my B&N requires me to show the letter I get from the state acknowledging the NOI I turned in stating I'm a home schooler. Even when my old card expired, I still have to bring in the new letter to prove I'm a homeschooler.

ETA: just wanted to add that I'm not all that broken up about amazon doing away with the 4 for 3, not much I bought qualified, and honestly the prices of books there is still better than I can get at B&N even with my discount most times.

I noticed the other day that the 4-for-3 wasn't listed on any of the books I was buying, but I just thought I'd picked a 'bad lot' of books. (Pun intended. :Angel_anim: )

In my experience, if ENOUGH people protest, Amazon does listen. It just takes A LOT (and might end up being 5-for-4 instead of 4-for-3, if you know what I mean).

:sad:

Just be prepared to show proof that you are a home educator. Even though it just lists the above, information is all that is needed, my B&N requires me to show the letter I get from the state acknowledging the NOI I turned in stating I'm a home schooler. Even when my old card expired, I still have to bring in the new letter to prove I'm a homeschooler.

The first time I got a Barnes and Noble educator card, I was required to bring in my curriculum to prove I was homeschooling. So I lugged in my SL instructor's guide, and that was all that was required. Half Price Books gave me an educator's discount card with nothing more than my word that I was a homeschooling mom. :D

FWIW, I sent them a polite email letting them know I was disappointed that the 4-for-3 promotion was no longer available and asking for it to come back. (You have to dig to find the "Contact Us" link.)

I got a canned answer:

Hello,

I'm sorry; the 4-for-3 Books promotion is no longer available on the website.

I'll be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate people in our company and we'll consider your comments as we plan further improvements.

We are always striving to provide the best possible service to all of our customers. Your comments will help us make this service more convenient for all users. Thanks for taking time to offer us your thoughts.

If you'd like to know more about other promotional offers on our website, please visit our Help pages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=565778

You may also be interested in our Bargain Books page where you can find newly discounted books and other bargains: http://www.amazon.com/Bargain-Books/b/?node=45

We hope to see you again soon.

I had heard it was hard to get a B&N educator card, but this sounds easy! Maybe I'll try it...hmm... I guess I need to concoct a homeschool name? I don't have one!

Homeschooling parents are eligible by providing a photo ID and a letter with the following information:

I had an issue with my local B&N here in Texas, but I called corporate while I was there, fixed everything. LOL Our local B&N has a Teachers Appreciation Day twice a year, if you don't get answer, ask how to contact the person who runs Teachers Appreciation Day...... they will fix it quick. LOL

I did print an homeschool ID at home, and took it in the second time, no issue.

Sometimes it took the 4-for-3 promo to match Rainbow's price on certain books. You might want to peek at them there.

I agree. I just priced several books at both Amazon and Rainbow Resources, and all of them were at least $1 cheaper at RR. I hate that I don't get my 2-day shipping, but I just try to plan in advance.

Sometimes it took the 4-for-3 promo to match Rainbow's price on certain books. You might want to peek at them there.

I agree. I just priced several books at both Amazon and Rainbow Resources, and all of them were at least $1 cheaper at RR. I hate that I don't get my 2-day shipping, but I just try to plan in advance.

:iagree: I love RR for their prices and fast shipping. Plus they have a staff that is very knowledgeable about the curriculum that they sell. Try getting that with Amazon.

It was super easy for me - took a whole 5 minutes, lol. They have special educator weeks too, several times a year - those are weeks when you get your full discount off anything in the store (I think barring music and textbooks), instead of only "school stuff" (normal books for classroom use; the normal discount allowance).

:iagree: I love RR for their prices and fast shipping. Plus they have a staff that is very knowledgeable about the curriculum that they sell. Try getting that with Amazon.

I almost never order from RR because I don't find their shipping fast at all. I've also called about things that are backordered (which you never know until after you order, I hate that) and have never gotten a person that wasn't beyond rude about it.

Now with amazon if it's on prime shipping I know it will be here in 2 days and every time I've interacted with their customer service it's always been pleasant and very knowledgable.

So I really think this is a YMMV situation.

I had an issue with my local B&N here in Texas, but I called corporate while I was there, fixed everything. LOL Our local B&N has a Teachers Appreciation Day twice a year, if you don't get answer, ask how to contact the person who runs Teachers Appreciation Day...... they will fix it quick. LOL

I did print an homeschool ID at home, and took it in the second time, no issue.

Thanks for the advice.

ETA: just wanted to add that I'm not all that broken up about amazon doing away with the 4 for 3, not much I bought qualified, and honestly the prices of books there is still better than I can get at B&N even with my discount most times.

Ugh.

I wish Amazon would just straight discount the paperbacks, like $5.50 instead of $7. I rarely ordered 4 that were the same price.

I almost never order from RR because I don't find their shipping fast at all. I've also called about things that are backordered (which you never know until after you order, I hate that) and have never gotten a person that wasn't beyond rude about it.

Now with amazon if it's on prime shipping I know it will be here in 2 days and every time I've interacted with their customer service it's always been pleasant and very knowledgable.

So I really think this is a YMMV situation.

This just happened to me with RR. The box of books is not here yet because something was back ordered possibly, but customer service couldn't tell me. By the time I get the books, it will have been two weeks from the day I ordered. I wish there was a note on the product page or even an email. I don't mind waiting if I know beforehand. RR doesn't email shipment notices apparently, which I already knew, but any other notice about a week delay would have been appreciated.

I've never dealt with rude CS at RR...maybe "inconvenienced" and I didn't understand this. Every time I order, it says on my conformation email to call the next day to check on backorders. When I have called, they sounded like I was bothering them to do something they suggested!

I still order from them a few times a year...I've had issues with Amazon taking forever as well.

I've also found many books cheaper (a couple dollars or more) at RR. I try to order these from there. Generally I order from Amazon when I'm placing a smaller order or need it quickly (although they took over a week with my last order)!

I wish there was a note on the product page or even an email. I don't mind waiting if I know beforehand.

This. I wish they would let people know. I think it is part of their strategy so they have more time to prepare orders. What I would do if I knew, would be to lump items together -- stuff that was in stock would go in one shipment, and things that were delayed would go in another. I don't think they want people to do this. If I didn't have enough delayed items to make up a separate order with free shipping, I just wouldn't purchase.

This just happened to me with RR. The box of books is not here yet because something was back ordered possibly, but customer service couldn't tell me. By the time I get the books, it will have been two weeks from the day I ordered. I wish there was a note on the product page or even an email. I don't mind waiting if I know beforehand. RR doesn't email shipment notices apparently, which I already knew, but any other notice about a week delay would have been appreciated.

Weird. I got an email about a back order, and got two shipping notices for my two boxes.

I pay an extra $10 whenever I order from Rainbow for "expedited shipping". That means my order goes to the head of the line above everyone else's, and they will not hold the shipment for back ordered items. Worth it to me.

I pay an extra $10 whenever I order from Rainbow for "expedited shipping". That means my order goes to the head of the line above everyone else's, and they will not hold the shipment for back ordered items. Worth it to me.

Right, but I had a choice to go with Amazon because I have prime shipping. The only reason why I went with RR is that since I received an email from RR about a new product, which Amazon also carries, I felt an obligation (not exactly the right word) to go with them.

Just for the record, RR usually doesn't do this to me, but of course, I only order maybe 2 times per year.

Wow. I didn't realize that RR did that on back orders. This year was only my first year with dealing with them but I've probably ordered from them 4 times. I may go with Christian Book Distributors and Amazon this year-- depending on the price difference. I may only use RR to order FIAR books. Thanks for sharing.

I love Amazon because the books are on my doorstep in two days (I have Prime) and in many cases the next day! I had all of that for "free" (or rather included) plus the 4-for-3 before they dropped the promotion. It was a no-brainer where I purchased my books - it was two clicks to purchase and then super fast delivery! I will just need to be a smarter shop now. I am hopeful that if enough people give feedback that the 4-for-3 promotion may come back (even if just as a benefit for Prime members)! I admit that I am a fairly loyal Amazon customer!

I know, I miss that Amazon promotion as well. I believe it was until the end of 2012 only. Hoping they bring it back!

I have ordered several times from Rainbow Resource and have never had an issue. Their prices are usually cheaper than Amazon, and I get free shipping in orders over $50. I really can't complain about them, they have been good to me :)