Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week three

Robin M

Jo [Walton] is wonderful! She has oodles of intriguing book posts on Tor, is the author of a number of fascinating books (Tooth and Claw, think Trollope, but with dragons, is my favorite, but her Small Change trilogy is haunting, and her recent Among Others won the Hugo & Nebula, among other awards), and has on her Live Journal some of the most delightful reviews for plays that don't exist...

Thanks for the recommendation, Eliana; I'll be on the lookout for her books now. I certainly enjoyed her book post.

Regards,

Kareni

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read The 5 Love languages for Children for a MoPS group talk I'm giving Friday- egads that book irritated me. I'm not sure why but it just seems so petty, pedantic and self assured. (harsh or what?!) Where did he come up with these 5 "love languages" anyway? I've got to get excited about it all before Friday!

My take away from this book was that as a person I need to show love in a way that is meaningful to others. I can't just assume that my love is understood. I have to be sure to check for comprehension. I doubt that the five categories are all encompasing, but the idea that love can be shown in a lot of different ways was helpful.

I always feel so inadequate looking at all of your reading lists. I finally finished my first book, Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilley Giff. The big kids and I read this to go with history. It is about a 12 year old girl trying to help her family survive the Great Hunger of 1845 to 1852 in Ireland.

We listened to this a few weeks ago and all of us really enjoyed it. We kept waiting for her to sing though.

I'm slowly reading through the unaridged version of Les Miserables along with two other books. I've not been reading as much, but plan to rectify that this week. I am nearly finished one, though.

Les Miserables is one of those books I was glad that I read after I finished it. Hugo's amazingly descriptive style drove me crazy sometimes. I really appreciated having read it when I saw the movie a few weeks ago. I understood the movie so much better because I knew the whole story.

It is a favorite here. As far as The Red Badge of Courage goes, one of my kids said, "Yes Mom, I get all of the literary reasons it is a classic, but you will never get me to like it." That child thought All Quiet was, "Just brilliant."

That's it exactly! My daughter and I felt the very same.

I am so amazed at the number of books y'all read at the same time. I am a one at a time kind of woman.

We listened to this a few weeks ago and all of us really enjoyed it. We kept waiting for her to sing though.

Did you know it is part of a trilogy? Maggie's Door covers her trip across the Atlantic. Water Street, which we haven't read yet but will soon, is about Nory's daughter in America.

I just finished The Left Hand of Darkness - a lot going on in this book. My thoughts:

In Classics in the Classroom MCT talks about practicing disassumption - "discovering and escaping limiting or obstructing assumptions" - while reading, analyzing and discussing literature. Disassumption is inescapable while reading The Left Hand of Darkness. As you read you are forced to recognize that when you hear or read the word "he" or some other masculine word like "king" you don't just register third person singular masculine (or third person singular masculine ruler). These words come with a package of assumptions attached - has male genitalia, cannot get pregnant, does not menstruate, does not lactate, etc. One might even bring with the word "he" such assumptions as - short hair, only cooks on grill, handy, is married to a woman, makes more money than wife, etc. But when you read about the king being pregnant, it is a jarring experience in which you are forced to shut down for a minute, recognize that you brought a package of assumptions along with the word "king" and escape them.

Additionally, Le Guin explores prejudice against women, culture gaps and the difficulty of bridging them, politics, nationalism, greed, selfishness and pride, loyalty and friendship - all while giving the reader a tour of another planet - the climate and geography and the culture's politics, food, dress, myths and customs.

Not sure what I'll start next; I have a few things sitting here.

Have now started The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. (Reading it for my book club.) I read this book many, many years ago, but don't remember that much about the story itself. Just barely dipping into it, though, and it's noir at its best. Is this the book that defined the noir genre?

The edition I got from the library is a lovely one. It has black & white photographs throughout that are historic photos of San Francisco in 1928, showing locations as Sam Spade would have seen them. Love it.

Starship Troopers

:) Why do I like this book so much? I know nothing about rank in the military :gnorsi: , and yet I've probably reread this book more than any other.

I'm passing it on to my FIL. The cover almost scared him off but I think I convinced him to give it a try since it was published at the same time he was in the military.

ETA: Adult books - one time through a book is usually enough for me. Children's lit is a different thing. I've reread (aloud) Raggedy Ann Stories, Miss Hickory, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Hatchet many times.

Any other favorites to recommend Negin? We seem to like the same type of book

Tammy, I assume that you're asking me about the same subject matter and not my favorites in other areas (fiction, etc.)

I really want to read Barbara Demick's other book - Logavina Street. I love her writing style.

Too many books, too little time! :) My amazon wish list keeps growing. Would love to hear your favorites also, whenever you have time.

I'm about halfway through with The Paris Wife and I'm not loving it. I like it enough to keep reading, love the glimpses into life in Paris at that time, but Hadley's "voice" is grating on my nerves more often than not. Did anyone else feel this way when reading it?

Yes, although I liked it just fine, I definitely did not love it, and yes, I thought that Hadley was a little irritating and clingy/needy to say the least. The main reason that I stuck with it was because we were in Paris at the time. Other than that, I had no particular attachment to this book, Hadley, or Hemingway. The latter = yuck! I love the cover, however. :)

Have now started The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. (Reading it for my book club.) I read this book many, many years ago, but don't remember that much about the story itself. Just barely dipping into it, though, and it's noir at its best. Is this the book that defined the noir genre?

The edition I got from the library is a lovely one. It has black & white photographs throughout that are historic photos of San Francisco in 1928, showing locations as Sam Spade would have seen them. Love it.

Here is another book that I have not read in years. When I was in grad school, I read Hammett and Chandler during down time for complete diversions. Both authors paint such a wonderful atmospheric picture of California in another era.

My favorite Hammett is The Thin Man but maybe that is because I am partial to Myrna Loy who plays Nora Charles in the films launched from the novel. (Or maybe I am partial to the hats that Loy wears in the films!)

Tammy, I assume that you're asking me about the same subject matter and not my favorites in other areas (fiction, etc.)

I really want to read Barbara Demick's other book - Logavina Street. I love her writing style.

Too many books, too little time! :) My amazon wish list keeps growing. Would love to hear your favorites also, whenever you have time.

Thank you - I saw that she had another book, so I will look into that down the road. I haven't been reading a lot just for myself in the last couple years, so this is kind of exciting to be back reading regularly. I am reading Seabiscuit right now (since I just adored her other book Unbroken). I also have many items in my Amazon cart, and a few more on my nightstand (Infidel, From Beirut to Jerusalem, Guns, Germs, and Steel, and Band of Brothers). I'm going to spend the year reading historical non-fiction! I can't wait!

Finished 'The Go-Between' by L.P. Hartley. I did not enjoy it and don't know why I kept reading.

I just finished this, and enjoyed it more than I expected. I was interested in the picture of the twisted, tortured emotional lives of the middle and upper classes of that era, and their effect on everyone else. I liked the way that the author used the heat that summer almost as a character in the book, changing people's emotional states and intensifying their distress. In that way it reminded me of Camus' L'Etranger (The Stranger).

Laura

I just finished my fifth book of the year, The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Wow... What a great book. I am not at all "into" science and I wasn't sure I would enjoy it since it is about HeLa Cells. I learned so much and really enjoyed the writing. This book definitely gets five stars from me!

Next I plan to read Night Circus (just became available for my kindle from the library) and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk, which was mentioned by a PP.

I haven't read this much in years! Loving this challenge :)

I just finished my fifth book of the year, The immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Wow... What a great book. I am not at all "into" science and I wasn't sure I would enjoy it since it is about HeLa Cells. I learned so much and really enjoyed the writing. This book definitely gets five stars from me!

I loved this book too. It got me started reading more non-fiction than I used to.

I finished my third book, Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton. I was so hoping to give this book 5 stars because when it started out, I could hardly put it down. Then, about 200 pages later, the author introduced an element to the plot that was just not believable, IMO, and that disappointed me a bit. The story is a plot-driven mystery, so you won't necessarily fall in love with the characters. I felt in the dark a lot of the time which makes a great mystery to me, and was surprised by the ending, so overall I enjoyed it.

My books so far:

1. The Missing by Chris Mooney

2. Becoming Fearless by Michelle Aguilar

3. Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton

Starship Troopers

:) Why do I like this book so much? I know nothing about rank in the military :gnorsi: , and yet I've probably reread this book more than any other.

I had no idea that was a book. It is my dh's favorite movie. Oh, how many times have I suffered through it? Have you seen the movie? My dh even named one of our dogs after Carmen.

I think I'll pass reading the book. The movie was enough trauma for me. :rofl:

Did you know it is part of a trilogy? Maggie's Door covers her trip across the Atlantic. Water Street, which we haven't read yet but will soon, is about Nory's daughter in America.

I didn't. Thanks for telling me! I'll have to see if the crew liked her enough to listen to some more of her story.

Completed:

I am working on Anna Karenina, too, but I do like something lighter when I'm waiting for the kids at their various lessons. I think I've only got one more left in the "No. 1 Ladies" series. Do you think it's possible to "Do the Continental" reading only cozys? Probably aren't any for Antarctica.

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky.

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith.

Completed:

I am working on Anna Karenina, too, but I do like something lighter when I'm waiting for the kids at their various lessons. I think I've only got one more left in the "No. 1 Ladies" series. Do you think it's possible to "Do the Continental" reading only cozys? Probably aren't any for Antarctica.

I don't think anything in the challenge says you must read great literature from each continent. It even leaves it up to you whether you choose to read books set in each continent, or written by authors from said continent. I kind of covered both when I read Shoeless Joe. It's written by a Canadian, but set in the U.S. I covered North America. :)

As a lover of cozy mysteries myself, I think it would be kind of interesting to see how they're done in different parts of the world. Are the basics of a cozy there? What's different? What's the same? See, you can make it educational if you like. Or you can just read and enjoy. :)

Seems like I am starting more books than I am finishing! Oh well. As long as I DO finish them, right?

Currently reading:

Absolutely Organize Your Family

Institutes of the Christian Religion

Mockingjay

Scrapbooking Digitally

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Building Her House

Money, Possessions, and Eternity

The Three Musketeers

The Miracle of MSM

I, Elizabeth

Finished:

1. The New Messies Manual

2. Practical Paleo

For those who haven't read Handmaid's Tale yet - it is available at audible.com for 6.95

b&n Free Friday A Place Called Armageddon by C.C. Humphreys

Literary Escapism's latest paranormal and urban fantasy releases and excerpts newsletter

Join the conversation with Jody Hedlund - Are we turning into a culture of picky readers?

Completed:

Perfectly possible to read all cozys for the continental. You just may find one set in the antarctic.

Here's two great sites for cozy's

Cozy-mystery.com

Stop, You're Killing Me

I had no idea that was a book. It is my dh's favorite movie. Oh, how many times have I suffered through it? Have you seen the movie? My dh even named one of our dogs after Carmen.

I think I'll pass reading the book. The movie was enough trauma for me. :rofl:

I haven't seen the movie but from what I'm reading online they are quite different. Sorry you've had to suffer. ;)

For the Dewey Decimal Reading Challenge, I picked up UFOs, JFK, and Elvis by Richard Belzer (in the 000s section of the library). I finished the book & found it somewhat funny & entertaining. The JFK conspiracy stuff was mostly nothing new to me; I'm not as familiar with the various alien theories out there, so some of that info was new to me. Belzer covers various conspiracy theories, makes plenty of cynical/snide/funny interjections, & includes a bibliography of his source materials. Relatively fun if you're looking for a quick, easy overview of JFK & alien conspiracy info.

So, how do you dewey decimal folks choose your books? Do you simply browse that section of the library? By aliens, do you mean the original use of that word that still exists, or a creature from another planet?

So, how do you dewey decimal folks choose your books? Do you simply browse that section of the library? By aliens, do you mean the original use of that word that still exists, or a creature from another planet?

I just go browse the shelves.

In this case, I was using 'aliens' to mean creatures from outer space/other planets (because the book included info about UFO conspiracy theories).

I just finished this, and enjoyed it more than I expected. I was interested in the picture of the twisted, tortured emotional lives of the middle and upper classes of that era, and their effect on everyone else. I liked the way that the author used the heat that summer almost as a character in the book, changing people's emotional states and intensifying their distress. In that way it reminded me of Camus' L'Etranger (The Stranger).

Laura

Oh, I can't help but agree with you. It was certainly well written, but deception stories always make me miserable. It's on my list with 'Lord of the Flies' as a great book I hate, lol.

Well I finished a couple of paranormal romances on the Kindle today. They were not great but I did enjoy some of the characters. If I hadn't used my prime pick for the second one I may not have finished. There were demons which is the one paranormal I would rather not read about.

When I returned my prime I was able to get My Dear Charlotte which I have wanted to read since week one. That was good -- I kept thinking it would stop beinga prime choice before I was ready for it! Here is my list so far:

5) The Witch's Dream-Order of the Black Swan by Victoria Danann(Prime)

4) My Familiar Stanger-Order of the Black Swan by Victoria Danann(free)

3) Merry Christmas Alex Cross

2) Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers

1) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley

Quickly finished The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. This is the classic noir detective novel to which others aspire. Worth the adulation.

Again, I have to point out that the version I read (published by North Point Press) is just amazing -- filled with period black & white photos of San Francisco locations that are in the novel. The "On the Photographs" section in the rear of the book gives lots of detail about the research that went into finding the photos, determining a timeline for The Maltese Falcon, & specific info about every photo included. Kudos to North Point Press! They deserve huge praise for such a gorgeous, neat edition of an American classic.

--------------------------

My Goodreads Page

My PaperbackSwap Page

Working on Robin's Dusty &/or Chunky Book Challenge.

Working on Robin's Continental Challenge.

Working on LostSurprise's Dewey Decimal Challenge. Complete Dewey Decimal Classification List here.

My rating system:

5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Decently good; 2 = Ok; 1 = Don't bother (I shouldn't have any 1s on my list as I would ditch them before finishing)...

2013 Books Read:

01. Women of the Klondike by Frances Backhouse (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty; Continental/North America; Dewey Decimal/900s.

02. Equator by Miguel Sousa Tavares (3 stars). Challenges: Dusty, Continental/Europe; Africa.

03. UFOs, JFK, & Elvis by Richard Belzer (2 stars). Challenge: Dewey Decimal/000s.

04. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (4 stars). Challenge: Continental/North America.

I haven't been reading a lot just for myself in the last couple years, so this is kind of exciting to be back reading regularly.

I'm going to spend the year reading historical non-fiction! I can't wait!

Tammy, good for you! It's always such a wonderful joy to read for ourselves. :)

161566705351949554_ofHUH1Bz_c.jpg

I dropped the Mother Road. I am still working on Emma and Getting Things Done. I bought GTD because I want to teach my kids to follow this model and I want my dh to read it. I am happy to be reading, but I have been so busy that I am not finishing fast.

3) A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. I was howling! This book was hysterical! What a way with words this guy has.

2) Secrets at Sea Peck

1) His Love Endures Forever Wiseman

Squeeking in at the last minute with this week's read. I just finished a reread, The Power of a Praying Wife. Initially I read it to change dh, LOL!!!, but ended up changing myself. It helps keep my focus on where it needs to be.

Richard Preston. From the back of the book:

Scary part? It's NON-fiction.

:0

I always feel so inadequate looking at all of your reading lists. I finally finished my first book, Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilley Giff. The big kids and I read this to go with history. It is about a 12 year old girl trying to help her family survive the Great Hunger of 1845 to 1852 in Ireland.

I'm in the middle of reading Face the Winter Naked by Bonnie Turner. This was a free Kindle book. It is about a WWI vet and his struggles with PTSD and the Great Depression.

I know!!! How does everyone read so much? Audiobooks?

I am supposed to be reading Babylon Mesopotamia and The Birth of Civilization but I am having such a difficult time getting into it. It is relatively interesting but nonfiction just doesn't grab me, even if it is something I am interested in reading. In the meantime I finished two quick reads over the past couple of days.

The first is Agenda 21, a dystopian novel published by Glenn Beck but written by Harriett Parke. I found this book to be an interesting story that kept me engaged with the characters. In the beginning I rolled my eyes a few times as some topics felt a bit forced and added into the story just to make a political statement not to further the story. As I kept reading I didn't notice it as much, most likely because I was so engaged with the characters. It was definitely interesting to read a dystopian novel where the great evil is government after reading Atwood where the great evil seems to be corporations and greed. This book was definitely shallow when you compare it to Atwood but all in all a good story. If you like dystopian lit I recommend you give it a try, just be forewarned that the book is meant to make a political statement and there as an afterword dedicated to the evil's of the UN's Agenda 21.

Ooo! I have been wanting to read Agenda 21. My girls debate topic this year is the UN so we have been quite immersed in all of their evils.

I have this on my TBR list.

I finished Robin Hood by Howard Pyle last night. I learned yesterday that the story of Robin Hood doesn't have an original author. It's more like a legend, first record in the 1200s, possibly (or not) based on a real person. I had no idea. The book was okay. I enjoyed parts of it and some parts I became bored due to yet another fight.

According to my family history, we are descended from Little John, known for lurking around Nottingham. Either Robin Hood was real or Little John was a madman who spent too much time talking to himself, which might explain some of my extended family's issues. :p

I didn't know this about Robin Hood. We saw a play last night where they changed the plot a little. It was really fun! I have never read the book so I can't compare the play to the book, but it will have to go on this year's list.

Started my re-read of The Handmaid's Tale last night. Like an old friend. :) Is it unhealthy that I love dystopia novels so much?? ;)

I agree! That is what caused me to fizzle out last year. I read so many heavy hitters at the beginning of the year that dh thought I would be put on a list. This year I plan to alternate intense books with lighter fare.

Finished books

1. Shanghai Girls *****

2. The Cat Who Saw Red **

3. The Power of a Praying Wife ****

Still in progress

Don Quixote

Odessey

Abandoned? The Ebay Bible

Have only read one chapter. It is not difficult, but I am a little intimidated by ebay for some reason.

I commute half an hour to work by car, so that's an hour of 'reading' a day. I'm usually listening to a somewhat stretching book in the car and reading a lighter book at bedtime.

Currently listening to Bad Pharma and reading Notwithstanding.

Laura

Perfectly possible to read all cozys for the continental. You just may find one set in the antarctic.

Here's two great sites for cozy's

Cozy-mystery.com

Stop, You're Killing Me

Thanks for posting these links, Robin. I adore cozy mysteries so I'm having fun looking through the lists.

I don't know if I fall in the catagory of mega-reader or not but here's what my "reading day" looks like.

I have an audiobook I listen to in the car by myself. Right now it's Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

DH, DD, and I have an audiobook that we listen to together in the car - The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

DD and I always have a read aloud going and I read to her for about half an hour at night. Sometimes longer if we're hooked on the book - Justin Morgan Has a Horse by Marguerite Henry

DH and I are both readers so we like to go to bed about 9:30 to read before we fall asleep. During this time I read whatever I want - Cotilion by Georgette Heyer & Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

A few things that also help me get books read is that I always take a book with me when I leave the house. You never know when you're going to have twenty mintues of time to just read. I am also in three book clubs and that motivates me to get books read. Sometimes they are horrible book but I'm still reading. We also don't watch TV in my house so it's not unusual for the three of us to be sitting around in the evening and just read for awhile.

I'm way behind. I'm just now finishing book 1. I'm still going to participate, I told dh I may stay up tonight and read all of book 2. Lol

There isn't really any "behind" in this challenge. There have been weeks when I've finished three books easy and then there have been weeks when I haven't finished anything but I was still reading the same book. Seriously I spent three weeks last year reading All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. Not an epic or complicated book at all I just had three busy weeks and could only sneak a few minutes in at a time.

Someone mentioned a readathon (Shari, I think). Michelle of True Book Addict is having a week long marathon starting tomorrow - if anyone wants to give it a go.

There a big weekend readathon that doesn't happen til mid october. Dewey's Readathon. It was started by Dewey in 2007 and when she passed away in 2008, several bloggers kept the readathon going in her honor - might want to book mark it if you are interested.

And if you need more book ideas - don't forget to check out Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books

Becca at Lost in Books is highlighting Creole and Cajun communities in her latest Take me Away Saturday.

For those who love cooking and cookbooks - check out Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking blog hop

Jackie at Literary Escapism has updated the release dates for new paranormal and urban fantasy authors

Happy Reading!

For some reason my computer will not let me quote on this forum. To Runningmom 80: There is no such thing as behind. You just read as much as you can with no stress. Stress in keeping up with everyone else takes away from the joy of reading. Ask me how I know. Don't get caught up in the numbers but, rather, get caught up in the book.

Finished Book 5: Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright. I really enjoyed it, although her politics and religion were showing more in this book (which I more or less agree with). Euthanasia, eminent domain, and personal responsibility were all explored in this book. I'll write up a proper review later and add the link. There are two more Ben Reese books ... I expect they'll be #s 6 and 7 :)

ETA: Review link added.

Read Help, Thanks, Wow by Lamott at the bookstore yesterday waiting for ds 18. LOVED it. I love Lamott's wordsmithery. A great, simple, delightful, touching read.

I have this on request at the library - Good to read your good report on it! :-)

Finished Book 5: Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright. I really enjoyed it, although her politics and religion were showing more in this book (which I more or less agree with). Euthanasia, eminent domain, and personal responsibility were all explored in this book. I'll write up a proper review later and add the link. There are two more Ben Reese books ... I expect they'll be #s 6 and 7 :)

Adding to my list!

I have this on request at the library - Good to read your good report on it! :-)

You know I love Lamott- and I don't think she swore once in this one! I took notes, laughed out loud and got choked up at one point. She's just such a REAL person of faith, even though I disagree with her on some doctrinal issues - ;)

We'll see if I'm able to update. Every time I try, it gets lost somewhere. Stupid iPad (not that it could be operator error lol).

I'm currently reading another older book I didn't even know I had. It's We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I'm having a harder time getting into this one. Probably because I know where it's leading, and I'm not sure I want to get there because it's such a dark subject. My life is less than sunny at the moment, so it probably wasn't the best choice, but here I am, so I plan to see it through. Prior to this, I've finished:

3. Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik - really enjoyed; easy read but covered a lot of decades, relationships, topics; older book, but was glad I stumbled across it.

2. Enough by Wil Davis Jr. - Christian content throughout; life changing for me; shifted my thought process; was uncomfortable in a good way; am buying it on audio for dh.

1. Kiss from Katie - so glad I read this; I don't even know how to begin to review concisely yet do it justice. It's just such a powerful reminder of the difference just one person can make if he/she determines to do so. It's not that it's particularly wheel written, because it isn't; it's more the message itself.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m having a hard time deciding what to rate Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. Picture yourself sitting in a pub next to three young fools and you can overhear all their conversation about a recent camping/boating trip they took. Some of the stories and random tangents are hilarious, some stories are amusing but take too long to tell, and some are just boring. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s how this book was for me. At times I was laughing out loud like a fool and other times I was flipping a few pages ahead to see how long the particular story I was reading would go on. And then out of nowhere there was one really sad story that felt like it had no place whatsoever in the book. My favorite parts of the book were the narrators ability to be introspective but completely wrong and the dog who looked like an angel but acted like a demon.

I would cautiously recommend this book to someone who enjoys British humor. If you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t like British humor you would hate this book with every fiber of your being.

In Progress:

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (for ladies book club)

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (audiobook)

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry (read aloud)

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer

2013 finished books:

5. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (***)

4. The Unwritten by Mike Carey (****)

3. The Postmortal by Drew Magary (**)

2. The Witch of Blackbird Pondby Elizabeth George Speare (*****)

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (***)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

We'll see if I'm able to update. Every time I try, it gets lost somewhere. Stupid iPad (not that it could be operator error lol).

I'm currently reading another older book I didn't even know I had. It's We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. I'm having a harder time getting into this one. Probably because I know where it's leading, and I'm not sure I want to get there because it's such a dark subject. My life is less than sunny at the moment, so it probably wasn't the best choice, but here I am, so I plan to see it through.

I read We Need to Talk About Kevin last month. It was the darkest book I have ever read and it was the most powerful. The characters nudged their way deep into my being like no other book has done before. I carry that book inside of me and I wonder if it will always be that way--this is not necessarily a good thing.

Adding to my list!

You know I love Lamott- and I don't think she swore once in this one! I took notes, laughed out loud and got choked up at one point. She's just such a REAL person of faith, even though I disagree with her on some doctrinal issues - ;)

:iagree:

I just finished reading Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith, which I think gave a bit more of her biographical background, although she gave snippets in the few other of her books I've read.

I'm looking forward to her newest - and wow - I may not have to skip any words! ;)