Menu

I grabbed a chicken from the freezer (processed, bought at the store) and started taking the plastic off. Got to the raw chicken (which grosses me out enough anyway) and there was still a foot attached!:eek::ack2:

It took me years to be able to cook a turkey or chicken and be able to reach in the cavity and pull out the bag of guts. Now this!

You have my deepest sympathy. I'm vegetarian, but cook all kinds of meat for my family. It took me a long time not to feel totally traumatised by raw meat. I'm much less squeamish these days, but I think a chicken foot just might set me back a bit for a while.

:grouphug:

For the squeamish, I would also recommend not buying at an ethnic market like Ranch 99. :tongue_smilie:

I bought a frozen duck from Ranch, and when I opened the package, it had the neck and head still attached. It led to a surreal conversation with my ds, then 3 years old.

DS: What's that?

Me: (Oops, he saw it even though I was hiding it in the sink) It's a duck. I'm preparing it for dinner.

DS: Oh.. but the duck doesn't like to be eaten, right?

Me: Erm, no it doesn't.

If he grew up where I did, the sight would be mild compared to what I saw in wet markets. But even though I grew up with those sights, I still didn't like to prepare meat when I first started cooking as a young adult.

The store I buy chicken from always has them with a bunch of feathers still attached. Sometimes there's a tyson tag on a leg, but usually not. They're just packaged up in clear produce bags with a knot at the top. I have no idea where they come from or why they still have feathers!

Until recently they didn't even have them in the fridge, just on a pile of ice :ack2:

If I found a foot still attached, I'd be yelling at the kids for not doing a very good job of butchering! :lol:

This is what I was thinking! Although I have a dog that likes to play with them. Literally throws the feet in the air and runs around the yard with it. The worst is later that day, or the next, when I have to pick up his chew toys!!! :D:tongue_smilie:

At local supermarkets that are orientated towards the Latino population chicken feet are a common food item. I can confirm that chicken feet make the best stock, so consider yourself lucky :D

Bill

:iagree: I read the OP and just went :confused: ... doesn't the bag of guts usually include the feet?

I'd know where to get them. I just usually have plenty of leftover chicken parts and bones to make stock so I never thought about buying feet.

Can one eat the feet too?

I don't really think there's anything to eat on them especially once they are boiled so long. Toe jam? :lol: Ewww, but it kinda looks like jam it's so thick and it IS from toes

If I found a foot still attached, I'd be yelling at the kids for not doing a very good job of butchering! :lol:

:D You are my kind of gal. Honestly, though I could never butcher my girls. They were kept strictly for eggs and some of them lived to 7-8 years long after they laid their last egg.

I can remember hearing stories of my grandmother wringing chickens necks. I don't have a problem with raw meat, but I would have a hard time wringing a chicken neck. I have told dh who enjoys hunting but hasn't done it in a long time that it is his job to make sure that dd isn't squeamish like I am.

:iagree: I read the OP and just went :confused: ... doesn't the bag of guts usually include the feet?

I don't know, my bag of guts is usually opaque white and I never open it, just toss it out.

Yeah, that's why I opted not to get chickens. They would become my pets.

This is why we could never have farm animals unless they were strictly to be pets. My youngest plans to be a Pig "farmer" I put the farmer in quotes because really he loves pigs so much it would be more of an old folks home for swine. :lol:

I'll bet anything it was a piece of intestine that somehow got left behind.

Nope. I wish since worms are a particularly phobia of mine. But, it was fully segmented, with the smooth section in the middle (can't remember what that's called), and we had just finished dissecting in class. Definitely a worm. Blech. :ack2:

According to Nourishing Traditions chicken feet are a nutritious addition to stock. However, I have not yet summoned the nerve to experiment.

:iagree:

When we butchered our chickens, my MIL and FIL always offered to come out and help if they could take all the feet home. They swore the feet made the best stock. I was happy to oblige them. After a morning of butchering, I didn't want anything to do with the left-over bits! :tongue_smilie:

I usually get whole chickens at Costco. I pulled out one the other day and it was missing a wing. Like the poor thing was always missing a wing. Very strange. I just kept imagining this chicken running around the farm with only one wing :)

Here's a pic (yes, I took a picture of it, lol!!)

I've never seen feet in the bag, or heads. Just internal organs.

My mom once bought a whole chicken by the pound, and then she found a bag full of two sets of organs. She was not amused to have paid for a "padded" chicken. The meat dept manager was very apologetic.

At local supermarkets that are orientated towards the Latino population chicken feet are a common food item. I can confirm that chicken feet make the best stock, so consider yourself lucky :D

Bill

Just what I was thinking! That kind of thing doesn't really gross me out anymore but then I have the whole chickens running around (and yes chicken people, my fat Cornish X's DO run) for about 10 weeks before they end up in my freezer.

I sort of know they come with other stuff attached. :D

God forbid you are ever in a situation where slaughtering a chicken is your only means of survival. I mean, I get that packs of chicken aren't supposed to have that but it isn't exactly unnatural. I don't understand the horrified responses.

a chicken is a bird. birds have feet. one got missed. got a cleaver?

:001_rolleyes:

OMG, I would have died! A whole foot? Ack!

I hate touching chicken and I don't even buy whole chickens. I got 2 chicken breasts out tonight to bake and touching them totally freaked me out. All I could think was SALMONELLA! Ack.

:iagree: Dh would have had to cook that chicken tonight. Ewwwwwww...

You know, reading this thread, all I can think of is how I wish my hens weren't so old (almost 2 years) so I could go out there and just put them out of their (and my) misery. The little buttheads won't lay, and they're hateful.

I guess a few chicken feet on my counter wouldn't bother me. :tongue_smilie: