Menu

Who has read TWTM and what did you think?

My feelings went like this: :001_cool: :huh: :bored: :svengo:

Loved:

-Understanding more about what the trivium is and how classical education works.

-SWB's explanation of how to use SOTW.

-The instructions for keeping subject notebooks.

-The explanation of what narration is and how to implement it.

-A bunch of other little nuggets of wisdom I can't think of right now.

Didn't love so much:

-The uber-lofty goals for high school. Aristotle's Physics in 9th grade? Seriously?

-The (over?) emphasis on memorization. Actually, it made me think more about memorization and decided that more of it in our schooling would be a good thing. But nitty gritty grammar rules? Lists of ancient dynasties?

Overall, I'm glad I read it and I will probably implement some of it. But my biggest critique is that it seems SWB wants moms to teach college level material to her high schoolers. Being a mom of 5 (and expecting our 6th), I find it overwhelming to think of all the subjects and disciplines I will need to teach my children before I'm through (at least I think I'll be through at some point, lol). I know most moms find homeschooling overwhelming - doable, but overwhelming. And I feel that SWB raises the bar so much higher than what we already thought would be very challenging, e.g. teaching Algebra, Geometry & Calculus and doing it well, making our kids well-read and good writers, getting good scores on the SATs and getting our kids into college. Now we hear that we should be teaching our ninth graders Aristotle and Hippocrates? Our tenth graders Copernicus and Kepler? Eleventh graders Newton? And twelfth graders should be reading Einstein, Behe, and Hawking?

Is it me or is this college-level material? I have a BA in Philosophy and studied Aristotle when I was 20-22 rather than 16. There's a big difference and I have to think that if I had read Aristotle as a 16 yr old, I wouldn't have gotten much out of it. This stuff is hard for learned adults to comprehend, let alone 16 and 17 yr olds. Isn't this what we send them to college for?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I read TWTM, my oldest was a toddler. I thought the entire idea of classical education was crazy intense.

The second time I read TWTM, my oldest was a kindergartner. I loved it. I was just starting to homeschool with a child who was very advanced academically and I really connected with the high standards and "lofty goals" of classical education. I viewed the book suggestions as just that - suggestions. I didn't adopt everything, but it gave me a framework to start hanging our own homeschooling goals on.

It's not for everyone, but for those who want to acquire a fantastic education - why not? Many students are ready for college level materials in high school. If that isn't your situation, then do what you need to do in order to meet the needs of your children. The great thing about homeschooling is that it allows you to individualize education for the needs of your own children.

I like it, and use it loosely. I don't know where we'll be in high school, right now I take it year by year. I don't do all the memorization stuff, it would drive my ds crazy! I really like the 4 year cycle and using hstory as a spine. I LOVE history (my undergraduate degree is a BS in Social History), so that just appeals to me. Also, I think most "social studies" curriculum at the elementary level is completely rediculous, and I like the "meat" that world history provides. Plus, I'm learning sooooooo much that I never learned in 13 years of public schooling!

I had to get the first edition on inter-library loan. I had just delivered my 4th baby and got the message on our answering machine when I got home. Dh went to get the book. I HAD to read it.... time was running out on my 2 weeks.

I read it up to the parts I needed and then skimmed it.

I had to buy it to use it as a resource.

As a perfectionist, I felt overwhelmed, but thankfully found a Classical support group and mentor.

Since then I have purchased every copy, not sticking to it like glue but using it for reference, updated materials lists, reviews, and to keep accountable.

Love it and have re-read it many times.

I don't like all the memorization, but we simply choose to do that in the way and the amount that is best for us.

I LOVE her literature lists. Many, many, many of the classics that we deem "too hard" are quite doable when you try. The more you do, the more your mind can fall into that language and culture, and the easier those works are.

I appreciate the practical how-to that sets me free from having to follow a curriculum of worksheets.

If you start them young, they will absolutely be able to read Aristotle by 9th. If you are JUST starting to homeschool in 9th, then it might be a hard thing to accomplish.

It's a marathon, and believe it or not, when you focus on slow and steady small bites, it can be done. You will find that you, as a teacher, have much backflling to do with your own education.

I've read it way back over a decade ago when I was pg with 4 and dh lived in another city 4 days a week for work. This was my response back then:

:001_cool: :huh: :bored: :svengo:

I have read it several times since. I'm a slow cooker and I like to mull. This is how I've used it. I read it, digest, underline, take notes, put it down, do what we're gonna do. I don't follow TWTM religiously or sometimes even at all. My kids are brilliant at certain things and dumb as rocks at others- to a one they are idiot savants; which I believe they would be no matter what method we used or book I implemented. There is no magic bullet. TWTM is, after all, just a book. It's just a book, albeit a very good one. Read it. Put it down. Walk away. Read it again (if you are so inspired). Cause it is very :001_cool:

But my biggest critique is that it seems SWB wants moms to teach college level material to her high schoolers.

Actually, I think Susan wants us to use our brains and teach our children well. If we do that using her ideas, all the better. That way she gets some positive validation and income. I've never met her, but I bet she likes those things as much as the rest of us.

The ability to read the hard stuff in high school depends a lot of what has been read earlier. My complaint is that I would have been able to do college work in high school if I'd been taught thoroughly beforehand. "Lockie Leonard- Human Torpedo" was a waste of my time. I'd have preferred something a bit too hard to something too stupid.

OP how old are your kids? I thought the goals were crazy and lofty when mine were young too. In fact I only followed it in the slightest sense of the word, but I used the lists of resources as a guideline. I now have teens preparing for high school. These are spec ed kids even, kids I never dreamed capable of reaching the goals in the book. And Yet this year as 7th and 8th graders they are studying the great books, and surpassing my expectations. Now they do have delays and struggles in some areas but even those are climbing in leaps and bounds. THis is the age where they lack any form of common sense and at times I question if they lost their brains some where and yet they are able to study these things quite well. Planning out 8th and 9th grade for next year and seeing my kids have already covered many titles listed is very uplifting. Now will they be studying aristotle physics in 9th, no, because their math is delayed, but they will be studying artistotle's Ethics. Kids rise to the expectations we place for them. If your expectation is that they will get by with the bare minimum than that is what they will achieve, if your expectation is that they will reach for these so called lofty goals then they will try their darnedest to do so. They may fall flat, and that is okay. I would rather my kids stretch and challenge themselves and fail than mere accepting mediocrity as okay. That lesson in itself translates to all you do in life and even if they can't reach all the goals they have learned to set them and strive for them, lofty or not.

I refer to TWTM at least three or four times a year, but I don't implement it exactly.

I love: The four year rotations, the notebook setups, the basic core subjects and the reading lists. The basic organization works very well for us.

I don't love: There's too much focus on memorization for us, and copywork was only useful for one of my boys. I also think it is a bit too heavy on the liberal arts and gives short shrift to science and mathematics, so we do focus more on those and perhaps a bit less on history.

I love some of the curriculum recommendations, others not as much. I don't think the high school set up is too rigorous, but I did wonder about it when I first read it several years ago. Now as we draw closer I think we will have to add things to it. I read Aristotle in high school philosophy, but I attended a gifted program (back before AP programs replaced them).

I love: The four year rotations, the notebook setups, the basic core subjects and the reading lists. The basic organization works very well for us.

I don't love: There's too much focus on memorization for us, and copywork was only useful for one of my boys.

FWIW: We do tons of memory and copywork 'round here. Different strokes and all of that.

OP, if you're Catholic and overwhelmed by the prospect of teaching the Great Books in high school, look into Kolbe or Angelicum. You will find there is a LOT of overlap between the H.S. course of study laid out in TWTM and what Kolbe & Angelicum have their students doing. Everyone I know who has had their kids do either of these two programs absolutely raves about them. Now, I don't have any personal experience yet but I'm strongly considering using one for my kids' H.S. years.

Ha, I got out of bed to grab my copy!

Well I have my book beside me now.

My problem is I like thinking of cool high school course descriptions and charting out what books to use. Also how to overlap the courses so they fit together nicely.

But who knows what my boys will want to do at that age, so I just keep my ideas in my head and don't even bother writing them down, or researching to see if my ideas meet various requirements.

Have I read it? Well, the first time was back in 2000, before my eldest son was born. I own the first and third editions

So far, I haven't really had any trouble implementing the basic philosophy of a neo- classical education. It works really well with my kids. When I stray too far, that is when we run into trouble.

I have read it a couple of times and need to read it again. I use it as a guideline and what we ideally aim for, the model of what I want our homeschooling to look like, but we definitely don't follow it exactly. I could see that leading to burn out for all of us very quickly.

My feelings went like this: :001_cool: :huh: :bored: :svengo: I'm glad I read it and I will probably implement some of it. But my biggest critique is that it seems SWB wants moms to teach college level material to her high schoolers.

It is absolutely doable, and there is no reason why high schoolers shouldn't be covering the material SWB has in WTM. My two oldest have done it, and I'm working on getting my third through it now. If you start when they are in elementary, they will be well prepared and able to handle the material, understand it, and discuss it intelligently. Don't sell your kids short...they deserve better.

Aristotle's essay on Friendship and also some pieces by Emerson were all part of my older kids 9th grade English class in public high school. Physics isn't too far beyond those, so I think it might be a bit of a stretch read, but not as much as you might think. Excellent introductions into classical thought.

I've read WTM and I find that as my kid gets older it gets easier to follow all the recommendations. It was a tough fit when DD11 was a 2nd grader, but now as she gets farther along, the better the scope and sequence fits what we need.

Gotta say, I love TWTM. I am not following it as closely as I once did, bc I am using a classical home school program. However, it was the first book that really touched me and challenged me to think differently about education. As for memory work, I wouldn't discount it too much. My 6 yr old, who has been memorizing Latin declension endings [with no real explanation as to what and why] asked me during her copy work, if the object of the preposition would be in the ablative case. Sometimes I think we don't expect enough of our kids. [That probably sounds bad in a tiger-mom sort of way but really I am not a tiger mom] I just let them do what they can and don't limit them. Like I said, I love it! I hope my kids will be able to go to college and go so much farther than I ever did, b/c they have had a foundation that helps them to learn anything. :001_smile:

One good thing about home education is that you can devise your own totally individual program for your children, with the option of pulling together ideas and resources from all over the place. With TWTM I have never attempted to follow it religiously, but I've found lots of useful advice, and I refer to it often enough that I ended up buying my own copy.

the reading list is quiet long, and SWB says to select 8-10 from the list, so I selected books according to my children's interest. for my oldest this list in year 9 was Genesis, Herodotus (which he loved),Danial, an abridged Iliad and Odyssey, Euclid, Archimedes....year 10 he read Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the green knight, Canterbury tales, Once and future king (instead of Malory) the faerie Queen, Copernicus, Galileo.. and we ran out of time for another. year 11 he read Gulliver's travels, Frankenstein,the last of the Mahicans, Oliver twist, and I added in some Australian classics for the turn of his natural life, a fortunate life,and others. He skipped grade 12 and went straight into doing university courses. Last year he rang me from Uni to tell me that he was helping a fellow student with a complex math problem, His friend was amazed that my son knew how to do the problem. He replied it was simple and explained it was based on a principle that Galileo had outlined.

My ds 15 is just starting 9th grade.The school year here starts in January. He is currently reading Gilgamesh. the book is only about 100 pages long.. not hard at all.

I've read it a couple of times, but not in a couple of years. I liked it more the second time around because my kids were older and I was actually doing stuff, rather than just thinking about it.

I think it's probably safe to say that hardly anyone follows it to a "T" but what I love about classical education is that it always seems to simultaneously ask more of my kids than I would on my own AND keep me from having unreasonable expectations. I tweak TWTM quite a bit but I think much of what I do is in the spirit of the book.

It's a fantastic resource and I love having an ideal before me.

I've read it through several times. The first time: :drool5: ; second: :hurray: ; finally: :bored:

It's the kind of education I wish I'd had for myself. I wish I had found it earlier for my oldest ds. It was the kind of education he deserved (early reader/bored to tears in ps). I find myself referring to this book often, even though it's the first edition. There are many methods I have adapted to my own teaching.

I've read the second and third editions multiple times. I gave my second edition to a homeschooling mom a couple years ago. I follow it fairly closely with dd. so far SWB and her mom have been spot on. Since I've started high school planning last week my copy of TWTM has not left my side. It is even in my bed with me. ( but don't think I place special value on it. I have about 7 other books in bed with me.)

I have a few of Aristotle's writings on dd's 9th grade list.

I read it at least once a year and we use many of the ideas SWB goes through in the book(history rotations, narrations). Even she admits you couldn't do it all; it's more a guidance thing and you pick and chose what works for you. She just recently said on one of the youtube videos that one of her boys would have been better off in school.

I think the book inspires people to consider doing more than we think we can do. And those that make the effort will be greatly blessed. but again, not all kids will do well with WTM and you have to pick and chose what works for you.

I agree that science needs more. I tried her method one year and even with all those library books and experiments it just wasn't enough connecting the dots as some curriculum has been. I would encourage you to find a science curriculum to follow. And for my kids we haven't loved the writing portion of her stuff for sale. But I look at it every year before saying no, lol.

One thing I really like is the earlier editions before they published a lot of things. You can find products that are solid and do a great job if you don't like their products. There are so many more choices now than when we first started.

But I wouldn't come to the website the author has up for free and say a lot of negative things.....you will find most here like something about WTM and wouldn't let you dare speak badly of SWB !!!

I read it when my son was a newborn, and I loved it lots. He's still in the PreK years, but I plan on implementing most of it, with a CM twist. Right now we're loosely following a Montessori-type home based learning environment and reading A LOT.

I was publicly educated in Canada, and think I had a fine education. I completed the IB diploma program, and it was more rigorous than my first couple years at university! That said, reading TWTM was like reading through a plan for the education I *wish* I'd had. I read Aristotle in my 9th grade PS English class, and I didn't have nearly the background that SWB puts forth in the earlier years of the Trivium. So yes, I'd expect my son would be able to read it in 9th, too, especially since he'll be much better prepared for it than I was. Overall, I think TWTM is rigorous, yes, but definitely do-able - they're working towards those rigorous high school years from the start.

I would hope that most on the "Well-trained mind" forums have read the book. :laugh:

I have read it several times and get something new from it each time I read it. Yes, there are some parts that can make a homeschooling mom feel a little overwhelmed, especially if you are "starting in the middle." Why not read just the parts relevant to your kids' ages? I read the Parrot stage almost exclusively, because that is where my kids are. High school will come when it does. Who knows where my kid will be in ten years? Maybe he'll want to be at PS. Maybe he'll want to go on-line. Maybe he will want to read Aristotle and Hawking and Faulkner. Who knows? I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I would hope that most on the "Well-trained mind" forums have read the book. :laugh:

I have read it several times and get something new from it each time I read it. Yes, there are some parts that can make a homeschooling mom feel a little overwhelmed, especially if you are "starting in the middle." Why not read just the parts relevant to your kids' ages? I read the Parrot stage almost exclusively, because that is where my kids are. High school will come when it does. Who knows where my kid will be in ten years? Maybe he'll want to be at PS. Maybe he'll want to go on-line. Maybe he will want to read Aristotle and Hawking and Faulkner. Who knows? I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

I actually have not read the book and have no plans to. Not because of anything negative at all, but that I am very happy with our method of home education.

I came to this board on many people's recommendation that it was a treasure trove of information and support regardless of whether or not you actually used the method or read the book. 😊

Over the years there have been many comments on the high school board about the great success of reading Plato's Republic with our 9th graders. Think about it--the Socratic dialogue is perfect for engaging many teenage minds. And many adolescents are in fact thinking about big ideas--things like justice. I think this work in particular strikes when the iron is hot.

Not every book on the WTM high school list will resonate. But there is a long list. Pick and choose. Many adolescents will also adore the bathroom type humor in Aristophanes' plays. Why not introduce them?

I could go on and on...

Jane, Mom of a WTM graduate who is now a junior in college

I actually have not read the book and have no plans to. Not because of anything negative at all, but that I am very happy with our method of home education.

I came to this board on many people's recommendation that it was a treasure trove of information and support regardless of whether or not you actually used the method or read the book. 😊

I will now recommend that you read it not only because Susan graciously allows us to use her Internet space (we should always be good guests, yes?) but also because your child is young. Everything can fall apart in the middle and high school years. Having an idea of some alternate plans can keep you sane.

I will now recommend that you read it not only because Susan graciously allows us to use her Internet space (we should always be good guests, yes?) but also because your child is young. Everything can fall apart in the middle and high school years. Having an idea of some alternate plans can keep you sane.

I know about the classical method and at this time, I am not interested. Nothing is off the table, however, and if I feel I need a change up, I will take a look. :)

Were the people who referred me here wrong about being accepted here if I do not ascribe to this method? I don't want to be anywhere I am not welcomed. I truly was not aware I was being a bad guest because I didn't read her book. 😔

I know about the classical method and at this time, I am not interested. Nothing is off the table, however, and if I feel I need a change up, I will take a look. :)

Were the people who referred me here wrong about being accepted here if I do not ascribe to this method? I don't want to be anywhere I am not welcomed. I truly was not aware I was being a bad guest because I didn't read her book. 😔

I apologize if my comment led you to believe that I was calling you a bad guest. Let me clarify: It seems to me that as a member of the Well Trained Mind Community, one would be curious to know that the Well Trained Mind is about. There are people who have made negative comments about Susan on this site--frankly I do think they are the bad guests.

Sorry to have offended.

You are fine.

I was going to crack a joke about you being one of *those* people, but in light of other post I won't. LOL

I apologize if my comment led you to believe that I was calling you a bad guest. Let me clarify: It seems to me that as a member of the Well Trained Mind Community, one would be curious to know that the Well Trained Mind is about. There are people who have made negative comments about Susan on this site--frankly I do think they are the bad guests.

Sorry to have offended.

I was not offended but clarifying what I "heard" you saying. I wanted to make sure that I hadn't overstepped any boundaries. I am new here and came on the recommendation that it was ok to be here if I didn't use the method. If that was wrong, I needed to know about it. :001_smile:

I am not ignorant of the book or the method. I have been to a homeschooling convention where mostly the presenters were classical in nature and one on particular was on Susan's book and method.

I think she is an amazing woman and her methods are wonderful. I just don't follow it. For us, it is not the method we choose.

My feelings went like this: :001_cool: :huh: :bored: :svengo:

Loved:

-Understanding more about what the trivium is and how classical education works.

-SWB's explanation of how to use SOTW.

-The instructions for keeping subject notebooks.

-The explanation of what narration is and how to implement it.

-A bunch of other little nuggets of wisdom I can't think of right now.

Didn't love so much:

-The uber-lofty goals for high school. Aristotle's Physics in 9th grade? Seriously?

-The (over?) emphasis on memorization. Actually, it made me think more about memorization and decided that more of it in our schooling would be a good thing. But nitty gritty grammar rules? Lists of ancient dynasties?

Overall, I'm glad I read it and I will probably implement some of it. But my biggest critique is that it seems SWB wants moms to teach college level material to her high schoolers. Being a mom of 5 (and expecting our 6th), I find it overwhelming to think of all the subjects and disciplines I will need to teach my children before I'm through (at least I think I'll be through at some point, lol). I know most moms find homeschooling overwhelming - doable, but overwhelming. And I feel that SWB raises the bar so much higher than what we already thought would be very challenging, e.g. teaching Algebra, Geometry & Calculus and doing it well, making our kids well-read and good writers, getting good scores on the SATs and getting our kids into college. Now we hear that we should be teaching our ninth graders Aristotle and Hippocrates? Our tenth graders Copernicus and Kepler? Eleventh graders Newton? And twelfth graders should be reading Einstein, Behe, and Hawking?

Is it me or is this college-level material? I have a BA in Philosophy and studied Aristotle when I was 20-22 rather than 16. There's a big difference and I have to think that if I had read Aristotle as a 16 yr old, I wouldn't have gotten much out of it. This stuff is hard for learned adults to comprehend, let alone 16 and 17 yr olds. Isn't this what we send them to college for?

Well GRIN - This IS the WTM board. Lots of people here have read it and lots of people here love it.

I think it is wonderful. TWTM explained to me how one teaches academics to a child who wasn't born naturally good at academics. It also explained how to teach someone how to learn anything (in an academic way). I have found the recommendations to be good. It even explained how to customize to fit a particular family or particular child. We did lots of customizing lol. I think it combines the best of both worlds - strong academic skills with plenty of time to follow interests and plenty of richness. I love it. No - I didn't read the whole thing at once, front to back, and see instantly how brilliant it is. Instead, I read it to get a sense of where I was supposed to be headed and then read carefully the more applicable bits. As time went along and my children got older, I began to see the why behind some of the recommendations. it wasn't until my children were in high school dealing with community college chemistry that I began to really understand the curriculum (see my old post about why TWTM foundation skills are important). My younger two are definately WTM kids. Well, not kids anymore. Youngest is a senior in high school. We are deeply grateful for both the richness and the strength of a WTM education.

Nan

When I read TWTM it felt like coming home. I had done a "box" curriculum (though heavy literature-based), but I wanted more flexibility, I wanted to go deeper in high school, and I wanted a 4-year cycle. My dd and I have heard SWB speak many times. She's a wonderful speaker - gracious and doesn't take herself too seriously. We like her so much, we drove 4 hours to hear her last summer - and I retired from hs'ing a few years ago.

Interesting thoughts. Like I said, there are many nuggets of wisdom in TWTM and I'm *very* glad I read her step-by-step instructions for how to use narration, construct a history notebook, the LA notebook, sample schedules, book lists, and the other very practical stuff. I read the grammar stage section more thoroughly than the rest since that's what's applicable to me right now. My kids are in 4th, 3rd, and K right now (and I have 2 younger children coming along). I had mixed feelings about the book. There were parts I really "got" and parts that were disheartening to me because maybe I'm just a bit lacking in confidence that I can reach those goals (to put it mildly). I wanted to teach my kids Latin, Logic, and to make them "familiar" with the major philosophers and such, but the seeming intensity of the high school reading list threw me for a loop. I have thought about it and maybe part of my reservation has to do with my associating some of those works with my college years and the amount of effort I put into understanding and writing lengthy papers. But maybe I'm over-thinking it and they would be handled on a more "high school level" that I have never experienced and so have a hard time visualizing.

Another thing that added to my feeling overwhelmed, I think, is that I read it when my oldest is well into 4th grade. So I read even the grammar stage section thinking, "woe is me, I have failed already!" because I didn't homeschool the way SWB suggests up to this point. lol

I'm sure I will read it over again at least in part and perhaps as I get closer to the middle school and high school years it won't seem as daunting. Just wondered what others thought and if anybody else felt the way I did when they read TWTM.

Anyway, I am also reading Laura Berquist's Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum and I don't find it quite as overwhelming as TWTM. I would have to think about them and re-read to articulate why, but one thing I noticed is that the age/grade at which Berquist assumes the average child would be ready for the next stage is a year or two later than what SWB assumes. I feel that it relieves some of the pressure, at least psychologically, as I know that SWB doesn't think the ages and stages are hard and fast rules per se. It's definitely a lot to think about and take in. Had I known, I would have started reading about homeschooling as soon as I got married. lol

I wanted to teach my kids Latin, Logic, and to make them "familiar" with the major philosophers and such, but the seeming intensity of the high school reading list threw me for a loop. I have thought about it and maybe part of my reservation has to do with my associating some of those works with my college years and the amount of effort I put into understanding and writing lengthy papers. But maybe I'm over-thinking it and they would be handled on a more "high school level" that I have never experienced and so have a hard time visualizing.

One of my goals is to always have my kids in a position where they can positively surprise me with what kind of work they are capable of doing, but without overwhelming them or giving them work they can't handle.

Just like the trivium encourages us to revisit the same subjects in different years, perhaps your kids will also read Aristotle in college. That doesn't mean that should only read him there. Just like we get great value out of seeing Shakespeare plays in the grammar, logic and rhetoric years, and still too learn more in college, reading Aristotle is college is greatly enhanced by having read him earlier.

I have read it and marked it up, taken it to the library with me, made lists of what appeals to me. I love the way she outlined science for elementary and middle school and have used many of her suggested books for science and history. My youngest two love science and history as a result of the way we've studied it, using Kingfisher or Usborne as the spine textbooks and using the library frequently.

It's a very intensive way to homeschool more than three children. SWB is very fortunate to have such a supportive network nearby. Most of us don't have that. Most of us weren't home schooled by a well-educated mother. I'm not criticizing her and not putting down my own mother!

There is very little that I disagree with in the WTM.

I have suggested the book to many people who were looking for an academically rigorous method of home education, who were dissatisfied with what is going on at school (even private school), and who couldn't seem to find the educational materials they felt were just right for their kids.

It has surprised me that more than a few forum posters have not read the book and have seemed clueless on the content of it.