Menu

Prayers please . .for safety of home and family.

Rose in BC

Long story but both my boys are friends with a boy who comes from a troubled home and has been tossed back and forth through parents, grandparents, even homelessness . . .literally. My dh has never cared for the boy and while I too was nervous about the boy but tried to be nice thinking its better to keep him close at hand where I can see everything.

Well after a series of events we had enough and have laid down the law..no hanging with this dude. So tonight said boy called home. I asked him nicely to not call back or come around the house anymore unless he heard otherwise from us. He asked why. I confronted him with the things I knew and he denied everything.

Long story short I put him on speaker phone, for the benefit of my son, where he proceeded to call my son a liar and me a hoar. Well dh heard conversation and lambasted boy telling him never to talk to me like that again and to never come to the house again...very loudly.

Boy said he was calling police because we were threatening him....we said please do. We'd welcome it.

This boy is a known vandal...last summer when my husband confronted him boy was angry and slashed our tires. (Can't prove it but know it.). We are afraid he will try something tonight.

So can we ask for prayers. Prayers for our safety, our son's safety (he threatened to beat up son), our property and for intervention for this out of control youth who currently lives with his grandma who is done. Tired and fed up.

I'd call the police.

He threatened your ds w/physical harm. That's an indictable offence. Plus, it gives the police a head's up, in case something *does* happen to your property. W/him being on speaker phone, you have witnesses to what was said.

:grouphug:

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. Nothing happened. It helps that it was snowing all night. I had a rough sleep. And honestly I don't know how this is going to end. It's the peril of living in a small town. It's not easy to avoid someone even if you want to. Couple that with the fact that my own boys have FASD and don't always fully understand things. And that this boy lives with his grandma who told me yesterday (I called her to tell her what had transpired...she knows her gs is troubled) she will be leaving town this week and hasn't figured out what to do with her gs.

It's disheartening, overwhelming . . . We have enough troubles of our own dealing with our special needs boys.

Did talk to police tonight. i feel a bit better except some other disturbing details have been disclosed to me. my dh wants to stay up again tonight but really he could strike any night. Eventually we just have to risk going to bed at our normal time. The officer asked if we were afraid. I said yes!!

Thanks for the advice and prayers.

:grouphug: :grouphug: Troubled, violent teens are scary. So sorry your family is dealing with this.

Do you live in an area where the police can cruise by and check on things at night? Just if they are not busy, just to see if all is well, from the street?

Cont. prayers.

Did talk to police tonight. i feel a bit better except some other disturbing details have been disclosed to me. my dh wants to stay up again tonight but really he could strike any night. Eventually we just have to risk going to bed at our normal time. The officer asked if we were afraid. I said yes!!

Thanks for the advice and prayers.

Just prayed for you that you will be protected every night.

I had some ideas, though--I think the one above about installing a security camera

is a great idea.

You can even put some cheap ones on your property that work ike this:

You put a very thin thread

(sewing thread) attached to it across say, your driveway, and if someone crosses it

a very loud alarm goes off. Those must be under $10 and don't hurt anyone (you have to

use sewing thread so the thread just breaks and doesn't trip anyone up.)

Also for your windows--we have some alarms that sense shock to the windows--

if someone breaks or tries to open it they go off. They were very inexpensive and

are very tiny--they self-stick to the windows. Of course you should have a good

padlock on the door and should be locking your doors, windows, and cars. Maybe

some "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" signs on your property? but you would have

to check with your homeowners association to see if they are allowed.

Make sure you always carry your charged cellphone and make sure your children have

cellphones with them to call for help in case of anything starting to happen. Of course,

have your children in places you know and don't leave them alone in the park until

the situation calms down.

I know this is all a lot, but at least you feel like you are doing something, which is better

than worrying.

Can you get a restraining order? It doesn't guarantee your safety, but it sends a message to

the troubled person.

At the risk of sounding too extreme can I suggest that maybe you and your children could

consider self-defence classes?

I am always on the side of women and kids knowing how to defend themselves

instead of being afraid. (Some things you can't protect against of course and you

shouldn't go walking in shady neighborhoods, dark alleys, etc.) You may

never need it but there is no harm in it. And it may come in handy even

for other occasions (but God forbid there will be such occasions!)

I always took the women's self defence classes

while I was in college and I think it's good for kids to know how to release from

a hold and run! Of course I don't know the extent of your kids' special needs and

don't know if it would worry them unduly...

I'm so sorry.

One suggestion I haven't seen is outdoor lighting. Most people who do things don't like having lots of light. You can even install motion detectors that will set off super bright outdoor lights aimed aound the property. that can attract attention from neighbors as well and should discourage anyone from doing harm.