• Yes, and I was born in the 70s.
    • Yes, and I was born in the 80s..
    • Yes, and I was born in the 90s
    • No, and I was born before 1970.
    • No, and I was born in the 70s.
    • No, and I was born in the 80s.
    • No, and I was born in the 90s.
    • Obligatory other... and you'd better explain. :D

I have to go make dinner, but I would love to see KK in Va's reaction when she finds out what it is. :D

I think we broke her.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Moira.... they have to know what the thing in the second picture is before they'll figure out the first one. :laugh:

Can't be too forthcoming, not all at once.

Born in 1978. I had this handy-dandy Fisher Price record player with the center that popped up and down. I've never seen those adapters before. My dh (born 1965) knew exactly what they were.

fisherprice.jpg

My youngest sister (she was born in 1976) had one of those FP record players! I used to listen to Sesame Street and the Free to Be You and Me records with her :)

Huh. I didn't know what it was... because we had a 45 adapter that looked totally different when I was a kid. And then when I was in high school in the early 90's and used to collect indie 45's, I had a record player that had one that also looked totally different.

But a google image search seems to suggest that that's the typical look.

Huh. I didn't know what it was... because we had a 45 adapter that looked totally different when I was a kid. And then when I was in high school in the early 90's and used to collect indie 45's, I had a record player that had one that also looked totally different.

But a google image search seems to suggest that that's the typical look.

It's also something of a "secret" handshake, a design by which audiofiles can identify each other.

It's also something of a "secret" handshake, a design by which audiofiles can identify each other.

Yeah, the image search clued me into that. Also to the fact that while I might once have been able to call myself an audiofile, collecting my records and wearing my Doc Martins, thinking I was so cool... I am clearly totally not anymore. :tongue_smilie:

I would really like some because I just bought a record player at an estate sale and that thing has the Best. Sound. Ever. Thankfully, My Dh forbid that I ever throw out his records. We use it all the time. And, I hear all the hipsters are buying records now, too.

There is nothing better than Zepplin played on a record. Or The Who.

1961 here and I did not know what they were. Apparently my sisters and I were ahead of the game because our pink record player (which I still have and use from time to time), has a center piece that popped up for the 45s.

Now that I am officially the oldest respondent, I believe I will go dust off my old faithful record player and sing along to some Partridge Family classics.

I would really like some because I just bought a record player at an estate sale and that thing has the Best. Sound. Ever. Thankfully, My Dh forbid that I ever throw out his records. We use it all the time. And, I hear all the hipsters are buying records now, too.

There is nothing better than Zepplin played on a record. Or The Who.

We've moved on to CD, but I still refer to "Side 1" and "Side 2," etc. when talking about albums initially purchased before about 1983. "Comfortably Numb" was the last song on Side 3, and that's how I'll always place it.

We've moved on to CD, but I still refer to "Side 1" and "Side 2," etc. when talking about albums initially purchased before about 1983. "Comfortably Numb" was the last song on Side 3, and that's how I'll always place it.

We moved on, too, but we were walking through this antique store and they hd one of those huge, dresser looking stereo systems from the 50s? And that thing was awesome. It sounded so amazing. We picked a player up for 20 bucks.

It was so much fun hunting through the thrift stores for Christmas records. I'm now on the lookout for classical.

1961 here and I did not know what they were. Apparently my sisters and I were ahead of the game because our pink record player (which I still have and use from time to time), has a center piece that popped up for the 45s.

Now that I am officially the oldest respondent, I believe I will go dust off my old faithful record player and sing along to some Partridge Family classics.

Ha Ha!!! Not quite: I was born in '59!

I grew up with those, though they weren't that fancy.

Yeah, the image search clued me into that. Also to the fact that while I might once have been able to call myself an audiofile, collecting my records and wearing my Doc Martins, thinking I was so cool... I am clearly totally not anymore. :tongue_smilie:

That's okay, I read audiofiles and could not figure out how a computer could tell the difference between the different record adapters lol

Some friends had those. We always had the cylinder adapter that adapted the record player to the record instead of the other way around.

That is what we had, if you mean the tall kind. We also had that under discussion. I studied the photo uploaded to this thread, and the closest thing I could see was that red-orange one in the lower right-hand corner. Except ours had no ridges or decorations; was simply plain, plain plastic.

That is what we had, if you mean the tall kind. We also had that under discussion. I studied the photo uploaded to this thread, and the closest thing I could see was that red-orange one in the lower right-hand corner. Except ours had no ridges or decorations; was simply plain, plain plastic.

Ours had an extender for the part that you could stack the records on and then they'd release down one at a time.

Here's one for the same generation ... dh has his phone set to a chime sound when his phone needs a charge. I tell him that Tinkerbell says that it's time to turn the page. :laugh: