Menu

Please help me because I'm tired! Which one is it?  

1. 1. Please help me because I'm tired! Which one is it?

• I don't know WHO I will wake up with.
    • I don't know WHOM I will wake up with.

Should it be:

"I don't know who I will wake up with."

or

"I don't know whom I will wake up with."

????

Does "Waking up with" need a noun or a direct object?

:confused::confused::confused:

Normally I'm not so spacy but both kids are down with croup and I have a newspaper column due tomorrow----about sleep deprivation!!!

Edited by jenbrdsly

Should it be:

"I don't know who I will wake up with."

or

"I don't know whom I will wake up with."

"whom"

You would not say "with I", but "with me" - so it should be not "with who" but "with whom".

But I would also change the sentence so that it is less awkward and does not end with "with":

"I don't know with whom I will wake up."

I would say "whom".

You would not say "with I", but "with me" - so it should be not "with who" but "with whom".

But I would change the sentence so that it does not end with "with":

:iagree:

with whom I will wake up sounds better.

"whom"

But I would also change the sentence so that it does not end with "with":

:iagree:

Though the sentence does make me wonder about the circumstances that would lead to such a situation!:D

"whom"

But I would also change the sentence so that it is less awkward and does not end with "with":

"Every night when I go to bed I have no idea whom I will wake up with in the morning"

That will be the actual sentence. Of course I mean that I will be waking up with one of my kids, not a random stranger! ;)

Agreeing that substituting other pronouns is a good way to tell ... I use third person, so he/sh goes with who and him/her goes with whom.

This sentence requires a little shuffling, but 'I don't know if I will wake up with him.' makes more sense than 'I don't know if I will wake up with he.' So use whom because it goes with him.

A direct object is still a noun. :)

"Who" is the subjective form. IOW, you use it when it's the subject of the sentence.

"Whom" is the objective form. It is either the direct object or the object of the preposition.

It would be more correct to say "with whom I will wake up," but I can live with the way you wrote it. :)

"Who" is the subjective form. IOW, you use it when it's the subject of the sentence.

"Whom" is the objective form. It is either the direct object or the object of the preposition.

It would be more correct to say "with whom I will wake up," but I can live with the way you wrote it. :)

You beat me to it. :D

Everything cleared up for me once I realized "who" was a subject and "whom" was an object.

"Whom" is the objective form. It is either the direct object or the object of the preposition. …

I never knew what subjective & objective meant. Thanks to Ellie I do now!

Should it be:

"I don't know who I will wake up with." This is normal spoken English. It will probably become proper grammar eventually because this is how we talk.

or

"I don't know whom I will wake up with." This is almost the the correct grammar, but really it would be: "I don't know with whom I will wake up."

????

:confused::confused::confused:

Normally I'm not so spacy but both kids are down with croup and I have a newspaper column due tomorrow----about sleep deprivation!!!

My answer is that it depends on context. "With whom" is the proper grammar, but would sound very stilted in a normal conversation if spoken "properly. "

Well, Other. :)

The 'who' form is so standard in colloquial English that 'whom' sounds awkward. We tend to say "I don't know who," with an elided "it is," the relative pronoun then being nominative. And I suspect that we just extend that elision to sentences like "I don't know who I will wake up with," understanding it as something like "I don't know who (it is that) I will wake up with."

Generally, I wake up with either Wee Girl or the cat. That's whom.

:)

I'd like to point out for the record that I had two years of Latin and was taught to diagram sentences when I was younger.

Apparently that has all gone out the window!

Thank you to everyone who has saved me from my mistake. This would have been even worse than the time I misspelled Mt. Rainier. :)

:iagree: You are my new hero! It can't go away fast enough to suit me. Even when used correctly, it sounds pretentious.

Pretentious? I guess I've just thought they're different forms of the same word, used in different contexts.