Menu

I threw away a $1 bra today. Let's do a poll about "you get what you pay for".......

I don't think the statement is always true.

Case in point: Dollar Store bra. My booKs are, um, volumnous. ;) A "good bra" for my size runs more than $35! I saw one ostensibly in my size at the .99 cent store. It was way not ok.

Other things I've noticed "you get what you pay for"

1) Sink dish detergent. Cheap/generic ones have never worked as well for me.

2) Child care.

3) Panty hose.

4) Vacuums.

What are your items that you would not buy cheap?

I'm so glad you posted this b/c my neighbor just told me they have nursing bras at the local Dollar Tree. I was going to get one. Not now! You just saved me a buck. Toys at the dollar store are always cheap and fall apart. My kids LOVE to buy toys there when they have a dollar but mom always warns them against it. It always falls apart after a few hours of play. I also don't by cheapo diapers. Talk about leaks. And some off-brand cereal or other stuff...tastes like cardboard.

Especially for people with high arches like mine. I've never bought a bargain pair of shoes that I didn't regret SOON.

And lately: NOTEBOOK PAPER. The cheap stuff feels rough and looks dingy. I must have sensory issues, because I like writing on SMOOTH paper. The other stuff gives me the heebie-jeebies.

And while we're on the subject of school supplies, add: scissors, pens, pencils, pencil cases, erasers, crayons, paint, and glue. It does NOT pay to go cheap.

I don't think the statement is always true.

Case in point: Dollar Store bra. My booKs are, um, volumnous. ;) A "good bra" for my size runs more than $35! I saw one ostensibly in my size at the .99 cent store. It was way not ok.

Other things I've noticed "you get what you pay for"

1) Sink dish detergent. Cheap/generic ones have never worked as well for me.

2) Child care.

3) Panty hose.

4) Vacuums.

What are your items that you would not buy cheap?

Bread

Panties

Bras

Jelly

pencils

my highlights! Yikes, bad experience story!

These are just a few off the top of my head!!

Pretty much everything. And, as if it wasn't bad enough, most stores carry the same junk these days. You have to be so careful what you buy and where. Hence my flyswatter story:

This spring we needed a new flyswatter because we needed to eradicate some wasps on our deck. The only ones I could find to buy locally were trash. I bought one at "Lowe's, the Dollar store, and the grocery store. They were all the same hard plastic junk that smashes into a million tiny pieces the first time you swat at a fly and hit the deck railing instead.It made no difference where I bought it or how much I paid. I finally tracked one down online that was actually worth paying money for at Lehman's. It is leather with a metal handle. It is so discouraging how many times I try to buy something of value locally only to find the same junk at every store. Product quality is declining overall, even at respectable stores you used to be able to trust.

Rant over.

I have very wide feet with a strange arch (gotten worse since having kids.)

The only luck I have is when I spring for the store where they measure your feet and map your arch.

Summer--it's my Keen sandals and New Balance sneakers. For Winter--New Balance sneakers and Keen clogs.

also

Macaroni and Cheese. Gotta be Kraft.

I have a bra that I bought at Burlington Coat Factory for $5. It looked cute and it was super cheap. It became horribly misshapen with one washing. It's lying on my closet floor because it has been hard for me to get rid of it when I just bought it. What? Do I think I can salvage this piece of crap? No. I just watched that Messiest House clip and I'm going to go throw the danged thing away right now.

OTOH, the Danskin sports bras that I bought for about $10 at Walmart are working pretty nicely. They are the first sports bras I've wanted to wear because they a) are padded and I need that little extra and b) they don't squish what little I got. Victoria's Secret bras are sooo worth it, though, and that is what I usually go for.

Vacuums? I got tired of buying expensive vacuums and having them die after a few years. I decided I would take my chance with a cheap Walmart vacuum and it has not disappointed me. Of course I only have carpet in two rooms now, so that might have prolonged the life a little.

Drinking glasses (cheap ones are paper thin and crack so quickly

Most clothes from Old Navy/Target/etc (kids love them, but they almost never make it past one season)

Food (LOL) is there such a thing?

Cookware (rust or brake or don't work...)

The only glasses we will buy are Arcoroc, they ROCK! My in-laws have been buying them since way back when and got us some when we got married. I've had to add to the collection just so we would have more, but I LOVE them.

You don't want to know what I pay for bras. I love my Essential Bodywear Bra and that ain't cheap. (I have gotten new ones on e-bay cheaper though)

Phlox

Shoes--my shoes last forever since I mostly go barefoot, so I'd rather splurge on the good stuff and make it last.

Haircuts--cheap has always been a disaster, so I've just accepted that I'll be paying too much for the rest of my life.

Art supplies--I've tried cheap and I've tried expensive, and there's a big enough difference that I get the best I can afford.

Not worth the extra cost, in my experience, are expensive vacuum cleaners, toasters, and coffee makers. At our house they all have a 12-18 month life span, regardless of price.

Pet food. I would rather pay more for Iams than deal with the extra poop that comes from a cheaper food with more filler. Oh, and my shoes - gotta have those $100 or so running shoes with the extra $20 insoles to keep my plantar fasicitis (sp) in check.

Back in the 80s there was a Generic Store in the town where my parents lived. It was like a Dollar Store from a horror movie. They sold mostly grocery store stock and everything had those hideous black and white labels. Beans. Rice. Chicken Noodle Soup. ad nauseum. My mom took me shopping there when I got my first apt. I especially remember the M&M knock-offs being rather repulsive.

That being said, ita with the others who have said that it's worth paying for quality for most anything.

My priority list...

Shoes

Clothes

Toilet Paper

I do shop at discount stores (Ross,TJ Maxx, Burlington) and can sometimes find quality items at great prices.

Off the top of my head:

*Toys-I would rather have a few good ones around and most likely educational.

*small appliances-I love my Kitchen Aid blender and mixer and plan to use them for a long, long, time

*cookware-Still have what we got as a wedding present

*Having my hair done-I don't do it very often so will spend the extra bucks to go to a nicer place and have it done well. I have naturally curly hair and not everyone knows how to cut it! But, I will have to say, just b/c you pay more, doesn't mean it will be done right, I FINALLY found someone I *click* with in this area after 2 years of searching!:)

Shoes and bras.

For some of the other things, I love generic. We buy almost all generic food, love Target clothes (they last longer than one season for us, though), and I LOVE toys from the dollar store. I have to explain that one...I love them because they break...less clutter because I get to throw them out!

So many people say they can't afford to eat a healthy diet. Others would say you can't afford not to.

Yeah, we pay a ton on our grocery bill (not that it's always necessary...we definitely fall into the extreme catagory ...plus we don't have a garden) but no one in our household has been to the doctor in years and we are much healthier than when we started this process.

Yeah, it's a soapbox issue for me!:D

~Lisa

Trash bags.

Did anyone else watch Project Runway last night? That's what made me think of that! :D

Yep! Didn't she know that the generic trash bags are thin? If you want to imitate pleather, people, you need Hefty! Get a clue!

Okay, I buy the store brand for our kitchen trash, but I'm not trying to make clothing out of it.

We buy quality on toilet paper and sheets.

We are on a desperately tight budget, but I am wasting my money if I buy something besides Charmin, Clorox, Cremora, Crayola, Downy, and Bounty. If I buy cheap tissue, it takes 2 or 3 times as much. If I buy generic bleach, it yellows my whites. If I buy generic powdered coffee creamer, I wind up pouring out my coffee because I can't stand the taste. If I buy cheap-o crayons, they are too waxy & the wax smears or clumps on the paper.

Oh, yeah, I also prefer to buy Bounty paper towels because they really are more absorbent than the store brand. And I usually buy the (expensive but lightly scented) Downy Cashmere & Silk fabric softener because it I can't tolerate strong scents. Or I'll buy the unscented kind and mix it with equal parts of something less expensive like Purex Fresh Scent.

Back in the 80s there was a Generic Store in the town where my parents lived. It was like a Dollar Store from a horror movie. They sold mostly grocery store stock and everything had those hideous black and white labels. Beans. Rice. Chicken Noodle Soup. ad nauseum. My mom took me shopping there when I got my first apt. I especially remember the M&M knock-offs being rather repulsive.

It must have been the store where the mom from "Repo Man" shopped! :eek: