Math: Saxon 6/5 and CC drill supplements

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Latin: Latin's Not So Tough 5

Greek: Hey Andrew 5

Reading: McGuffey Fifth Eclectic Reader, McCall Crabbs D

Literature: VP 5, Writing Road to Reading 5th grade list

Writing: PreScripts Sentences and Passages and IEW Theme-based

Grammar: Essentials of the English Language

Spelling: Spelling Plus, Dictation Resource Book, Homophones Book, and EEL Guide for phonograms review

Bible: VP (all in one year using Sunday School pages), devotions, hymns, manners, daily Psalms and Proverbs, prayer

History: SOTW and VP mix in summer, CC for most of the year

Science: CC, RS4K, Apologia, and Tiner books

Geography: CC

Fine Arts: CC, music lessons (piano and maybe Suzuki violin)

Rhetoric: IEW Poetry Memorization and oral presentations at CC

Memory Work: CC, Character First, Catechism, AWANA, plus poetry as mentioned

Read alouds from Teaching the Classics and TJE

We notebook very simply for most subjects.....and our cycles revolve around CC. We have a ton of living books for all subjects as well.....

This is the plan for my 5th grade son:

Math - MM5

Science - Elemental Science Physics

History - Beautiful Feet World Geography

Literature - Either Mosdos Press Coral or Classical Literature using Classics in the Classroom

Writing - Winning With Writing

Spelling - Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary

Grammar - FLL4

Logic - Logic Safari

Latin - Great Latin Adventure

I don't have it all figured out yet. This year we focused on U.S. history and geography. Next tear we are doing MFW-ecc and we will supplement to make it more rigorous for dd.

Iew Fables, myths and Fairytales.

MUS Delta & Epsilon. LOF as well.

Spelling Wisdom ( continuing on its working beautifully for her)

Art - Meet the Masters and Mfw projects as well as sewing a quilt.

Still figuring it all out.

Here's what we have planned so far:

Math: finish BJU 5 and begin Saxon 7/6

Science: Apologia Physics and Chemistry elementary book

Writing: IEW SWI-B

Literature: working through Literary Lessons From the Lord of the Rings

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Vocabulary: either Caesar's English or Wordly Wise, possibly... not sure yet

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

World Geography & Cultures

also art and music and Creative Writing

We still have 10 weeks to do for this schoolyear, so I don't really feel ready for next year.

Dutch: Taalpuntnl 1 + CW Homer B (in Dutch)

English: All Right 2-3 (English-for-Dutch-students curriculum, grade 8-9)

Latin: Henle 1 (in Dutch)

Math: SM 6A+B (we use a Dutch translation of SM). I'm not really sure on what to do after this, I hope to use AoPS, but am not sure she can handle the English reading. In the mean time I'm adding Mathematics A Human Endeavor, to gently get her used to reading an English math text.

Science: made by me Biology course, using library books, DVDs and per DD's request a 7th grade Dutch Biology curriculum (we'll see how that goes).

History: Roman history, using FMOR+lapbook+booklist

Geography: Dutch curriculum grade 5+6 (focus: Europa + World)

Religion: Cathechism, Licht op ons pad 10-12 (2)

Art: BCP Art, Theater classes

Music: How to Introduce your Child to Classical Music, recorder lessons

PE: badminton

Reading the previous posts, I always get the feeling I need to do something formal for literature. I have no idea how or what. I think I have to listen to SWB's audio on Literary Analysis again :).

I also don't know if I want to assign a booklist, DD reads a lot but doesn't like reading when I assign it.

So exciting. After yrs of working within a narrow curriculum, ds' interest and abilities are fanning out. I have a more fleshed out schedule than ever before which we've been slowly working towards :D

Math: AOPS Intro to Algebra II/alternate with some classes he may like, some geometry as he loves

Language Arts: MCT Town, Killgallon, WWE

History: Human Odyssey I

Geography: Mapping the world with Art

Science: a) Outsourced :D, b.) ad hoc, discussion only

I will schedule books to be read- this part has been loosey goosey, but I will look for fiction related to what he's learning. Am considering Mosdos for literature and may tie this together as part of required reading.

I am not completely decided on every aspect yet, so this is subject to change, but these are my tentative plans at this point:

History: I put together my own thing (and shared it here if you're interested: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/2013/04/free-charlotte-masonliving-bookshands.html ) using Story of the World 3 and History of US 2-5 as the spines. I added activities and video links too. I think it'll be a fun year. :)

Science: Apologia Land Animals with journal (co-op class)

Math: MUS Epsilon

Language Arts: Wordly Wise 3000 book 5, Daily Grammar, Grammarland free audio, Hands of a Child lit guides, books for free reading, possibly AAA Spelling list 6 or 7

Art: Adventures in Art year 1

PE: co-op class

Music: composer studies using the AO list

I think that covers everything...

I try to combine this guy with his 4th grade sis to help with my time. This is the plan I have worked out for him so far:

Math: MUS gamma over the summer...he knows how to do complicated multiplication problems thanks to Horizons, but has no clue why he is doing any of it and still need so cement his facts (my failure). Then I think he will move through Delta quickly. We may even get started in Epsilon by the end of the year.

Spelling: fininsh Apples and Pears like we were supposed to this year, but mom has been lazy.

Other Lang. Arts: We have LLATL Purple to move onto when we finish Orange, but I may be switching us to a mixture of IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating, IEW's Fix it, and Killgallon's Story Grammar. Or, I may combine the two in one level of BJU English for simplicity.

History: either finish our BF American guide or Veritas Press self paced to free up my time

Science: Rod and Staff done independently

Bible: a devotion book for boys that he selected for personal time and Apologia's Who is God? as a family

Latin: new subject for our family this year, so I will be doing it with all the kids

He does a mixture of reading through the year selected by me or him. We also do read alouds as a family and I will do some Teaching the Classics type discussions.

He does Tae kwon do and bo staff several nights per week.

History, literature, poetry and independent reading: Sonlight Core H

Literature analysis - Deconstructing Penguins co op class taught by me :)

Spelling - Sequential Spelling 4

Grammar - Rod and Staff 5

Writing - Writing with Skill

Math - AoPS pre-algebra

Science - Apologia General Science (co op class)

Latin - Latina Christiana 2 (co op class)

Logic - Art of Argument (most likely, done mostly orally with his brother)

Religion - trying the religion part of Sonlight this year, which will be books read aloud by mom and discussed with the kids

P.E. - basketball and baseball

Hope I haven't left anything out...

Here goes....

Math: Abeka 5

Language Arts: Soaring with Spelling, Growing with Grammar, Winning with Writing, and Digging into Diagramming

History: SOTW 3 and The Complete Book of U.S. History (3-5) finish it.

Geography: The Complete Book of Maps and Geography (3-6) finish it.

Science:Scott Foresman

Literature: Plan on reading a book of my choice, probably a classic, per month. I think we will start out as read aloud for the first several months. then switch to him reading on his own.

I'm going to have a fifth grader? I can't believe it!

Math - Math Mammoth 4B and 5A

English - Intermediate Language Lessons Part 2

Galore Park Jr. English Book 3

Wordsmith Apprentice

History - Story of the World Volumer 4: Modern World and Activity Guide

Natural Science - Elementary Science Education (BFSU) 3-5, Exploring the World of Physics, Nature Study, and other living books about science, nature, and technology

Spanish - Rosetta Stone and So You Really Want to Learn Spanish

Geography - Asia Book I downloaded last year, Kingfisher Atlas, and Asia puzzle

Poetry - Poetry for Young People Series - Carroll and Longfellow

Music - Orchestra study, piano, and singing lessons

Dh is in charge of Art, and it's way too early for him to start planning ;) As for Literature, just some really good books and a Mosdos guide or two. I made a list.

He's going to continue doing his taekwondo and dance, and perhaps we'll be lucky enough to participate in the musical "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at the high school. Dh is thinking of doing Cub Scouts as well, and swimming will definitely be a part of our schedules.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but this is the gist of it :)

My boy will be 11 for 5th

These work so These are definite:
Local weekly PE class
Tennis lessons
MM5 - hoping to up the pace by reducing how many problems he does.
Hake6 grammar at half pace
Rod &Staff Spelling 6
MOH 2 with HITW passport to the middle ages projects, outlining & notebooking and some read aloud and reading taken from Sonlight, TOG, etc.
Map Trek Medieval
Bible: Long Story Shortrt and continuing to Old Story New http://www.amazon.com/Old-Story-New-Ten-Minute-Devotions/dp/1936768666/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y devotions which goes along with their Sunday school curriculum.
Monthly homeschool book club. Sometimes I read aloud, sometimes we listen to audio book in the car, sometimes they read the book.
Audio books in the car. currently listening to HP2. We've listened to countless classics and other good lit.

Planning to add
3 veritas Press lit guides: pinnochio, Mixed up Files, Robin Hood
Home Art Studio 4 tried MTM last year but did one lesson and didn't care for it
Logic countdown/liftoff

Ceasar's English
BJU science 5

Lively Latin

Writing
finishing up the following resources we have been going through:

Scholastic Paragraph Writing Made Easy (continued from summer)

WWE3 finish up the last 10 lessons

IEWSWIA - last 7 lessons

Bravewriter - I have partnership writing and would like to assign several of the writing lessons, adding in some Bravewriter Lifestlye habits (Tuesday Tea, literary elements, freewrite)

This is a hodgepodge of writing (combined with history writing).  I want to focus on writing, drawing out his skills so that he will be equipped and ready to handle the rigor of WWS next year.  I also hope to incorporate bravewriter ideas in an effort to improve his confidence and writing voice.

DS also has been enjoying LOF fractions this summer.  We will see if he hits a wall with it or if he continues to enjoy it.  If he does, we will keep it going.  I've heard it gets more challenging toward the end and I will have to gauge whether he is ready to tackle it or if we should table it for a while.

Ok - here goes. It is over scheduled; she will be combined with her 7th grade sister on a lot of things, but with different expectations. She is above grade level on Math. I can only afford to overload like this because our school district will pay for some of it and we school year round.

Bible Alone with God studies of Esther, Ruth & Jonah from Greek -n-stuff

Math ALEKS and LOF Pre-algebra

Language Arts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ MCTLA Town We will supplement it with the following:

Spelling Ă¢â‚¬â€œAVKO Sequential Spelling 4 & 5.

Writing Ă¢â‚¬â€œWWS1 & The Creative Writer, Level 1

Grammar - First Whole Book of Diagrams

Poetry Ă¢â‚¬â€œIEW curriculum Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization - Her favorite thing!

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Classical House of Learning Literature curriculum.

Keyboarding Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Individualized Keyboarding from AVKO will complement her Sequential Spelling work.

Social Studies Ă¢â‚¬â€œ will read SOTW2 this summer, then use Classical Historian Medieval History and some of Ă¢â‚¬Å“Medieval HistoryĂ¢â‚¬ from BF

Problem Based Learning Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Black DeathĂ¢â‚¬ from Royal Fireworks Press

Geography - Mainly Mapping the World with Art, supplemented with Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide, and Tiner's Exploring Planet Earth.

Current Events Ă¢â‚¬â€œ CNN Student News, watch and discuss; New York Times on-line Ă¢â‚¬Å“Learning NetworkĂ¢â‚¬ resources at http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/

Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Exploration Education Physical Science Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Intermediate Standard level. We will continue with the Ă¢â‚¬Å“Medieval and Renaissance ScienceĂ¢â‚¬ section of the Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Literature Based History of ScienceĂ¢â‚¬ from BF Books. Nature Study - finish MP Birds

Critical Thinking/Logic Red Herring Mysteries, Building Thinking Skills 3

Foreign Language Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Spanish - Duolingo or Rosetta Stone, Latin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ FFL from MP. Greek Ă¢â‚¬â€œ FFG from MP or Hey Andrew 4 (But I keep changing my mind about all foreign language curriculum)

Art & Music Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ă¢â‚¬Å“Medieval and RenaissanceĂ¢â‚¬ from Harmony Fine Arts and Ă¢â‚¬Å“A Literature Approach to the History of Classical MusicĂ¢â‚¬ from BF. The composers in BF are the same as the composers suggested to listen to in the HFA curriculum. Also local homeschool art, bells and choir groups, private Piano and Violin lessons, and church choir.

Physical Education Ă¢â‚¬â€œ homeschool PE class and Figure Skating

Psychology - Psychology for Kids

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't polished this yet, but it's getting close! So far for 5th:

Math: Finish MUS Delta & begin MUS Epsilon

Grammar: Easy Grammar + diagramming book

Spelling: SWO E

Writing: unsure

History: Complete History of the US + literature (not sure how this will look scheduled yet, have not started paper planning)

Geography: co-op

Science: Apologia Swimming Creatures (co-op) and something else at home (undecided, but possibly human body/health)

Latin: unsure

Extras: Art (co-op), artist/composer study

I think that's about it?

May use one of the Apologia Worldview books. Possibly Who is My Neighbor?

I'm planning for a 5th grader as well. I'm a tad nervous about it. Also planning for a 1st grader. Something about these two "grades" are putting me on edge. So far my plans look like this:

Language Arts: Continue with Bravewriter and Arrow guides. We started WWE late in the game so finish up WWE4 and hopefully (maybe?) look into WWS in the second half of the year. I've been contemplating using the Writer's Express curriculum for grammar review and to add a bit of "conventional" writing instruction. I would tweak this and pick and choose assignments and blend it into the BW lifestyle and writing philosophy. Mainly it's my dh getting nervous about the "conventional" writing instruction. :glare: I think his new job as the English GED instructor is going to his head. He's trespassing on my territory! ETA: also add in the new Bravewriter Partnership Writing and/or explore KISS Grammar online.

Continue with Sequential Spelling Level 4. Other than Arrow guides and free reading, and my own continued read alouds, I've decided to use Teaching with Favorite Newbery Books for lit studies. I've chosen 5 books to explore in more depth. My ds is allergic to practicing cursive, even though he has beautiful cursive, so I'm looking for something other than HWT to have him continue practicing. I have a Scholastic ebook that may do the job, and I'll let him work with it self-paced. I also want him to work with the BBC Typepad more often.

Math: Saxon 6/5 (if we get real close to finishing 5/4 this summer) and self-paced work with the Key To series.

Science: RS4K Biology level 1 and the rest of the year will be devoted to Science Explorer Environmental Science. Continue with OHC nature study and Private Eye (which we all do together, all ages). I also printed out Soda Pop, Sandwich Bag, and Coffee Can science from Scholastic for him and he's excited to set up his own explorations. ETA: Going with RSO Biology instead. 

History: History of US by Joy Hakim with Oxford University Press guides. Continue geography/culture units. I'll read them aloud and I've decided to have him read on his own The Complete Book of US History. (He won't read non-fiction and I want him to practice reading non-fiction silently to himself.)

(I'm planning 2 weeks of history rotated with 2 weeks of science.)

Also we will spend time with some free online computer programming websites. I think this will be tons of fun for him. I also plan on presenting the Montessori Great Lessons to all of them periodically.

Art will be to continue with DWC and HFA together and my 5th grader will have private painting lessons with a local artist.

Continue karate. And possibly start a new therapy routine with a private SLP who works solely with children on the ASD spectrum

I'm working out some mommy-made comparative religions studies and want to use the Philosophy for Children series.

Yes I know Latin and foreign lang is missing. :leaving: He can continue using the Roots Up cards and maybe I'll try to fit in Vocab from Classical Roots. Oh well! I think we'll be doing okay in spite of that.

• Like 1

Math: MM5, Jousting Armadillos

English: IEW SWI-B

Science: For SEA: Marine Biology 5th grade

Geography: Runkle World Physical Geography

History: Either Human Odyssey Ancients or OUP The World in Ancient Times

Latin: Memoria Press 1st Form

German: Not sure yet

Activities: Tennis, Violin

T's 5th grade is slowly taking shape. We'll try some stuff out over the summer and keep the keepers or substitute if it doesn't work out. I'd like to do:

SM 5 and possibly some of 6. This is tried and true for us. I may ditch the workbook and just use the IP and CWP books to speed things up a bit. We'll see. After 6B, I'm planning to try AoPS Pre-Algebra.

We'll probably order the Voyage Level of MCT, but before that I think we both need a bit of a break. I downloaded ILL and we'll try that out this summer. I also got Bravewriter and I'm going to experiment with that a bit too.

We're going to go through Practice Makes Perfect Basic Spanish. T needs to learn Spanish grammar, but it annoys her that she can't just say whatever pops into her head. This is definitely our hardest subject to tackle. She needs to learn the grammar but most of the grammar based books are meant for high school or adult learners and they're not appealing to her. I think the very plain layout of Basic Spanish will help because I can use it as a base to just explain the grammar points and then practice them together.

I'm also planning to start Latin with T. MCT uses it so much and it builds on her Spanish vocabulary, so I hope she'll enjoy it.

T is going to take literature, history, geography and astronomy online in the fall so I'll just handle math, LA, Spanish, Latin and class prep. Over the summer we're going to read some Science Explorer and World in Ancient Times books together and perhaps work through the Mosdos Coral book. It should be fun.

I am so done planning, but I think we worked out all the kinks!

Language Arts

Spelling, Reading, Some Grammar: We're working on improving her reading, and getting her up to grade level. She'll be using Reading Horizons primarily, with the Elson Readers (and the Teacher Guides/workbooks) on the side

Grammar: Grammar-Land, along with the free worksheets

Writing: Brave Writer - copywork, dictation, free-writing (I also have Write Source 2000 on hand)

Math

Finish Saxon 5/4, start Saxon 6/5

Literature

Lots of reading!

History, Science, and more

Sort of interest-led. We'll be rotating choices (dd, ds, and myself) through Landmark/World Landmark books for history, and All About books for science. Dd will also be going through a [auto]biography (free choice) each month, an additional science of her choosing every 2 weeks, roughly.

She'll be keeping a Book of Centuries, as well as a notebook/Main Lesson Book for history, science & geography.

Geography

We'll finish up The Complete Book of Marvels, and read through The Glorious Adventure. We watch a lot of "travel" documentaries as well, and "cooking around the world" type shows. We're working on cartography with National Geographic Maps, using the CK sequence for what to study.

Arts

We'll be watching the Leonard Bernstein series on youtube. We listen to a lot of classical music, like the Composer of the Month program on Classics for Kids, and the kids are very artistic. We like books like Using Color in Art as well, and the National Art Gallery Activity Book.

Logic/Philosophy

Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery and MindBenders

PE

Roller Derby!

Other

She enjoys cooking and fiber arts. My mom is teaching her to sew and crochet, and I'm going to teach her how to knit. She'll be learning some woodworking/carpentry with her dad.

Edited by momto2Cs
  • Like 1

This is my pretty much complete plan. We'll see if I'm compelled to add, subtract, or change anything once we get there :) All my boxes have arrived. I'm loving looking through everything!

History - HOD CtC

Math - CLE 4-500/LOF

Grammar - R&S 5

Writing - WWtB (Giving this a shot. We'll see how it goes.)

Literature - DITHOR 5/6

Poetry - HOD

Spelling - R&S 5 & HOD Dictation

Science - HOD CtC + Nature study

Bible - HOD + BSGfAA

Geography - HOD + Maps, Charts & Graphs

Literature - DITHOR 5/6

Penmanship - Pentime 5 & Copywork

Art - HOD & God & the History of Art

• 2 weeks later...

Grammar - Rod & Staff 6

Writing - Writing With Skill I, finish Killgallon Elementary Sentence Composing

Vocabulary - I'll probably have her memorize definitions for important terms she comes across in her science and history reading, and we'll also look at English words that are based on her Latin vocabulary.

Poetry - MCT's level 5 poetry curriculum

Math - Singapore 5, LOF Decimals & Percents and Fractions

History and Literature - WTM-Style Middle Ages/Early Renaissance, maybe VP Online self-paced class for fun and reinforcement

Science - CPO Earth Science, will probably add some documentaries and additional reading

Latin - Latin for the New Millenium - we will begin working through this together slowly

Chinese - My First Chinese Reader Vol. 3 and 4

Logic - Building Thinking Skills & Mindbenders

Music - piano, and we'll study a couple composers

Art - not sure yet, maybe an outside class

Other - she wants to do some Scratch programming and will be taking a lot of dance classes. She also wants to learn to knit something more difficult than a scarf. :)

Roller derby for PE wins the thread. Hardly seems worth posting my 5th grade plans after that.

ENGLISH

Galore Park, So You Really Want to Learn English, Book 1 (analysis, composition)

Drums, Scribner School Ed. with study guide (close reading)

Poetry with Pleasure (poetry)

Word Wealth Junior (vocabulary, spelling)

1920 My Book House, 1902 Young Folks' Library, Alfred Church children's classics (literature)

FRENCH

Weekly lesson

BJU French

LATIN

Artes Latinae

Memorization of mass prayers

GREEK

Athenaze

MATH

AoPS Intermediate Algebra, Counting and Probability

Math team

SCIENCE

TOPS: Graphing; Analysis; Pressure & Buoyancy; Pi in the Sky; Earth, Moon, and Sun; Cohesion/Adhesion

Golden Guides: Botany, Zoology, Ecology, Weather, Geology

MUSIC

Piano lessons

How to Introduce Your Child to Classical Music

HISTORY/CIVICS

Landmark history series

Everyday Law for Young Citizens

RELIGION

My Catholic Faith (catechism)

The Mass Explained to Children (liturgy)

PHYSICAL EDUCATION

Running, swimming

• Like 1

Dd age 10/5th

Bible -- daily reading

Math --

Cybershala online algebra class 3x/wk

enVision5 at ALE 2x/wk

finish TT Alg 1

History --

Human Odyssey Vol. 1

Social Studies - 'History Alive' class at ALE 2x/wk

Science --

Hakim - The Story of Science

Science class/labs at ALE 2x/wk

LA --

MCT

homegrown lit

writing class at ALE 2x/wk

Music --

private voice & piano lessons

PE --

tennis, snow skiing

Tech --

Scratch

Lego Robotics NXT

TechTools class at ALE

Art--

local class

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Almost finished up, now working on lesson plans and final purchasing. We just started homeschooling last year, so this researching and planning has been quite an experience. It is great to read through this thread and see all these great resources, especially for somebody new like me.

Language Arts - MCT Town level with Caesar's English I and Building Poems

Reading - Unit studies of "The History of the Horse" from Beautiful Feet to guide us in reading choices and writing assignments. I want to take advantage of how into horses she is right now.

Writing - The Write Source

Spelling - Rod & Staff 5

Bible - still haven't chosen something yet

History - CLP Exploring American History as an outline combined with hands-on projects, living history events, and historical fiction. I also ordered Beautiful Feet's "American HIstory through Literature"

Geography - Maps, Charts, and Graphs Level D and E

Science - Life Sciences using WoC The Ecology Book, Exploring Creation with Botany, AiG The World of Animals, and The Science of Life: projects & experiments

Math - Primary Math 5, LoF, and Math Mammoth units if she needs extra help. I keep going back and forth on ordering PM 4 too, just to skim through and do some of the activities. She is math minded and probably wouldn't have trouble jumping into 5, but I don't want her to miss out on some of the concrete activities to make sure her foundation is really solid.

Extras - Art through a coop, figure skating, ballet, either clarinet or fiddle lessons (she has yet to pick), Girl Scouts and maybe Awanas this year.

We are beginning our foray into the logic stage this year. I'm a little apprehensive, but here it is....

Grammar - R&S

Spelling - Spelling Workout

Reading - A Beka 5th Grade

Math - Singapore

Bible - God's Great Covenant

Logic - Mind Benders

History - History Odessey (very tweaked version)

Science - Earth Science (I created a curriculum based on TWTM's recs for earth science using How the Earth Works as a spine)

Latin - First Form 1

Greek - Greek Alphabet Code Crackers

Spanish - Rosetta Stone

Fine Arts - Artistic Pursuits and composer studies

• 2 years later...

We are very relaxed homeschoolers... close to unschoolers. DD is a rising fifth grader. She really wants to go to school, but it is not the right thing for her this year. I gave her the option of working hard to be ready academically (not hard) or staying relaxed. DD has asked to work harder this year at math at language arts. I am ok with her going to 6th the following year depending upon her maturity. She hopes to place into grade 6 GT classes in Fall of 2016 if we decide to send her to school then and if she still wants to. 

Math: 

Life of Fred (new to the series... so apples?)

Khan Academy Arithmetic skills and grade 5

Math Mammoth 5

Language Arts:

EIW 5

Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4/5/6

Spelling Power 6

Is there anything else you would add? 

I don't think I'd do Apples with a 5th grader. It's pretty basic. Mine started with Ice Cream, but she wasn't really strong on math. A stronger math student would start with Kidneys. And I'd pick either LoF or Khan Academy, but not both. That's a lot of math to do in addition to MM. 

What kind of literature will she be studying? We used a couple of literature units from Moving Beyond the Page and are trying out a unit of Bravewriter's language arts programs for variety. Other than that, DD read a list of good books I came up with. 

I don't think I'd do Apples with a 5th grader. It's pretty basic. Mine started with Ice Cream, but she wasn't really strong on math. A stronger math student would start with Kidneys. And I'd pick either LoF or Khan Academy, but not both. That's a lot of math to do in addition to MM. 

What kind of literature will she be studying? We used a couple of literature units from Moving Beyond the Page and are trying out a unit of Bravewriter's language arts programs for variety. Other than that, DD read a list of good books I came up with. 

Doesn't LOF recommend starting all students with apples?

No. For K-4th, Apples is the recommended starting place. For 5th and 6th, the recommendation is to start with Kidneys. The website says that some 5th and 6th graders may benefit from doing the last 2 books of the elementary series (Ice Cream and Jellybeans), also. 

I always get great ideas from threads like this and then it messes up my own plans.

Here is my plan so far:

Math: THis is a focus for us this year because we have really struggled.  At the end of last year I switched programs to MM and we've gone back to lvl 3, though we are skipping some parts that we have already learned sucessfully.  So we are going to continue to plow through it, and get lvl 3 and 4 covered and solid by June.  I think this should go well - just changing programs has made a huge difference in our lessons.

French: The easy French 1A.

History: Term 1, SOTW 3.  Term 2, My First history of Canada.  Timeline and map work for both.

Geography: Sailing Alone Around the World with  mapwork.

Science: Nature study with focus on weather and insects.  She is keeping a detailed weather log including rain measurements and other observations, and will do some different analysis once it starts to snow and we wrap that up.  We'll read Fabre's insect book and some short biographies of scientists.

Religion: We are going to read Like's gospel and use Luke for Everyone by N.T. Wright as a guide.  We'll do some church history as well but I am not sure what I will do for that - maybe just a biographical approach.

Literature: Midsummer Night's Dream, Puck of Pook's Hill, Anne of Green Gables, Owls In the Family, The Iron Ring, The Princess and Curdie.  For poetry we are reading Evangeline, The Cremation of Sam McGee, The Song My Paddle Sings, and ome Burnes and Blake.

Art and music: Artist studies on Rembrandt and Turner.  Some chapters from A Child's History of Art.  Some drawing instruction on natural objects.  Choir, piano, violin.

Other: Intramural basketball and the second lvl sewing class at the fabric store.  Cooking basics.

ETA - I forgot LA.  It's pretty straightforward dictation and copywork from our other texts, and there will be some written narrations - one a week to start.  We'll do some memory work as well, I think mostly poetry.  We'll finish Sequential Spelling 1 which we started mid year but I don't know if we will do more spelling beyond that, as it seems to have solved the problem it was intended to.

We are trying out a local co-op for most of the subjects.  It is the type of co-op where they learn the concepts for the week in class and we do the rest of the week's assignments at home.

At co-op:

Math: Mr. D pre-algebra (online math professor out of Sarasota, FL)

Literature: novels include Treasure Island, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Where the Red Fern Grows, Laddie:  A True Blue Story, and A Christmas Memory

Writing/Grammar:  Writing With Style combined with Analytical Grammar

Science:  middle school chemistry and physics (cannot remember the curriculum)

Robotics

Piano

On our own:

Spelling:  AAS Level 5

History:  ugh.  Cannot make up my mind. He is off cycle because his older brother used to be homechooled.  We are scheduled for 1600-Civil War.  I have Notgrass America the Beautiful but it isn't doing it for me. 

Geography:  Trail Guides to World History (we did US last year).  Not a favorite, but it gets done.

President study: reading books about US presidents and doing notebooking pages - 1 per week (may drop this and just memorize the presidents in order)

Logic:  Mind Benders and whatever else WTM recommends