Menu

If you dress up for church....

kbpaulie

1 Samuel 16:7: But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

John 7:24: Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.

(Both are from the New International Version.)

We have to read all of Scripture to get a clearer picture of some things.

God gave explicit directions to the priests as to their clothing, which was very elaborate--definitely clothing that man would look upon. And we have more than one instance where someone bathed and washed and generally cleaned himself up before going to the temple or to see the king or whatnot, clearly an indication that the outward appearance does matter.

IOW, the verses you quote do not mean that it isn't important to dress less like a day at the beach and more like going into the house of God to worship Him.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe we should show respect to God. That is why I spend a lot of time on my knees.

Yes, He sees into our hearts. I want Him to see that I respect Him enough to give Him my best effort. I don't want Him to see that I cared so little as to enter His house in workout clothes or pajamas. My best effort may be jeans. That may be a day when I'm not at my best for any number of reasons. He will look into my heart and see I'm not taking a visit to him as a visit to the supermarket or the garden.

Some people only have good jeans. Some people may wear the same clothes each week to church because that is the best they have. So be it. It is not our place to judge. Ever.

One must follow one's own conscious. On a personal note I do believe the " do what feels good" along with the " we are too casual for that" people did us a bit of a disservice. Time and place must be considered in all things.

We dress up for church but like we were going out to a restaurant, not to a ball or some other very formal event. WHat that means to my husband is collared shirt, a sport coat sometimes, non jean pants, and occasionally a suit. Rarely a tie. For us females, it means looking nice in dresses, skirts and blouses or sweaters or nice t-shirts (not with writing but fancy kind), or pants (again not jeans). We go to the more formal service where most dress like this but there are some who do wear jeans. My son ended up wearing a t-shirt and shorts for Christmas Eve. I didn't like that but he said it was his only clean clothes, so of course we would rather him come then not. We have a contemporary first service but even if our family goes to that, we still dress like we are going out to a nice restaurant. We just feel like that honors God.

Oh and I totally agree with a pp who said she dresses up and has made sure she has comfortable more formal clothing. That is what I have done too and what one of my dd's has decided to do. The other still considers looking great more important than comfort but the two of us combine comfort with nice clothes.

The culture of the particular church is what I see going on here. House fellowship lends itself to a more casual dress, perhaps, as do beach churches, many mega-churches, and almost every church I went to when I lived in San Diego.

Somehow I doubt that the apostles were fellowshipping and worshipping together in expensive and new clothing, but I"m sure they were CLEAN. I'm not sure why some posters have taken casual to equal unclean, unshowered, and sloppy. Clean, nice jeans with cute flats (summer) or boots (winter) and a nice top is, to ME, perfectly acceptable. *I* don't judge others by saying "You are submitting to peer pressure because of your PRIDE when you insist on dressing up", and I would hope others don't judge me because I wear jeans to church.

Fortunately, at my Anglican church, many dress up (the older crowd) and many wear nice jeans or casual slacks, and nobody cares. Everyone has welcomed us with open arms. We live in the desert where it is 115 in the summer, and we routinely wear nice shorts. *gasp* God bless them for their non-judgemental hearts.

1 Samuel 16:7: But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

John 7:24: Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.

(Both are from the New International Version.)

You're taking both out of context, which is text proofing.You can prove anything through text proofing.

Who do you think it was that gave the directions on how to build the temple? The Holy of Holies?

Who do you think gave the directions on what the priests were to wear?

What makes you think Christ wasn't well dressed?

Does God contradict Himself?

Fortunately, at my Anglican church, many dress up (the older crowd) and many wear nice jeans or casual slacks, and nobody cares. Everyone has welcomed us with open arms. We live in the desert where it is 115 in the summer, and we routinely wear nice shorts. *gasp* God bless them for their non-judgemental hearts.

Father puts that in because as you can imagine, young girls come in wearing next to nothing. I think we both can agree that is inappropriate, and it's quite a shame it has to be even said.

Father puts that in because as you can imagine, young girls come in wearing next to nothing. I think we both can agree that is inappropriate, and it's quite a shame it has to be even said.

Oh yes, I agree. Dressing scantily is not appropriate unless one is on the beach or in a pool, and for the reasons you've mentioned, it seems especially out of place at church. Respect! I agree completely.

I just think my jeans/heels/scarves/sweaters are respectful. But if I were in a different church culture, where wearing an outfit like this would make me stand out like a sore thumb, I probably would dress up more. Or choose a different church.

Clean, nice jeans with cute flats (summer) or boots (winter) and a nice top is, to ME, perfectly acceptable. *I* don't judge others by saying "You are submitting to peer pressure because of your PRIDE when you insist on dressing up", and I would hope others don't judge me because I wear jeans to church.

Exactly!

I dress for church for the same reasons many others have stated: respect for the occasion, habit, local church culture, etc.

Two personal observations:

1. Dressing as I do everyday would not make me feel "more comfortable". I would in fact feel quite uncomfortable.

2. I am somewhat baffled why I should be required to justify what I wear.

Does anyone who "dresses up" for church have any biblical basis for it? I'm curious.

Isaiah 52:1

1Corinthians 16:29 (correction: that should read 1 Chronicles 15:29)

2Samuel 12:20

Is there anywhere a biblical basis for being casual when approaching/worshiping God?

Isaiah 52:1

1Corinthians 16:29

2Samuel 12:20

Is there anywhere a biblical basis for being casual when approaching/worshiping God?

First of all, let me apologize if my post seemed gruff. I really wanted to know any scriptures people used to support the idea of dressing up for fellowship. I do have strong feelings about this, but I would sincerely like to discuss/debate any scriptural basis for gettin' all snazzy to go to church.

Those are some interesting scriptures. The verse in Isaiah is, of course, speaking to the old covenant, which we are no longer under There were many rules regarding all sorts of things, including dress, under the old covenant that we are not required to practice now.

Secondly, there is no 1 Cor. 16:29, and I can't figure out what verse you meant to put.

The verse in Samuel is from when David had been lying in the dirt for seven days, fasting and weeping for his dying son, and then he gets up and cleans himself up, worships, and eats once the child dies. I see nothing in this scripture about dressing up to go to church. It's all about how David reacted to the death of his son. I get that he cleaned himself up before going to worship. I don't think we'd disagree that one should likely take a bath and change their clothes if they've been fasting and praying in the dirt for seven days. :) It doesn't say he put on any sort of different clothes to go worship than he would've put on to, say, go see Bathsheba, go visit a brother, etc.

Chucki, I hope you understand, I'm not trying to tell you you shouldn't dress up. I'm just challenging those who do to give me a scriptural basis for NEEDING to. It's a topic I enjoy debating. Hope you understand I'm not trying to pick on you.

I find it interesting that reducing the seriousness of the ceremony of weddings and church are the way people excuse their lack of taking those ceremonies seriously.

It could be that for a Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, with our belief that Christ is physically present in the Eucharist, that when we receive the Eucharist we are at the Table of God, it is a much more serious thing than just a gathering of friends in a house to sing together.

I don't think relativism is the answer to this. I think that we, as a society, have lost the ability to celebrate an occasion with pomp and circumstance it deserves because 'we're all just being real', and in that, we bring down the occasion, we reduce it. In our pride, we say, This Occasion doesn't deserve dress, after all dress doesn't matter--but actually, it matters greatly.

What it says about us is that we care so little, we find nothing to dress up for anymore. That's more of a commentary on our culture.

Ouch.

What makes you think Christ wasn't well dressed?

Jesus dined with prostitutes and tax collectors. It seems that appearances did not matter to Him.

I've heard the "you wear your best to show honor to God" argument for years. I don't find any Scriptural basis for this. I believe this is one way we turn off young people to the church and Christianity--when we elevate culture or a tradition and make is a Christian standard. It is a type of legalism.

I think you should dress for the occasion. Formal wedding = formal clothing. Picnic = casual clothing. Banking job = dress clothes. Computer programming job = casual clothes. Church where most members dress up = dress clothes. Church where people dress informally = casual clothing.

My husband works with computer programmers. This is an office of guys making six figure salaries that are dressing like lawn care workers. No one cares. It does not affect job performance, and these guys would say they are far more comfortable doing their job.

Culture is changing. It is becoming more casual. Many may object to this, but it doesn't change things. Many, many young people are just more comfortable going to church wearing their everyday clothes. I'm just glad they are in church--jeans and all.

Chucki, I hope you understand, I'm not trying to tell you you shouldn't dress up. I'm just challenging those who do to give me a scriptural basis for NEEDING to. It's a topic I enjoy debating. Hope you understand I'm not trying to pick on you.

No, no problem. I knew it was a sincere request.

I know there are different interpretations and such and I figured not everyone would see the verses quoted in the same light. The whole out of context thing and all. It is like Mouse said a while ago, most anyone can quote a verse from the Bible to enforce their stand.

The Samuel verse says to me to not go to worship in the grubby clothes one wore to work or play (or lying in the dirt for a week). But to you it may say something else. You and I are looking at things from a vastly different perspective.

I have to look at the Corinthians thing again. I read it, typed it and put it away.

Oh, it wasn't even Corinthians. It was Chronicles. Try 1 Chronicles 16:29.

That is also in the OT and as you said you don't believe OT applies so you may not find that one pertinent either. I look at Paul saying that all the OT examples were written for our instruction (1Cor. 10:11) and don't disregard the OT in its entirety just because of the new Covenant. Yes, that is Corinthians.

The argument could be made that Jesus wore his best at the Last Supper and beyond due to the soldiers dividing his costly seamless garment in John 19

And I sincerely wouldn't mind knowing if there is any basis for dressing down before the Lord.

And I sincerely wouldn't mind knowing if there is any basis for dressing down before the Lord.

Who is arguing that we should "dress down before the Lord," though? The argument is not that we should dress down or that we should not dress up but that it isn't necessary/holier/more caring and respectful to dress up or dress significantly better than you do in everyday life when you go to church.

I don't dress down. I dress the same. I wear the same kinds of clothes for fellowship as I do for my everyday life sort of things. Honestly, the only times I 'dress up' are for funerals and weddings. And I do that because of cultural expectaitions; it has nothing to do with religion.

I totally get that dressing up for church can be a tradition/cultural expectation thing. I grew up going to church three times a week in a dress. I get it.

I just don't believe that one could say 'The Bible directs us to dress nicely when meeting with other believers'. That's all.

But it also doesn't direct us not to, right? And so we look at the bigger picture, which is : Which shows more respect when entering into the presence of God for Divine Services? When did priests wear clothes that were different than their every day wear? There is SOME indirect biblical basis for this approach of wearing better clothes for divine services. We don't mean dressed to the nines, BTW. We mean clean, nice clothing that might be set apart for church, as opposed to our everyday wear.

I don't think Mouse's statement above was supposed to be an "ouch" for those that worship at home. It was just a comment on how we view our services and our church (which you don't share, which is fine). We see the Eucharist as the body and blood of Christ (hence, we're in His Presence), which there's plenty of biblical backing for. We see the church building as something set apart for God (not that He isn't everywhere present, even in our Homes, but that we have consecrated a place for Him, too). Etc. She was just comparing two approaches, not trying to make a jab.

Who is arguing that we should "dress down before the Lord," though? The argument is not that we should dress down or that we should not dress up but that it isn't necessary/holier/more caring and respectful to dress up or dress significantly better than you do in everyday life when you go to church.

I did not see that as the argument. IMHO the opposite of dressing up is dressing down therefore if one is arguing not dressing up then one is arguing for dressing down. I'm currently in yoga pants, a long sleeve tee and an old cardigan. This is being dressed down. If I get any further down I'd be in pajamas. I'm certainly not going to wear yoga pants to church so dressing one level up is still dressing up.

I've been asked why I dress up before. I don't take offense at the question and give my answer. What is interesting to me is that I know that I could never ever ask someone why they didn't dress up without them taking offense and thinking that I was judging them. Fortunately I don't care what anyone else is wearing or why. I understand that churches have cultures. But I make my decisions as to how I think God wants me to act and yes, that has meant that I've gone against church culture a time or two. But I don't understand the heat in this thread. Dress how you want. Have reasons and be at peace with God.

I just don't believe that one could say 'The Bible directs us to dress nicely when meeting with other believers'. That's all.

Okay. I was not specifically asking you about Biblical reference for dressing down. Just in general if anyone can come up with a reference.

As for the above quote, I do believe the Bible admonishes us to be better than normal when encountering the Lord. We will have to drop it with that as we won't change each others mind.

But I don't understand the heat in this thread. Dress how you want. Have reasons and be at peace with God.

:iagree: The question was asked "Why do you dress up?" The question was answered by many who do. Why poke at them if one believes differently? This is what we believe and why. No one is asking anyone to believe this is better or in some way more holy. No one is asking those who do things differently to change. I don't understand the arguing.

(Bethany, I though your first question directed at me was very kind and not in any way argumentative.)

Jesus dined with prostitutes and tax collectors. It seems that appearances did not matter to Him.

I've heard the "you wear your best to show honor to God" argument for years. I don't find any Scriptural basis for this. I believe this is one way we turn off young people to the church and Christianity--when we elevate culture or a tradition and make is a Christian standard. It is a type of legalism.

I think you should dress for the occasion. Formal wedding = formal clothing. Picnic = casual clothing. Banking job = dress clothes. Computer programming job = casual clothes. Church where most members dress up = dress clothes. Church where people dress informally = casual clothing.

My husband works with computer programmers. This is an office of guys making six figure salaries that are dressing like lawn care workers. No one cares. It does not affect job performance, and these guys would say they are far more comfortable doing their job.

Culture is changing. It is becoming more casual. Many may object to this, but it doesn't change things. Many, many young people are just more comfortable going to church wearing their everyday clothes. I'm just glad they are in church--jeans and all.

What makes you think that the tax collectors and prostitutes weren't well dressed? The tax collectors were probably pretty rich, I'm betting that they were quite spiffed up.

Though, Christ wasn't worried about His 'appearance' His physical standing and dining with them and how others thought of HIs relationship with them.

We own our own company. We make six figures. Dh wears jeans, and a polo to work every day. He doesn't work for Wall Street, where he would have to wear a suit, or the Secret Service where he would have dress in what they told him too...

That line of thinking doesn't make any sense.

There are job positions that will never ever stop having to dress formally. It has *Nothing* to do with the $, it has everything to do with the position. Which is exactly my point. It is a sign of humility to the office that one holds to dress according to the office.

If I'm going to worship God and I have the ability to wear something that is set apart from my everyday wear, I should.

Ouch.

I'm sorry, that wasn't directed at you--it was a contrast of spaces. <3

-caught up. It is like Milovany said, I can and do meet God everywhere. But we have a special consecrated place for Him physically, in the Tabernacle.

We also have a special consecrated space for Him in our hearts, where we are encouraged to treat our bodies as holy and to not deface them or mar them (please do not jump to the conclusion that I'm talking about tatts, errybody!), there are other things that physically and spiritually mar our bodies.

So, if you extrapolate treating your body as the Tabernacle, and going to visit the tabernacle...

I dress up as a sign of respect to God. I wouldn't go on a job interview or lunch with the President in jeans and flip-flops, so why would I go worship God in casual attire? If someone came in our church in jeans, no one would think much of it. We are actually a pretty conservative church, but we have a lot of different types of people there.

I think that God doesn't care what we wear to church as long as it's not immodest. He desires true worshipers who love Him and want to seek His will for their lives.

That being said, I think that any church you attend you should take into account THAT congregation's norms or expectations. For example at our church, since I am the preacher's wife, the older people expect me and our children to dress nicely for Sunday morning worship. For us that means myself and the girls in dresses, dh in a suit and tie, and the little guy in nice slacks and a nice shirt. Every once in a while I wear a nice pair of slacks to church as well. I could go to worship with a bad attitude about it complaining and grumbling how it's not fair, etc. Do I think it matters to God what my family wears? NO. Does it matter to other members? Yes. Would it affect them in a negative way to see the preacher and his family dressed "down"? Yes. So I choose to give up my "right" to dress how I prefer to not be a stumbling block to other believers. And I do so willingly and cheerfully. It's not a big deal to me.

I have a very good friend who grew up attending the same denomination in California. Her home church's standard was much more relaxed for worship services. Many of those who attended wore jeans, shorts, flip flops, tank tops, etc. I don't have a problem with that either. If I attended that church then I would look very out of place wearing a nice dress, hose, and heels. I might make the members uncomfortable with my attire. So I would willingly give up my "right" to dress how I prefer to not be a stumbling block to those that attend that church.

Neither option is "right" or "wrong" in my opinion. What would be wrong, would be to do what you want to do in regards to dress KNOWING that it made other worshipers uncomfortable and difficult for them to focus on the service. Are you wrong for what you are wearing? No. Are they wrong for being upset and uncomfortable at what you are wearing? I think so, but IMO, it's not a hill to die on. Paul talks about giving up his rights as a Christian so that those who are weaker in their faith are not pushed away from Christ. I believe how we dress at church falls under this category.

All of this being said, at our church their are people who attend wearing jeans, boots, and a cowboy hat to women wearing dresses that I would consider wearing to a cocktail party. No one feels out of place, as far as I know, but if I really wanted to attend a congregation where the norm and the expected was to wear dressy clothing to services, then I would try to do that for the harmony and understanding of that church.

I only own about 4 church "outfits" and just rotate them out each week. It's not that big of a hassle and heels are definitely not necessary. I prefer cute ballet flats, a skirt, and a nice top.

ETA: I would NEVER judge someone's respect for God based upon what they wore to church. Being a preacher's wife, I've seen plenty of people dressed to the nines for worship who have zero respect for God in their every day lives and vice versa.

I use to go to a church that dressed up. I quit going because we were newly married without a lot of extra money, and I could not afford clothes for work (business casual) clothes for home AND dresses, hose and heels for church. And I really don't think God wants us in debt just so we can Worship Him. I am now a homemaker and we go to a casual church. I always make sure that I have a pair of black jeans and a couple of nice shirts for church AND for 'going out'. For summer, I have a nice pair of white or khaki capris. I USUALLY get make up and earrings in for church also. :)

I did not see that as the argument. IMHO the opposite of dressing up is dressing down therefore if one is arguing not dressing up then one is arguing for dressing down. I'm currently in yoga pants, a long sleeve tee and an old cardigan. This is being dressed down. If I get any further down I'd be in pajamas. I'm certainly not going to wear yoga pants to church so dressing one level up is still dressing up.

If I go by this, then we all do dress up for church. Dd is in jeans, but she trades out her Converse for flats and her hoodie for a nice sweater/top. She's there every Sunday and for the first time in a really long time she's actually happy about going. She fought trying the Catholic Church but she's been very impressed, and one of the things she's impressed about is that our local parish does not put an emphasis on appearance for Sunday morning.

I have zero problems with those who feel it's appropriate to wear dressy clothes to church, but I don't think it's a standard everyone must follow. I don't feel those that don't follow it are missing out on anything, and I definitely don't think it means they lack respect.

If I go by this, then we all do dress up for church. Dd is in jeans, but she trades out her Converse for flats and her hoodie for a nice sweater/top. She's there every Sunday and for the first time in a really long time she's actually happy about going. She fought trying the Catholic Church but she's been very impressed, and one of the things she's impressed about is that they do not put an emphasis on appearance for Sunday morning.

I have zero problems with those who feel it's appropriate to wear dressy clothes to church, but I don't think it's a standard everyone must follow. I don't feel those that don't follow it are missing out on anything, and I definitely don't think it means they lack respect.

Perfect.

Like anything else there are degrees to dressing up. To use Nono's example of Saturday evening beach mass, I'm not going to show up in my bikini. It may be on under a billowy skirt and a tank top. Actually when I lived at the beach the bikini was under the skirt and the tank top. I left church and went to the beach.

I may not wear my little black dress to church, but I'm not going directly from scrubbing the toilet to mass without changing into something just a little nicer.

If one is comfortable wearing the clothing they used in the garden or scrubbing out the oven or workout clothes by all means have at ti. For me and mine we will do it differently. That doesn't make us better, just different.

Oh come now. "Appearances" when it pertains to Jesus dining with prostitutes and tax collectors and "appearances" when it pertains to the kind of clothing being worn are two different things.

And the fact that our culture is becoming more casual doesn't mean it's a good thing. Just sayin'...

Must there be a "biblical" basis for it?

Of course not. I get that some things are done purely out of tradition or cultural norms.

However, there ARE those who would say that the Bible instructs us to dress up for fellowship, and I was curious as to what particular scriptures they would quote. I find this an interesting topic is all.

If I go by this, then we all do dress up for church. Dd is in jeans, but she trades out her Converse for flats and her hoodie for a nice sweater/top. She's there every Sunday and for the first time in a really long time she's actually happy about going. She fought trying the Catholic Church but she's been very impressed, and one of the things she's impressed about is that our local parish does not put an emphasis on appearance for Sunday morning.

I think the point is that I am not going to go to church --for instance in what I am wearing now. Sweats, an old thermal and a turtleneck that I've had since I was a teenager. I will run upstairs and put on something more appropriate.

I was sitting and talking to some local nuns about all of this not too long ago, and I asked, specifically, if their parents ever required them to dress up.

What a conversation.

One Sister was from the Philippines, and grew up very poor. But her mother had Sunday clothes. They were ONLY to be worn on Sunday, and though they were mended, they were clean and pressed.

Once, Sister wanted to wear her Sunday best to a party when she was a teen, and mother put her foot down. No. They were Sunday clothes, for church only as that was the best they had and what God deserved. Her mother asked her if she wanted church to be special, something that is not just a party, not a work day. That's when Sister said it clicked for her.

She was the one that taught me to pick out the best clothes and reserve them. They are for Sunday only.

Plus, it makes dressing up easier. :p

Perfect.

Like anything else there are degrees to dressing up. To use Nono's example of Saturday evening beach mass, I'm not going to show up in my bikini. It may be on under a billowy skirt and a tank top. Actually when I lived at the beach the bikini was under the skirt and the tank top. I left church and went to the beach.

I may not wear my little black dress to church, but I'm not going directly from scrubbing the toilet to mass without changing into something just a little nicer.

If one is comfortable wearing the clothing they used in the garden or scrubbing out the oven or workout clothes by all means have at ti. For me and mine we will do it differently. That doesn't make us better, just different.

:iagree:

We are a casual family. I love casual. In the past years we've mostly gone to a casual-dress mega church. We curently attend a church where you have jeans and suits. We've been visiting a church where we have a lot of connections - everyone dresses up. Why is this important? I feel stressed trying to pick out something to wear. I feel like a fake b/c I'm trying to fit in w/ everyone else rather than be who I really am and I want God and the folks there to accept me for who I am.

So, tell me why it's important for you to dress up for church. What would you do if someone in jeans walked into your dressed up church?

Well, back in my day (insert crochety Grandma voice here), you dressed up for church because you were going into God's house and you were to show Him the respect that lesser mortals got.

Today, it isn't uncommon to see someone roll into church in a bathing suit, T shirt and flip flops, and watching him pull out his Krispy Kreme doughnut to eat during church.

I still lean toward dressing up because I was raised that way. It just seems proper and appropriate to dress as well to go to Church as I would dress to go anywhere else I considered remotely important. But I'm a little more casual today or I would stick out like a sore thumb.

What would I do? Absolutely nothing. It isn't my place to do anything and everyone should dress as his own conscience dictates (which will vary among generations). I will never forget the story Jesse DuPlantis told about being a long-haired rocker in the 60's-70's when he got saved. He went to the front of the church during the altar call (with long hair and jeans) overcome with repentance for his sins - and was told by the deacons to "come back later with a suit on and we will talk to you".

He didn't go back there ever, or anywhere for a long time.

We attend a very casual church. Casual like, the pastor dresses in a polo and shorts for our service in the summer. But, we also attend Saturday evening service... and as others have pointed out, it is much more casual than Sunday mornings. I imagine the pastor doesn't wear shorts on Sunday mornings. :) But when we go to Saturday service, I wear nice jeans with a nice top or sweater, and yes, makeup and hair are done. Compared to me sitting in lounge pants and a t-shirt on my sofa right now, that *is* dressed up, LOL. My husband and son usually wear jeans with nicer shirts. If we attended on Sundays, we might go more the business casual route, and I'd guess that's fairly standard, although many people wear jeans even on Sundays.

As an issue of respect and honor, we would never wear ratty or dirty clothes, or anything too immodest. Yes, we do see that in church occasionally and although I'm glad people are attending regardless, I wish that everyone would embrace a minimum of modesty.

I really do think the culture of the church, and even specific services or events within the church, are important to look at when discussing dress. There's nothing wrong with a dress and heels (no pantyhose, though, I agree those come straight from Hades), or with jeans, a sweater, and loafers. It's more about the culture.

Similar to what justamouse said. If I were going to an important dinner with the governor, or to meet someone I considered important, or to go to an important celebration with people I loved, I would put some thought into what I wear. This is what church is - the Lord's Supper, meeting with God and the community of believers He's placed me in. "Dressing up" varies according to culture and income, but there is always a standard. It means putting my own comfort and desires behind the honor of others.

:iagree:

I think this is what some people here are referring to and feeling judged about...it has been implied (or stated) that there is a lack of respect and seriousness about a person's feeling towards God - and by extrapolation, relationship with Jesus - if they wear jeans to church. How in the world can you possibly know my heart, my love for God, my relationship with Him, the depth of my faith, the fruit of my life in Christ, etc., all from not wearing a "set apart" outfit to church?

Again, if my church culture was such that everyone wore dressy clothes, I would too, or find another church that is a better fit. My church runs the gamut on clothing, everyone is loving and welcoming, and I'm thankful for that.

...it has been implied (or stated) that there is a lack of respect and seriousness about a person's feeling towards God - and by extrapolation, relationship with Jesus - if they wear jeans to church....

I respectfully disagree with this very much. Stating that we choose to show respect by wearing nice clothes does not then have to mean that we think those that don't are being disrespectful when they don't. For me, personally, it shows disrespect if I wear my less-nice everyday clothes to Divine Liturgy. I don't have an opinion on what doing so means in your case. Please don't assume I do.

I haven't read the other responses, but I believe you should dress the same way everyone else does or find a more casual church.

I was taught that I needed to wear Sunday best when I was a child, I was also told it was a respect thing.

As an adult I've mostly attended casual churches too (though when visiting we do typically wear dresses and khaki's).

When in Rome...

Yes, a woman can get married in cut-offs and tee-shirt. She won't be any less married - - but what does that say about herself and how she feels about that very special day?

I find it interesting that reducing the seriousness of the ceremony of weddings and church are the way people excuse their lack of taking those ceremonies seriously. ..... What it says about us is that we care so little, we find nothing to dress up for anymore. That's more of a commentary on our culture.

Add me to the list of those who were dressed less formally but are still quite seriously married.

Just as it's not my business to wonder why anyone else dresses the way they do at church, I don't believe I should dress differently than I want to when I go. A small hypocrisy in my life is dressing differently in the world (God is there too!) than I do at church because a small part of me feels like I should always be wearing my faith. Dressing up while at church reminds me that there is something different than everyday life going on in that building, though the argument could be made that one is always in the presence of God. Very few women, especially young women, wear chapel veils anymore. I do because I feel uncomfortable without one and I don't let idle wondering in my mind if the girls around me feel judged in any way because they think I might be wondering why they don't prevent me from doing what I feel is right for me. I believe everyone should try their best to dress nicely, but if the choice is between being anxious and maybe not coming because finding "proper" clothing is a barrier or coming in more casual clothes I think we all know what the better choice is.

If you were going to meet the President of the United States at an award ceremony, or a banquet, what would you wear? What if you were invited to a dinner to meet your favorite celebrity, you might not dress up but you would probably make an effort to look your best.

On Sunday, we are going to see Jesus, who deserves more of an effort than a politician or a celebrity. I don't dress up to impress other people, and I don't really care what other people are wearing. But I dress up as an outward sign of respect, reverence, and humility in the presence of God. I don't judge other people for what they wear. There are plenty of jeans and football jerseys every Sunday at our church, it has a pretty casual vibe. I've also been in churches where the men wear suits. What other people wear doesn't matter to me.

I'm not formal. My boys wear Khakis and polo shirts, my girls wear dresses. For holidays like Christmas and Easter my boys get new sweaters and the girls get fancy dresses.

We are going to see Jesus, and that should be different from every other day. It is the same reason I dress up for other special occasions, to acknowledge that they are special. Events like weddings and graduations are not ordinary events, and so I don't dress the way I would on an ordinary day. It is meant to be respectful and considerate to those around me. When people show up for a nice church wedding in shorts and a t-shirt, imho seems like an insult to the Bride and Groom, like their special day isn't special enough for someone to wear special clothes (I know some weddings are meant to be casual, if that is what the couple wants then I don't think dressing casual is an insult).

Someone asked why the heat in this thread. These responses bothered me a great deal and, to me, they seem like judgements. It feels like they're saying we don't take the ceremonies of weddings (including my own) and worship seriously because we don't dress up. That we don't think much of ourselves. That we're prideful.

We've only recently been attending church again and it's a Catholic church so it's completely new and different for us. It's the thoughts expressed below that make me want to run screaming again. This idea that people have that because they view an event a certain way then everyone else should as well, and that there is something wrong or missing with them if they don't. I'm probably bowing out now because it's obviously something that's bothering me too much.

As I like to say to some of my friends who thinks that anything should go for dress at church: Yes, a woman can get married in cut-offs and tee-shirt. She won't be any less married - - but what does that say about herself and how she feels about that very special day?

I find it interesting that reducing the seriousness of the ceremony of weddings and church are the way people excuse their lack of taking those ceremonies seriously. It could be that for a Catholic and Eastern Orthodox, with our belief that Christ is physically present in the Eucharist, that when we receive the Eucharist we are at the Table of God, it is a much more serious thing than just a gathering of friends in a house to sing together. I don't think relativism is the answer to this. I think that we, as a society, have lost the ability to celebrate an occasion with pomp and circumstance it deserves because 'we're all just being real', and in that, we bring down the occasion, we reduce it. In our pride, we say, This Occasion doesn't deserve dress, after all dress doesn't matter--but actually, it matters greatly. What it says about us is that we care so little, we find nothing to dress up for anymore. That's more of a commentary on our culture.

We want to make church accommodating. Church is an act of community. It's not an individual act. Marriage is an act of community. You are declaring your intentions and bond to the community--it's not about you as an individual. When it's all about you--it's all about pride. Declaring that you insist on 'comfort' above dressing up is about you saying you matter more than the community, than what you are celebrating.

Warning: my opinion....

What is and isn't worn to church (aside from headcoverings) is CULTURAL. (headcoverings is an entirely different ball of wax IMHO)

Ethiopians would not dare approach the cup with their sandals on. Dutch wouldn't dare approach the cup without their shoes (and stockings...not socks) on. Some will wrap themselves in white. Other communities have had farmers in coveralls. Era, Area, Economy, Culture, and (dare I say it?) Tradition all play a role and cause differentiation.