Menu

Tell me what your 2nd Grade LA looks like...

IceFairy

My second grader is doing:

Spelling- SWR

Writing- WWE 2 plus additional copywork and original sentences in history and science

Grammar- FLL 2 (I am in the minority of people who hate this. We are still doing it some, but I mainly go over copywork sentences and we parse them together. Ds loves this for some reason.)

Literature- Ds reads to me from books I select for about 20 min a day. We discuss, talk about characters and what we think will happen, etc. He also has about 30 min of free reading at night where he can read whatever he wants.

LLATL yellow and lots of reading. We sometimes do extra stuff like FLL or daily language review, but then I realize it's all already in LLATL.

ETA: Now we are doing FLL, WWE and ETC. It's amazing how quickly plans can change. I was actually searching for 2nd grade plans and I didn't even realize I posted here. :)

SWR

WWE

Prima Latina

Memorization of her choice--she is currently working on the Declaration of Independence and scriptures for Sunday School.

Reading of her choice--currently working her way through the American Girl series.

I am not doing grammar now, since Latin, SWR and WWE contain so much already. We will start formal grammar in 4th grade.

Currently my 2nd grader does the following:

Daily:

HWT 4

Silent Reading (1-2 hrs reading self-chosen books - usually a combination of Sonlight readers, non-fiction, & Magic Treehouse)

Read Aloud (listening to literature - Currently I'm reading him "Toliver's Secret" for Sonlight & his daddy is reading him "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" at bedtime)

3x per week:

Writing using the writing process (self-chosen projects - currently he's working on a poem entitled "Funny")

1x per week:

Journal entry

Spelling (he's working through the 300 most common words)

We are holding off on formal grammar until 4th or 5th grade.

We are currently using:

Spelling: AAS

Reading: AAR and lots of read alouds

Grammar: FLL (level 1)

Handwriting: HWT

I should mention my son is dyslexic. I do not enjoy FLL, but he does (probably because there is little writing). For him I like it because there is enough review in there for him.

Reading-aloud 3x per day for 15-20 minutes. She is welcome to read to herself at all times lol. I read aloud to her about an hour per day, trying to up that to 1.5 hours...toddler is NOT cooperating lol.

Spelling-Apples and Pears, 3x per week, one lesson per week. This takes about 15 minutes

Grammar-LLATL 3x per week, again one lesson per week, 15 minutes

ETC-3x per week, one page back and front, takes 5-10 min

OPGTTR-3x per week, one lesson each day, takes 5 minutes

Cursive-one page, 3x per week, one letter focus per page, takes 10 minutes

We school 6 days a week most weeks, so spelling and grammar alternate, and etc and cursive alternate.

For my 2nd grader this year

CLE - LA

CLE - Math

ETC

FLL - (Just started)

Maps - occasionally

Reading

Handwriting - All about Handwriting

Next year for a 2nd grader I'm thinking about

CLE - Math

FLL 1 then 2

Handwriting

ETC

Finish Abeka phonics

Reading

FLL -

My 2nd grader is doing Writing Tales, Free Writing a la Bravewriter, Kiss Grammar 3, Diagramming with Diagramming Revolution (great), cursive, reading (The Borrowers, The Black Stallion, etc.) He also writes comics, manages his blog, and is editor of a fledgling newsletter for our homeschool group.

ours is ever-evolving. It is:

spelling (Evan-Moor)

handwriting (Zaner-Bloser, alternate days cursive & manuscript)

writing (Winning with Writing)

Grammar is hazy at the moment. I'm trying to decide whether to initiate our Full Michael Clay Thompson Sequence now (sometime in February) or hold off until next fall. We tried FLL2 but the first lesson on grammar of poetry was that every line begins with a capital letter, and I cannot tell you how many buttons that pushed for me & so I dropped the program (I know it would have been better to just teach the lessons that didn't bug me, but I am a work in progress :) ). Button was totally bored with Growing with Grammar.

Writing could be boosted now, and I'm hoping to start IEW's program in March (when it arrives -- we're purchasing through a charter school) or in the fall.

We do narration from a few sources, including SOTW.

We read poetry daily at afternoon snack.

We read from a variety of sources. At the moment Button's independent reading is pretty much Droon books (ie, utter twaddle but this has my reading-averse son reading regularly) and SOTW (along with the audiobook). Also Scholastic News for 3rd graders. This week I'm adding science reading, and will incorporate some required reading from Magic Treehouse series as well as some books from the ATA list.

My 2nd grader is doing Writing Tales, Free Writing a la Bravewriter, Kiss Grammar 3, Diagramming with Diagramming Revolution (great), cursive, reading (The Borrowers, The Black Stallion, etc.) He also writes comics, manages his blog, and is editor of a fledgling newsletter for our homeschool group.

okay, you have left us behind in the dust. I'm okay with that. but still! this is wonderful! esp. the blog and newsletter -- hurrah!

okay, you have left us behind in the dust. I'm okay with that. but still! this is wonderful! esp. the blog and newsletter -- hurrah!

Aw. LOL. It is all him--he loves writing. He is still looking for contributors to his newsletter. Maybe I will suggest he open it up to the general populace at large (meaning the WTM community) and make it a "Second Grade Newsletter".

My second grader reads daily to me at an ever-increasing amount - right now it is only 8 pages of a chapter book at a time before her eyes get tired, but this is a great improvement.

She writes about 4 sentences most days with proper spelling and grammar and lovely handwriting. It is usally copywork and typically illustrated.

She narrates something that was read to her.

She is working her way through the IEW poetry memorization program.

Daily:

Spelling - Spell to Write and Read

Grammar - Rod & Staff 2

Daily copywork and cursive (many times from history/science narrations)

Reading to me

Reading to self

Occasionally:

IEW

We just started 2nd grade in January. My two sons are both doing:

FLL 2

WWE 2

AAS 2

Literature - I read aloud to them for 30 to 60 minutes. We are currently reading Anne of Green Gables. I also read aloud lit books from SOTW lit recommendations.

Reading - They each read to themselves for 45 minutes. One just finished reading Charlotte's Web and the other just finished reading The Secret of the Indian (from The Indian in the Cupboard books).

We will also be starting Prima Latina sometime in the next 6 months or so.

We have a new baby so our school has been pretty relaxed. Prior to baby we were doing:

- AAS

- Penny Gardner's Italics

- Queens LLVY

- WWE

- daily reading aloud to me

Since baby we've been doing:

- WWE

- Penny Gardner's Italics

- daily silent reading

- reading aloud to siblings

- I am just starting spelling again with Phonics Pathways

- Time4Learning to fill in gaps, but I'm going to drop this

Reading: independently, 30+minutes a day. I pick from Veritas, Sonlight, AO and other lists. I have her read aloud to me once a week or so. Current book: Understood Betsy

All About Spelling 3: We're halfway through. 15-20 minutes 3x a week. DD is good speller.

Writing With Ease 2: 10-20 minutes 3 or 4x a week. DD tends to narrate CM style and WWE helps her to think about what is important and not just retell the whole story.

First Language Lessons 2: 5-10 minutes 3x a week.

New American Cursive

DD practices narration and copywork in other disciplines too, especially history.