Menu

COACH BAGS: Is it just me, or...

Are these Coach bags with all the Cs arranged in patterns - or, heaven help us, in quilt patterns - not the UGLIEST things around?

I know, I may offend some with this, but I'm truly sick of seeing all these bags. And you can't tell me that every Coach bag I see slung over women's shoulders are "real" Coach bags. I was just looking at a friend's bag and I know she didn't pay the $400+ the official Coach website says they retail for. Not only that, but I recently read in Consumer Reports that Coach doesn't sell flawed bags or greatly discounted bags unless they are sold in the Coach outlet.

Sorry, just feeling gripey (spell check tells me that's not a real word).

:confused:

I still get that annoyed and out of it feeling I got when I was in middle and high school and these expensive "popular people" trends got going.

Vera Bradley disgusts me as well.

What I wonder is how/wny so many teens have this designer stuff? Who pays for it?

I still get that annoyed and out of it feeling I got when I was in middle and high school and these expensive "popular people" trends got going.

Vera Bradley disgusts me as well.

What I wonder is how/wny so many teens have this designer stuff? Who pays for it?

I use Vera Bradley bags. I get them for a reasonable price through Ebay. These bags are nice and light. I have really bad shoulders, and they are the only ones that don't put unnecessary strain on them.

I remember one time a friend told me, "Check out that lady with the Kate Spade bag."

And I was very perplexed. Do people know which kind of bags are made by who? I'm sorry, I made my bag with old curtain fabric. If someone is trying to impress me with their name brand stuff, I'm sorry but it's all lost on me. I would never notice something like that.

Out of the loop, that's me.

I buy a new purse every ten years whether I need it or not. That's it. One purse. I also carry an Eddie Bauer backpack when walking to work.

Don't get the multiple bag thing. Other women must have much larger houses than I do. And I really don't get the Coach bag thing. They are especially ugly this year.

I use Vera Bradley bags. I get them for a reasonable price through Ebay. These bags are nice and light. I have really bad shoulders, and they are the only ones that don't put unnecessary strain on them.

I like Vera Bradley bags. I don't own any though. I could never decide on a fabric and the price was a little steep. I am so fickle.

My mom gave me a Vera Bradley bag for Christmas. It's very pretty, but I don't carry it very often. I prefer my backpack diaper bags. Actually, today (as I sit here in court being productive, can't you tell), I'm carrying a bag that a coworker gave me for Christmas 2 years ago - she said it cost her $5 (she gave one to everyone in the office). I LOVE IT! It's just a simple canvas bag (if you imagine something about twice the size of a paper bag with handles) and has a black and white toile print. I love toile.

I have a 20ish coworker who just got married and is expecting a baby in the fall. They are very deep in debt due to the wedding.

She just showed me her new diaper bag....a $400 Coach bag. I asked her if she could buy the same bag at Target for $40, would she buy it. She said "no!" I asked her if she liked the looks of the bag more or the brand more. She answered "the brand".

I told her I thought she was nuts. I personally would never carry a purse that was worth more than the $$$ I carry in it. I can imagine someone, stealing the purse and leaving the cash :lol:

But, I am not into $100 hair cuts or manicured nails either, so I am not much of a fashion Diva. Give this girl Eddie Bauer (love the fabrics and the Talls-and yes I would buy it Target if they sold the same thing ;)) and she is a happy girl.

Are these Coach bags with all the Cs arranged in patterns - or, heaven help us, in quilt patterns - not the UGLIEST things around?

I know, I may offend some with this, but I'm truly sick of seeing all these bags. And you can't tell me that every Coach bag I see slung over women's shoulders are "real" Coach bags. I was just looking at a friend's bag and I know she didn't pay the $400+ the official Coach website says they retail for. Not only that, but I recently read in Consumer Reports that Coach doesn't sell flawed bags or greatly discounted bags unless they are sold in the Coach outlet.

Sorry, just feeling gripey (spell check tells me that's not a real word).

:confused:

Well, I have a brown Coach purse. Dh got it for me as a surprise b/c he told me he always wanted me to have a really nice purse. I had never said anything about a purse, nor would I ever spend the money on it. He was so proud to give it to me, and of course I gladly accepted it. I've grown to love it, but I am a bit of a purse junkie so now I can't feed my craving for a new purse b/c I don't want to hurt his feelings! I've always got my purses at Marshall's where they are inexpensive. Now I have to just walk by really fast when I pass the purse aisle! Having said all that, my dh is wonderful to have thought of me and I'm thankful!

I used to love Coach bags. They were well made, used to be just plain leather ( in a few colors). I honestly don't know where they lost their way, but they have. I find most bags just plain ugly. This is one area you can call me a conservative! :smilielol5:

I found a brand new navy one at Goodwill a few years ago. Tags still attached, all for a lovely 3$. That is the reason I own a Coach bag!

I never understood the desire to advertise for a company by paying them to wear their logo.

Back in my working days I had a couple of the old style Coach bags, plain beautiful leather. I carried the first one for two years, the second I actually still have and it is in great condition.

Classic style and good quality I get and appreciate. Logo placement not so much.

I find most bags just plain ugly. This is one area you can call me a conservative! :smilielol5:

:lol::lol:

Actually, I love a funky bag, but I don't pay for a name. I have a neat Skip-Hop diaper bag that I got because of JessiTrivica's ;) recommendation, but I really prefer a plain vintage bag that I can adorn with gewgaws, pins, or a scarf...'cause I'm weird like that. :tongue_smilie:

When I worked in downtown DC having designer shoes and a bag along with your power suit was "it." Some of my coworkers would spend an entire bonus on shoes and bags.

I guess I was too much the scientist I trained to be, and I couldn't grasp the thrill of it. I liked my J.C. Penney bags and shoes just as much if not better than the designer ones.

Now that I'm "mostly" a mom, I've worn SAS shoes and carried a "Healthy Back" bag for several years. Several years ago when I introduced Jessie Wise at a conference, she had the indentical bag and very similar shoes, so I felt truly "in style"!

:lol::lol:

Actually, I love a funky bag, but I don't pay for a name. I have a neat Skip-Hop diaper bag that I got because of JessiTrivica's ;) recommendation, but I really prefer a plain vintage bag that I can adorn with gewgaws, pins, or a scarf...'cause I'm weird like that. :tongue_smilie:

What are gewgaws's? I am really trying hard to picture what a gewgaw is.:001_huh:

The old bags were lovely. The leather was so nice. I still like to smell them. :)

Notice, though, that my Coach bags are older than my kids. If I still had the money, I would perhaps still be buying designer bags, but I'm spending my extra money on homeschool stuff these days.

I had seen the bags with all the C's and never put together that they were Coach bags. I don't care for them.

I think Vera Bradley bags look like diaper bags.

It's like you people are all speaking in a foreign language.

I could not be more lost in a conversation.

Last Christmas I got a gift certificate to a certain big box store that is generally despised by many on here. I used it to buy a purse, since the one I was carrying at the time had been purchased as soon as my youngest child left behind the diaper bag phase.

Which reminds me, do/did y'all carry a purse and a diaper bag or did you do like me and just throw your wallet in the diaper bag and call it good?

Which reminds me, do/did y'all carry a purse and a diaper bag or did you do like me and just throw your wallet in the diaper bag and call it good?

I don't carry a purse. My large wallet/planner goes in the diaper bag, or even just by itself if I'm going someplace with the babes.

I carry a very small purse now. Just big enough for my keys, a tiny wallet (just bigger than a credit-card), my small phone and a tube of lip gloss.

When the boys were small I carried a slightly bigger purse. I just tucked a diaper, a small Ziploc bag with a couple of wipes and a small, empty bottle in it.

It's only my book bags that carry a substantial amount.

And they sell handbags?

Sorta-kinda-like those other people that sell handbags with letters on them? The Goochy Saint Lawrence Vittoni people or something?

And . . . like, you all can tell the difference between those bags and other bags?

My MIL once bought me a very nice purse. She told me the name of it, and I think she was disappointed at the reception. I wasn't trying to be rude. It just meant about as much to me as "Apple Breadfruit Wagon."

"Oh, OK, Mom. This is an Apple Breadfruit Wagon purse. That's so thoughtful of you."

In my diaper bag I carried my wallet, makeup (I was more consistent about wearing it then), and anything else to keep kids occupied.

I was so excited to get rid of my diaper bag. I went out and bought a cute small purse and hated it! I then bought a nice, large bag for myself that would fit everything I wanted. I'm now in a medium sized bag. I carry a book, my mp3 player, planner, bandaids, oh the list is endless. I gotta bring my stuff with me!

Wallet goes in the diaper bag, which is really more of a tote. I have a smallish purse that I carry when I'm not on diaper duty. Which is rare to never. Actually I imagine carrying that purse, it doesn't actually happen.

And they sell handbags?

Sorta-kinda-like those other people that sell handbags with letters on them? The Goochy Saint Lawrence Vittoni people or something?

And . . . like, you all can tell the difference between those bags and other bags?

Yes, Coach is a brand name, and back in the day they were known for very high quality leather goods. The leather was like buttah I tell you. And it lasted forever.

When Bud and I were dating he was trying to show off. We were at the mall and there was a Coach store. There was beautiful belt and he wanted it. He said he didn't care what the price was, he was going in there to buy it.

We left the mall without the $200 belt. :smilielol5:

I was only made aware of these bags when I was invited to a "Purse Party" hosted by one of my coworkers. [i only went because I felt obligated and DH promised to watch the kids while I got out of the house, as long as I didn't buy anything. Not a problem!}

All the purses at this purse party were Coco Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Coach, D&B, etc., and every single one of them was UGLY. Well, except for one that was kinda cute - only because it didn't have brand names all over it and it was leather - but it was $200 (purse party prices).

If you're not familiar with a purse party, it's where one of your friends ropes you (and 20 of her closest friends) into coming to her house where she hocks the merchandise, courtesy of a supplier. You buy a cheap bag, the supplier gets commission, and your friend gets "credit" for the merchandise. My coworker got something like $700 in credit.

Well, a couple of weeks after this party, the supplier calls my coworker at the office. [Keep in mind my coworker is an attorney.] The supplier says she just found out that all the bags were knock-offs and not the real thing. My coworker now fears that someone will find out she hosted this party and will face federal charges for peddling counterfeit goods. I just looked at her and said, "That's one of the reasons I didn't buy anything - beside fact I don't care for labels - if I did buy that sort of thing, I'm not going to waste my money on a fake." And, yes, these bags all had "papers," but they were all counterfeit.

BTW, this same coworker has crystal displayed in the window of her office...with the Waterford labels still attached. (How would anyone know it's Waterford without the label?)

I never understood the desire to advertise for a company by paying them to wear their logo.

Back in my working days I had a couple of the old style Coach bags, plain beautiful leather. I carried the first one for two years, the second I actually still have and it is in great condition.

Classic style and good quality I get and appreciate. Logo placement not so much.

:iagree: A Coach purse was my college graduation gift. It was a well-made, classy purse. I'm not sure what Coach purses are like anymore.

I have one that my mom gave me about 17 or so years ago. It is still here. It is the nice tan leather bag. She also got me a full length wool dress coat that year along with some Revere Ware and Pyrex. I think she was getting me ready to be an adult.

Dh got me a wallet to go with it at some point too. And I think DH has a belt from the outlet (less than $50 for sure). But all of those items were bought well over 12 years ago.

I don't buy Coach bags and haven't liked the ones sold at the BX or the price either. Since I am over 20 years in the military life as a military wife, I have developed a way of living. I adjust to whatever area I live in. Since I am living in Florida, I have been buying cute bags with cool themes or bright colors. I have had a turtle purse, monkeys in the jungle, and now just bright blue and aqua striped purse. I have gotten lots of compliments on my purses which has been strange for me. Anyway, I can afford a purse for $25 so that is what I do.

I like Coach. They've been around forever, just like Dooney & Burke. When someone pointed out the "every soccer mom in America" owns a Coach, I opted to find another brand. The heels are darling, but would rather spend $300 toward the bag of my dreams (LV).

Ya'll, Vera Bradley looks like an old bedspread!:tongue_smilie:

Guess this thread shows us why there are hundreds of styles of purses available on any given day.