Menu

What do you think of The Hobbit for reading in Christian Literature class?

I'm the head of a co-op and this is for a 6-8th grade class, is it appropriate or too advanced? I've got a mom upset, but my children read about wizardry all the time, so I don't have a problem with it, just wondering how others would react.

Is she upset about it being too advanced (it's not, imo) or about the content?

The content, said they don't do anything with magic or wizardry in their house and her son would probably have bad dreams.

Sorry, at some point the kids will be exposed to magical elements whether in LOTR, Shakespeare or mythology. If her son cannot handle it, then maybe he should try a different class.

The content, said they don't do anything with magic or wizardry in their house and her son would probably have bad dreams.

Tolkien was a passionate Christian who was a major factor in C.S. Lewis converting. While Tolkien was less vocal in his work regarding his faith, I am always confounded that anyone would have a problem with him.

I would suggest they pursue a different class. IMO a 6th-8th grade class is a bit advanced to be concerned about, "bad dreams," in a work that was specifically tailored for that age. IMO one of the many things Tolkien was exceptionally skilled at was not writing *too* scary* he knew when to step back and say no more. I think that is something many authors today could use a lesson in.

The Hobbit is a lovely book. How anyone could have a problem with it is beyond me.

Edited by Sis
'

This would be a "bless her heart and shut my mouth" situation for me. I would politely tell her that you are sorry the class won't work for them this time around and that you hope they find another that is a better fit for thier family

This would be a "bless her heart and shut my mouth" situation for me. I would politely tell her that you are sorry the class won't work for them this time around and that you hope they find another that is a better fit for thier family

:iagree: Nothing inappropriate in that book for that age range.

Sorry, at some point the kids will be exposed to magical elements whether in LOTR, Shakespeare or mythology. If her son cannot handle it, then maybe he should try a different class.

:iagree:

I work at a conservative Christian school and The Hobbit is part of our 8th grade English course. We do LOTR in high school as well.

We also do Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, and other books that would be seen as "scary" but they are works of great literary merit.

Edited by Heather in NC

Tolkien was a passionate Christian who was a major factor in C.S. Lewis converting. While Tolkien was less vocal in his work regarding his faith, I am always confounded that anyone would have a problem with him.

I would suggest they pursue a different class. IMO a 6th-8th grade class is a bit advanced to be concerned about, "bad dreams," in a work that was specifically tailored for that age. IMO one of the many things Tolkien was exceptionally skilled at was not writing *too* scary* he knew when to step back and say no more. I think that is something many authors today could use a lesson in.

The Hobbit is a lovely book. How anyone could have a problem with it is beyond me.

If the mom has a problem, her kid should drop the class.

Well said.

If I'd signed up for a Christian Lit class, I might've expected material that is different. Like writings of the saints or C.S. Lewis stuff. If The Hobbit was spelled out on the syllabus, I guess she can deal with it or drop the class.

I thought the implication was that it was a literature class in a Christian co-op, not that it was advertised as a "Christian literature class."

I'm the head of a co-op and this is for a 6-8th grade class, is it appropriate or too advanced? I've got a mom upset, but my children read about wizardry all the time, so I don't have a problem with it, just wondering how others would react.

I think it's a great choice. I don't understand the mom who is upset. It seems all she has to do is to not choose to enroll her child and do something else at home.

Pay her no mind. She can choose not to enroll her child in the course.

I've run into this kind of thing before. In my case, I was "disinvited" to do biology labs with a homeschool co-op (we aren't personally involved in the group but they know that I teach this kind of material). The reason for the "dis-invitation" was because the leader found out that my kids have read the Harry Potter Books and we allow them to do the yoga on the Wii Fit Plus program. She felt that I'd be bringing a spirit of witchcraft and paganism with me. :glare: She did have the nerve to ask if they could still borrow my equipment! :toetap05: I told her something along the lines that if she was afraid of me she should probably be really frightened of my microscope and dissection pans, afterall, they might be instruments of the devil. I never heard from them again. :D

"The Hobbit" really isn't a controversial book. It's very mainstream even amongst most evangelicals, conservatives, secular homeschoolers, etc. It's pretty ecumencial of the myriad of worldviews. Therefore, you really shouldn't worry about it; do not change the plan. She can take her child somewhere else for a literature class.

Faith

I've run into this kind of thing before. In my case, I was "disinvited" to do biology labs with a homeschool co-op (we aren't personally involved in the group but they know that I teach this kind of material). The reason for the "dis-invitation" was because the leader found out that my kids have read the Harry Potter Books and we allow them to do the yoga on the Wii Fit Plus program. She felt that I'd be bringing a spirit of witchcraft and paganism with me. :glare: She did have the nerve to ask if they could still borrow my equipment! :toetap05: I told her something along the lines that if she was afraid of me she should probably be really frightened of my microscope and dissection pans, afterall, they might be instruments of the devil. I never heard from them again. :D

Faith

You have to be kidding!! :001_huh:

Edited by MSPolly
removed personal info re:a family I know

"The Hobbit" really isn't a controversial book. It's very mainstream even amongst most evangelicals, conservatives, secular homeschoolers, etc. It's pretty ecumencial of the myriad of worldviews. Therefore, you really shouldn't worry about it; do not change the plan. She can take her child somewhere else for a literature class.

Faith

:smilielol5:

ITA, The Hobbit really isn't controversial. There's no reason in the world to change your plans for this one family over a universally accepted classic. It's totally on them to pull their kid if they don't want him to read it.

You have to be kidding!! :001_huh:

Not kidding! Another family joined our 4-H club and then dropped out after a meeting we had here at our home. They saw The Chronicles of Narnia, LOTR, and Harry Potter on our shelves and in conversation with our sons during a "get to know you" time, discovered our boys do the Yoga on the Wii. We were told in no uncertain terms that these books in conjunction with the Yoga would bring the devil into our home and that we were dangerous influences on their children.

Haven't really missed them from 4-H! :001_smile:

Faith

Faith

:lol: hilarious.

I've read the Hobbit and dare I say... :leaving: that I found the book to be interesting but not that great of a read, personally. I pre-read it for my ds' literature course and he has a big phobia of spiders. There is a bit of that in there for arachnophobes, btw. And the part about Smaug was interesting... but oh my lawd... the plot takes FOREVER. (I get impatient or ADHD... if the plot is not captivating. LOL) ZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ. ;) I was not a fan of Toilken after the Hobbit.

That being said, if the teacher takes the book and does a sharp analysis of the plot and course to perk those reluctant students (like myself) -- I can see it being a fun course.

FaithManor, I'm still laughing! That family wanted to borrow your biology equipment??? Beakers and microscopes and other items that might actually be your demonic tools of alchemy??? Think it through, people! If Faith wanted to practice the dark arts, wouldn't she maybe use the test tubes? :lol:

Now Tibbie, "don't put me up to no good!" Who knows what I might dream up! Of course, my beakers have seen some interesting use...there is currently some seriously hardened Pepto Bismol in one of them after a failed experiment and frankly, hot water, sodium hydroxide, and vinegar have NOT phased it. So, me thinks I'm going to have to get tough with that beaker or toss it! :D I've been known to do some "wicked" chemistry around here and you DON'T want to know what dh just did to my hardwood floor.

Well, maybe you do want to know. He's trying to build an HHO generator and is using sodium hydroxide as his electrolyte...one of the hoses sprung a leak. He didn't notice for a while and of course our lab is MY FAMILY ROOM!!!!!!!! So, now there is a 2' x3' oval-ish area that needs to be refinished. :glare:

I am the careful chemist. He is the hairbrained alchemist of insane exploits that great comedic books are written about and whilst the readership is ROFL, I'm cleaning up! :tongue_smilie:

Faith

Faith

I think it is more fantasy with the use of age-old mythology woven in. I think if someone did a good World Religion or Worldviews course with it, or did additional lectures or discussion on the power of myth in society... it would make the book come alive. You can use it as a springboard into many areas besides the LOTR subjects. But I do agree it is very across the board ecumenical -- IMO.

I have absolutely no problem with it, and I am one who has chosen not to read Harry Potter. (I don't care if anyone else reads it, but I'm choosing not to). If I did have a problem with The Hobbit, I would just politely decline having my child in the class.

I agree with a PP who said not to change what you are doing.

:smilielol5:

ITA, The Hobbit really isn't controversial. There's no reason in the world to change your plans for this one family over a universally accepted classic. It's totally on them to pull their kid if they don't want him to read it.

:iagree: If the Hobbit isn't ok, what will be? You'd probably have to change the entire tone of the class to make this one mom happy.

I've read the Hobbit and dare I say... :leaving: that I found the book to be interesting but not that great of a read, personally.............. And the part about Smaug was interesting... but oh my lawd... the plot takes FOREVER. (I get impatient or ADHD... if the plot is not captivating. LOL) ZZZzzzzzZZZZZZ. ;) I was not a fan of Toilken after the Hobbit.

That being said, if the teacher takes the book and does a sharp analysis of the plot and course to perk those reluctant students (like myself) -- I can see it being a fun course.

Relieved I am not the only one to think that.;)

Not kidding! Another family joined our 4-H club and then dropped out after a meeting we had here at our home. They saw The Chronicles of Narnia, LOTR, and Harry Potter on our shelves and in conversation with our sons during a "get to know you" time, discovered our boys do the Yoga on the Wii. We were told in no uncertain terms that these books in conjunction with the Yoga would bring the devil into our home and that we were dangerous influences on their children.

Faith

Wow.

Faith

Reminds me of the woman who pulled her 12-year-old daughter out from our Christian co-op choir (the woman was in the room because she didn't believe a man should be directing a mixed-group young adults without a parent in the room) because they were practicing "Masquerade." When the mom learned it was from Phantom of the Opera she had a cow and said their family didn't believe in ghosts and that such things were an entry for Satan.

Pulled her daughter out right in the middle of choir that day.

Reminds me of the woman who pulled her 12-year-old daughter out from our Christian co-op choir (the woman was in the room because she didn't believe a man should be directing a mixed-group young adults without a parent in the room) because they were practicing "Masquerade." When the mom learned it was from Phantom of the Opera she had a cow and said their family didn't believe in ghosts and that such things were an entry for Satan.

:confused:

These are the times that people make themselves look *seriously* ignorant. There is no ghost!!!! That is the whole point!

:001_rolleyes:

:lol:

Now I have "There is no Phantom of the Operaaaaaa!" playing in my head.

That is bizarre.