Menu

Consoling a young adult about a *choice* she has no say over

I just wanted to update those who replied to the post initially - she had the procedure under the watchful eye of her cardio team. She is *fine*. Hearbroken, but fine. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and comments. I really do appreciate them.

Edited by AimeeM

:grouphug::grouphug:

Just a thought on what to say:

Say you are sad for her that she is loosing something she so desperately wanted.

Say you understand the importance of the decision, and that you support her wisdom in having to make the choice she is.

Say you love her. Say you respect her. Say you will pray for her healing. Say you will be there for her.

Say that this situation is an impossible one, and that you hurt for her being forced into it.

Say you are happy she is taking care of her heart and will continue to be in this world.

Do not say that it was God' will.

Do not say that it is better this way.

Do not say that something else, will replace this loss.

Console, but do not try to make her feel better. Love her and mourn her loss with her. Help her not be alone as she goes through this.

Say you are sad for her that she is loosing something she so desperately wanted.

Say you understand the importance of the decision, and that you support her wisdom in having to make the choice she is.

Say you love her. Say you respect her. Say you will pray for her healing. Say you will be there for her.

Say that this situation is an impossible one, and that you hurt for her being forced into it.

Say you are happy she is taking care of her heart and will continue to be in this world.

Console, but do not try to make her feel better. Love her and mourn her loss with her. Help her not be alone as she goes through this.

:iagree:

Also, if you decide to send her something. Wait a week or after she gets home from the hospital. Everyone sends right away yet when you are home and your feelings are at their peak, a small something delivered then can make such a difference in your day.

Your sister will be grieving a loss. I think it's best to acknowledge that to her and communicate that you are sad for this loss in her life. Whatever the loss she shouldn't be made to feel like it's petty or "nothing" because it is *her* loss. Grieve with her over that. It may be likely that she will want to talk about it over and over - long after this surgery is behind her. It may take some patience on your part to walk with her along this road. :grouphug:

Agreed. The best you can do is acknowledge that is is awful. I know I've had more than one person, who was facing something terrible, be glad that instead of trying to cheer them up I just said "That sucks, I'm so sorry."

:iagree:

Very well said.

Praying for your sister and family. :grouphug: