Menu

Please share what you use for grammar and why

julikins

Would you mind sharing what you use for grammar?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do your 3rd-6th graders use for grammar? You can choose more than one option.

• FLL
    • MCT
    • Saxon Hake
    • A Beka
    • CLE
    • Easy Grammar
    • Other--please share what you use
    • I don't do formal grammar until jr. high
    • Rod and Staff--that's funny I forgot to add this because I've used it--doh!

Please share what you use for grammar for 3rd-6th graders. You will be able to choose more than one option. Can you also explain why you chose it. What else do you use to round out the other Language Arts subjects (composition, spelling, vocabulary, etc.). This will help me see what you do to give your kids a complete Language Arts program. I'm really struggling to make decisions so I need your guidance. Thanks!

4th grader - FLL4, Sequential Spelling 3, Writing Tales 2; 6th grader - Rod and Staff 5, Writing with Skill, Sequential Spelling 3; Both boys are doing Latina Christiana and English from the Roots Up. Why? FLL is easy to use, scripted and thorough. Writing Tales is a gentle way to do classical writing. Rod and Staff is very rigorous (we do it mostly orally together). Sequential Spelling is a different sort of program - my boys use white boards during the spelling tests and do their own corrections, which works well for them. Writing with Skill is a new program for us, but I am really appreciating it so far. It is providing my language arts phobic child a gentle review of skills before it picks up the pace. I appreciate that it is written to the student. English from the Roots Up could not be simpler to use and takes so little time. We use the flash cards only.

Last year we used Galore Park Junior English, this year it's a combination of MCT and ILL. I like GP because DD's retention was very good with it, but I found ILL for a song at a used bookstore, and MCT appeals to her as a V/S learner. ILL is done twice a week, MCT (when we do it, we're on break right now, focusing on creative writing), is 2-3 times a week.

We are using Grammar-Land and Mad Libs this year (5th and 2nd). We also do dictation and copywork which covers some grammar. My plan is to use Winston Grammar next year for 6th. After that we'll just do some grammar review...and repeat another grammar course around 9th if she needs it.

I like the looks of MCT, but it's just not in our budget!

Please share what you use for grammar for 3rd-6th graders. You will be able to choose more than one option. Can you also explain why you chose it. What else do you use to round out the other Language Arts subjects (composition, spelling, vocabulary, etc.). This will help me see what you do to give your kids a complete Language Arts program. I'm really struggling to make decisions so I need your guidance. Thanks!

We use MCT for grammar. It was highly recommended on these boards so I started it once we finished FLL4. My dc and I love love love MCT grammar. It's fun, easy to implement, and it sticks. My kids show more grammar knowledge than my dh who's a writer :) We also use MCT vocab and poetry (love both, so do my kids). I did not like the MCT writing component.

My ds10 (5th) started with WWE but did not do well at all with it, so I switched to Writing Tales I. He just finished WT2 and will go into CW Homer now. We've danced around with a few spelling partners and have settled on Simply Spelling, which I really like and wish I had started earlier.

We use MCT for grammar, vocab, poetics, and writing enrichment. We use WWS as our main writing program, Kilgallon Sentence Composing for Middle school as a supplement, and LOE for spelling.

Why do we use MCT? Because it is fun, engaging, and succinct: you can knock the main grammar instruction out of the way in a month and then focus on practice and integration of the grammar skills over the course of the year. I like that the grammar, poetics, vocab, and writing are integrated, so kids are getting the same principles from a variety of angles. Mostly, we use it because it rescued us from the mind-numbing boredom that was FLL.

Same with LOE - we use it for the spelling dictation method, because it is based on knowing, understanding and applying principles rather than rote memorization, and because we hated Spelling Workout with a wild, unholy passion!

My first one through3-6 used Simply Grammar (4th) and then Growing with Grammar (5-6) bc he had fine motor issues and I needed him in an independent program. We switched to Rod and Staff at 7th grade. Earlier we did informal grammar--parts of speech from dictations.

My next one is using a grammar workbook someone gave me for 4th. She will use Rod and Staff for 5th on up. I am switching from GWG only bc I can reuse the books with future children.

Philosophically I believe that grammar should be light until the kids are in upper elementary, middle school. I like Rod and Staff at this level bc it is so thorough.

Other Language Arts:

Composition: We use IEW (sometimes I play around with other resources like Writing Aids and Write Source but I don't think that's necessary. IEW is a great program.) We chose IEW bc child no. 1 was the definition of reluctant writer.Child number 2 is a much more natural writer so I use it in a more relaxed way for her.

Spelling: We use Apples and Pears bc this is the area my kids struggle the most. Otherwise I'd use Spelling Power or Spelling Workout.

Vocabulary: I don't use a formal program until seventh. We read aloud nightly and I often ask them if they understand certain words. We also have done some Latin at this age and presently have the Rummy Roots game. My children have good vocabularies so I don't feel I need a separate program until seventh grade or so.

With Middle Girl, I am using Wardhaugh's Understanding English Grammar. I read a section each week, think about how to teach the material at a late elementary level, and give the lesson the next day. I actually use an old A Beka grammar text just to mine the exercises - I don't teach the lessons from it.

I do this because there aren't any materials for grade school level that teach English grammar from a linguistic understanding.

ETA:

Other aspects of English:

Analysis and composition - Galore Park Junior English (thanks, Laura) and Scribner School Editions (right now working through the poetry book). I also occasionally mine Intermediate Language Lessons for writing assignment ideas.

Vocabulary & spelling - Word Wealth Jr., which literally makes Middle Girl squeal with delight when I pull it out.

With dd whose now 10th grade, I used BJU English. Every other chapter is a writing project, and she was a good creative writer. With ds, I used 3rd grade BJU, but he isn't a creative writer and I wanted to try IEW writing, so I was wasting half the book. I did some Scholastic ebooks the first half of this year, and I'm using R&S now. I really like it, and so does ds. I think we will stick with it. I like that it has built in review and oral drill (instead of everything being on paper).

We add in Grammarland for 3rd grade as well as R&S English 3 --- oh I didn't include why. I liked FLL1&2 but 3 was going o send me over the edge. I also like Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons but they weren't getting done consistently. So, I like R&S because it is straightforward, thorough, and gets accomplished 2-3 days a week. I like Grammarland because it's in a story format, fun and engaging. :) HTH.

DD9 in 4G -She did FLL 1–3 and we switched to KISS grammar this year. Scripting became too much. I plan on following the same path with younger whose in FLL 1 now. KISS grammar is interesting and different. It's a good change to see if dd actually retained anything from FLL. She did but it's very different using rules in real-sentence contexts. Not sure what we'll do next year.

IEW - great for my dd who isn't a natural writer and whose brain goes too fast to organize her thoughts before putting them on paper. It's been very good.

AAS - Started in kindergarten and in Level 5 now. Used for phonics instruction as well.

I tried vocab but haven't been able to maintain a program. I plan on adding Latin soon and we discuss words that come up in reading.

Reading Detective - I added this the help with reading comprehension. It's great. We do it 1x/wk. It has her do things I don't naturally require like Show evidence from a text for her answers. Today's lesson was on using context clues to understand an unknown word. I plan on continuing this as well. We talk through books as we read them but that seems to be broad comprehension as opposed to recall of specific information.

Monkey 1 uses MCTLA Island Level. We just orded the Mud trilogy after dabbling with Alice from the Alice, Peter, Mole series (she wasn't quite ready for it.) She loves stories, is the more imaginative of my older two and she responds well to it. The workbook style of Voyages in English was fine but made learning a chore, so I knew she needed something different.

Monkey 2 is currently using LLATL Red. He responds well to short and quick lessons. I've found he responds well to the lessons and is retaining his learning. I supplement it with How to Spell and Evan Moor Daily Handwriting.

I voted for FLL and other.

FLL 1/2 is great for little ones. Gentle, bite-size pieces, easy to speed up if needed, includes poetry and more.

FLL 3 is a good next step, but my kids are generally d.o.n.e. with the entirely parent led format by the time they finish this book. Putting diagrams on paper or a whiteboard helped. Even my late-bloomer was annoyed by those baby-step diagram lessons.

R&S after that. It's simple, effective, no fluff, as parent led as you want it to be, the TE is awesome, and the student book explains concepts clearly.

As for what we have used, my oldest started with FLL 1/2 before levels 3 and 4 were written. We floundered for a couple years before landing on R&S in fifth grade, and haven't looked back since. (He still raises an eyebrow when he sees that old Easy Grammar book in our school closet. Clossal flop in our home. None of my other kids have used it, but there it sits.) All the other kids have used or will use the above progression.

I use FLL for very early primary, then Grammar Land and some free McGraw Hill worksheets from the internet, then Winston Grammar in 5th, then Analytical Grammar in 6th. I tried R&S and found it too time consuming because it was either too much writing for my boys or too much time to do it all aloud. I tried GWG and EG as well, but found that the information didn't really stick even if they did all the worksheets correctly. I like the looks of MCT but have never tried it because of its cost, and I've never tried the others on your list.

For DS 3rd grade we are using

CGE - Climbing to Good English for grammar and some writing. I really like that is gentle, yet thorough. (we don't do the respellings)

Writing - right now we are just concentrating on strong sentences, correct punctuation and capitalization, and how to write a paragraph. We are not using any "curriculum" in particular right now, but will use picture writing prompts from time to time. Honestly just trying to establish a love for writing.

LOE - Logic of English for phonics and spelling. My son loves the games.

CLP Nature Readers for daily reading practice and lots of other books for literature.

WWE for oral narration and comprehension.

Handwriting - Conquering Cursive for Left-Handed

What I've used most consistently is Evan-Moore Grammar & Punctuation workbooks. I have used the 2nd, 3rd, and a bit of 4th grade levels.

What I like about it is that it's very simple, copies on the copier nicely, has a CD-rom with the whole e-book on it for easy printing, and it's very straight-forward. It can be very independent. Each lesson is 2 pages front and back (though the front of the first pages is the new grammar rule & examples). I can't say the kids love it but they don't hate it. OK, one of them hates it, but he hates any writing. The other one is fine with it. It does seem kind of repetitive, though. Same rules over and over, with a little bit more complicated application each time. I suppose it makes sense.

Our grammar experience has been quite the roller coaster.

Year 1 - nada as dd was just earning to read in first grade.

Year 2 w/ oldest -- FLL 1 & 2 (3&4 were not out yet).

Year 3 R&S 3 the next year both cried and switched to Evan-Moor G&P (while using FLL with my 2nd dd which when I realized I would be using it year after year with subsequent children dropped at the mental anguished caused by the idea--big mistake).

Year 4 - it is a blank and I don't want to dig out my records to look.

Year 5 - we used Simply Grammar and switched to ILL - blech.

Year 6 -Returned to R&S in 5th (and with my other children) it went okay but I got tired of teaching 3 similar lessons but unsure how to combine and really wanted something more in workbook form

Year 7 -Switched to Analytical Grammar for my oldest and Evan Moor for my youngers.

Year 8 - continued with AG and EM, but EM didn't get done consistently and switched to Climbing to Good English.

Year 9 (this year) - Ditched everything again switched my youngest to FLL 3 (I have his older brother join in for the lessons), my middles to Winston Grammar and my oldest grammar is included with MFW AHL. I love FLL, I wish we had stucck with either it or R&S from the beginning. My poor oldest is somewhat screwed up but I do think AG was helpful for her, just wish the DVDs had come out a bit sooner. Grammar is definitely something we have really focused on this year and I think I have finally found our groove. The only change I will make next year is to put my then 6th grader in R&S which I believe he should be able to do more independently.

We like Rod & Staff:

-- WTM recommended as thorough.

-- R&S has a lot of diagramming, so it is excellent for visual learners.

-- The main criticism I've heard -- that it moved slowly -- is a plus for us, as dd needs the extra reinforcement. We use the books, the extra booklet with grade-level exercises, the test booklet, and the remedial materials. I let dd write in the 'non-consumable' student text for some of the exercises.

-- I like that it includes some oral English, writing, etc.

BTW, we do secular education, but I like R&S anyway. It has religious content, but it seems more Bible based, rather than doctrinaire.

Cost wasn't really a factor, but I like that R&S materials are reasonably priced.

7-8 yrs old: Rod and Staff 3, Mad Libs, School House Rock. Very positive experience, despite being primarily secular homeschoolers; R&S is very solid grammar, and we liked the units at the end about proper introductions, telephone manners, and letter writing.

8-9 yrs old: MCT Town level, Mad Libs, School House Rock. Love MCT, nice change of pace from R&S. it is fun and engaging, and intellectually interesting for my gifted child without "pushing" him beyond where he needs to be for his age. We are using the related vocabulary and poetics unit, plus the practice and Paragraph Town books. No worse about skipping the Island level, though we may read Sentence Island later, for fun.

Digging into Diagramming.

======next kid======

10-11 yrs old: Growing With Grammar-- a bust. It was so easy that he could score 100% on the tests by predicting the patterns, but still know nothing.

Grammarlogues 6th grade: much better. This extremely challenging program will not let you pass until you know your stuff. Perhaps unnecessarily difficult at times, but as it uses passages from actual literature, perhaps not.

11-12 yrs old: MCT Magic Lens-- pure gold. We are definitely a MCT family, and he now knows his grammar for real. Also using related vocab, practice, and poetics, but not writing, as he is writing with IEW, Unjournaling, WWS, and History Odyssey.

Grammarlogues grade 7: ramps up the challenge.

Digging into Diagramming: hoping the GWG publisher's materials have gotten better with this new book.