Menu

Is there a way to remove the ratings?

I.Dup.

They just serve to make the posters or members feel stupid for something they post, or for who they are in general. What positive purpose do they serve? A 5-star rating is automatically dismissed by someone being petty and giving a 1-star rating. It just seems so middle school. Why are they there again?

Does anyone even use them? Does anyone even care?

Oh people definitely use them. The only reason I notice them is because they're the big, lit up stars when you first open a thread or go to your profile and can see that people have "voted". We've had discussions about it before.

Well, honestly, I think the trick is to stop looking. What difference does it make if someone rates something a one star? I'm not trying to make any Pulitzer prize winning threads. I just want some support or help or someone to talk to when I'm bored. I get all of those from people's actual responses, not how they rate something.

Well, honestly, I think the trick is to stop looking. What difference does it make if someone rates something a one star? I'm not trying to make any Pulitzer prize winning threads. I just want some support or help or someone to talk to when I'm bored. I get all of those from people's actual responses, not how they rate something.

None of us are out to make Pulitzer threads for pete's sake. I just find them stupid and only used as a way to offend people. But clearly I'm the only one who is bothered by them so this thread can be deleted, sorry for posting. :)

I don't think anyone notices unless they are on the receiving end of a one/low star thread or personal rating. I wish these would go. I don't mind the "likes" so much, because there's no "dislike."

I never even thought about ratings. Now, I will probably go back and look at old threads to see them. I will probably become very conscious of ratings on any thread i start. Maybe I should let it stress me out completely.

I didn't even know we could vote on the ratings until now. Based on what some people have said here, the ratings are meaningless.

Don't worry. It is not a competition.

People notice. We have had discussions about it before. But apparently none of them want to comment here. :p

That's fine. It's certainly not a life or death issue. I am in a b*tchy, hormonal mood tonight and I own that. This thread can be deleted if that's okay. I'm not in the mood to have an me vs. the mob discussion right now, so I apologize for starting this and will try to ignore the big, flashing stars at the top of each post I open or start. :glare: :tongue_smilie:

I don't think anyone notices unless they are on the receiving end of a one/low star thread or personal rating. I wish these would go. I don't mind the "likes" so much, because there's no "dislike."

And you cannot be sure if you acctually hacked someone off, or if a bunch of uncoordinated people, (like me *blush*), accidentally hit the single star.

BTW- can we undo a star rating we've given? I tried to figure it out last time I gave a thread one star, but couldn't seem to figure it out.

People notice. We have had discussions about it before. But apparently none of them want to comment here. :p

That's fine. It's certainly not a life or death issue. I am in a b*tchy, hormonal mood tonight and I own that. This thread can be deleted if that's okay. I'm not in the mood to have an me vs. the mob discussion right now, so I apologize for starting this and will try to ignore the big, flashing stars at the top of each post I open or start. :glare: :tongue_smilie:

It's you and me vs the mob, baby. :coolgleamA:

But all you've noticed, if there is a rating, is the opinion of one person (usually) out of hundreds, if it was even a purposeful rating. Most people read and respond or read and don't respond. They don't rate the thread. I know that I tick certain people off and while I don't go out of my way to do so, I don't find it that big a deal. Most people I tick off actually come out in my threads and tell me so.

But all you've noticed, if there is a rating, is the opinion of one person (usually) out of hundreds, if it was even a purposeful rating. Most people read and respond or read and don't respond. They don't rate the thread. I know that I tick certain people off and while I don't go out of my way to do so, I don't find it that big a deal. Most people I tick off actually come out in my threads and tell me so.

You're ticking me off.

:ph34r:

The dots correspond to your bee level in some way.

Thanks, Jean! I've noticed those and wondered... They didn't seem to correlate to anything so I just thought there was some secret star society.

They actually don't show up on mobile, either... The only thing I can see is a check mark and I can't figure out if that's the mobile "like" or it selects for multi-quote, or if it does something sinister like flag people. So, for all the people whose posts I haven't liked, sorry. I'm paranoid about marking you as a troll. :D

I don't think I have rated any threads (although I have noticed the stars) but I know that I have fat fingers and have "liked" many a post when all I was trying to do was scroll down.

I suspect that some (and I know not all) of the ratings are due to similar reasons and the more rampant use of touch-devices. There's been a couple times now when I've inadvertently sent an email simply by trying to keep my iPad from falling off my lap.

I'm probably too clumsy for message boards. LOL

I'm another that doesn't notice if they are pointed out. Just ignore them. Some people have more time on their hands than they know what to do with . Or they are just so superior that the rest of us plebs ought to be happy they acknowledge our threads at all.

in my experience, there are lots of people who lurk a *lot* more than the post. They are usually the type who "vote" by liking posts or giving a rating to a thread; it's the often the only way they are making their voice "heard." I don't think it's a big deal, either way.

I don't think I have rated any threads (although I have noticed the stars) but I know that I have fat fingers and have "liked" many a post when all I was trying to do was scroll down.

I suspect that some (and I know not all) of the ratings are due to similar reasons and the more rampant use of touch-devices. There's been a couple times now when I've inadvertently sent an email simply by trying to keep my iPad from falling off my lap.

I'm probably too clumsy for message boards. LOL

This is actually a good point too. I've done *many* things on the board by accident while trying to browse on my phone, lol. If anyone ever notices me looking at your profile, it was probably an accident.

I have never rated a thread. I have never even bothered to look at the stars, except when someone mentions them... Like in this thread. :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I'm interested enough in a thread to open it, I don't really need to know how many stars it has received from others.

So the rating thing is a complete non-issue for me... although I'm enjoying this thread quite a bit, because I.Dup. started it and I am always happy to see her Grumpy Cat avatar... but I.Dup, I'm still trying to get used to your new username and avatar! I know you're still you, but I was so used to the "old you" that it's taking me a while to not call you by your old name. :)

in my experience, there are lots of people who lurk a *lot* more than the post. They are usually the type who "vote" by liking posts or giving a rating to a thread; it's the often the only way they are making their voice "heard." I don't think it's a big deal, either way.

I agree that there are those who do as you've pointed out. But I also know there are a small number of spiteful whichy people here abouts.

They are everywhere. I bite my thumb at them.

At least you manage to keep your trousers up. I'm not so restrained when saluting such folk. (Where's a mooning smilie when you need one?)

I'm never even sure what's being rated. Is it the worthiness of the topic for discussion? The quality of the posts? The humor? The number of kilts posted? It's like the ambiguity of the like button. If someone posts a thread about a tragedy and then a good discussion results, should the thread get many stars or does that imply the tragedy is somehow good.

Okay, I just overthought it. Because I rarely even notice them and have never rated a thread myself.

I'm never even sure what's being rated. Is it the worthiness of the topic for discussion? The quality of the posts? The humor? The number of kilts posted? It's like the ambiguity of the like button. If someone posts a thread about a tragedy and then a good discussion results, should the thread get many stars or does that imply the tragedy is somehow good.

Okay, I just overthought it. Because I rarely even notice them and have never rated a thread myself.

I have a cousin who likes ALL of my status updates on Facebook. I could say, "UGH! Worst day ever! I had a flat tire and my car battery died and I ran over my cat" and under it would say "your idiot cousin likes this." Is he trying to commiserate? Does he genuinely like it? What does that MEAN?

I have a cousin who likes ALL of my status updates on Facebook. I could say, "UGH! Worst day ever! I had a flat tire and my car battery died and I ran over my cat" and under it would say "your idiot cousin likes this." Is he trying to commiserate? Does he genuinely like it? What does that MEAN?

By hitting like on your post, I am saying, "Yeah, I don't know either, but I have those people on my FB too."

I take "like" of a negative experience to be a mere acknowledgment that fb friend has read it and commiserates.