Menu

s/o American Girl--what your childhood doll says about you

AndyJoy

I'm just . . . a little weirded out that there are that many folks here young enough to have a "childhood American Girl doll choice."

I was in my 20s before the first dolls were released.

Edit: I've been trying really hard to remember what dolls I did have as a kid. I remember lots of Barbies (although at first, I was allowed to have only Francie, her Mod cousin from England, because she was less sexy), and a bunch of something called Dawn, which were pretty much like Barbie but smaller in scale.

Other than those, though, the only dolls I remember clearly were one of the early Baby Alives and this one: http://www.dollinfo.com/dancerina.htm I don't think I played with either one very much before they broke, but I do remember both fondly.

I was born in 1985, so yeah, the dolls were all the rage when I was a 3rd grader, although the quiz is silly and obviously biased towards Samantha. She was my favorite, but most of the girls in my class thought she was snobby and dull. She was hardly the mist popular; she was discontinued. I was drawn to all the clothes, accessories and the whole elegance of the Victorian era. Never had an AG doll. I enjoyed all the stories and Addy was actually the most memorable to me and thought she was well developed. Molly didn't seem mousy to me at all and I think the more popular two were Kirstin and Felicity among the girls in my class.

I don't know what loving Chatty Cathy and Betsy Wetsy say about me, besides that I am old. My DD is lucky that I didn't name her Catherine Elizabeth after those two dolls! Her middle name is Catherine, though, and she's not too fond about being named after a doll. I told her my first choice for her name was Indoor Plumbing, since she was my only girl, so she should be thrilled about any name but that. Plus, the good news is she isn't named Barbie, Midge, or Skipper.

Now when I see photos of those Betsy Wetsies online, I think they are the ugliest dolls ever.

My sister loved Kirsten, so that's what she got for Christmas from me one year, when she was in her 40s. We both liked the St. Lucia Christmas outfit -- it reminded us of a book we read when we were kids.

DD had Samantha because she had the same hair and eye color as DD. I wanted her to have Molly, my favorite, but couldn't persuade DD. Then Kaya came out, with all her neat accessories, and I wanted her, too -- but DD, nope. I should have had 3 DD's instead of 3 DS's.

Now when I see photos of those Betsy Wetsies online, I think they are the ugliest dolls ever.

Looked online and they kind of are {sorry}.

But, I console myself from not having an AG doll in that in person they are actually sort of ugly and all have the same face; they just have different hair, eye color and skin tone.

I got dd a Girls of Grace doll and she's actually much prettier. I got her because they make an AHG doll. I am in love with her doll ;). It's like my long lost AG doll but prettier.

I wanted an American Girl doll, but my mom pointed out that I never played with dolls and thought it would be a huge waste of money. I think I would have loved it and played with it, however. My problem with other dolls was I wasn't into baby-doll play or Barbie-style play. A historical doll would have been perfect as my favorite book genre was always historical fiction. Most of my fantasy play centered around 19th century orphans.

I liked the Samantha books the best, but wanted either Molly or Kirsten. I was the brown-haired, glasses-wearing girl but I definitely wasn't mousy and was good at math. That actually used to bug me about Molly!

When I was 15 I saved my own babysitting money and bought myself a Girl of Today doll that looked like me. I figured I could always save up to buy the other characters' historical outfits/accessories. I bought her glasses and my great-aunt made Molly's Christmas dress for me. For my school's history fair I researched the industrial revolution/kids in factories (inspired by Samantha's stories, of course) and made an outfit and historical fiction story up for her.

I only knew 1 girl who actually had an American Girl doll when I was a kid--my sister's 2nd grade best friend. Her family was very well-off. She had Samantha and her grandparents on both sides of the family purchased her every single accessory as they came out for Christmas/birthdays. She added a 2nd doll later and they had more pre-planned gifts to get! We lost contact over the years but I always wondered how many she ended up with (and if she saved them!).

My teenage best friend's 5-year-old neighbor had Samantha as well. But the poor doll was always naked and dragged through the yard by her hair. It pained my friend to see it! She wanted one so badly but it definitely wasn't in the family budget.

I'm just . . . a little weirded out that there are that many folks here young enough to have a "childhood American Girl doll choice."

That's what I was thinking! It says they first came out in 1986... I was just turning middle school age. I guess technically I could have had one, but I think I'd moved on by then to be more interested in boys than dolls! ;)

The big thing in my generation was Cabbage Patch dolls. When I was in elementary school, it was a must have!! And yes, the ever popular Barbies.

And I have to say... if I *did* have an American Girl... Samantha wouldn't have been my first choice! :D

My beloved childhood doll was a Madam Alexander Scarlet O'hera doll. I'm pretty sure what that says about me.

As an adult I bought Felicity. Oldest dd has Kristen. Neither of us can STAND Samantha, but we don't really like the popular girls in real life either.

My daughter had Samantha because she had long dark hair like her and liked frou-frou. I made her earn half the money for the doll. Then I bought a set of patterns to make more clothes. That is all we bought from the company. We picked up other accessories at craft fairs.

My favorite doll was a Barbie knock-off called Kamping Kelly. She came with a sleeping bag, a camp stove, and camping dishes.

I was a little old for American Girl dolls. I had a Cabbage Patch, but I was a little beyond that kind of doll playing when I got her. I think that Mandy doll is the one my grandmother had at her apartment for little girl visitors to play with. I don't know what kinds my non-Barbie dolls were, I remember what they looked like and what I called them. I had 2 baby dolls and a girl doll. I had Madame Alexander dolls, but they were considered collectibles and I wasn't supposed to mess them up.

I don't know what loving Chatty Cathy and Betsy Wetsy say about me, besides that I am old.

I'm from that doll era too. My parents bought me a nice doll and I gave it away to the first girl who showed interest in it the next time we were camping.

What it says about me is that I had parents who spent a lot of money on a doll that their tomboy daughter had absolutely no use for. ;-)

I was born in 1980 but AG dolls only caught on where I lived maybe around age 10 or 12 for me. Maybe slightly earlier but I only had one other friend who knew the books and had dolls. I desperately wanted Molly but I think I would have picked Felicity had she been available and I thought the descriptions fit pretty well :)

I didn't have an AG doll as a child. Nobody ever really paid attention to our wishlists (although we were asked every xmas to make them); they purchased for us what they thought we *should* want or have. Lol.

My dd is 11 and still in love with AG dolls. She has Felicity and this past xmas asked for (and received) Samantha. Her choices. Felicity has red hair like her and Samantha... I'm not sure why she wanted Samantha. She likes that she was retired maybe and that Daddy spent months on ebay trying to find one "new" or "like new" in the box for her? Lol.

I wanted an AG doll so bad. My parents didn't have the money though so it wasn't in thr cards. I had the original books and magazine though.

My parents are far better off financially now. I told my mom last summer that I still wished I had had one. For my 31st birthday, my parents made sure I finally had Felicity. (Who you can still find on the internet)

I had Kirsten (actually, still do). I did read a lot of Little House books, but the real reason I got her was to be different. All the snobby rich girls at my school had Samantha, so clearly I couldn't get her, and my "best friend" had Molly, and I wanted to be different, so... (I think Felicity had just come out at that point, so I wasn't familiar enough with her to get her.)

I will always regret that I didn't get Molly, though. She's from one of my favorite periods of American history to study, she has glasses like me, so was the doll I really wanted. Part of me looks back at myself as a child and is proud of the fact that I wanted to be different, and the other part looks back and thinks how stupid I was not to get something I really wanted just to be different.

How silly girls can be!

Edit: I've been trying really hard to remember what dolls I did have as a kid. I remember lots of Barbies (although at first, I was allowed to have only Francie, her Mod cousin from England, because she was less sexy), and a bunch of something called Dawn, which were pretty much like Barbie but smaller in scale.

I remember the Dawn dolls. I think I had their fashion show stage! And, did you by chance have Dancerina?? I did. Man, I loved that doll!

That's what I was thinking! It says they first came out in 1986... I was just turning middle school age. I guess technically I could have had one, but I think I'd moved on by then to be more interested in boys than dolls! ;)

I was one year away from graduating from college in 1986... :leaving:

My dolls were all no-name dolls that I just named myself, with no pre-existing name or personality...

I remember the Dawn dolls. I think I had their fashion show stage! And, did you by chance have Dancerina?? I did. Man, I loved that doll!

Loved Dawn dolls! In fact, i think my long-standing prejudice against Barbies has less to do with their bad body-image issues and more to do with the fact that all the darn clothes and shoes were made for them and too big for my Dawn dolls!

I'm too old-I had Mandy http://www.dollkind....-friend-dolls/. Having said that, I bought myself Molly for my 39th birthday, because she's exactly the doll I'd have loved as an 8 yr old.

Me too. I still have Mandy, Becky and Jenny. I recently took them out of storage and washed them and dd their hair. My DGD fell in love with Jenny so I let her play with that doll. She calls it Baby and carries it everywhere. I kept all of the clothes I had for them so DGD and I have been changing Jenny's outfits, even putting her into her nightgown for bedtime.

I just wish it was (were??) possible to find new clothes to fit the 16 inch dolls. The 1970's styles I have aren't too hip.

Sorry for the hijack.

I think they came out when I was about ten, so I was just a little on the old side and didn't read the books until my DD got interested in them a few years ago. But I was a HUGE Little House on the Prairie fan; I begged for a sunbonnet and for my mom to braid my (long dark) hair all the time. Not surprisingly, Kirsten was my favorite AG doll. DD got interested in pioneer times, and she got a (non-AG) doll with brown hair and pioneer clothes. The following year, she saw that Kirsten was being discontinued and asked for her, so that that doll could be the blonde-haired sister to her other doll. Can't say as I was disappointed that Kirsten came to live here :) DD and I both like her Saint Lucia outfit. Felicity is DD's other favorite doll, as she likes pioneer times but loves colonial times; given the choice, though, she wanted Kirsten, so we got some of Felicity's clothes separately, and she has the best of both worlds. :)

But yeah, that article pegged me about right re: Kirsten. :)