Menu

Big Summer Canning Disappointment!!!!

I just check all my pints(50) of strawberry jam and all are spoiled. This was my first canning experience. I really went to town canning all summer with my kids preserving for the winter. Today i looked and all have this white mold on the top and a dull color about an inch size on top. I do not understand what went wrong.

The recipies i looked for did not require lemon juice and i did not put the 6 cup of sugar it required because the 2 cups was sweet enough for us. Was this the problem? I used the pectin required and in all my jars there was a separation from the liquid and the fruit. I could never figure out why the separation did that. They did not last 6 months. This is $500+ down the garbage beside out time and stress doing this.

Now the peaches i canned have this cloudy thing in the bottom. Would that be slime?

I am so depressed i am going to hide under the covers now.

Sorry this happened! :grouphug:

A variety of things could have gone wrong. Not using enough sugar canhave an effect -- use a low- or no-sugar pectin in the future. Improperly sealed jars are the biggest culprit: make sure the lids seal, you process at the right amount of time for your altitude, and that the rims are clean before placing the lid on them. The lemon juice sometimes aids in preserving by raising the acidity level to the right amount so food doesn't spoil, but generally it's used to prevent discoloration.

it's important to follow canning recipes exactly as they are written, and to only use recipes from legitimate sources (most canning books and county extension services). These recipes are fully tested to make sure the acidity is right so food doesn't spoil. Sterilize everything! Jars, tools and funnels, and boil the lids for a few minutes before placing them so the rubber softens and seals properly in the canner. If the lids were properly sealed, then the mold got in before you put the jars in the canner.

Fruit does tend to float to the top, even in jam. I always stir it before using it. As for the peaches, all of mine always get a bit cloudy at the bottom of the jar.

...Not using enough sugar can have an effect -- use a low- or no-sugar pectin in the future. ...

...it's important to follow canning recipes exactly as they are written

Yes, I'm sure this contributed to the problem. The recipes I've used always stress that you MUST use the amount of sugar as written. You reduced it by two-thirds, yikes!

It might be the low amount of sugar. I have made lower sugar jam with grape juice which works well but it is still above the magic amount needed for proper preservation.

I am not sure about the processing. I don't use a pressure canner but simply use the method of sterilising jars in a hot oven and boiling lids. Put the jam in when it is hot and screw on the lid straight away. It cools and causes a vacuum. Jam done like that lasts years.

You must follow the recipe exactly in order for the jam to turn out properly. The sugar is key. If you want to do low sugar jam, there is a special pectin for that.

Sorry it didn't work out, but don't give up on canning. Just don't alter the recipe even a teensy bit, and it'll work out next time.

Use commercial pectin, and follow the recipe in the box. Those are formulated to work perfectly. After you get some experience, you can branch off a bit.

If your peaches look funky...don't eat them. I have jars of peaches and pears on my shelves that were canned in 2005, and the liquid they're in is crystal clear. They should NOT look white or slimy.

Edited by DianeW88

:grouphug: I'm sorry

My strawberry jam separates, it also gets a little white at the top (where it foamed and bubbled, but didn't settle back in). The recipes for canning in the books/or on pectin boxes, are written specifically for food safety concerns. They should be followed carefully. Only use the low sugar or no sugar kind if you want less sugar next time. And you can't sterilize enough, lol. Try again, but don't stray from a recipe until you are a well seasoned canner. I've been canning for some time and there are only a few recipes that I've tweaked, but I don't mess around with sugar/lemon juice/vinegar/salt amounts. They work to preserve

You have to follow the directions exactly. As others have said, if you want less sugar, you need to use a low sugar pectin and recipe. The sugar adds to the acidity and thus the safety of your food. Your peaches may be fine. Sometimes I find that I get some sediment in the bottom of jars.

Agreeing with the others. Canning is NOT like baking or cooking where you can add/delete/change at whim. Canning is a SCIENCE. There needs to be exact amounts of things to create a safe product. In jams sugar is one of the key preserving components. In tomatoes it's lemon juice, in pickles it's vinegar etc and sometimes its a precise ratio of things that creates the safe products. Until you are more experienced at canning I would recommend only using recipes/methods from either the Ball Canning book or from this site

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

Information from those two sources have been fully tested for safety. Other places will offer canning recipes - they may or may not have been tested, they may or may not be safe. Until you have several years experience under your belt I wouldn't even attempt trying other sites - there is just no guarantee you are getting current, correct information.

Sorry you are learning the hard way but you can't just experiment with canning and hope everything works out.

I guess i should have asked about the sugar amount before starting this mess.

Does the type of sugar matter too? We used sucanat and other times cane evaporated juice.

I have not told my husband and really not looking forward. :001_unsure:

Does the type of sugar matter too? We used sucanat and other times cane evaporated juice.

I think most recipes are calculated for granulated white sugar.

Yes it does. If you want to use a different sugar, you need to find a recipe that calls for that particular form of sugar. Ratios and acid content are very important and different forms of sugar are not the same. Most recipes I see call for granulated sugar.

I think sugar is likely your culprit. If you want low sugar jam you either need to follow established, proven recipes, or else you'll need to freeze it. My aunt always froze all of her jam but I prefer to can mine.

Also, did you water bath the jars of jam for the specified amount of time or did you turn the jars upside down? Are you sure the jars sealed?

When canning jam we us a product called dutch gel light. This way we can still use less sugar. For example it the recipe calls for 1c. We use 1/4c plus dutch gel light.

When canning did you sterilize the jars and lids? Where the lids hot when you put them on? Did you water bath the jam afterwards?

Sorry this happened please do not let it discourage you from trying again. I had plenty of flops when I first started canning.

Look at it this way. You are only out the fruit and the lids. You can reuse all those jars and rings and you have your canning pot and tools ready to go. You'll never make that mistake again. It's a live and learn thing. You may want to read up before your next undertaking. Don't walk away from canning just because of this. In a few years, you'll be a pro!

I believe Pomona Pectin provides instructions for using alternative sweeteners.

I'm really sorry this happened. Chalk it up to a learning experience and spend the winter reading about canning. The NCHFP site posted is THE best place to begin. They even offer a self-study course through the University of Georgia so that you can feel more confident about your own canning endeavors in the future.

Other books you might want to consider would be The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and The Joy of Jams, Jellies, and Other Sweet Preserves by Linda Ziedrich.

the sugar helps preserve the jam and set the jam. If you don't like it so sweet you need the low sugar pectin.

Canning is very specific and you have to follow the instructions correctly or it can be dangerous. I am sorry all your work and money was wasted.

I agree with everyone - think of it this way - it is an edible CHEMISTRY project, so you have to measure and follow instructions exactly.

The type of sugar matters because it's the amount of sucrose molecules in the sugar itself that helps preservation. If the recipe says white granulated sugar, don't substitute.

Canning isn't an area to decide you know better than the recipe. You have to respect the chemistry. The sugar isn't there for taste, it is there as the preservative. There is a reason canning recipes have stayed the same for so long. It isn't just that people like lots of sugar, that is that how canning works.

Next time, follow the instructions/ratio to the letter. And I wouldn't touch those peaches. You don't know if they are safe. Canning done wrong can make you sick.

You must follow the recipe exactly in order for the jam to turn out properly. The sugar is key. If you want to do low sugar jam, there is a special pectin for that.

Sorry it didn't work out, but don't give up on canning. Just don't alter the recipe even a teensy bit, and it'll work out next time.

Use commercial pectin, and follow the recipe in the box. Those are formulated to work perfectly. After you get some experience, you can branch off a bit.

If your peaches look funky...don't eat them. I have jars of peaches and pears on my shelves that were canned in 2005, and the liquid they're in is crystal clear. They should NOT look white or slimy.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

You could ask about the peaches on the Gardenweb forums. There are a few Master Preservers who check in there and are always happy to answer questions and offer advice.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/

They might be okay- peaches can be canned in just water, a simple syrup, or fruit juice, so adding evaporated cane juice as a sweetener *might* be okay. But I would inquire of the master canners and see if anyone knows for sure one way or the other.

The recipes are formulated for white, granulated sugar. That is what you must use. You need to toss everything. Home canning is not the place to play guessing games about product safety. Or to be trite, "When in doubt, throw it out."

You might see if your county extension offers classes on home canning next year. That's a great place to learn the basics.

Edited by DianeW88

You might see if you county extension offers classes on home canning next year. That's a great place to learn the basics.
:iagree:

My aunt taught canning classes as a county extension agent for years. It really is the best place to learn.

I would be leery of taking canning classes from most any other source. I took a (thankfully!) free class through a health food store a few years ago and their recommendations were wickedly unsafe. :001_huh: I contacted their company after to file a complaint against the instructor. As others have already said, canning is an exact science. You can't change up recipes as you see fit.

I have successfully canned multiple batches of jelly/jam, although I'm not an expert about the hows and whys. It is my understanding the sugar is the key for jams/jellies unless you use a no-sugar pectin.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We make freezer jam in our family to avoid this scenario -- MIL likes to use less sugar too in her batches of freezer jam. But she has a recipe for the low-sugar jam too.

Edited by tex-mex

Follow the recipe EXACTLY and use what they suggest -- most cases it is regular granulated white sugar. Sorry to hear your batch did not turn out. Re-use the jars/rings, toss out the inner lids (buy new ones), sterilize everything... and make plans for next round!!

Edited by tex-mex

I'm so sorry. All that work and so much fruit.

I've never dared can anything because I cannot follow a recipe exactly. Freezing provides a lot more flexibility for me, although it creates a different problem since we don't have a separate freezer anymore.

I am so sorry! Please try again sometime, with a small batch (5-8 jars) and really watch your measurements, your jar sanitation techniques, and your timing of the water bath canning process. It really can be a lot of fun! You can do it! :)

The sort-of good news is that you can still use the jars and rings (properly sterilized) for your next endeavor, so jar-wise you're only out the cost of the lids.

:grouphug: It happened to me with my first batch of peaches. I had to throw them all away. I was crushed.

Cat

My first batch of raspberry preserves turned out to be a raspberry rock . . . That could only be used if you melted down to syrup . . .but nobody ever wanted it because of the seeds. :sigh: There's still some in my pantry be ause I couldn't stand to toss my work. I am crying for you.

You could ask about the peaches on the Gardenweb forums. There are a few Master Preservers who check in there and are always happy to answer questions and offer advice.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/

They might be okay- peaches can be canned in just water, a simple syrup, or fruit juice, so adding evaporated cane juice as a sweetener *might* be okay. But I would inquire of the master canners and see if anyone knows for sure one way or the other.

I have bottled peaches in water with no problems. Sometimes if I cook the bottles at too high a temperature the fruit might cook a little, and I have had a slight cloudiness of the liquid (apples). The fruit was fine though.