Menu

True Confessions #2: How many of you still crank up the radio in the car?

Simply curious. Obviously, since our dc's ears are delicate we shouldn't do that when they are in the car. When ds isn't with me, the volume goes up. Will anyone else confess to still doing that? :001_huh:

Oh, yes. Gosh, I do it with the kids in the car (not as loud as when they're gone, but still).

You have to be careful with song selection, though, or you end up with a two year old that sings Rock & Roll All Nite at her great aunt's birthday party.

Oh *absolutely*!!!!! My 9 yo hates it, so we don't do it often with him in the car. My oldest likes different music than my dd likes, so that gets kinda interesting. But when there's junk or nasty-not-niceness on HER station, I go looking around and if I find a good one, we CRANK IT UP!!!! ;)

That's when Andrew pulls out his mp3 player and listens to Big & Rich :D

Oh mercy, do I ever. Especially when "Walk this Way", "Woodstock" or any one of several ZZ Tops songs come on. Mortifies the children. They especially hate it when I have an air guitar attack.

If they complain about it being too loud I roll the windows down.

I'm guilty of this, too. :blushing: In fact, dh had to give me a little talking to:001_rolleyes: a few weeks ago when he called me several times on my cell phone... music was so loud in the car that none of us heard it ringing. :tongue_smilie:

But hey, my 3yo knows almost all the lyrics on the new Weezer cd, so it ain't all bad. :001_smile:

Absolutely!

Some songs require it!

Of course, when I was in high school my friend and I enjoyed blasting classical music and big band music. We genuinely enjoyed those types of music and we also loved the looks on the faces of passing adults when they realized we were blasting "Pennsylvania Six Five Thousand"!

Oh, yes, much to my children's dismay. And, like Remudamom, I embarrass them with air guitar, air bass, air drums, and sometime air keyboarding. Some songs are just too dangerous for me to hear on the road ;-)

If i'm going to listen to my music, I use the fade function and fade the speakers all the way to the front, to give them some respite :)

Oh, yes, much to my children's dismay. And, like Remudamom, I embarrass them with air guitar, air bass, air drums, and sometime air keyboarding. Some songs are just too dangerous for me to hear on the road ;-)

If i'm going to listen to my music, I use the fade function and fade the speakers all the way to the front, to give them some respite :)

The trick is to sorta tip your left leg up to steady the steering wheel so that you can play your air instruments and still have a sec before you careen off the road.

I'm guilty of this, too. :blushing: In fact, dh had to give me a little talking to:001_rolleyes: a few weeks ago when he called me several times on my cell phone... music was so loud in the car that none of us heard it ringing. :tongue_smilie:

Sakes, that's an easy fix. You put it on vibrate and slide it under your leg. When it goes off you hit the radio button and compose your dignity before answering.

I'm as likely to listen to NPR in the car...but my (just turned) 4 year-old son loves what is now called "classic rock".

And we hear frequent exhortations from the rear car-seat to "TURN IT UP" :glare: :lol:

Bill (who's revisiting the songs of his youth)

Our dc are consistently telling us that we need to turn it down in the car! (Not that it's that loud) They tease us about what we play loud:

The Monkees (please, don't ya just love Davy!)

Stryper (I still swoon over the yellow and black lycra outfits!:lol:)

The Phantom of the Opera (Swoon!)

and last but not least...

our wonderful classic 80's rock!:D

Oh, yes. Gosh, I do it with the kids in the car (not as loud as when they're gone, but still).

You have to be careful with song selection, though, or you end up with a two year old that sings Rock & Roll All Nite at her great aunt's birthday party.

LOLOL!!!! Gotta love some good old fashioned KISS every now and then, eh?

I LOVE to crank the radio. I don't do it with the kids in the car, although I do find that the radio has to be up a little louder than I'd like for everyone to be able to hear. And then I can't hear them when they try to talk to me and it's very irritating. Maybe they just don't need to talk to me in the car. Hmmm.

I love to crank Bon Jovi right now especially. I have a couple of playlists on my iPod that are for Mom-only time, that need to be loud and I have to sing along. I just discovered that I have NO WINGER available in digital music so I'm going to have to drag out the cassettes! Eek!

I am a hair band girl at heart, so that's what I will crank if I have a chance. Sadly, I've been convicted not to listen to that stuff so much anymore, but every now and then I just NEED it. Like chocolate.

Sakes, that's an easy fix. You put it on vibrate and slide it under your leg. When it goes off you hit the radio button and compose your dignity before answering.

surprised-002.gifAh, but you're assuming I know how to put it on vibrate... :lol:

Embarrassing the kids with loud music is a fine art practiced by both parents in this family. It is especially fun to pull up in the church parking lot with Lynyrd Skynyrd blaring out the window.

I pulled into the library parking lot last night. I guarantee I was the only blaring The Cars there.

Ab-so-lutley! I did it on the way home from Target last night:) Especially loudly cranked in the ol' car would be loads of the 80s stuff...Cure, Ramones, REM, Robert Palmer, Police, B52s, Elvis Costello, Prince, JC Mellencamp, Duran Duran,...as well as some early Guns N Roses, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam...

Whoa. Thanks for the trip down memory lane there...

Two side notes:

DD11 asked me the other day, "How do you do that?" after I was able to sing along to two "new" songs on her iTunes made CD. (they were ABBA songs...gearing up for Mamma Mia!). I sooo wanted to put on a sly smile and lie...but I talked to her about the beauty of remakes.

DS8 asked me to download "Sweet Cherry Pie" so he could do his own version of breakdancing to it. I did the download - then sang along, not realizing that the one he was familiar with was the Guitar Hero cleaned up version. Whoops! I corrected that one real quick.

Simply curious. Obviously, since our dc's ears are delicate we shouldn't do that when they are in the car. When ds isn't with me, the volume goes up. Will anyone else confess to still doing that? :001_huh:

I will confess to it. Like Andie, I also do it with the kids in the car. I figure, my dad did, and my ears are fine. We have an iPod adapter for the cassette player in my partner's minivan. We do listen to kid music, but it's good kid music:

, Moxy Fruvous, and such like this.

Heck, I do it at home, too. When we're cleaning, the music is blaring. I'm much less careful about what the kids hear when we're at home, because they're usually too distracted to play close attention to lyrics. In the car, in contrast, all they have to do is listen and daydream. (Also partly because if it weren't for the X-Ray Spex, I'd never get any cleaning done at all. We make a few allowances for Mama's motivation.)

Ab-so-lutley! I did it on the way home from Target last night:)

You didn't go to the Target in Deptford, NJ did you? As I was waiting at a light by Target the car next to me was blasting Bohemian Rhapsody.

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye

So you think you can love me and leave me to die

Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby

Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here music-rock.gif

Well yeah!! I crank it up everytime I get in the car.:D That is one of the joys of having teenagers, they like it just as loud or louder.

When I put on Avenged Sevenfold, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or Metallica, ds turns the volume up loud. When I put on Duran Duran, Aha, or Talking Heads, ds ducks down in his seat and tries to cut it down.:lol:

The only thing about having the music loud is the louder the music the faster I seem to go.;)

Raising my hand over hear too. :iagree:

You didn't go to the Target in Deptford, NJ did you? As I was waiting at a light by Target the car next to me was blasting Bohemian Rhapsody.

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye

So you think you can love me and leave me to die

Oh, baby, can't do this to me, baby

Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here music-rock.gif

Where is Astrid? We need her lighter.

Oh *absolutely*!!!!! My 9 yo hates it, so we don't do it often with him in the car. My oldest likes different music than my dd likes, so that gets kinda interesting. But when there's junk or nasty-not-niceness on HER station, I go looking around and if I find a good one, we CRANK IT UP!!!! ;)

That's when Andrew pulls out his mp3 player and listens to Big & Rich :D

:lol:We have several favorites that are "crank up" CDs....two of which are Big & Rich :lol: We listen loudly on long drives and occasionally around town.

Oh yah!!! And you should hear the volume of my mp3 player. :001_huh:

Of COURSE I do!! What I don't understand is why this warrants a confession. Is there an unwritten rule that says once you become a parent you are no longer allowed to appreciate music played at considerable volume? As if our father's, "Turn that crap down!" rings in our ears when the decibel level gets a little too great?

No way, man! I crank! Given that I drive an old hippy van in which the only working speakers are in the back where the kids sit, it is better that I do this when they are not in the car. By the time it's loud for me in the front, it's literally deafening in the back.

Funny, though, is when I turn on the ignition after having been rocking out all by myself and the volume is still up. The kids' eyes get big, they cover their ears as they grin and shout, "Woah, Mom -- doing some TUNES yesterday, or what?!" :lol: