Menu

Do one-year-olds go to "school?"

That's been the trend the last few years. Daycare is now called school. I don't consider it school, but I've been shot down for having that opinion.

I also don't care for the new meaning of "natural" birth. Apparently, that only means vaginal. It has nothing to do with drugs or other interventions being used or not used. I can't tell you how many women have told me they had a natural birth and found out that they mean a vaginal birth with epidural. I don't care if one has drugs during labor/birth. I'm just confused as to why it's called natural.

Just like I'm confused as to why daycare is called school.

Semantics.

I always called it "school." My kids started at age 2. Their daycare starts flashcarding / singing letters etc. around age 18mos.

I figure that if it's going to be a long-term thing, might as well give it a name that will stick. Eventually it's going to be "preschool" etc. My kids even did KG and then summer camp at their original "school." I can't imagine them calling it "daycare."

What do you think? One of my FB friends put a bookbag on her 15mo, barely walking daughter yesterday and posted her "FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! She's growing up so fast!"

When did daycare turn into "school?" Is there a difference?

Well, I guess when you push them to look older than they are, it seems like they're growing up faster....

I know a lot of people who call daycare school - I think it's just easier, gets the kids used to the idea of "this is where kids spend their days" so when they do move to kindergarten it's the same thing in a different building. I had a cousin who had to go to a "parent-teacher conference" for his 3yo (daycare "teacher"). :tongue_smilie:

My opinion--Moms call it "school" so they feel okay about leaving their kids there all day. "Daycare" makes them feel guilty. I know several working women who leave their kids in "school" even when they have a days off. Can't miss "school", right?!?

Well, I guess when you push them to look older than they are, it seems like they're growing up faster....

I know a lot of people who call daycare school - I think it's just easier, gets the kids used to the idea of "this is where kids spend their days" so when they do move to kindergarten it's the same thing in a different building. I had a cousin who had to go to a "parent-teacher conference" for his 3yo (daycare "teacher"). :tongue_smilie:

My kids got homework from their "school" at age 3. :):001_huh: And yes, we had parent-teacher conferences. "No potty accidents, your kid doesn't like peas . . . "

My opinion--Moms call it "school" so they feel okay about leaving their kids there all day. "Daycare" makes them feel guilty. I know several working women who leave their kids in "school" even when they have a days off. Can't miss "school", right?!?

Is there a "cough . . . cough . . . ahem" smiley?

I am quite proud of the choice I made for my kids to be in daycare/school.

I've seen workbooks in stores to prepare one for preschool. :lol:

Oh my gosh, I found stuff online that I couldn't believe! I was curious to know what some of the folks here were listing in their signatures, and it amazed me. Test taking skills for kids who are still in diapers! Isn't butt wiping enough complexity for that age?

Around here there are a few toddler programs which are basically like junior preschool that start at 15 months. My oldest two attended them, and my youngest will go this year. It's a few hours a day, a few days per week, so it's definitely not daycare.

Just to clarify, this woman works full-time. Her mom has been watching the baby but she's due with her second in a few months and the mom can't watch both.

I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't upset me. I just don't understand. Is daycare a bad word? I went to daycare. I called it daycare. I'm okay.

Also, my babies came out of my vagina, but there wasn't much else natural about it given they were hospital inductions with epidurals. I did have one person ask me if I did it naturally and when I said no, asked how my c-section healed. That did confuse me.

Just to clarify, this woman works full-time. Her mom has been watching the baby but she's due with her second in a few months and the mom can't watch both.

I don't have a problem with it. It doesn't upset me. I just don't understand. Is daycare a bad word? I went to daycare. I called it daycare. I'm okay.

Also, my babies came out of my vagina, but there wasn't much else natural about it given they were hospital inductions with epidurals. I did have one person ask me if I did it naturally and when I said no, asked how my c-section healed. That did confuse me.

Saw this after my post. I would not call daycare, school, but yes, it seems daycare has become a bad word. I see it substitued for other words, like school, often. Makes me confused, the same way your natural vs c-sec story does! I agree with you!

I'm waiting for the day the school administrator is waiting for your child to be handed over as it is expelled from the birth canal.

Honestly, I'm surprised they use the honor system when it comes to enrolling your kid when the time comes. You could probably slip under the radar for quite a while if you wanted to. Not that that's a bad or good thing, just odd considering how Big Brother is generally all up in our business.

:lol: I never would have thought about the difference between natural birth/no meds vs. 'natural birth'/vaginal until I had kids.

Now I try to make sure that I find a way to say it that comes out correctly. People asked if my SIL had her 10 lb 6 oz baby naturally, and I'm thinking....uhhh.... because 'vaginally' isn't really a word I use in conversation with acquaintances, kwim? :lol: ... so I was like, 'Oh, she didn't have a c-section, but she did have an epidural.' :D

I also don't think calling it school is a big deal. I will admit, though, that when I visited pre-schools when Link was 3, the ones inside daycares were a lot more daycare-ish and less school-ish. I chose a school-ish one because it fit more into what 'preschool' should be for me. Not that I have a problem with the other, but since I felt no need to send my son to daycare (I've always been a SAHM), I preferred the preschool that was actually part of a school. :) Not saying, either, that the other program wasn't fine. Just my personal preference.

I'll admit that I'm sad about the number of kids in daycare, period, but the fact is that there is just no way around it for many families. :(

I always called it "school." My kids started at age 2. Their daycare starts flashcarding / singing letters etc. around age 18mos.

I figure that if it's going to be a long-term thing, might as well give it a name that will stick. Eventually it's going to be "preschool" etc. My kids even did KG and then summer camp at their original "school." I can't imagine them calling it "daycare."

Not to be combative or anything, but sometimes I wonder why folks here call it "school" when their tots as young as 2-3 play with letters at home. We did that stuff too, but I never called it "school." ;)

It's school if you outsource but not if you DIY? I'm confused.

Many daycares are preschools and some include private kindergartens, so I'm not sure what's so stupid about referring to them as school.

Did someone call it stupid?

I'm waiting for the day the school administrator is waiting for your child to be handed over as it is expelled from the birth canal.

Soon to be followed by a school rep at your OB's office, ready to issue prenatal headphones and audio lessons for your unborn child. :D

Around here people refer to 'preschool', even when there is a child care component. Many parents do work and need good child care, or want their children to attend p/t programs for the fun it. Many of the churches & synagogues are me have various sorts of 'preschool' programs, starting at 18 months. Some people use it for 'preschool', and some people who call it 'preschool' or 'school' are working parents. They don't tend to run as long as programs geared to full time working parents, so you often see grandparents or babysitters picking up the children.

Any good child care program has 'educational' aspects. They have different activities throughout the day, read books, learn little songs, learn letters and counting; there different 'centers' (book corner, block area, art, nature tables +, fine and gross motor activities etc.)

There are some nice programs out there, and I've know hs parents who have used 'preschool' or 'day care programs' a few hours a week so their little one has something fun to do while the parent hs the older children.

I don't see any problem at all in calling it school, or preschool. When I did a Waldorf parent playgroup at a Waldorf school with my kids, I would say, we are 'going to the Waldorf school" or "Waldorf play group."

Why would that be a an issue for anyone?

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't understand why there is an issue calling preschools "school." And any good daycare *is* preschool. The focus may or may not be academics but it is educational socially, emotionally, academically, physically, whatever. What *does* make something school if it isn't that it is educational in some developmental area? And why would you put a kid in ANYTHING that wasn't educational in *some* developmental area? I'm not even sure that is POSSIBLE.

Additionally, if a kid is going to spend 3-9 hours a day in this setting, it makes sense to have conferences with the teachers (and aren't they teaching, facilitating, guiding, helping, etc? Would you really leave your kid somewhere they were only throwing food at them and wiping their butts?). These people often *do* have child development knowledge, see many children of similar ages, etc. They also often have to have continuing education. I would *want* to know their opinion of how my child is doing based on their experience and education as well as their hours of time with my kid. Of course, I'll weight it with my own knowledge, fully aware kids show different skill sets, personalities, etc in different settings.

I find it odd that some people would need to discount the value of preschool, the teachers that work there, and that 15 month olds very well could be, really *should be,* learning there. We may make a different choice based on what we consider important. But that really doesn't change that there *is* some value in a quality preschool, even for a toddler.

Anyway, guess maybe I feel differently about it as I truly believe toddlers DO benefit from preschool. Weighted, I just believe they benefit MORE from being with mom (and siblings) hence my choices.

I do say "daycare" when I'm talking to adults who need to know, for example, that I can't be on a conference call after 6pm because I have to pick up my kids at "daycare." But with the kids I'd use "school" because it had all the earmarks of school as far as they were concerned. Expected to be there by 9am, sitting in a group with same-age kids, learning academics, doing seatwork, etc. They do not know or care that lots of kids of that age don't go to "school."

Around here people refer to 'preschool', even when there is a child care component. Many parents do work and need good child care, or want their children to attend p/t programs for the fun it. Many of the churches & synagogues are me have various sorts of 'preschool' programs, starting at 18 months. Some people use it for 'preschool' and some people who call it 'preschool' are working parents.

Any good child care programs have certain 'educational' aspects. They have different activities, read books, learn little songs, learn letters and counting, there different 'centers' (book corner, block area, art, nature tables +, fine and gross motor activities etc.)

There are some nice programs out there, and I've know hs parents who have used 'preschool' or 'day care programs' a few hours a week so their little one is bored or getting into everything while they hs.

I don't see any problem at all in calling it school, or preschool. When I did a Waldorf parent playgroup at a Waldorf school with my kids, I would say, we are 'going to the Waldorf school" or "Waldorf play group."

Why would that be a an issue for anyone?

Again, it's not an "issue," I'm just wondering why daycare has become a bad word. If you drop your child off at 8AM and pick them up at 6PM five days a week because you are otherwise engaged, I think of that as daycare. I wet to daycare full-time until my first day of kindergarten. I learned everything that was covered in kindergarten there. But, it still wouldn't occur to me to call that school.

I don't understand why there is an issue calling preschools "school." And any good daycare *is* preschool. The focus may or may not be academics but it is educational socially, emotionally, academically, physically, whatever. What *does* make something school if it isn't that it is educational in some developmental area? And why would you put a kid in ANYTHING that wasn't educational in *some* developmental area? I'm not even sure that is POSSIBLE.

Additionally, if a kid is going to spend 3-9 hours a day in this setting, it makes sense to have conferences with the teachers (and aren't they teaching, facilitating, guiding, helping, etc? Would you really leave your kid somewhere they were only throwing food at them and wiping their butts?). These people often *do* have child development knowledge, see many children of similar ages, etc. They also often have to have continuing education. I would *want* to know their opinion of how my child is doing based on their experience and education as well as their hours of time with my kid. Of course, I'll weight it with my own knowledge, fully aware kids show different skill sets, personalities, etc in different settings.

I find it odd that some people would need to discount the value of preschool, the teachers that work there, and that 15 month olds very well could be, really *should be,* learning there. We may make a different choice based on what we consider important. But that really doesn't change that there *is* some value in a quality preschool, even for a toddler.

Anyway, guess maybe I feel differently about it as I truly believe toddlers DO benefit from preschool. Weighted, I just believe they benefit MORE from being with mom (and siblings) hence my choices.

I haven't seen much of the attitude that you are referencing here. :confused: Unless I just missed it?

Again, it's not an "issue," I'm just wondering why daycare has become a bad word. If you drop your child off at 8AM and pick them up at 6PM five days a week because you are otherwise engaged, I think of that as daycare. I wet to daycare full-time until my first day of kindergarten. I learned everything that was covered in kindergarten there. But, it still wouldn't occur to me to call that school.

Here they call it 'preschool'. It seems that most of the schools have both part- time and full- time children/students, some who use the extended day option, and some who do not. So in any given program, you have children there for a variety of reasons. For fun (2 or 3 mornings a week), some 5 mornings a week, some a full day, and some who use the 'extended day options.' Maybe a parent using the school from 9-5 will call it day care, and the parent who uses it T & Th from 9-12 are calling it preschool. There are working parents and at-home parents in the mix, but most people simply say preschool.

The words 'Day Care' did get a stigma, like Latch Key Child, so maybe that's why it's 'preschool' here.

Also, most programs employ certified teachers, or at least people who have AA degrees in ECE. The director of a preschool, or child care program, in my town has a Master's Degree in Special Ed, for instance.

A family member started sending her son to 'school' when he was not quite 2. He has autism, and attended a program with special ed teachers, got ABA, but it was open until 5 or 6, so there was also a 'day care ' component. (Her child came home much earlier, as she wasn't working.)

There are many 'professional' teachers in child care/preschool/day care program, as opposed to family child care, where the only requirement is a certificate from the state. Family home program providers don't need any ECE credits or degree, but most day care programs here do. If you have a preschool, or day care, with folks with teaching degrees, I would think calling it preschool seems appropriate, no matter how many hours it is in operation each day.

Why do people think it's odd that a parent might call day care preschool or school? The children certainly take part in educational activities. Parent/Teacher conferences are part of any program, ime, in my neck of the woods. When my oldest went to preschool 2 mornings a week when he was 4, we had 2 a year. They would always start with, "So, how is Your Son enjoying school?" and "Do you have any questions about his day or our program?" etc. We'd answer and then they would talk about what he did, and who his friends were etc. It felt nice. They were staying in touch with our needs/his needs. I liked hearing the cute stories. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Everyone I know who sends their child to daycare calls it "school," even if said child is an infant. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like a PP, I don't quite understand when and what went wrong with the perfectly fine (to me) term "daycare."

I don't have a problem calling preschool "school". That is something kids that can walk and talk do. But an infant does NOT go to "school". They go to daycare, or a sitter. That is what I mean when I say it drives me crazy. 6 month olds are not going to school.

In the way "school" is used for 6 months or 1.5 yr olds, I feel totally comfortable in saying, " I have homeSCHOOLed my kids since Day 1" because I sing to and read to them (especially when they were under 1) and teach them all. Day. Long including "wash your hands", "make your bed this way", "don't hit your brother", "bake it at 420 degrees for 12 minutes if you want a more crispy crust", and now more often I say "is there another way to solve this word problem?"?

Edited by aomom

I don't have a problem calling preschool "school". That is something kids that can walk and talk do. But an infant does NOT go to "school". They go to daycare, or a sitter. That is what I mean when I say it drives me crazy. 6 month olds are not going to school.

But if they are attending a program that eventually becomes preschool/KG, why does the child need to learn "daycare" now and then change it to "school" later when, as far as the kid is concerned, it's the same thing?

But on a possibly related topic, remember when there was no such thing as "pre-K" or "K4"? It was "preschool" (or, when I was little, "nursery school"). I think people started calling it "pre-K" to emphasize the prep aspect of it, but why is that necessary? Or did it become popular in order to make redshirted kids feel better?

My 3yo goes to "school" everyday. Yes, it's daycare, but who cares? (Well, besides some people here!:tongue_smilie:) He feels like a big boy, and I leave a happy kid in the mornings in a place where he learns all sorts of things "academic." It's even called "___________ Preschool" and has for as long as I can remember.

I'd say it's win-win.

Zero guilt here! Sad for having to stop homeschooling? Yes. Feeling guilty because my 3yo has to go to daycare so we can have a decent standard of living? Nope.:D

As for being a new thing - I don't think it is. My 19yo called his daycare "school" when he was little, too.

But if they are attending a program that eventually becomes preschool/KG, why does the child need to learn "daycare" now and then change it to "school" later when, as far as the kid is concerned, it's the same thing?

But on a possibly related topic, remember when there was no such thing as "pre-K" or "K4"? It was "preschool" (or, when I was little, "nursery school"). I think people started calling it "pre-K" to emphasize the prep aspect of it, but why is that necessary? Or did it become popular in order to make redshirted kids feel better?

That's another way to think about it. Many child care /day care programs have specific PreK and K, K/1 programs, so if you plan to keep your child there from 18 months until actual school age, you would just call it school. My nephew attends a private school with a preschool. The little kids are in 'preschool', but as a K student (his school goes from age 2- to 3rd grade), he referred to himself as in the "primary grades". Which sounds so cute. So, it's a school, open until 5 for extended day, even for the youngest, so it's also child care. But that seems a mouthful. " Little Liza so goes to The Learning Center every day. She has preschool until 3, but then day care from 3-5 at the same place, with the same teachers, in the same class."

Many programs are hybrids, and day care/child care has an educational component, so preschool/school seems correct to me.

Edited by LibraryLover

I know people are saying it's not an 'issue', but the OP did say it drove her crazy. It doesn't drive me crazy, so I don't have an issue. I never even thought about it. :) The child is question is 15 months, and lots of 'preschools' have 15 mos old babies attending, for a variety of reasons.

"I don't have a problem calling preschool "school". That is something kids that can walk and talk do. But an infant does NOT go to "school". They go to daycare, or a sitter. That is what I mean when I say it drives me crazy."

I think that is why some people are wondering if it is an issue. And some of us are trying to explain why some folks say preschool instead of Day Care.

yeah, i guess "natural" means "out of the place with no name." Buddy, if you're asking about my vagina, skip the coyness and be direct. Sheesh.

I see nothing wrong with the word "daycare." I honestly don't care what other peoplle do.

Do you call small people "babies" or even "kids," when, later on, they'll be adults? And for that matter, why not introduce a one year old as attending a PhD program in microbiology? Or say that they're going to work? Do retired people get to say they're going "to the office" when they go golfing or to nap? I don't see what's so toxic or exhausting about change. Most parents teach their kids to say their age, and that changes every year.

A 6 month old can't talk, and isn't calling it anything. I'm referring to how adults refer to it to other adults.

And here people still just call it preschool, not preK.

I know people are saying it's not an 'issue', but the OP did say it drove her crazy. It doesn't drive me crazy, so I don't have an issue. I never even thought about it. :) The child is question is 15 months, and lots of 'preschools' have 15 mos old babies attending, for a variety of reasons.

"I don't have a problem calling preschool "school". That is something kids that can walk and talk do. But an infant does NOT go to "school". They go to daycare, or a sitter. That is what I mean when I say it drives me crazy."

I think that is why some people are wondering if it is an issue. And some of us are trying to explain why some folks say preschool instead of Day Care.

WHOA! I'm the OP. The crazy quote is not from me! I'm the "not an issue, just a topic of conversation" one. It's just something I don't get, and thought I'd ask about while my kids finished lunch.

Do you call small people "babies" or even "kids," when, later on, they'll be adults? And for that matter, why not introduce a one year old as attending a PhD program in microbiology? Or say that they're going to work? Do retired people get to say they're going "to the office" when they go golfing or to nap? I don't see what's so toxic or exhausting about change. Most parents teach their kids to say their age, and that changes every year.

OK, well, apparently this is important to some people. How about I don't call it anything since my kids are now in 1st grade.

BTW, my kids call it "Le Chaperon Rouge School" as they've been taught by their teachers.

I think the facebook post that started all this was meant to be lighthearted. Not to suggest the child has met some sort of academic standard. But I could be wrong.

WHOA! I'm the OP. The crazy quote is not from me! I'm the "not an issue, just a topic of conversation" one. It's just something I don't get, and thought I'd ask about while my kids finished lunch.

FWIW, :iagree: totally with you and I didn't think you came across as finding it to be a big deal. It sort of seemed like, 'why do they do that? Is that the norm?' Not, 'OMG I can't believe they do that!' :)

Oh, and I don't really care how people refer to it to their kids. Nor do I care about how they refer to it, period. I think most people have had similar responses, and that maybe those that don't are the ones that people are noticing, even though they are the minority. :)

Some friends of ours take their kids to daycare and the little girl calls it school. No biggie. They still call it daycare to us, though - especially since one of them is only 6 months old. ;) But if they didn't, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I guess I just don't understand why there seems to be some defensive/hurt/offended feelings here when the majority of people are only discussing it mildly. :001_huh: Not debating it, or making an 'issue' of it, or saying there is anything wrong with it.