Menu

PLEASE help me with this decision re euthanizing my dog

I'm struggling.

I have an older chihuahua. She is 14. She still has some good days where she seems perky and attentive, but most days she doesn't want to get out of her crate, moves slowly and looks like she's in pain (okay, so arthritis issues because she is old - no biggie really).

However, she will not whine to get out of her crate to potty and she will saturate her towels within a day - I mean disgusting urine smell. Even when the crate is open, she will not get out and even go on the floor (not that I'd love this option, but I'd at least feel like she didn't want to be in her own mess). She will do this with poop too on occasion, but the urine is EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

She is also rail thin. I mean ribs all showing, tummy area all hollow and caved in. She eats, but her weight loss just continues.

This has all being going on for several months, and getting progressively worse.

I have an appt for this afternoon to have her put down. Am I making the wrong decision?

Edited by StaceyinLA

Hi Stacey,

First,:grouphug:

We went through this a little over a year ago with our chinchilla. So people shared with me about other animals as well. Knowing what I know now, I probably would put your dog down. I think we waited too long ourselves. People shared with me that putting them down when they are in pain and/or miserable beyond repair is one of the kindest (and hardest) things you can do.

If the vet can't find anything easily treatable, then again, yes. And our experience was that three vets strung us along too long, and we lost a lot money in the process. Not putting vets down, they help if the owner wants to hang on to the pet longer. I did find as soon as I said I wanted our pet out of pain and put down, my wishes were quickly given, and we also got to pick the experience. We chose to have the shot to put them out of pain first (I forget what is called) so we could spend a few last minutes with our pet with it out of pain. Then the vet took it to the back to finish, then we took it home to bury.

I'm sorry. :grouphug: It is a hard place to be in.

The only reason I kept my most recent old dog so long was that she kept getting up every morning, wanting to go outside and walk around and around and around, and she was still excited about eating, which she did multiple times per day. I think that once a dog does not want to get up and go around acting like a dog anymore, and has lost his or her enthusiasm for anything, or even attend to their own bodily functions, it is kinder to let them go peacefully. :grouphug:

:grouphug: You are doing your best to make her comfortable. Your decision, either way, is fine. :grouphug:

:iagree:

As thin as she is getting, I'd be very surprised if there was not some sort of disease process going on. So it comes down to how much you are willing to spend, and how much you are willing to put her and your family through to keep her around and comfortable.

We are dog lovers. However, we are also very practical. Our 11-yr old dachshund was diagnosed with some sort of liver problem last spring, and we put her down after a few weeks of treatment (and probably $500 of vet bills). I felt so guilty for not being willing to "try everything". I loved her, but we just could not take care of an ill dog (financially or practically), and we didn't want her to be uncomfortable.

Please know you are not a bad person if you decide to put your dog down. You gave her a good life. She was loved and taken care of. Hug her, hold her, and comfort her at the end. :grouphug:

I just went through this with another elderly dog we had, but on the day I took him, he had experienced a stroke and was completely paralyzed. That was after us struggling already due to his deteriorating health.

I guess my guilt in this is that the major ongoing issue is the urine. It's disgusting to be sure, but am I just being selfish because I don't want to continue dealing with that?

The weight loss is certainly a problem as well. They receive all of their monthly treatments for fleas, heartworms, etc., so I don't feel like it could be something simple like that.

Even if so, there's still the urine issue...

It's so difficult.

I'm struggling.

I have an older chihuahua. She is 14. She still has some good days where she seems perky and attentive, but most days she doesn't want to get out of her crate, moves slowly and looks like she's in pain (okay, so arthritis issues because she is old - no biggie really).

However, she will not whine to get out of her crate to potty and she will saturate her towels within a day - I mean disgusting urine smell. Even when the crate is open, she will not get out and even go on the floor (not that I'd love this option, but I'd at least feel like she didn't want to be in her own mess). She will do this with poop too on occasion, but the urine is EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

She is also rail thin. I mean ribs all showing, tummy area all hollow and caved in. She eats, but her weight loss just continues.

This has all being going on for several months, and getting progressively worse.

I have an appt for this afternoon to have her put down. Am I making the wrong decision?

No. It sounds as if her quality of life is not good and at her age wont get better. I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago and will prob have to again since I have a few that are aging. :grouphug:

I suppose we could do testing, but at her age we aren't likely to spend a lot of money. She's also a VERY nervous dog (unlike my other other chihuahua), and putting her through a lot of vet time would be extremely stressful for her.

I dont know then, that makes it tough. You dont want to drag things out but you dont want to make the wrong choice. If it were ME... id make the choice knowing there wasnt anything else I could do. I mean there has to be a reason shes having these issues, but i dont have an older dog so i dont know if you can chalk it up to old age and now is her time?

I suppose we could do testing, but at her age we aren't likely to spend a lot of money. She's also a VERY nervous dog (unlike my other other chihuahua), and putting her through a lot of vet time would be extremely stressful for her.

Have you done routine bloodwork to rule out something like a thyroid condition (which could explain the weight loss)? I wouldn't do more extensive testing than that, either, on a dog that age, but I would rule out anything obvious and easy to treat first. If you've done that and not come up with any answers, then, yes, it sounds like it might be time to let her go. :grouphug:

I think you are doing the right thing.

My brother absolutely refused to let my parents put his dog down about 10 years ago, but he didn't live with them at that point. When he would visit the dog seemed fine. I finally told him he needed to go stay for a few days to a week to really see what her life was like. He did and found his dog was much like yours is acting. His dog was 17 (a springer spaniel, lab mix) so she was OLD, to this day he always tells me that he wishes he had listend to us sooner and let her go when she wasn't in such a bad state.

I think you are doing the right thing.

Over the years, I have heard many vets/vet techs say that often people wait too long.

Looking back on the last two pets we lost...we held on too long, it would have been much kinder to let them go sooner. :crying:

:grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If she never used to soil her kennel, then, yes, I'd say it's time to say goodbye. Not being able (or wanting) to control her bladder is a huge sign to me. Healthy dogs do not soil, then lie in, their own waste. (We do have one dog who has no problem soiling her kennel, but she's the only one I've ever known to do that.)

I'm so sorry. Tell her to kiss my old dogs at the bridge when she gets there. :( :grouphug:

If it were me, I would ask the vet to run a senior panel blood test to see if there are any obvious and treatable problems. The weight loss and loss of urine control could be just old age, but to me it sounds like there may be another underlying issue.

Pets Alive is a wonderful animal rescue in New York. Their director wrote the following article. I hope it's helpful to you. :grouphug:

How Do You Know It Is Time for Euthanasia?

Many of our friends on Facebook or twitter, or even email, have contacted us, filled with grief and sorrow, and asked our opinions on how to tell if it is time to let their beloved pet "go." In this “business†I have seen it all. Some people put their dogs or cats down at the very first sign of illness because they don’t want to pay vet bills or because they claim that is the most humane thing. Unfortunately I have also seen people wait far too long, past the point of humaneness and into the realm of cruelty. I know it is difficult to let a beloved pet go. I can’t even type this without my throat closing up and tears welling into my eyes at the thought of the ones I have had to let go. This is a very personal decision. No one can make it but you. I am certainly no authority on this, nothing would give me the right to judge this for others, but here is how I decide with my own dogs, if this helps.

1. Have they stopped eating?

If my dogs stop eating that is it. I will not force feed them. I will give them three or four days of me trying everything to get them to eat – chicken and chop meat, but once that doesn’t work, that is it, it is time.

2. If my dogs can no longer get up and walk around on their own.

If they can not stand, walk around and move with nobility and dignity, then it is time, even if they are eating and otherwise mentally alert. That is no life for an animal. (I mean this only in the sense of senior failure…not dogs that are young and healthy and get along GREAT and just FINE with a cart. I am talking about when a dog is so old it would not have the strength to get up any longer).

3. If my dog has lost his or her nobility.

If I look at my dog and say I would want to be let go if I was in this stage, then I make that decision of kindness to let them go so that their pride and dignity is no longer depleted. [in the comments following this article, Kerry clarified that #3 is referring to loss of bladder and bowel control.]

4. If they are so uncomfortable that they can not sleep, that they are constantly unhappy, miserable or crying or whining.

If my dogs are suffering, it is time. It is the only gift I have left to give them – and that is to let them go.

So, no one can decide for you. I’m sorry that you are in this place. But respect your pet and LOVE your pet enough to let them go. I wish you much love and affection and peace with whatever decision you make. ~Kerry Clair

Whatever you decide to do, I wanted to send you some :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

But I did want to mention that 14 isn't that old for a Chihuahua. One of ours lived to be 19.

BUT... if your dog is suffering and the vet doesn't think anything can be done, I think you are doing the right thing by ending her suffering. I would want to have some blood and urine tests done first, just to reassure myself that I'd done everything I could do, though, because if I didn't, I know it would come back to haunt me. Also, if her big problem is arthritis, she could get steroid shots to help with that.

I'm so sorry you may have to make such a painful decision. We have been in your position many times, and it never gets any easier. :(

If it were me, I would ask the vet to run a senior panel blood test to see if there are any obvious and treatable problems. The weight loss and loss of urine control could be just old age, but to me it sounds like there may be another underlying issue.

Thank you for posting this.

OP, I am sorry you are having to deal with this. We are in the middle of trying to make the same decision for our 13 year old labrador. Like your pup, our girl is currently on medication for incontinence, and once we can get her bladder under control, she will go on pain management for her spinal arthritis. Apparently they can't do both things at the same time. :(

Our girl has lost some hearing, has cataracts forming, and 'senior moments' where she appears confused. She's forgotten her manners (has started getting into the trash again), and she now has "old dog smell" no matter how many times she gets bathed. BUT....

Her appetite is still there. She still gets excited by her leash (which means it's time to go outside). She still loves "her boy" and places her head on his lap while she sleeps.

Our vet has done the senior blood work, and her counts are showing old age. Her liver function is on the high end of normal. She lost 6lbs. in one month. :(

As much as I grumble and complain while I'm cleaning up the turned-over trash cans, or mopping up yet another urine spot from where she was sleeping, I just can't think about putting her down yet. I know the time is coming...but *I* can't do it yet. My heart goes out to OP, as I know this is such a hard decision to make. :grouphug:

I just don't know if we can pull her through this.

I'm taking her in at 8 in the morning to see/talk with the vet.

Thank you all.

Stacey, I have a cat in the ICU tonight. I will have to decide around Thursday if he is going to make it. If Tiberius/Clyde will have no quality of life, if he is going to pee and worse all over himself, and/or if he is in pain, I am going to let him go. I have made the mistake of waiting too long with a dog and made that dug suffer. I will never, never do that again.

If you do put your dog down tomorrow, thank you. If you decide she can fight her way through whatever is plaguing her now and you can help her do that, thank you for that too.

We had to put our dog down last year around this time. It was so hard but my vet actually told us they had thought for quite a while that she was ready when they had her there for kenneling. Why they never said anything to me I still don't understand. My dog went so quickly and peacefully that I felt guilty later for not doing it sooner. She had not been happy for a long time and could hardly walk anymore.

With your dog, the weight loss is what it a big sign that she is very ill. Plus not getting up to urinate is another big sign that it is time. I'm very sorry for you and your family. I know it is such a hard decision.

:grouphug:

I just went through this over the summer with yo 14 yo rat terrier. yes it is a pain, but I took her out Every Single Hour. She had heart failure and was on........... Drawing a blank... The pills which remove excess fluid but make you pee a TON. When we were gone for hours or a full day, I put her in a huge pen in the house (think baby gates) and placed her bed and water inside it. I knew we would likely come home to pee and had clorox wipes on hand along with dirty towels to get it all up.

Like you, i struggled quite a bit. I was getting tired of all the accidents (thankfully there is no carpet downstairs and I put a huge plastic bag beneath her bed in MY bed) and struggled with guilt. She was my shadow for 14.5 years so I decided that I needed to do all I could for her, even thtough she spent most of her day sleeping. In her final days she would lie awake and just stare at me for hours. The day I put her down she woke up with severe bruising all over her belly. The vet told me it was time, they didn't know what else was going on inside her and her heart was in the very final stages of failure.

This is a very difficult time, I know. Just take your little one out every 1.5 hours or so and spend some time doing her favorite things. Car rides? Lap time? Sleeping on the grass with the sun beating down on her? I would not put a dog down due to accidents.

It doesn't sound right that she is eating yet losing so much weight. How long ago did your vet tell you there was nothing wrong with her? Is she eating as much as she always has? Do her teeth hurt so she's eating less?

Also, ask your vet about pain meds. They DEFINITELY improved quality of life for my dog. Maybe it will give your dog what it needs to have the strength to get up and pee. It turns out my dog stopped getting up to pee because she was too weak due to the heart failure. An increase in meds fixed it.

Defnitely get the vets input. It is so hard to know. I don't think I have ever waited too long myself but my rat terrier really had me questioning a few times. It is SO HARD!!!:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It's time. It is. She is in pain, wasting away, and spends her days laying in her own urine. That isn't any quality of life. If you don't euthanize her, what would be the benefit of her continuing like this? At this point she is going to go soon, and I don't see that giving her a few more weeks of laying in her own urine, in pain, is going to be a blessing to her. On the contrary, sparing her that would be the kind thing to do. A dog that isn't suffering in some way would not lay around in the crate all day, in her own waste. That is the sign of a suffering animal. She has nothing left...please let her go. Look at it this way...if you euthanize her, but it is the wrong thing, the worst that happens is you cheated her out of a few weeks, but really bad weeks. If you don't euthanize her, and it is the wrong decision, the worst that happens is she suffers greatly. Better to go to doggie heaven a few days early than to suffer needlessly.

Edited by ktgrok