Menu

*Stomps Feet* (first world nerd problems)

Mrs Mungo

107 members have voted

1. 1. WWYD regarding this nerd conundrum?

• Buy tickets for the IMAX version and make DH go.
    • Sweetly talk DH into going to the IMAX version.
    • Skip the IMAX version and hope someone records the preview and puts it on youtube soon enough.
    • Other.
    • Wow, I had no idea you had sunk to this level of nerdom.
    • Gary Mitchell.
    • I have no idea what any of this means, especially the Gary Mitchell bit.

DH does *not* like to go to IMAX movies. He says they give him a headache. Making him go to the lovely, relaxing coral reef one more than once while in Hawaii was pushing it. He is *not* going to want to see The Hobbit (which, he is excited to see) at the IMAX. BUT, that's the only way to see the new nine minute Start Trek movie preview. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

WWYD?

Go on your own.

I get sick in IMAX (I think it is related to my severe motion sickness), so I would not want my family to force or talk me into going.

But that does not mean they can't go.

My younger sister has to take Dramamine before some movies. :lol: After seeing Hunger Games I warned her about the camera motion so she would be prepared.

I'm not sure what the IMAX theatre by you is like but ours here is not what they used to be. It does have awesome 3D and sound, but it's not the super huge screen with the extreme stadium almost vertical seating like the nature ones we used to see. I've found this type doesn't make me as ill as the older type ones used to.

I would find it miserable to be in an IMAX version of The Hobbit. I wouldn't want my dh to make me go. Feeling sick through a movie isn't fun. Either go without him or skip the IMAX. As it is, I think I'm going to be forced to see The Hobbit over Christmas break in a normal theater with my 6 guys. I'm not a huge fan of going to movies.

I had to vote for the 5th option (sinking to a new low of nerdom) because it was there and it was a fun choice. :D

The one I should have voted for is Other. Is going more than once an option? Can you go with him to the non-IMAX showing, then go again with a friend to see the IMAX one? If not, I wouldn't make him go. If IMAX really gives him a headache he won't be able to enjoy the movie.

I voted make him go, but then I remembered one of my kids threw up (at age 19) at an IMAX movie.

When we were leaving the museum, I sent my family to the car ahead of me. I then found a custodian, and told him my toddler threw up in the theater. ;) (I don't have a toddler, see?) My child was mortified, so in my insane way I was trying to protect her (and the cleaner-- maybe toddler puke is not as bad to think about).

So I vote don't make him go. Or something. Nerd.

This is EXACTLY my 17yo dd's plan -- see The Hobbit in IMAX for the sole purpose of seeing the Star trek preview. Do you want to go with her?

Edited to add: As a bonus, you could spend quite a bit of time discussing Gary Mitchell. I refuse to believe it's Khan, so I no longer have this conversation.

I'm with your husband... IMAX movies make me sick. We saw "The Polar Express" in one a few years back... good grief, the migraine I had. :001_unsure: I'm not a huge fan of any movies in theaters though... I'd rather wait and watch it at home, spend much less and be able to pause it to use the bathroom or get a new snack. :blush:

As others said, if you want to go twice, go with someone else to IMAX and with your DH to a regular theater. Or, skip IMAX and watch the preview on YouTube, it'll surely be there before long.

I sympathize with those of you who get severe motion sickness from it. But, his is just a mild headache. And please remember, he *jumps out of planes* for a living, lol. That's why I think the headache thing is a poor excuse.

The IMAX is a 90 minute drive, so for something like that we'd usually make a day of it, kwim? I don't usually go do that sort of thing alone. I guess it's an option?

This is EXACTLY my 17yo dd's plan -- see The Hobbit in IMAX for the sole purpose of seeing the Star trek preview. Do you want to go with her?

Edited to add: As a bonus, you could spend quite a bit of time discussing Gary Mitchell. I refuse to believe it's Khan, so I no longer have this conversation.

Ooh, and we can get our 17 y/o dds together. Mine keeps trying to talk to me about Khan too. But, then she re-watched Where No Man Has Gone Before and now I think she's on the Gary Mitchell train.

I sympathize with those of you who get severe motion sickness from it. But, his is just a mild headache. And please remember, he *jumps out of planes* for a living, lol. That's why I think the headache thing is a poor excuse.

But the jumping out of planes is his job. Why should anybody want to subject himself to even a mild headache just for entertainment?

Make it your day out -- go alone & enjoy. If you don't want to go alone, is there a friend who would want to go w/ you?

If the motion sickness/headache is not an issue (it would be for me, but it sounds like that's not necessarily the case for your dh), why would you want to drag a grump along anyway? ;) I'd leave him a long 'honey-do' list for the day & head out alone or w/ a friend. :thumbup1:

My solution? Go twice - once to the IMAX version without hubby and once with hubby to the ordinary one. Around here, all the IMAX versions are 3D and I am not a fan. Our lit club is going this Friday and one girl can't do 3D due to some depth perception issues. We have had difficulty finding screens at times we can go that aren't 3D.

Gary Mitchell. (Though in the Japanese trailer, there was a bit of Wrath of Khan there at the end. I might have cried a bit. I'm hoping Abrams is just a giant troll, though.)

I am thisclose to calling the theatre and asking if I can watch the preview in the IMAX (while paying for that), but going to the regular after, but I'm sure it will be too crowded. I'm the one who doesn't do IMAX very well (headache and motion sickness) and dang, it's a long movie. I didn't think about youtube after, though. Hm.

Much as I love the reply about reminding him of birth stories and breastfeeding and making him go along, I personally have trouble with 3D movies (love regular IMAX, tho). So I understand that it would not be fun for him.

Do you have another friend that shares your enthusiasm for both ST and The Hobbit? Then you could also go and see The Hobbit again later with dh (SURELY it will be worthy of a second view). It's much more fun to see/discuss with others that are as excited as you are. I would seriously consider even going alone, at least the theater will be filled with fans like you.

Anyway, I am glad you started this thread because I had no idea there would be a ST2 trailer. Now instead of just the midnight showing, I'll be looking for the midnight showing at the IMAX theater!!! I guess I better buy some tickets online today (and fwiw, I'll have to go alone or take my oldest kid, my dh wouldn't sacrifice a night of good sleep for a premier of anything...).

ETA - Uh oh, I guess the challenge will be to find an IMAX that's NOT 3D - will that even be possible?