Menu

Do one-year-olds go to "school?"

WHOA! I'm the OP. The crazy quote is not from me! I'm the "not an issue, just a topic of conversation" one. It's just something I don't get, and thought I'd ask about while my kids finished lunch.

Oh, sorry! I got my lower case k names mixed up!

Now, to get back to the original question. The answer that looms most largely in my own head why people are not as keen on using the words day and care together is due to those terrible stories of sex abuse in day care centers in the 1980's. (Most of which turned out not to be true.)

Time and events change how we use and think about words and language.

Edited by LibraryLover

My sister has called the place my niece and nephew attended starting at six weeks old "school." I mean, I guess it's right in the name: The Goddard School. To me it's just fancy, overpriced daycare.

Tara

A friend from high school recently had her first child. When the baby was either 6 or 8 weeks old, she posted photos from her "first day of school." I don't think she goes to a fancy, overpriced place though, so it sounds like a widely used title. My sister works at a daycare. She doesn't call it a school, but a lot of the parents do. It doesn't particularly bother me, but it does strike me as a bit odd to call it school for that age.

I'm sure I do things that other people think are odd, like using that silly K4 title. It's been useful shorthand for me to describe a young child working on some academic stuff in addition to all the finger painting and mudpies, but I know people think it's ridiculous. My recent birth was also an induction, with no pain meds. Does that count as a natural birth? The postpartum nurses gave me a hero's welcome. I'm pretty sure they do that for everyone though. :lol:

I've had babies just about every way possible. My last baby was my only c-section. There were epidurals, and times when there was nothing at all. In my opinion, it's all natural. If I had given birth out of my nose or if they came out of the toaster oven, I'd consider that unnatural.

I don't care what people call the things they do. If it makes them feel better or justified or whatever and it doesn't affect me, I don't mind.

Back when I worked in the campus child care facility in college in the mid-90s, the lead caregivers did refer to themselves as teachers, and they did refer to it as "school." I think they felt that one, the children with older siblings liked going to school and feeling big, and two, they did do preschool and early learning activities with the children. I've seen daycares where the children just sit in front of the TV all day, and while they're certainly not all that way, I think the place where I worked wanted to distinguish themselves as a place that actively promoted (in age-appropriate ways) learning. I do think there is a more negative connotation with "daycare" than with "school" in general.

As for "natural birth," I think the term is ridiculous. Were aliens involved? No. Then it's probably not an unnatural birth, regardless of whether the baby came via the birth canal or the abdomen, with an epidural or not. I generally use the term "drug-free," because that should be fairly obvious that it was a) vaginal and b) without an epidural/other pain meds.

I'm sure I do things that other people think are odd, like using that silly K4 title. It's been useful shorthand for me to describe a young child working on some academic stuff in addition to all the finger painting and mudpies, but I know people think it's ridiculous. My recent birth was also an induction, with no pain meds. Does that count as a natural birth? The postpartum nurses gave me a hero's welcome. I'm pretty sure they do that for everyone though. :lol:

I use a K4 title too. Around here the public schools have a 2 year full-day Kindergarten program with 4 and 5 year olds combined. I use K4 or Junior Kindergarten to indicate which year of Kindergarten.

The natural birth thing confuses me too. I did have two births natural and one with several interventions. C-sections are so common now that the definition has changed I think. Philosophically I can't define my one birth that was full of interventions (excepting a c-section) as natural.

I haven't read the comments but I will say both of my kids went to "school" at a young age. DD was 20 months old and ds 2.5.

DD went to a sensory based preschool. It was NOT daycare. She went 3x a week for 2.5 hours each time. It was primarily because she had high sensory needs that we were working with a OT on and she needed a very high intensity sensory diet. I also had another special needs child so she went there while ds went to his docs/therapist.

DS started at 2.5 in a special needs preschool. He went for 6 months than went back to traditional therapy for 9 months and then to 3 year old preschool.

My baby goes to daycare while I work/study, and I will admit to sometimes calling it "school." Not because I actually look at it as school, but more because it is a slip up. My 4 year old goes to preschool, and I sometime to simplify things will say I am "taking the girls to school" etc.

My 17 month old is currently in full day daycare, due to DS1's accident. I call it daycare when talking to DH or other adults. I call it preschool around him and the 3 and 5 year old. Since the daycare also has a part day preschool program that DD starts in 2 weeks and DS went for 2 years as well, all 3 identify it as preschool so that is what we call it when speaking to them.

Yes the 17 month old is in daycare, they do some basic preschool type things even at that age, but yes it is mainly daycare. The 3 year old however who is in the same building, with different teachers and just down the hall is in preschool, so it is easier to call it that for both of them.

In my other homeschooling circle. you are considered a homeschooling parent at 2.5-3. its Montessori based and the montessori program runs primary from 2.5 or 3 to 6yrs old. It is not considered daycare. It is school. The children are learning reading, the four basic math operations, zoology, botany,geography etc. By 6 they are very far ahead. I am not sure about daycares though. I guess it depends what a person would consider school

I wonder if calling daycare school will eventually make it easier to adjust to earlier mandated schooling?

:iagree:**ding, ding** We have a winner! This is exactly what I thought of when I read the OP. Not that people shouldn't have the right to call it whatever they want. But there is a very fine line between calling something "x" because it sounds cute ("Awwwww.....Little Johnny "graduated" from preschool last week!") and expecting folks to fall in line and do something just because of what "x" supposedly represents.

I just find it odd that people attach such status to labels, they use them for things that aren't what they are.

Daycare is daycare. Yes, some of them provide a very learning-rich environment for infants and toddlers, but they are still daycares. My eldest daughter, when she was very young, went to a sitter. Then, she went to a preschool, which had direct teaching and an academic scope and sequence, and prepped her to be ready for school. Then, she went to daycare. They brought her to school and picked her up. It was daycare.

When I was a kid, we went to nursery school. It was that step between being completely unstructured at home and the structure of kindergarten.

I generally don't nitpick over where people place their children while they work (or don't), but I have a hard time accepting that we should all just go merrily along calling things whatever we want. Words have assigned meaning; otherwise, why would we have language?

A different spin:

Does using "daycare=school" cause an assumption of the inverse to be true "school=daycare"?

Funny question.

I have seen some very nice preschool programs, and I also have no problem with children having the opportunity for high quality, small group, non-academic enrichment programs outside the home. I have seen several shows on Scandinavian early childhood programs, and they look so nice. They do things like sing songs, draw, cook, play outside, and so forth.

Clearly a 6 week old is not a "student." So to me, it's silly. There is a place called something like Little People's University near me, and it makes me somewhat ill. It just sounds dumb, not academic.

What do you think? One of my FB friends put a bookbag on her 15mo, barely walking daughter yesterday and posted her "FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! She's growing up so fast!"

When did daycare turn into "school?" Is there a difference?

I would LOL and say 'that is hilarious.'

And then she would probably unfriend me. Shrug.

I think I know what you mean. I've been to homeschool groups where some of the members were homeschooling their 3 year olds. They felt they were homeschoolers because they weren't sending their kids to preschool (but had no intention of keeping them home for school beyond that). I don't personally care either way, but I wouldn't really call that homeschool or school.

And that is why our local homeschool group has a policy of not accepting parents of just preschoolers who have no older siblings being homeschooled. We had a few local parents who were spreading the word about co-ops and signing up even though they had no intention of homeschooling. Th issues was discussed and leaders decided no pre-school only families. They have to wait until they are homeschooling school-aged children.

I just find it odd that people attach such status to labels, they use them for things that aren't what they are.

Daycare is daycare. Yes, some of them provide a very learning-rich environment for infants and toddlers, but they are still daycares.

:iagree:

I have heard daycare called school often. I also know of many daycares that are licensed as preschools so although the youngest of teh crew is technically daycare only the place is called a preschool so they call it school. As well some programs like Montessori is considered school, though out here the youngest placement is usually 18 months not 15. I know those that put their little ones in a Waldorf program also don't call it daycare even if that is what it is, they call it school.

After 26 years working in daycare I am not surprised anymore to hear it called school.

I always figured that people called it school because it made the kids happy. Little kids want to be like big kids, so telling them that they are going to school hurts no one and makes them happy.

Also, although we homeschool preschool right now, when talking to people, I still say that I plan on homeschooling, or that I'm homeschooling preschool, but I don't call us homeschoolers yet. That is my preference and what I feel is most accurate, but I'm definitely not a judgy mcjudgerson if others call it differently.

I always figured that people called it school because it made the kids happy. Little kids want to be like big kids, so telling them that they are going to school hurts no one and makes them happy.

Also, although we homeschool preschool right now, when talking to people, I still say that I plan on homeschooling, or that I'm homeschooling preschool, but I don't call us homeschoolers yet. That is my preference and what I feel is most accurate, but I'm definitely not a judgy mcjudgerson if others call it differently.

:iagree: Before my children were school-aged, we "parented". ALL parents teach their children and facilitate their learning in those early years. We became "homeschoolers" when we chose home education as the path we would take instead of enrolling them in school. That is a specific role in addition to parenting.

I have family members who drop their kids off at daycare at 7 AM and pick them up as 5:30 PM because they have to work. I call that daycare. I have friends who drop their kids off at pre-school for 2-3 hours in the afternoon or morning. I call that pre-school. There is no judgement there. I just think of it as a more apt description.

JMO,

Joy

In the way "school" is used for 6 months or 1.5 yr olds, I feel totally comfortable in saying, " I have homeSCHOOLed my kids since Day 1" because I sing to and read to them (especially when they were under 1) and teach them all. Day. Long including "wash your hands", "make your bed this way", "don't hit your brother", "bake it at 420 degrees for 12 minutes if you want a more crispy crust", and now more often I say "is there another way to solve this word problem?"?

Between 6 and 18 months? None of my kids have been able to bake a pizza. just fyi. I guess they're slow. ::tongue_smilie::lol:

Between 6 and 18 months? None of my kids have been able to bake a pizza. just fyi. I guess they're slow. ::tongue_smilie::lol:

My time period is progressive, meaning I started with singing to and reading to them when they could only eat, poop, and sleep, then teaching them life skills when they could handle it, to now saying "bake this at this temperature" when they are 7 and 9. I didn't say i asked them to bake when they were 6 months old. Just clarifying:lol::lol:

I prefer to call daycare daycare and preschool preschool so that it is easy to understand. My kids did go to day care for a few months.